Start by marking “The Life and Death of Mr. Badman” as Want to Read:
The Life and Death of Mr. Badman

The Life and Death of Mr. Badman

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This was originally published two years after its far more famous 'twin', The Pilgrim's Progress, and was intended by John Bunyan to exist as a direct contrast to the story of Christian in The Pilgrim's Progress, showing the woes of an unrepentant sinner throughout his life and then at his death.
Paperback
Published by Paperbackshop.Co.UK Ltd - Echo Library (first published September 1680)

To ask other readers questions about The Life and Death of Mr. Badman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life and Death of Mr. Badman

Claude Graves
Good.

Considered the reverse of Pilgrims Progress, this is the story of a man who never repents of his sins, and what his life is like from childhood up until his death. It's set in a conversational teaching format - one man tells the tale and offers commentary while another man asks questions. There were several helpful gems that came with this one, such as Christian standards in business dealings, your work habits, who you hang out with, and how you treat your spouse; which are quite applicable
Jacqueline
This book really helped me with striving. Each chapter of Mr Badman's life covered the importance of a different sin and its consequences. Most of Mr Badman's sins are considered typical in today's standards.
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/201820.html[return][return]Huckleberry Finn says of this book that "The statements was interesting, but tough", which I think is fair. Several things struck me - the unattractiveness of the main character, Christian, who wilfully abandons his family, and having lost his first travelling companion Faithful by gruesome means then becomes a know-all to his new friend Hopeful; the fact that the metaphors and allegory are about as subtle as a brick (actually, a brick is mor ...more
Mikey

It's fairly remarkable how relevant the issues raised are to this day. " The funniest example to me, was how I found myself thinking of Walmart when he was talking about the evils of paying too much or too little for goods and services. But then of course he also deals with other common hot button topics such as abortion (although not by that name). I suppose it should not surprise "no temptation has taken us except what is common to man."

...I would only ask for [ :] prayers that God will give

William Kringel
Aug 01, 2012 William Kringel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Recommended to William by: Just picked it up at a bookstore
I really liked this book. It uses a conversational style which is easy to follow and very down to earth in it's approach. I am a big fan of John Bunyan. While I liked some of his other works better, this one follows the life of a man that chooses to go to hell. It is a great way to show the reader that going to hell is not a one time choice but rather a life time commitment. God reaches out to this man over and over again to try to save him. In order to finally lose his soul this man rejects God ...more
Stanley
The entire book is a conversation between Wiseman and Attentive regarding the demise of Mr. Badman. Wiseman basically lectures Attentive (and the reader) on the vices of Mr. Badman in a most long winded fashion. I had thought this would be similar to Pilgrim's Progress however that is not the case. I did not care for this book.
anna
Good and thought provoking and rather convicting book by the Great preacher and writer of Pilgrim's Progress John Bunyan. I didn't entirely agree with the use or application of all the biblical passages.
Bob Ladwig
The tale of an unrepentant man and the effects of his sin and his miserable state. Well written.
Debora Tiur
I really can't enjoy nor understand the story.
Hosein Seraji Jahromi
Hosein Seraji Jahromi marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Mickey Seever
Mickey Seever marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Jk
Jk marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Fa-Botros Peter
Fa-Botros Peter marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Victor Costantini
Victor Costantini marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Francis Oboyi
Francis Oboyi marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
NSHIMIRIMANA Jean
NSHIMIRIMANA Jean marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Helen Owens
Helen Owens marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Sagbohan Prosper
Sagbohan Prosper marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Allan
Allan marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Dharason
Dharason marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
John Bunyan, a Christian writer and preacher, was born at Harrowden (one mile south-east of Bedford), in the Parish of Elstow, England. He wrote The Pilgrim's Progress, arguably the most famous published Christian allegory. In the Church of England he is remembered with a Lesser Festival on 30 August.
More about John Bunyan...
The Pilgrim's Progress Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners The Holy War Pilgrim's Progress, Part 2: Christiana Prayer