Start by marking “Bunny Cakes” as Want to Read:
Bunny Cakes

Bunny Cakes (Max and Ruby)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1,421 Ratings  ·  119 Reviews
It's Grandma's birthday, and Max wants to make her an icky, worm-infested cake. But Ruby says, "No, Max. We are going to make Grandma an angel surprise cake, with raspberry-fluff icing." Will Max let his bossy older sister keep him out of the kitchen? Or will they both become bunnies who bake?
Published February 1st 2000 by Puffin Books (first published March 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Bunny Cakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bunny Cakes

NebraskaIcebergs
Oct 27, 2014 NebraskaIcebergs rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Bunny Cakes by Rosemary Wells is a sweet and entertaining entry in the Max and Ruby series. In this simple story for young readers, Ruby attempts to bake a cake and Max tries to shop for the needed ingredients. Brimming with color and humor, everything about Bunny Cakes will satisfy your funny bone.

What I appreciated most about Bunny Cakes is its light-hearted tone. It’s Grandma’s birthday and Ruby wants to surprise her with an angel cake. As younger siblings will, Max both wants and tries to he
Ellias
May 28, 2016 Ellias rated it really liked it
We got some Max and Ruby books to prep for seeing a live Max and Ruby show at Sesame Place. (It worked - I loved the show). This is my favorite out of the 4 books we got. Max and Ruby are both making birthday cakes for their Grandma's birthday. Max's cake is made out of earthworms, and all he wants for it is some red hot marshmallow shooters. Ruby is making a more traditional cake, but Max keeps messing it up and having to go to the store for new ingredients. When Mommy reads it, she always ...more
Skye Kilaen
May 12, 2016 Skye Kilaen rated it really liked it
The Max and Ruby books are sometimes fun, and sometimes… well, let’s just say we hope Rosemary Wells doesn’t have to worry about money now. Bunny Cakes is on the "fun" list.

Max and Ruby’s sibling relationship is so funny to me, because Ruby is so perfectionistic and wants to be in control, but it doesn’t seem to bother Max one bit. He just goes on with his life and projects.

Ruby wants Grandma’s cake to be perfect, but with little brother Max involved, she’s forced to employ ever-escalating met
Muffi
Mar 07, 2013 Muffi rated it it was amazing
Forget about the kids--*I* loved this story, too! I was cracking up the entire time I read it, because the story is so clever. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a children's book so much! :)

For me, though, the best test of any storybook is: will my four year-old stay in naptime if I give it to him? This book passed that test with flying colors--my son *loved* the story when I read it to him, then couldn't wait to sit and re-live it by looking at the pictures himself during naptime while I
Anna Hernandez
It’s Max and Ruby’s Grandma’s birthday and they want to do something special for her. Max wants to make Grandma a yucky dirt cake but Ruby wants to make her an angel surprise cake with raspberry fluff icing. Ruby sends Max to the store to get the ingredients but he comes back with a whole new plan involving red-hot marshmallow squirters. They put their minds together and come up with a very original cake that their Grandma loves. My response to this book is that I think it’s a lot of fun. I like ...more
Macy
Oct 16, 2014 Macy added it
This book is about a brother and sister bunny who want to make a cake for their grandma on her birthday. The brother, Max wants to make the grandma an earthworm birthday cake, but his sister, Ruby, says no and wants to make the most perfect "angel surprise cake with raspberry-fluff icing". Max tries to help his sister, but keeps knocking ingredients over making Ruby mad and frustrated. Ruby sends Max to the store with a list of things to get every time he knocked something over and every time ...more
Teddie Trombley
Apr 30, 2014 Teddie Trombley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals
If any of you guys or your children are big fans of the Max and Ruby TV show then you will love this book. This book is about Max and Ruby and they need to make a birthday cake for their grandma. Max really wants to make her a earthworm cake but Ruby does not like that idea and she has decided that they are going to make an angel surprise cake with raspberry-fluff icing. While Ruby is in the kitchen making this cake, Max comes in to try to help but Ruby wont let him. Right when max walks in and ...more
Lindsay
Since the Stanislaus County Library system was celebrating 100 years this year, the theme of this year's Día de los Ninos/Día de los Libros celebration was birthdays . A co-worker and I performed a special bilingual story time in which we acted out all of the stories and used fun props. My co-worker and I did this story in Spanish. She played Max and the grandmother, and I played Ruby and the shopkeeper.

I love Rosemary Wells' work, and Bunny Cakes is a great Max and Ruby story. In this story, R
Erik Akre
Mar 06, 2016 Erik Akre rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all children? somehow, yes
Shelves: young-children
This is a silly book, but my girls loved it so much, I have to give it a higher rating. What is it about this Max character? He's such a dunce, but it makes for great stories I guess. In this one, he goes on a quest for "red-hot marshmallow squirters," and ends up with a truly disgusting cake of his own design, which he gives ridiculously to his grandmother. Kids will like the darndest things...

