Start by marking “The ABC Bunny” as Want to Read:

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  579 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Originally published: [New York: Coward McCann], 1933.
Published July 26th 2004 by Univ Of Minnesota Press (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about The ABC Bunny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The ABC Bunny

Ann
Apr 22, 2012 Ann rated it liked it
Shelves: newbery
I think this particular Newbery Honor book falls solidly into the category if-only-there'd-been-the-Caldecott-before-1938. It's a perfectly pleasant book, but I just can't agree that it works with the text alone. Because it has the song printed at the front of my edition, I was able to read the text (plus some tra-la-la's) by itself before I read the text in the context of the pictures, and I must say that the "story" being told is significantly enhanced by the illustrations. I didn't even reali ...more
Joy
Feb 28, 2016 Joy rated it really liked it
1934 Newbery Honor Book

I know of Wanda Gag because I went to college in New Ulm (her birthplace) and she's kind of famous. As a freshman, my Treble Choir director wrote a song version of Millions of Cats and we had the town's Wanga Gag impersonator show up at our concert to introduce it (yes, yes, there is a Wanda Gag impersonator).

Alphabet books can get tedious but this one is not. It comes with piano music (composed by Wanda's sister) so you can sing the entire book. The rhyme and rhythm is c
Kathryn
Sep 14, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Probably my favorite of Gag's books simply because I actually liked the text for once! Moving through the alphabet, we follow the story, in rhyme (song, if you can read music!), of a bunny's adventures. The rhymes don't "fudge" and the story is cohesive--the illustrations, though B&W, are adorable and vibrant.
Courtney
Apr 13, 2014 Courtney rated it it was ok
Shelves: edutl-2368
Gag, W. The ABC Bunny. Fesler-Lampert Minnesota Heritage (1934).

This is a story about a bunny who has an unfortunate mishap with an Apple, and leaves the town he lives in and encounters many different places and new friends, each beginning with a different letter of the alphabet on his journey.

This is a great introductory book for children learning the alphabet, so a reading level of 2-5 would be most appropriate for this picture book. The cover of the book is very vibrant, however the pictures
Jordan Brown
Mar 24, 2014 Jordan Brown rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-etl-2368
Author: Wanda Gág
Reading level: Ages 5-8

Gág, Wanda (2004) The ABC Bunny Minnesota: University of Minnesota Press

This book appears to be a typical ABC book, but unlike many others I have read and reviewed, this one incorporates a lot of rhyming and other language skills in its text. This is more engaging than the typical "A is for Apples" approach.

The illustrations are curiously in black and white. Although the cover has a limited color pallet, I still expected the inner pages to hav
Josiah
Jan 08, 2010 Josiah rated it it was ok
This alphabet-teaching book is different from most others of its type in three major ways. First, the illustrations by Wanda Gag are clearly a cut or two (or more) above what one would expect to see in such a basic book. These drawings are deep and beautiful in every way; in fact, I could imagine individual pictures from the book as paintings hanging in an art gallery. That's how good they are. Of course, that is just what I have come to expect from an artist such as Wanda Gag.

The second diffe
Becca Buckman
Sep 28, 2011 Becca Buckman rated it liked it
Wanda Ga’g was able to create a wonderful children’s story about the alphabet with her rhyming picture book The ABC Bunny. This story follows a rabbit through the night as he meets many animals, foods and adventures which get him from A-Z. After Bunny is awaken by a fallen apple, he travels elsewhere throughout the night, meeting an Owl, Porcupine and Quail along the way. The picture book fits into the genre of the alphabet.

(a) The rhythmic pattern set throughout the story creates the pace for a
Sara Check
Nov 21, 2011 Sara Check rated it liked it
1.This is an alphabet picture book.

2.Travel with this sweet bunny on his way to elsewhere and through the alphabet where he meets frogs, eats greens and lazy lizards.

3.A. Though this title was written in the 1930’s, it is still current today and probably why it was considered for winning the Newbery Medal. The thought out rhymes, classic characters and monochromatic coloring with only bright red letters make this book a classic.

B.The greatest aspect of this book is the rhyming and phrasing of t
Molly
Apr 19, 2016 Molly rated it liked it
This is an ABC book that is a little different in that it tells an actual story instead of being "A is for Apple" and so on and so forth. In this story, a bunny gets lost and much his way back home. On the way, he encounters many things.

This book is interesting as Wanda Gag collaborated with her siblings to put this together. Her sister, Flavia, wrote the accompanying music that makes the story a song and her brother, Howard, did the lettering. It is a very beautiful book with wonderful illustra
Aide Acuna
Jul 17, 2012 Aide Acuna rated it liked it
The main character in the book is the ABC bunny. He travels to diffferent places and meets new animals like lizards! The main idea in the book is everytime he travels a new letter of the alphabet is introduced and used in a rhyme or riddle. Along with this there is also actual music sheets attatched while the writing is under the music notes. I believe this is an interesting way for students to learn about nature, their alphabet, as well as even music. Although I thought it was clever, I felt th ...more
Gina Diloreto
Apr 12, 2014 Gina Diloreto rated it liked it
Gag, Wanda. "The abc bunny". (2004). Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.

