Start by marking “Batman: Child of Dreams” as Want to Read:
Batman: Child of Dreams

Batman: Child of Dreams (Batman)

When a crime spree takes the Dark Knight from the familiar turf of Gotham City across the globe to Tokyo, he finds himself locked in mortal combat with his greatest enemies - but are they really what they appear to be?
Paperback
Published March 1st 2004 by Titan Books (UK) (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Garrett
Feb 24, 2017 Garrett rated it liked it
Tyas
Nov 09, 2008 Tyas rated it liked it
The full review was published in Animonster. This review has been abridged.

Wizard, sebuah majalah untuk komunitas pecinta komik di AS, pernah berseloroh: “Dibandingkan dengan manga yang tebal-tebal, komik-komik AS terlihat seperti lembaran-lembaran iklan belaka.” Memang, begitu banyak perbedaan antara komik buatan AS dengan Jepang. Bukan hanya masalah tebal-tipisnya satu volume komik. Gaya penceritaan, gaya gambar, bahkan hingga target pembaca dan tipikal seorang hero juga biasanya berbeda. Nah,
Peter Kelly
Dec 31, 2015 Peter Kelly rated it really liked it
Kia Asamyia’s Batman: Child of Dreams is the perfect fusion of Japanese and Western comic styles.

Historically, my biggest trouble with manga has been the absurd cartoonish styles, and how each volume only captures a small portion of a wider story arc. Most of my books I get from libraries, so with Japanese comics I’m only likely to be able to read one or two volumes from each series. This often means that I’m parachuted into a story without any understanding of previous events, and that the volu
Peter Christian
Sep 05, 2013 Peter Christian rated it it was ok
Tyler Hill
Jul 24, 2013 Tyler Hill rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2013
The art deserves at least three stars, but the overlong and plodding storyline drags the whole affair down and made getting to the end seem like more of a chore than it should have. Some of that plodding was probably a result of the fact that the story was originally told as a serial, and -I imagine- there is a bit of padding and recapping that comes with the format. Still, too much of the story's direction was too apparent too early, which undermined the drama and suspense.

It also doesn't help
Martin
Feb 08, 2012 Martin rated it really liked it
"There's a drug on the streets of Gotham that will make the user's dreams come true. For a minute, for an hour, for a whole night if that person's lucky, he/she can become one of Batman's greatest enemies. It's up to Batman to find the supplier for this surreal and deadly drug, and the search takes him to Tokyo, for a confrontation with the ultimate chemically enhanced enemy."

I was glad to find gem at a local comic shop, as it's been out-of-print for a while. This Batman à la japonnaise was a ve
Rob McMonigal
Batman, aging gracefully, faces off against mysterious clones of his rogue's gallery, ranging from Two-Face to the Joker. Meanwhile, a young Japanese reporter wants to interview him, and has the backing of her mysterious uncle, a powerful man in the pharmaceutical lines. When a fake Joker starts handing out pills, Bats puts two and two together and heads to Japan where he must face off against his own worst enemy--himself!

While this all sounds like a good plot line, it's bogged down in a romanc
Justyn Rampa
Sep 27, 2010 Justyn Rampa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nearly 350 pages later, I can say that I very much enjoyed this Batmanga tale. The concept was ridiculously creative, the artwork was very well done, and both were done by the same man which is impressive. Kia Asamiya has become the first Japanese comic artist to work on Batman and you can tell from the story that he is very much a fan.

The translation was done by Max Allan Collins, the man who took over for Chester Gould on Dick Tracy for 15 years, and he did a fantastic job in translation.

The l
Beckiezra
Jun 02, 2012 Beckiezra rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics-manga
I couldn't get through this, it just wasn't holding my attention. The art wasn't a style I particularly liked but it was fine, except I think they'd reversed it from it's Japanese printing. Two-face having his face backwards kind of started my dislike.