I have to say that somehow this was one of the all-time favorites of my two daughters as they grew up
Lauren Mulholland
Oct 07, 2015 Lauren Mulholland rated it really liked it
"Bunny Cakes" is an engaging story about how Max bakes a cake for his grandma. He keeps spilling the ingredients for the cake, so he is sent to the grocery store with a list of the ingredients needed. Max really wants to get a special candy, but he doesn't know how to write the name of the candy on the list. Eventually, Max gets the idea to draw a picture of the candy instead of writing the words so that the grocer will know what Max wants. Drawing a picture is a great strategy for young writers ...more
Vivian
Nov 04, 2016 Vivian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Our theme this week was designed to correlate with this year's JUMPSTART READ FOR THE RECORD selection BUNNY CAKES by Rosemary Wells. I goofed about the date and had read this just a few weeks ago for story time. I decided to do it again and it was still a success. (I think it was new to some of the 163 people who attended one of our two story time events this week).

Here is the link to JumpStart: http://www.jstart.org/campaigns/read-...

Before story time begins, find a yellow note pad and create
Dolly
Nov 22, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun "Max and Ruby" book by Rosemary Wells. Our girls love the television series and they often request one of the books in this series for a bedtime story. This story revolves around Max and Ruby's efforts to make cakes for their grandmother's birthday. Max, as always, gets in Ruby's way and makes a big mess, but has a fun time anyway. I love to read this making Ruby's voice as bossy as possible, imitating her voice from the television series. This is a great series to read aloud to ...more
Angela Hutchinson
Max and Ruby are making cakes for grandma birthday. Ruby is going to make a cake, but Max causes a few mishaps and is sent to the store to retrieve what he had messed up. Each time, Ruby wrote in the list what was needed and every time Max would try to write on the paper what he needed to make his cake. But the grocer could not read what he wrote, until the last trip because Max drew a picture of what he wanted. This is a great book for younger children to do picture walks or read during silent ...more
Holly Letson
This is yet another book about Max and Ruby celebrating their grandma's birthday. This time, they are both making her cakes. Max keeps ruining Ruby's cake, so she has him go to get more ingredients each time.
He wants Red-Hot Marshmallow Squirters, but the grocer doesn't understand his writing. He finally draws a picture on Ruby's list, and does get them.
Both cakes are finally completed, and grandma loves both.
--------------------------------
Read online @ http://www.wegivebooks.org/books/bun
Deidra
Dec 11, 2007 Deidra rated it liked it
Shelves: final-project
Written and illustrated by Rosemary Wells. Published by Puffin, copyright 2000.

Grade level: 1st-3rd.

When Ruby and Max are making a cake for Grandma, Max just wants to help, but he keeps making a mess! So, Ruby sends Max to the story time and time again to get her ingredients for the angel food cake, but all Max can think about is making an earthworm cake that has red hot marshmellow squirters on top. Will they finally be able to make a cake for Grandma?

Kids will love Rosemary's illustrations,
Kelsey Scherer
A colorful, well illustrated, and clever book. It's a good story line of the almost always silent little brother bunny who had to go to the store with the list his sister writes for him multiple times. Max always tried to write his worms on the list to get them for his cake but the grocer never could read it. Overall, max and ruby make their grandma the best cake ever, even max's had his worms! His grandma loved it of course. It is a great story of learning to write and get what you want. I ...more
Jun 14, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My son loves Max & Ruby. I think it is probably because my son is mischievous just like Max. I don't like it because of that reason and the fact that Max only says one word over and over (at least in the cartoon). This book goes through the difficult process of Ruby making a birthday cake for Grandma and sending Max to the store to get the ingredients. Max wants to make a cake as well, but has difficulty himself getting his key ingredient. Overall, it just stressed me out myself (mostly ...more
Jess
Nov 17, 2010 Jess rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: preschoolers, parents, librarians
Shelves: picture-books, z_10
Max made Grandma an earthworm cake, but Ruby thinks she ought to have something with raspberries. Crazy bunnies

Easily applied to lessons and activities (reading, vocab, math, baking, stores, etc) AND the kids get super excited to see Max and Ruby.

That said, Max is a mess and Ruby is bossy. Also, I hate saying red hot marshmallow squirters. Hate it.

That said, if you're reading to preschoolers, this ought to be on your list. Short and sweet, so grab three or four.
Mary Sesar
Dec 16, 2011 Mary Sesar rated it really liked it
This book is about a little bunny who keeps trying to write down what he wants on the list to give to the cashier so that he can bring it home along with other supplies he was sent to get. He tried many times on the different lists and couldn't get it across until he drew a picture.
I would use this to teach kids that writing is important because it's a means of communication and if you can't communicate with others than you can become very frustrated from not understanding each other.
Jenna
Dec 14, 2011 Jenna rated it really liked it
I've never seen the TV show with Max and Ruby, but I thought this book had a good message to send. Poor Max is sent to the grocery store to pick up ingredients for a birthday cake, but the grocerer can't read Max's writing so max never gets the ingredient he wants.

