Start by marking “S, M, L, XL” as Want to Read:
S, M, L, XL

S, M, L, XL

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  903 ratings  ·  31 reviews
S,M,L,XL presents a selection of the remarkable visionary design work produced by the Dutch firm Office for Metropolitan Architecture (O.M.A.) and its acclaimed founder, Rem Koolhaas, in its first twenty years, along with a variety of insightful, often poetic writings. The inventive collaboration between Koolhaas and designer Bruce Mau is a graphic overture that weaves tog ...more
Hardcover, Second Edition, 1376 pages
Published October 1st 1997 by Monacelli Press (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about S, M, L, XL, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about S, M, L, XL

Andrew
I didn't read this until now. I was too cheap to buy it as a student, and there was no way I could check it out from my college library (damned grad students could recall any book). I know that for many people (Ben specifically) it was formative of their view of architecture, which must have been very valuable.

To me, though, I think that it is valuable to come to this late. I am less dismissive to this now than I may have been before (I was dismissive of many things that I didn't understand earl
Kevin
it's the real novel. nothing gaddis vollman bolano wallace makes come close to this thing, and the fact is, it's not always fact, it's perception about a communal but led struggle to absorb MANY ideas and then transform them with physical-material things. brain projections. the emortions of many instead of one. the reverse of the Randian nightmare. and the struggle is in public as much as possible. with a glossary straight out of flaubert.
Christopher
Important book on the ever changing and complex world of architecture. This book opened a lot of new perspectives on architecture for me as a young student in architecture school. For one thing this quasi-monograph takes an unorthodox and interesting way of representing the work of Koolhaas and the Office of Metropolitan Architecture. Some projects are represented with only images and some notes and others are dense essays on the state of cities/economics. As the title reads, the subject matter ...more
Isa Braunstein
An explosion of creativity. I remember reading this in college and couldn't help but be inspired to go out and create something, something different. It's a book chocked full of raw creativity. I dare you to 'observe' 10 pages of this book and not start planning a project of some kind.
Samudyatha Subbarama
WOW! full of anecdotes and the progression of OMA as a body of work through time expressed clearly.
engkiat
Rem Koolhaas has established himself as one of the major thinkers of this architectural era beginning with his seminal Delirious New York: A Retroactive Manifesto for Manhattan. A decade after it is written, the ideas in S,M,L,XL still serve as thought-provokers in the never-ending debate on post-modernity. And not forgetting of course that this is the architectural tome whose format spawned a million copy-cats and wanna-bes.

Read it because you have to; it is the post-modern era's Towards a Ne
Ilmije
Apr 04, 2014 Ilmije added it
greaat
Aditya
Im not even into architecture. But i absolutely loved this book. Its a NOVEL as such. and so MAD in its telling. its all the projects done by OMA in the field of architecture ranging from their small to XL projects. As random as someone calling them ot a vacant plot of land in Paris and saying i want this odd shaped house and from a particular height on a particular part of the land you can see the eiffel tower so here i want a swimming pool. And they've built this crazy home and it rocks!
Antonia
I realized that architecture is the ultimate form of art when I saw the Seattle Public Library designed by Rem Koolhaas. Admittedly, until then I haven't expressed any interest about architecture, but seeing this impressive building I was fascinated. Ever since I got obsessed with buildings and spaces.
Rem Koolhaus is the pioneer of post-modern architecture and this tremendous volume is a must-read and inspiration to anyone who is interested in this form of art.
Mike Bularz
An exhaustive collection of years of design work by OMA, Rem, etc. arranged into groups by project size. From an interactive bus stop (S) to massive planning projects and proposed concepts (XL), finishing this opened my mind up and helped me think about urbanism, architecture, and design from different perspectives, and will be a good launching point for finding less mundane material related to planning and architecture.
Brandon
i'm not down on rem, i just think he's full of himself.
that's not even a discussion point. i think it's pretty much accepted that he's full of himself, but he has had an interesting effect on architecture.

don't read the definitions. or, read the definitions on clouds. those are my favorite, though i have to admit i stopped reading them in depth.
Hilman
Bulk book...

Tebelnya bisa ngegencet lalat sampe gepeng, tapi dalemnya ngga mulu teks. Bruce Mau mengkombinasikan visualisasi abstrak modern melalui sentuhan grafisnya untuk menjabarkan ideologi Rem Koolhaas dalam mengurai arsitektur.
Abraham
Been wanting this book for some time. But jeez, am I really going to read this whole thing? I have already read parts separately, and loved the excess of it.
Patricia
Dude, man. What's the point in even trying to write when Koolhaas is out there doing things like this with words?
sergio magaña andaluz
dificil de leer pero interesante... sirve mejor para detenr la puerta u otros libros... por aqullo del tamaño...ja
Tricia Perdigon
a bit difficult to read, but once understood its very inspiring. Difference in structures by size.
George
... & this collection of all that constitutes human wit will be my pillow.
Raquel
one of the most important books to illustrate modern architecture
Atelcs
Jan 25, 2008 Atelcs rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Atelcs by: zac whittenburg
If you're going to bother to think, you might as well think big.
rossi awan
it's a novel of architecture
very inspiring me...
Amanda
Nov 13, 2008 Amanda marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i own this but haven't read much of it yet.
Dave
Aug 28, 2009 Dave marked it as to-read
I am ostensibly reading this at the moment.
Less_cunning
"a déjà vu that never ends..."
Arun
Oct 07, 2012 Arun marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I wish someone has copy of it...
Hung
No, I haven't read the whole thing.
Wanda
Aug 20, 2007 Wanda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: architect
Shelves: architecture
its full of architect great works!
Rubén
big book from a big thinker
Alireza
Bible of Architecture!
Scott Suthren
Sends your mind spinning.
  • Thinking Architecture
  • Learning from Las Vegas: The Forgotten Symbolism of Architectural Form
  • Yes is More: An Archicomic on Architectural Evolution
  • Towards a New Architecture
  • Modern Architecture: A Critical History (World of Art)
  • The Architecture of the City
  • Experiencing Architecture
  • The Eyes of the Skin: Architecture and the Senses
  • Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
  • Space, Time and Architecture: The Growth of a New Tradition
  • Lessons for Students in Architecture
  • Modern Architecture Since 1900
  • The Image of the City
  • Theorizing a New Agenda for Architecture:: An Anthology of Architectural Theory 1965 - 1995
  • The BLDGBLOG Book
  • The Four Books of Architecture
  • The Ten Books on Architecture
  • The Phaidon Atlas of Contemporary World Architecture
Remmert Lucas Koolhaas (born 17 November 1944) is a Dutch architect, architectural theorist, urbanist and "Professor in Practice of Architecture and Urban Design" at the Graduate School of Design at Harvard University, USA. Koolhaas studied at the Netherlands Film and Television Academy in Amsterdam, at the Architectural Association School of Architecture in London and at Cornell University in Ith ...more
More about Rem Koolhaas...
Delirious New York: A Retroactive Manifesto for Manhattan Content Mutations Project Japan. Metabolism Talks... Oma/Rem Koolhaas, 1987 1998

“Architecture is a hazardous mixture of omnipotence and impotence. It is by definition a c h a o t i c a d v e n t u r e... In other words, the utopian enterprise.” 7 likes