Start by marking “A Fair Barbarian” as Want to Read:
A Fair Barbarian

A Fair Barbarian

Distributed by the University of Nebraska Press for the University of Idaho Press
Octavia Bassett, a beautiful young heiress from Bloody Gulch, Nevada, unexpectedly descends upon her aunt in the sleepy village of Slowbridge, England. As a young woman raised haphazardly by her father in the Wild West of the 1870s, she finds their customs unnecessarily fastidious and difficul
Published January 1st 1880 by Caxton Press

To ask other readers questions about A Fair Barbarian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fair Barbarian

Jun 11, 2008 Wealhtheow rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Cranford
Shelves: historical
A young, beautiful American heiress descends upon a tiny sleepy English town. Burnett loves gender and class stereotypes; there is nothing she likes more than to write about a lady's delicate features or a man's strong arms, and certainly every member of the lower classes is flatteringly awed by their betters. Nevertheless, the American Octavia Bassett manages to upset the usual mode just a little--when she is asked to marry a handsome, well-bred and rich Englishman, she refuses with composure. ...more
Bree (AnotherLookBook)
A novel about a young American woman who comes to visit her aunt in England, and the effect her unrefined candor has on the conservative inhabitants of the town. 1880.

Frances Hodgson Burnett's books seem to have a way of drawing me in very quickly, before I can even give a thought to what the book might be about. It was that way with A Lady of Quality (known under several different titles) and The Shuttle, although I have yet to finish reading the latter. A Fair Barbarian gets the action of the
Sep 25, 2008 Sariqd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea that she wrote "adult" (and not naughty adult, mind you) books. I loved her children's books like "A Little Princess" and "A Secret Garden" to name a few. Anyway, I liked it because it was quite comical to me how she played up the strict ways of the English folks as compared to the Americans being all wild. A bunch of hooligans, are we? Anyway - the book. I really enjoyed how the American newcomer was mostly oblivious to how her mannerisms were shocking to her fellow English neighb ...more
I have had splendid Sunday time, thanks to this book.

There are funny situations. You can learn something about provincial society in the end of XIX century in England. Especially about their prejudices about America. This book is also about growing to be independent person. There is a love story too, but it is described in such way which fan of modern written romance (also historical romances) won't probably like.
All is written with this kind of English which a foreigner like me, loves.

And the
As, I suspect, with most, my previous exposure to Frances Hodgson Burnett was through The Secret Garden, A Little Princess, and The Lost Prince. Those books are better.
A Fair Barbarian is a harmless and mildly entertaining shift from those child-oriented books to more a young adult's realm. It's pleasantly reminiscent of Jane Austen, though less complex.

The book's strength is the characters, who are interesting and moderately likeable. However, despite a fair-size crew of young men and women loo
Feb 13, 2010 Dianna rated it liked it
The independent, outspoken American millionaire miner's daughter Octavia Basset causes a sensation in the sleepy, Cranford-like town of Slowbridge, England. Frances Hodgson Burnett seems to have had a special interest in American–English relations, having lived in both places.

An fairly quick and moderately entertaining read. The ending felt a bit rushed.
Jeannie Pederson
Apr 08, 2011 Jeannie Pederson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read about a quiet little English village and a young American girl. Slowbridge gets quite the shock when Miss Octavia Bassett arrives on the scene, and the ensuing story is enjoyable and heartwarming. The characters are very believable, and I was intrigued at how well-developed they were for such a short book.

