Start by marking “S, M, L, XL” as Want to Read:
S, M, L, XL

S, M, L, XL

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  1,224 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
"S, M, L, XL" presents a selection of the remarkable visionary design work produced by the Dutch firm Office for Metropolitan Architecture (O.M.A.) and its acclaimed founder, Rem Koolhaas, in its first twenty years, along with a variety of insightful, often poetic writings. The inventive collaboration between Koolhaas and designer Bruce Mau is a graphic overture that weave ...more
Hardcover, Second Edition, 1344 pages
Published October 1st 1997 by Monacelli Press (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about S, M, L, XL, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about S, M, L, XL

Andrew
Nov 09, 2008 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read this until now. I was too cheap to buy it as a student, and there was no way I could check it out from my college library (damned grad students could recall any book). I know that for many people (Ben specifically) it was formative of their view of architecture, which must have been very valuable.

To me, though, I think that it is valuable to come to this late. I am less dismissive to this now than I may have been before (I was dismissive of many things that I didn't understand earl
Antonia
Jun 08, 2015 Antonia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: architecture
I realized that architecture is the ultimate form of art when I saw the Seattle Public Library designed by Rem Koolhaas. Admittedly, until then I haven't expressed any interest about architecture, but seeing this impressive building I was fascinated. Ever since I got obsessed with buildings and spaces.
Rem Koolhaus is the pioneer of post-modern architecture and this tremendous volume is a must-read and inspiration to anyone who is interested in this form of art.
Kevin
it's the real novel. nothing gaddis vollman bolano wallace makes come close to this thing, and the fact is, it's not always fact, it's perception about a communal but led struggle to absorb MANY ideas and then transform them with physical-material things. brain projections. the emortions of many instead of one. the reverse of the Randian nightmare. and the struggle is in public as much as possible. with a glossary straight out of flaubert.
Kate
Nov 09, 2016 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: planners, builders, visionaries, flower-pressers
Recommended to Kate by: Inside Design Now
"Monuments are embarrassing to Dutch culture: it is not that there is nothing to remember, but Protestant ethics suspect icons that embody, then supposedly trigger reminiscence. A monument compromises any memory's authenticity."
Imran Ali
Sep 21, 2016 Imran Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book got me through my Architecture Diploma. Essential for understanding urbanisation and the design of cities.
Christopher
Apr 25, 2011 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Important book on the ever changing and complex world of architecture. This book opened a lot of new perspectives on architecture for me as a young student in architecture school. For one thing this quasi-monograph takes an unorthodox and interesting way of representing the work of Koolhaas and the Office of Metropolitan Architecture. Some projects are represented with only images and some notes and others are dense essays on the state of cities/economics. As the title reads, the subject matter ...more
engkiat
Mar 13, 2007 engkiat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: architecture
Rem Koolhaas has established himself as one of the major thinkers of this architectural era beginning with his seminal Delirious New York: A Retroactive Manifesto for Manhattan. A decade after it is written, the ideas in S,M,L,XL still serve as thought-provokers in the never-ending debate on post-modernity. And not forgetting of course that this is the architectural tome whose format spawned a million copy-cats and wanna-bes.

Read it because you have to; it is the post-modern era's Towards a Ne
Aditya
Nov 15, 2012 Aditya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Im not even into architecture. But i absolutely loved this book. Its a NOVEL as such. and so MAD in its telling. its all the projects done by OMA in the field of architecture ranging from their small to XL projects. As random as someone calling them ot a vacant plot of land in Paris and saying i want this odd shaped house and from a particular height on a particular part of the land you can see the eiffel tower so here i want a swimming pool. And they've built this crazy home and it rocks!
Mike Bularz
Nov 03, 2009 Mike Bularz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: at-cod-library
An exhaustive collection of years of design work by OMA, Rem, etc. arranged into groups by project size. From an interactive bus stop (S) to massive planning projects and proposed concepts (XL), finishing this opened my mind up and helped me think about urbanism, architecture, and design from different perspectives, and will be a good launching point for finding less mundane material related to planning and architecture.
Brandon
Jul 14, 2007 Brandon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i'm not down on rem, i just think he's full of himself.
that's not even a discussion point. i think it's pretty much accepted that he's full of himself, but he has had an interesting effect on architecture.

don't read the definitions. or, read the definitions on clouds. those are my favorite, though i have to admit i stopped reading them in depth.
Isa Braunstein
Apr 19, 2014 Isa Braunstein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An explosion of creativity. I remember reading this in college and couldn't help but be inspired to go out and create something, something different. It's a book chocked full of raw creativity. I dare you to 'observe' 10 pages of this book and not start planning a project of some kind.
Hilman
Jul 31, 2007 Hilman rated it really liked it
Bulk book...

Tebelnya bisa ngegencet lalat sampe gepeng, tapi dalemnya ngga mulu teks. Bruce Mau mengkombinasikan visualisasi abstrak modern melalui sentuhan grafisnya untuk menjabarkan ideologi Rem Koolhaas dalam mengurai arsitektur.
Abraham
Mar 25, 2012 Abraham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: architecture
Been wanting this book for some time. But jeez, am I really going to read this whole thing? I have already read parts separately, and loved the excess of it.
sergio magaña andaluz
dificil de leer pero interesante... sirve mejor para detenr la puerta u otros libros... por aqullo del tamaño...ja
Patricia
Dude, man. What's the point in even trying to write when Koolhaas is out there doing things like this with words?
Samudyatha
Oct 15, 2014 Samudyatha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! full of anecdotes and the progression of OMA as a body of work through time expressed clearly.
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2014
G
G rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2013
Alaa
Alaa rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2013
Online
Online rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2013
Fred
Fred rated it really liked it
May 06, 2012
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2011
Elmira
Elmira rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2008
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2011
Cristina Goberna
Cristina Goberna rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2012
Greg Crawford
Greg Crawford rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2010
Brett Wilbur
Brett Wilbur rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2015
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2014
  • Learning from Las Vegas: The Forgotten Symbolism of Architectural Form
  • Yes is More: An Archicomic on Architectural Evolution
  • Thinking Architecture
  • The BLDGBLOG Book
  • The Architecture of the City
  • Towards a New Architecture
  • Modern Architecture: A Critical History (World of Art)
  • Modern Architecture Since 1900
  • The Four Books of Architecture
  • Genius Loci: Towards a Phenomenology of Architecture
  • The Ten Books on Architecture

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Remmert Lucas Koolhaas (born 17 November 1944) is a Dutch architect, architectural theorist, urbanist and "Professor in Practice of Architecture and Urban Design" at the Graduate School of Design at Harvard University, USA. Koolhaas studied at the Netherlands Film and Television Academy in Amsterdam, at the Architectural Association School of Architecture in London and at Cornell University in Ith ...more
More about Rem Koolhaas...

“Architecture is a hazardous mixture of omnipotence and impotence. It is by definition a c h a o t i c a d v e n t u r e... In other words, the utopian enterprise.” 11 likes