Start by marking “Nurture the Nature: Understanding and Supporting Your Child's Unique Core Personality” as Want to Read:

3.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  68 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
From Michael Gurian, the best-selling author of "The Minds of Boys" and "The Wonder of Girls," comes the next-step book that shows how any parent can tune into a child's unique core personality, hard wiring, temperament, and genetic predisposition in order to help that child flourish and thrive. Based on the most recent brain research, "Nurture the Nature" features the Ten ...more
Published April 20th 2007 by Jossey-Bass (first published April 10th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Nurture the Nature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nurture the Nature

Marie
Sep 07, 2008 Marie rated it it was ok
Shelves: skimmed
Essentially the author's key point is that personality is inborn, and therefore parents should understand they are parenting individuals, not lumps of clay that can be molded any which way the parents decide. He also states that parents should not be molded by the latest fads, the latest ideas of how to be a great parent. But I'm not convinced that he does anything more than to say "don't listen to them, listen to me. Cautiously." I didn't agree with all that he asserts or fails to assert. His t ...more
Jeanna
May 31, 2011 Jeanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to help parents understand that each child is unique. They develop unique personalities and learn and grow differently. This book promotes an approach to parenting that encourages parents to accept and nurture a child's unique individual self. Often times parents, whether consciously or unconsciously, try to mold their child into the person they perceive their child to be. In reality, each child is an individual and Gurian's book highlights the importance of nurturing the un ...more
Lynde
Jan 22, 2011 Lynde rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any parent
Recommended to Lynde by: amazon
this is an excellent book. it has really great ideas for contemplating your OWN behavior as a parent, and how you can positively change the things you feel are undesirable! which is great timing for me. :) i love that it is managed in sections, and that it is also separated by age group/appropriateness. i will keep this one as a great reference book indefinitely. i can't wait to share it!
L
Gina
Feb 12, 2008 Gina rated it really liked it
Interesting book. What I got out of this: Children are unique and you need to figure out how they learn. Don't expect them to fit a certain expectation. I was happy to see the author wasn't big into giving kids drugs to keep them in-line. Find out how they work, and they will work well with you. I like how it encourages thinking outside the box as a way to deal with children.
Ashima
Mar 13, 2011 Ashima added it
Shelves: nonfiction
Not really what I was expecting. This book had a few good takeaways that I got in the first 50 or so pages. The rest is more focussed on the type of physical testing you can get for a child who is experiencing various social, emotional, psychological issues to help form a plan (pharmaceutical or school or family based) for getting past them.
Kevin
Mar 19, 2009 Kevin rated it did not like it
Shelves: psychology
Horrible. So idealistic and based on fantasy! Every little thing a child does suddenly meant the entire world and had some deep meaning. Rubbish. Sometimes, it CAN be gas. Your 2-month old is not always trying to communicate with you to tell you that they appreciate your giving them life.
Stacy
Mar 19, 2008 Stacy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any parent
Shelves:
I am currently reading this and will be reading it for a while as it discusses how to nurture our children through different ages. I really like how the book shows that our children are born with personalities and our job is to help them bring out the best in them.
Tom
Mar 17, 2011 Tom rated it liked it
This book has an especially useful perspective for parents who are concerned that they are not doing enough for their kids. Like Gurian's other books, this one is a bit repetitive, but it's worth checking out from the library.
Maya
Aug 27, 2007 Maya rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
THis book contains pretty standard developmental and gender differences information about different childhood stages. Informative and well-organized, but if you are well-versed in child development you won't learn much.
Susan
Nov 14, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
Love the emphasis on listening to what your child needs and responding to that. I also appreciated his acknowledgement that spiritual or religious influences are a valuable part of families' lives.
Dec 26, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
Good book...enjoyed his point of view. I will hang on to use as a reference for the future. I like how the book is sectioned by age group. Worth taking a look at..
Jeri
Aug 15, 2008 Jeri rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
I think that this book could have had some good stuff in it. I just didn't have time to wade through it.
Caroline
Feb 12, 2010 Caroline rated it it was ok
Good premise, covers the point pretty well in the first couple of chapters.
Natalie
Dec 03, 2008 Natalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Better overall parenting guide than 'The Good Son'.
Debbie Hughes
Mar 31, 2008 Debbie Hughes rated it liked it
Shelves:
Slow and steady, I am making my way through this book.....
Kara
Jan 08, 2009 Kara rated it really liked it
really helpful mom book
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
ELSS Library
ELSS Library marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Dee Paisley
Dee Paisley marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Gordon Paisley
Gordon Paisley marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
AddyF
AddyF is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2016
Crystal Gail
Crystal Gail marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Caitlin Tanner
Caitlin Tanner marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Amina Al motery
Amina Al motery marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Laalmom
Laalmom marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Lora
Lora marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Christopher N. Hartley
Christopher N. Hartley rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
En En
En En marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015