I just didn't care for where the story was going, or maybe more specifically I couldn't be bothered to care about the new main guest reporter character. Things I like about manga I apparently do not like mixed in with my Batman, but I don't know if
Andrew
Oct 13, 2014 Andrew rated it really liked it
I used to love comic books an the like when I was much younger and with Hollywood's interpretations of most of my childhood heroes I guess things would come full circle some day!!
I am not a big reader of graphic novels on fact other than Maus this is my first...I found this at a charity shop and was curious enough to pick it up..ultimately I'm glad I did.
I understand this was Batmans first foray into the Manga form..since this there could have been others I have no idea however the art is good a
M
Aug 01, 2011 M rated it really liked it
In this tale by Japanese artist Kia Asamiya, things are not always as they seem. After battles with famous Gotham rogues, Batman notices that the villains are demonstrating strange looks and behaviors. An investigation into the oddity yields a designer drug from Japan. Able to allow someone to literally live out their dream, this narcotic transforms citizens into their greatest desire - only to kill them upon the end of the drug's course. The Dark Knight must head to the Orient to confront his b ...more
Angela
Sep 21, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, manga, dc
This is surprisingly good, with a very clever storyline. A Japanese reporter comes to Gotham for an interview with Batman, at the same time all his old foes start appearing. This is illustrated in black and white, totally the manga style. Don't let this put you off, the artwork is outstanding and really helps to tell the story. It's flipped (from the manga original) but that should not put purists off from reading this. A very good read.
Sam
May 29, 2012 Sam rated it it was ok
This was a strange comic. In fact, it was a story that didn't feel cohesive in the slightest, and the portrayal of some of the characters felt very off putting. There's typos, the plot feels lacking and the whole 'drug' concept was such a cop out half the time that I struggled to give a crap.

One thing I will admit to though is that the artwork is stunning! Very, very pretty. I also adored the whole look of the characters, especially the robo-Batman!
Feather Mista
Oct 16, 2010 Feather Mista marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Veremos...
Recommended to Feather by: Personaje y autor
Parece improbable que termine consiguiendo este tomo, pero como me gusta Batman y me gusta Asamiya (al menos eso recuerdo de cuando leía Silent Moebius), seguro quede pendiente hasta que me las ingenie para leerlo de algún lado.
Alex Sarll
A manga Batman, re-scripted by Max Allan Collins and far better than his Road to Perdition. Has a better excuse than these stories normally manage for bringing in all the classic villains, and some really astonishing cityscapes.
Finda
Apr 11, 2008 Finda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buku-koleksiku
I'm a BIG FAN of Batman, this book's reveal's Batman from the other side , written nicely by Kia Asamiya ...manga creator from Japan ....combining two style>> manga and US Comics....... nice Book's....
Matt Piechocinski
Jun 30, 2013 Matt Piechocinski rated it really liked it
Beautiful.
Iori
Jun 03, 2008 Iori rated it it was amazing
the art is fantastic the story good .
Kristy Buzbee
Oct 06, 2008 Kristy Buzbee rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I liked the mix of American comics and Japanese manga style. The storyline itself was interesting, though the mastermind behind it all was a little contrived.
Robert
Apr 12, 2009 Robert rated it did not like it
Batman meets manga ... with limited success.
Kieran
Mar 04, 2013 Kieran rated it liked it
Solid but not particularly innovative story, interesting but variable quality artwork, but nevertheless worth reading for the refreshing manga take on Batman.
Ryan Mishap
Dec 18, 2008 Ryan Mishap rated it liked it
A dark, anti-technology (perhaps?) take on Batman from a Japanese comic hero. I can never get enough dark batman comics and this one is worth checking out if you are the fan of the Bat.
Joseph Young
Batman meets Japanese manga.
Interesting take on Batman, but those noses...
Randy Pradhana
Jul 04, 2016 Randy Pradhana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice fusion between Batman and Manga.
Yulianto Qin
Feb 21, 2013 Yulianto Qin rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic
art-nya agak aneh... mungkin Batman memang tidak cocok dengan manga style.
Yuri Peixoto
Nov 11, 2013 Yuri Peixoto rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Boa leitura e ótima interpretação do personagem
Matt
Feb 27, 2010 Matt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: batman, graphic-novel
Anime version that sees Batman going to Japan to combat hallucinogenic drugs that are killing people. Pretty sweet.
Raunaq
Apr 03, 2014 Raunaq rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Some interesting developments during the movement but nothing extraordinary. I did enjoy Asamiyas visual style.
David
Dec 20, 2013 David rated it it was ok
Shelves: batman
Nontraditional Batman story by a Japanese author. The main villain is a pharmaceutical manufacturer / mad genius with progeria. The plotline follows a Japanese reporter named Yuko Yagi.
JE
JE rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2013
  • Batman: War Drums
  • Batman Animated
  • Toriko, Vol. 02
61967
Kia Asamiya(麻宮 騎亜, born in 1963) is the pen-name of a popular Japanese manga artist whose work spans multiple genres and appeals to diverse audiences (1990s).

He is well-known for using influences from American comics, television, and movies in his work, and describes himself as a big fan of both Batman and Star Wars. One of the most widely-published Japanese manga-ka, nearly all of his stories hav
More about Kia Asamiya...

Batman (1 - 10 of 367 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1