Different than your typical 'ABC' book, this one tells a story. The author uses more than one word per letter. I don't really think the black and white pictures are the best for keeping the attention of young children. Good use of alliteration, rhyming, and patterns.
Tayari Walker
Nov 27, 2015 Tayari Walker rated it it was ok
Shelves: abc-books
In the Alphabet Bunny, Wanda Gag tells a story of a bunny and its day. She presents each letter on a page or sometimes two. Once she presents the letter, she then rhymes words or phrases to describe what is going on with the bunny. The downside to this book is that the illustrations are in black white and grey so it might not catch the children's interest.
Emily Levings
Mar 31, 2014 Emily Levings rated it liked it
Shelves: ed-t-l-2368
Gag, W. (1933). The ABC Bunny. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.

I think this is great for younger children, probably ages 4-5. The book helps children with their vocabulary. I think it is a very cute book for children just learning to read.
Tricia Douglas
A great little ABC book that I read for our GR Newbery group. Written in 1933 this book has wonderful illustrations and a story to help make the ABC's interesting. Something from 'long ago' to have in your children's book collection!
Siskiyou-Suzy
May 03, 2016 Siskiyou-Suzy rated it really liked it
These illustrations are magnificent and wonderful. They create this whole little world that is somehow magical and mystical and a little bit eerie while being cozy. It's just fantastic. I can see that this book is in no way obscure, but it's new to me. It's lovely, even if some of the letter usage is a bit of a stretch.
Monica Fastenau
Feb 02, 2016 Monica Fastenau rated it liked it
Read the full review here: http://newberyandbeyond.com/newbery-b...

This is a rhyming ABC book that tells the story of a bunny and his adventures, complete with black and white illustrations and a song you can sing with your child. (Interestingly, Gag’s sister and brother were the ones who wrote the song and drew the illustrations.) It’s pretty darn cute.
Meg McGregor
Aug 24, 2015 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bunny must find his way back to Bunnyland and visits every letter of the alphabet on his way back home.

The black and white pictures are exquisite!

A really good way to teach little ones their ABC's.
Jaime Contreras
Feb 26, 2014 Jaime Contreras rated it it was amazing
This is very clever alphabet-teaching tool that is also a great children's tale of adventure and courage. My daughters loved this book. I still remember this book to this day.
Shanna Gonzalez
Jun 02, 2009 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-00-04
This Newbery Honor book is a beautifully rendered alphabet set to an original song (musical score included). It tells a minimal story, illustrated in pleasing and original black-and-white drawings. Singing books are great for holding very young children's attention, and this one also includes some unusual word choices and enjoyable animal pictures that will keep the attention of kids from 3-6. It is an excellent choice when seeking to appeal to both ages, or as a supplement for alphabet memoriza ...more
Angie
This is a sweet little book, but I have no idea why it's a Newbery book- there is no story at all. The pictures are very cute, but that's all there is to it.
Grant Stephens
Nov 29, 2015 Grant Stephens added it
Shelves: abc
Cool book for learning your ABC's. It rhymes so it can be read to the toon of a song and the class can learn another way to sing their ABC's
Patrician Day
It was an interesting way of getting a child to learn their letters by association. The illustrations were well drawn and very vibrant
Tortla
Jun 22, 2015 Tortla rated it it was ok
Shelves: chidderbooks, animals
The illustrations were pretty nice. Not memorable otherwise. Probably not the book's fault, though.
Maxine
Apr 21, 2014 Maxine rated it it was amazing
Sweet book. My 4 year old and 8 year old like the rhymes and the illustration was pretty.
Dec 07, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute - but much more a Caldecott book than a Newbery
Michelle
Feb 24, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Okay, this was one of my favorite books when I was a little girl. As an adult, my Mom got it to read to my eldest son, and even though I didn't even remember the book, I could quote it along with her. Guess we read it THAT much!

All my children have loved this book, and Little Boy Number Five is no exception. We have silly sounds, etc. for every page, and we trace the ABC letters with our fingers to learn the alphabet. So fun! (And it lends itself well to chanting it together as you drive down th
Scott Williams
2affa5c8-628b-4033-879d-1bd92b8926e3
Indah Threez Lestari
150 - 2016
Jeffrey
Sep 29, 2014 Jeffrey rated it liked it
A very sweet ABC
Mrswash
The ABC Bunny book is not your typical A is for apple, B is for Bat, C is for Cat book. This ABC bunny’s E is for elsewhere in a flash, and his F-Frog is fat an funny; and says to the bunny “looks like rain.” X is for eXit-off, away. Well, I have never sang that ABC song. It’s funny, there is a music sheet for the song, but of course I can’t read a bit of music. I was wondering why the illustrations are so dark for a children’s book. The cover is nice and cheerful, but open the book and it is do ...more
12 Month Loans 1 1 Jan 01, 2015 02:09AM
  • The Loner
  • Bright Island
  • Sugaring Time
  • Frontier Living: An Illustrated Guide to Pioneer Life in America
Wanda Hazel Gág (March 11, 1893–June 27, 1946)[1] was an American author and illustrator. She was born on March 11, 1893, in New Ulm, Minnesota. Her mother (Elisabeth Biebl) and father (Anton) were of Bohemian descent. Both parents were artists who had met in Germany. They had seven children, who all acquired some level of artistic talent. Wanda grew up the eldest of these, and despite their econo ...more
More about Wanda Gág...