Start by marking “Batman: Child of Dreams” as Want to Read:
Batman: Child of Dreams

Batman: Child of Dreams (Batman)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  582 ratings  ·  30 reviews
When a crime spree takes the Dark Knight from the familiar turf of Gotham City across the globe to Tokyo, he finds himself locked in mortal combat with his greatest enemies - but are they really what they appear to be?
Paperback
Published March 1st 2004 by Titan Books (UK) (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Batman by Alan MooreBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Jeph LoebBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Grant Morrison
Best of Batman
161st out of 336 books — 564 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Required Reading Graphic Novels
431st out of 767 books — 1,378 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrew
I used to love comic books an the like when I was much younger and with Hollywood's interpretations of most of my childhood heroes I guess things would come full circle some day!!
I am not a big reader of graphic novels on fact other than Maus this is my first...I found this at a charity shop and was curious enough to pick it up..ultimately I'm glad I did.
I understand this was Batmans first foray into the Manga form..since this there could have been others I have no idea however the art is good a
Tyas
The full review was published in Animonster. This review has been abridged.

Wizard, sebuah majalah untuk komunitas pecinta komik di AS, pernah berseloroh: “Dibandingkan dengan manga yang tebal-tebal, komik-komik AS terlihat seperti lembaran-lembaran iklan belaka.” Memang, begitu banyak perbedaan antara komik buatan AS dengan Jepang. Bukan hanya masalah tebal-tipisnya satu volume komik. Gaya penceritaan, gaya gambar, bahkan hingga target pembaca dan tipikal seorang hero juga biasanya berbeda. Nah,
Martin
"There's a drug on the streets of Gotham that will make the user's dreams come true. For a minute, for an hour, for a whole night if that person's lucky, he/she can become one of Batman's greatest enemies. It's up to Batman to find the supplier for this surreal and deadly drug, and the search takes him to Tokyo, for a confrontation with the ultimate chemically enhanced enemy."

I was glad to find gem at a local comic shop, as it's been out-of-print for a while. This Batman à la japonnaise was a ve
Peter Christian
Tyler Hill
The art deserves at least three stars, but the overlong and plodding storyline drags the whole affair down and made getting to the end seem like more of a chore than it should have. Some of that plodding was probably a result of the fact that the story was originally told as a serial, and -I imagine- there is a bit of padding and recapping that comes with the format. Still, too much of the story's direction was too apparent too early, which undermined the drama and suspense.

It also doesn't help
Trebro
Batman, aging gracefully, faces off against mysterious clones of his rogue's gallery, ranging from Two-Face to the Joker. Meanwhile, a young Japanese reporter wants to interview him, and has the backing of her mysterious uncle, a powerful man in the pharmaceutical lines. When a fake Joker starts handing out pills, Bats puts two and two together and heads to Japan where he must face off against his own worst enemy--himself!

While this all sounds like a good plot line, it's bogged down in a romanc
Justyn Rampa
Nearly 350 pages later, I can say that I very much enjoyed this Batmanga tale. The concept was ridiculously creative, the artwork was very well done, and both were done by the same man which is impressive. Kia Asamiya has become the first Japanese comic artist to work on Batman and you can tell from the story that he is very much a fan.

The translation was done by Max Allan Collins, the man who took over for Chester Gould on Dick Tracy for 15 years, and he did a fantastic job in translation.

The l
Beckiezra
I couldn't get through this, it just wasn't holding my attention. The art wasn't a style I particularly liked but it was fine, except I think they'd reversed it from it's Japanese printing. Two-face having his face backwards kind of started my dislike.

