Everyday Acts and Small Subversions: Women Reinventing Family, Community and Home

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  5 reviews
"Anndee Hochman helps us to imagine the new possibilities for relationships, rituals and language ... and to understand that when we throw away that rule book we are not alone."--Ms.¶"A wonderful trove of experimentation and possibility."--The Women's Review of Books¶"This book is a homecoming!"--Philadelphia Daily News
Published July 1st 1993 by The Eighth Mountain Press (first published February 1st 1993)

Melody
This was a fascinating look at community and family and what those words mean to different people at different life stages. My only quibble is that the polyamorous crowd was largely ignored, though a lot of other family styles were covered nicely. Some of it is pretty dated, but all of it is interesting. Well-worth reading
Wendy
Jul 05, 2008 Wendy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Melody
Recommended to Wendy by: Laurie
I guess this book is a little dated now--it was even when I read it in 2001--but I think about it often. I love how it shows that there are so many different ways people choose to live their lives, and it reminds me of my camp counselors when I was a kid, many of whom were Portland lesbians like this author.
Stephanie
I found this book in my Dad's collection after he passed away. I can't imagine why he owned it, it does not seem like something he would read. But there it was and being the Sociology Major that I was I read it. What a treat full of great ideas for creating community.
Somebody gave me this book at a time when it was probably Not My Thing, but it turned out to be a fascinating look at the changing definition of family. I've recommended it to several people whose definitions could use a little redefining.
Marita
Feb 12, 2009 Marita is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Um, this is an AWESOME book! It makes you think about how we live our lives everyday and how we want to live our lives!
Amalia
Amalia is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2014
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Janis
Janis marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Mara
Mara marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
Midori Valdivia
Midori Valdivia marked it as to-read
May 08, 2013
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2012
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2012