This is a good story to show the developmental path children follow as writers. Sometimes to get your point across you show just draw a picture.
Brandi
Bunny siblings Max and Ruby go about making a birthday cake for their Grandma, each in their own special way. This Max and Ruby picture book by Rosemary Wells shows that if you make something for someone you love with love, no matter what it is, the person will accept and love it in the spirit it was given.
T.
Max makes an earthworm cake for Grandma's birthday & helps Ruby w/her angel surprise cake. @ the store, the grocer can't read all of the shopping list until Max solves the problem by drawing pictures.

It's Grandma's birthday, & Max wants to make her an icky, worm-infested cake. But Ruby says, "No, Max. We are going to make Grandma an angel surprise cake, w/raspberry-fluff icing." Will Max let his bossy older sister keep him out of the kitchen? Or will they both become bunnies who bake?

Theresa C
Sep 21, 2010 Theresa C rated it really liked it
This is a truly entertaining book about sibling rivalry and Max is a most lovable character! This book is perfect for reading aloud to young children as the illustrations are humorous and children can practice repeating the tongue twister in the story, "red hot marshmallow squirters"! Youngsters will identify with shy but determined Max who loves playing with dirt, pulling his wagon, and who doesn't let his older sister boss him around!
Rebecca Ann
Jan 09, 2013 Rebecca Ann rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Max tries to help his mom make a cake for his Grandma's birthday but keep getting in the way. When he tries to help by going to the grocery store the grocer can't read his handwriting. Finally it all comes together and Max makes a mud cake to go with the real one. The illustrations are a little messy, cartoonish, bright, busy and very cute. This could be used for a storytime for early elementary and preschool.
Eija
Apr 21, 2011 Eija rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
My daughter loves this book for many reasons: she follows Ruby's directions for making a cake when playing pretend, she copies Ruby's hand written lists for the grocer, she makes gross noises at Max's worm cake, is excited about Max's triumphant trip to the grocer, and it leads to so many great things for kids like following directions, actions and consequences, solving problems, and such a huge boost for the imagination.
Jenilyn Willis
This was a really cute book. It's very relatable to children because it's about a bunny who is just in the beginning stages of writing and can't figure out how to communicate with written words yet. In the end, he realizes that drawing pictures works just as well for communication as writing words. It's a good one to read to kids in the beginning stages of writing so they know that it's okay if they can't write big words yet; there are still ways for them to communicate just as effectively.
jacky
Apr 16, 2010 jacky rated it liked it
I got this out because we watch Max and Ruby almost every night on Nick Jr. It wasn't until we brought it home and opened it up that we found out that we had seen the episode of based on this book! The story was fun. I liked the line yellowed paper on the bottom of the pages. The characters looked a little funny to me though because I'm so used to the show. This book on its own wouldn't be as fun if I didn't already have such a strong sense of the characters from the show.
Megan
Nov 24, 2011 Megan rated it liked it
Max and Ruby each want to make their aunt a cake for her birthday. Ruby keeps sending Max to the store with a list of what she needs and Max writes what he needs on the bottom of it, but the cashier can't read what Max has wrote. So finally Max draws the picture of what he wants on the bottom of it, and the cashier finally realizes. This would be good way to show kids how else they could communicate what they need.
Kristin Lee
This books shows children how important the concept of writing is. Ruby keeps sending Max to the grocery store to get ingrediants for the cake she is baking and Max tries to write a certain candy on the grocery list also. Even though Max does not know how to write, he is still determined to get his candy. He finally does when he draws a picture of the candy on the grocery list.
Carly Brown
Dec 01, 2008 Carly Brown rated it it was amazing
For Caitlyn's Award

Level: Early

Genre: Picture Book

Topic: Brother and Sister Relationships

Curricular Use: Independent or Guided Reading

Social: Brother and Sister Relationships, rivalry, having a bossy sister, having a brother that won't listen

Literary Elements: Dialogue, lists, foreshadowing

Strong Connections between the pictures and the text
  • Whopper Cake
  • White Is for Blueberry
  • Hi, Pizza Man!
  • Sheep in a Shop
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • How I Spent My Summer Vacation (Dragonfly Books)
  • Mice And Beans
  • Old Black Fly

Rosemary Wells is the author of a number of popular children's books, most notably the Max and Ruby series which follows the everyday adventures of sibling bunnies - curious three year old Max and bossy seven year old Ruby. She gets the inspiration for Max and Ruby from her two daughters and the experiences they
More about Rosemary Wells...

Max and Ruby (1 - 10 of 67 books)
  • Bunny Money