Start by marking “The Life and Death of Mr. Badman” as Want to Read:
The Life and Death of Mr. Badman

The Life and Death of Mr. Badman

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This was originally published two years after its far more famous 'twin', The Pilgrim's Progress, and was intended by John Bunyan to exist as a direct contrast to the story of Christian in The Pilgrim's Progress, showing the woes of an unrepentant sinner throughout his life and then at his death.
Paperback
Published by Paperbackshop.Co.UK Ltd - Echo Library (first published September 1680)

To ask other readers questions about The Life and Death of Mr. Badman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life and Death of Mr. Badman

Claude Graves
Good.

Considered the reverse of Pilgrims Progress, this is the story of a man who never repents of his sins, and what his life is like from childhood up until his death. It's set in a conversational teaching format - one man tells the tale and offers commentary while another man asks questions. There were several helpful gems that came with this one, such as Christian standards in business dealings, your work habits, who you hang out with, and how you treat your spouse; which are quite applicable
Jacqueline
This book really helped me with striving. Each chapter of Mr Badman's life covered the importance of a different sin and its consequences. Most of Mr Badman's sins are considered typical in today's standards.
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/201820.html[return][return]Huckleberry Finn says of this book that "The statements was interesting, but tough", which I think is fair. Several things struck me - the unattractiveness of the main character, Christian, who wilfully abandons his family, and having lost his first travelling companion Faithful by gruesome means then becomes a know-all to his new friend Hopeful; the fact that the metaphors and allegory are about as subtle as a brick (actually, a brick is mor ...more
Mikey

It's fairly remarkable how relevant the issues raised are to this day. " The funniest example to me, was how I found myself thinking of Walmart when he was talking about the evils of paying too much or too little for goods and services. But then of course he also deals with other common hot button topics such as abortion (although not by that name). I suppose it should not surprise "no temptation has taken us except what is common to man."

...I would only ask for [ :] prayers that God will give

William Kringel
Aug 01, 2012 William Kringel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Recommended to William by: Just picked it up at a bookstore
I really liked this book. It uses a conversational style which is easy to follow and very down to earth in it's approach. I am a big fan of John Bunyan. While I liked some of his other works better, this one follows the life of a man that chooses to go to hell. It is a great way to show the reader that going to hell is not a one time choice but rather a life time commitment. God reaches out to this man over and over again to try to save him. In order to finally lose his soul this man rejects God ...more
anna
Good and thought provoking and rather convicting book by the Great preacher and writer of Pilgrim's Progress John Bunyan. I didn't entirely agree with the use or application of all the biblical passages.
Bob Ladwig
The tale of an unrepentant man and the effects of his sin and his miserable state. Well written.
Debora Tiur
I really can't enjoy nor understand the story.
Stanley
Stanley marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Allan
Allan marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Dharason
Dharason marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Linda West
Linda West marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Diego Ospina
Diego Ospina marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Tony Durham
Tony Durham marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Coker
Coker marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Christopher A Bortz
Christopher A Bortz is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Christopher A Bortz
Christopher A Bortz marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Jason Waweru
Jason Waweru marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Douglas Herron
Douglas Herron marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Sharon Gray
Sharon Gray marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Desmen Robinson
Desmen Robinson marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Ramil Conde
Ramil Conde marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Razan Nour
Razan Nour marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
John Bunyan, a Christian writer and preacher, was born at Harrowden (one mile south-east of Bedford), in the Parish of Elstow, England. He wrote The Pilgrim's Progress, arguably the most famous published Christian allegory. In the Church of England he is remembered with a Lesser Festival on 30 August.
More about John Bunyan...
The Pilgrim's Progress Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners The Holy War Pilgrim's Progress, Part 2: Christiana Prayer