I just didn't care for where the story was going, or maybe more specifically I couldn't be bothered to care about the new main guest reporter character. Things I like about manga I apparently do not like mixed in with my Batman, but I don't know if
M
In this tale by Japanese artist Kia Asamiya, things are not always as they seem. After battles with famous Gotham rogues, Batman notices that the villains are demonstrating strange looks and behaviors. An investigation into the oddity yields a designer drug from Japan. Able to allow someone to literally live out their dream, this narcotic transforms citizens into their greatest desire - only to kill them upon the end of the drug's course. The Dark Knight must head to the Orient to confront his b ...more
Sam
This was a strange comic. In fact, it was a story that didn't feel cohesive in the slightest, and the portrayal of some of the characters felt very off putting. There's typos, the plot feels lacking and the whole 'drug' concept was such a cop out half the time that I struggled to give a crap.

One thing I will admit to though is that the artwork is stunning! Very, very pretty. I also adored the whole look of the characters, especially the robo-Batman!
Angela
This is surprisingly good, with a very clever storyline. A Japanese reporter comes to Gotham for an interview with Batman, at the same time all his old foes start appearing. This is illustrated in black and white, totally the manga style. Don't let this put you off, the artwork is outstanding and really helps to tell the story. It's flipped (from the manga original) but that should not put purists off from reading this. A very good read.
Joseph Young
Batman meets Japanese manga.
Interesting take on Batman, but those noses...
Raunaq
Some interesting developments during the movement but nothing extraordinary. I did enjoy Asamiyas visual style.
Alex Sarll
A manga Batman, re-scripted by Max Allan Collins and far better than his Road to Perdition. Has a better excuse than these stories normally manage for bringing in all the classic villains, and some really astonishing cityscapes.
Federiken Masters
Oct 16, 2010 Federiken Masters marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Veremos...
Recommended to Federiken by: Personaje y autor
Parece improbable que termine consiguiendo este tomo, pero como me gusta Batman y me gusta Asamiya (al menos eso recuerdo de cuando leía Silent Moebius), seguro quede pendiente hasta que me las ingenie para leerlo de algún lado.
David
Nontraditional Batman story by a Japanese author. The main villain is a pharmaceutical manufacturer / mad genius with progeria. The plotline follows a Japanese reporter named Yuko Yagi.
Finda
I'm a BIG FAN of Batman, this book's reveal's Batman from the other side , written nicely by Kia Asamiya ...manga creator from Japan ....combining two style>> manga and US Comics....... nice Book's....
Ryan Mishap
A dark, anti-technology (perhaps?) take on Batman from a Japanese comic hero. I can never get enough dark batman comics and this one is worth checking out if you are the fan of the Bat.
Kristy Buzbee
I liked the mix of American comics and Japanese manga style. The storyline itself was interesting, though the mastermind behind it all was a little contrived.
Kieran
Solid but not particularly innovative story, interesting but variable quality artwork, but nevertheless worth reading for the refreshing manga take on Batman.
Matt
Anime version that sees Batman going to Japan to combat hallucinogenic drugs that are killing people. Pretty sweet.
Yulianto Qin
art-nya agak aneh... mungkin Batman memang tidak cocok dengan manga style.
Robert
Batman meets manga ... with limited success.
Yuri Peixoto
Boa leitura e ótima interpretação do personagem
Mariyam
Loved the art and a great story.
Iori
the art is fantastic the story good .
Anthony

Pretty pictures. That's about it.
Chris
  • Batman: Long Shadows
  • Batman: Venom
  • Shade, the Changing Man, Vol. 2: Edge of Vision
61967
Kia Asamiya(麻宮 騎亜, born in 1963) is the pen-name of a popular Japanese manga artist whose work spans multiple genres and appeals to diverse audiences (1990s).

He is well-known for using influences from American comics, television, and movies in his work, and describes himself as a big fan of both Batman and Star Wars. One of the most widely-published Japanese manga-ka, nearly all of his stories hav
More about Kia Asamiya...

Batman (1 - 10 of 367 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 7
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 8
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 9
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 10
Silent Mobius, Vol. 1 (Silent Mobius, #1) Silent Mobius, Vol. 2 (Silent Mobius, #2) Silent Mobius, Vol. 3 (Silent Mobius, #3) Silent Mobius, Vol. 4 (Silent Mobius, #4) Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace, Volume 2