Start by marking “Nurture the Nature: Understanding and Supporting Your Child's Unique Core Personality” as Want to Read:

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  16 reviews
From Michael Gurian, the best-selling author of "The Minds of Boys" and "The Wonder of Girls," comes the next-step book that shows how any parent can tune into a child's unique core personality, hard wiring, temperament, and genetic predisposition in order to help that child flourish and thrive.Based on the most recent brain research, "Nurture the Nature" features the Ten ...more
Published April 20th 2007 by Jossey-Bass (first published April 10th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Nurture the Nature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nurture the Nature

Marie
Essentially the author's key point is that personality is inborn, and therefore parents should understand they are parenting individuals, not lumps of clay that can be molded any which way the parents decide. He also states that parents should not be molded by the latest fads, the latest ideas of how to be a great parent. But I'm not convinced that he does anything more than to say "don't listen to them, listen to me. Cautiously." I didn't agree with all that he asserts or fails to assert. His t ...more
Jeanna
This is a great book to help parents understand that each child is unique. They develop unique personalities and learn and grow differently. This book promotes an approach to parenting that encourages parents to accept and nurture a child's unique individual self. Often times parents, whether consciously or unconsciously, try to mold their child into the person they perceive their child to be. In reality, each child is an individual and Gurian's book highlights the importance of nurturing the un ...more
Lynde
Jan 22, 2011 Lynde rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any parent
Recommended to Lynde by: amazon
this is an excellent book. it has really great ideas for contemplating your OWN behavior as a parent, and how you can positively change the things you feel are undesirable! which is great timing for me. :) i love that it is managed in sections, and that it is also separated by age group/appropriateness. i will keep this one as a great reference book indefinitely. i can't wait to share it!
L
Gina
Interesting book. What I got out of this: Children are unique and you need to figure out how they learn. Don't expect them to fit a certain expectation. I was happy to see the author wasn't big into giving kids drugs to keep them in-line. Find out how they work, and they will work well with you. I like how it encourages thinking outside the box as a way to deal with children.
Ashima
Mar 13, 2011 Ashima added it
Shelves: nonfiction
Not really what I was expecting. This book had a few good takeaways that I got in the first 50 or so pages. The rest is more focussed on the type of physical testing you can get for a child who is experiencing various social, emotional, psychological issues to help form a plan (pharmaceutical or school or family based) for getting past them.
Kevin
Horrible. So idealistic and based on fantasy! Every little thing a child does suddenly meant the entire world and had some deep meaning. Rubbish. Sometimes, it CAN be gas. Your 2-month old is not always trying to communicate with you to tell you that they appreciate your giving them life.
Stacy
Mar 19, 2008 Stacy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any parent
I am currently reading this and will be reading it for a while as it discusses how to nurture our children through different ages. I really like how the book shows that our children are born with personalities and our job is to help them bring out the best in them.
Tom
This book has an especially useful perspective for parents who are concerned that they are not doing enough for their kids. Like Gurian's other books, this one is a bit repetitive, but it's worth checking out from the library.
Maya
THis book contains pretty standard developmental and gender differences information about different childhood stages. Informative and well-organized, but if you are well-versed in child development you won't learn much.
Susan
Love the emphasis on listening to what your child needs and responding to that. I also appreciated his acknowledgement that spiritual or religious influences are a valuable part of families' lives.
Good book...enjoyed his point of view. I will hang on to use as a reference for the future. I like how the book is sectioned by age group. Worth taking a look at..
Jeri
I think that this book could have had some good stuff in it. I just didn't have time to wade through it.
Caroline
Good premise, covers the point pretty well in the first couple of chapters.
Natalie
Better overall parenting guide than 'The Good Son'.
Debbie Hughes
Slow and steady, I am making my way through this book.....
Kara
really helpful mom book
Jo
Jo added it
Apr 21, 2015
Lindsay Godsey
Lindsay Godsey marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Rebecca Pelletier
Rebecca Pelletier marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Bob Parry
Bob Parry marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Jennifer Wolfe
Jennifer Wolfe marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Zepure
Zepure marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Wonder of Boys The Minds of Boys: Saving Our Sons from Falling Behind in School and Life The Wonder of Girls: Understanding the Hidden Nature of Our Daughters Boys and Girls Learn Differently!: A Guide for Teachers and Parents The Good Son: Shaping the Moral Development of Our Boys and Young Men