A plus for me was reading this one for free at Project Gutenburg!
Apr 23, 2009 Cera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A charming novel about an American girl who grew up in western mining towns coming to visit her aunt in provincial England. Many contemporary reviewers saw this as an answer to Henry James' "Daisy Miller," which seems rather high praise given Burnett's lack of psychological realism, but it's a very fun, quick novel, and the characters are charming.
Jul 03, 2013 Nagisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1850-1899
I love its theme; an American girl Octavia brings freshness to a dull, conservative English town and challenges its hierarchy. Gradually, the American and the British begin to accept the cultural differences and work toward mutual understanding.
Gemma Alexander
Sep 15, 2015 Gemma Alexander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
For anyone with the patience for Burnett's Victorian language, A Fair Barbarian is a charming read. Hidden under the layers of wardrobe lies a biting social commentary. More than a comedy of manners, Burnett wrote a scathing mockery of conformity and social control. It draws a bit from Jane Austen and foreshadows Cold Comfort Farm. One online reviewer called it a simplified retelling of Henry James' "Daisy Miller," but I can't speak to that because I haven't read it. Burnett's fair barbarian is ...more
Sanya Weathers
A Little Princess, Secret Garden - classics.

Unlike Louisa May Alcott, whose stuff you've never heard of is still largely pretty great, everything else by Ms. Burnett is dated, slapdash, or desperately in need of an editor to cut down the rambling repetitive garbage. (I'm looking at you, Emily Fox-Seton, with hundreds of descriptions of the heroine being humble, but without sufficient verbiage to actually end the damned book.)

However, if you were thinking, "gosh darn it, I've read and reread and
Oct 14, 2014 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 rounded up to 4

This is a cute, funny, enjoyable little tale, with a bit of a twist ending. I really like Burnett's cheerfully independent heroine. While she does have to learn to give in to social mores once and a while, she makes the big decisions on her own, and has a very definite sense of her own worth. The ending, where the supposed love interest is deservedly sent packing, made me want to say, "Hellz yeah!!" out loud.
Tara Lynn
While my usual experience with Burnett has been throug her more popular Secret Garden and a Little Princess, I was very happy to read this book for the first time on It has the same sweet characteristics that are Burnett's trademark, and give me a resolve to finish more of her work.
Gillian Kevern
Hodgson Burnett's fairy tale of wealth, fancy clothes and willfullness rewarded is much less attractive when the characters are adults. The only enjoyable part of this was the slow bloom of Octavia's English counterpart and her romance. The rest of the story rings hollow.
Oct 20, 2014 Theadora rated it did not like it
The only thing that made any of this bearable was Lucia's and Mr. Burmistone's affections. And even that was dry. Everyone's demeanor was dreadful and a lot of the time they were contradicting. Bad characters, bad setting, bad plot.
Mar 21, 2014 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is clever and funny, even as it takes a very critical look at Victorian womanhood. It's perhaps a bit campy, but otherwise it's a quick and delightful read.
Entertaining, I liked it, especially the friendship between the two girls. Strong American girl vs English countryside, 1:0 for the girl.
Samantha Glasser
Read this book for free through Project Gutenberg:
Elise rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2011
Elisabeth rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2012
Sari La Rue
Sari La Rue rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
May 30, 2012
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2013
Suzanne rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2013
Linda K
Linda K rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2010
Jolynn rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Vida rated it it was ok
Sep 29, 2012
Akshita rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2016
Dec 30, 2012 Joanne rated it liked it
A little gem. Nicely written.
I.D. Blind
I.D. Blind rated it really liked it
May 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Rose-Garden Husband
  • Mr. Harrison's Confessions
  • Wired Love: A Romance of Dots and Dashes
  • Miss Billy
  • The Family at Misrule (Woolcots, #2)
  • The Young Visiters
  • The Rosary
  • Bab: A Sub-Deb
  • Lady of Quality/Charity Girl
  • The Agony Column
  • Miss Cayley's Adventures
  • Mother Carey's Chickens
  • A Peep Behind the Scenes
  • Clover (Carr Family, #4)
  • Lady Molly of Scotland Yard
  • The Harvester
  • Jill the Reckless
  • Pearl-Maiden: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem
Frances Eliza Hodgson was the daughter of ironmonger Edwin Hodgson, who died three years after her birth, and his wife Eliza Boond. She was educated at The Select Seminary for Young Ladies and Gentleman until the age of fifteen, at which point the family ironmongery, then being run by her mother, failed, and the family emigrated to Knoxville, Tennessee. Here Hodgson began to write, in order to sup ...more
More about Frances Hodgson Burnett...