Start by marking “Ecstasy: Understanding the Psychology of Joy” as Want to Read:
Ecstasy: Understanding the Psychology of Joy

Ecstasy: Understanding the Psychology of Joy

THE RENOWNED JUNGIAN PSYCHOLOGIST AND AUTHOR OF 'TRANSFORMATION' AND 'OWNING YOUR OWN SHADOW' BRINGS THE HIDDEN GIFT OF ECSTASY BACK INTO OUR LIVES.

Robert A. Johnson has taken tens of thousands of readers on spiritual and psychological journeys towards inner transformation. In 'Ecstasy', he reconnects with the powerful and life-changing ecstatic element that lies dormant –
Published May 10th 1989 by HarperOne (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Ecstasy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ecstasy

Kirtida Gautam
Dec 15, 2016 Kirtida Gautam rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology, chakra-2
In Robert A Johnson, I have found a writer my soul was seeking in the year 2016. He is helping me with the Inner Work. It's like going to a spa and coming out feeling fresh and full of ecstasy. Oh so cheesy! But I don't care. I am happy.
Serena.. Sery-ously?
3.5* (in realtà 4.5* alla prima parte e un tristissimo MEH alla seconda che mi ha fatto pensare di essere su una candid camera.. Tutta fuffa!)

La prima parte del libro è davvero interessante: l'autore parte dal mito di Dioniso per spiegare l'estasi - un dono divino che trasporta i mortali fuori dalla realtà ordinaria-, quanto essa sia importante nell'esistenza delle persone e quanto però essa sia stata perduta con il sopravvento della ragione e della scienza che hanno, in un certo senso, mortific
John-Talmage
Mar 17, 2013 John-Talmage rated it liked it
I had hoped to like the book, but I walked away with few nuggets. The good thing, though, is that the book is short and I completed it in a days' time.
Donna
Jan 30, 2008 Donna rated it it was amazing
A tiny little book about the psychology of joy.
Robert Windsor
Dec 08, 2016 Robert Windsor rated it it was amazing
This was an enlightening read. The value of understanding joy and as examples, looking at the Dionysus myth, brings so much clarity to the hideous uprising of Trump's destructive hate campaign, Brexit's negative migrant hate, the savage attack on the sacred grounds of Standing Rock and the failure to recognise the true value of the lands, Mother Earth, and every war and dictatorship.
Robert A J states '...we don't have a modern myth..' but I guess there are moments in history which play out as a
Elizabeth Merchant
Mar 31, 2014 Elizabeth Merchant rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-library
Here again, Robert Johnson employs a myth as allegory for a facet of Jungian psychology, in this case the lost Dionysian element of ecstasy, irrationality, joy. Full of insights, plainly stated, as is his style. Minus one star for not explaining exactly how to remain totally blissful for the remainder of my life ;-)
Izabela Dziugieł
Apr 12, 2016 Izabela Dziugieł rated it it was amazing
Beautiful reminder of the power of the archetype when it lies dormant and how to go about using it for everyday ecstasy - the term so rarely understood. Loved it!
Liam See
Jan 26, 2013 Liam See rated it it was amazing
More insights in this slim tome than Encyclopedia Britannica's numerous editions of the previous two centuries. Deeply potent perspectives.
Julian Gilder
Aug 24, 2016 Julian Gilder rated it it was amazing
A great and well researched book written for the Jungian perspective. I found it extremely enlightening and interesting. I really enjoyed reading it.
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was ok
May 27, 2012
Nathan
Nathan rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2008
Michael El khoury
Michael El khoury rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2013
Kelly Nezat
Kelly Nezat rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2012
Michael Hanson
Michael Hanson rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2016
Becca
Becca rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2013
Louise Johnson
Louise Johnson rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2013
Lynn
Lynn rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2007
Naomi Richardson
Naomi Richardson rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2014
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Bish Denham
Bish Denham rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2012
Michael Slattery
Michael Slattery rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2013
Francesca
Francesca rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2012
Anthony Mundis
Anthony Mundis rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2009
Tacoma Washington
Tacoma Washington rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2010
Jessica Davidson
Jessica Davidson rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2008
Jase
Jase rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2008
Alana Cash
Alana Cash rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2017
Morten Andersen
Morten Andersen rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Tao of Psychology: Synchronicity and Self
  • Dancing in the Flames: The Dark Goddess in the Transformation of Consciousness
  • The Soul's Code: In Search of Character and Calling
  • Why Good People Do Bad Things: Understanding Our Darker Selves
  • Alchemical Active Imagination
  • Descent to the Goddess: A Way of Initiation for Women (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 6)
  • The Maiden King: The Reunion of Masculine and Feminine
  • Invisible Partners
  • Jung on Active Imagination
  • Ego and Archetype: Individuation and the Religious Function of the Psyche
  • Romancing the Shadow: A Guide to Soul Work for a Vital, Authentic Life
  • Body Mind Mastery: Training for Sport and Life
Robert A. Johnson is a noted lecturer and Jungian analyst in private practice in San Diego, California. He has studied at the Jung Institute in Switzerland and at the Sri Aurobindo Ashram in India.
More about Robert A. Johnson...