Start by marking “A Frog in the Bog” as Want to Read:
A Frog in the Bog

A Frog in the Bog

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  716 Ratings  ·  104 Reviews
There's a frog on the log
in the middle of the bog.
A small, green frog
on a half-sunk log
in the middle of the bog....
Published February 27th 2007 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Frog in the Bog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Frog in the Bog

Frog and Toad Are Friends by Arnold LobelFrog and Toad Together by Arnold LobelThe Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher by Beatrix PotterFrog and Toad All Year by Arnold LobelA Frog in the Bog by Karma Wilson
Best Books About Frogs/Toads
5th out of 95 books — 25 voters
Frog and Toad Are Friends by Arnold LobelThe Frog by Diana NoonanThe Croak 500 by Rhonda PattonA Boy and His Froggy! by Tabitha PetersonThe Wide-Mouthed Frog by Keith Faulkner
Best Frog Children's Books
6th out of 50 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Emma
May 21, 2015 Emma rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-2015
Frog in the Bog is a fun, rhyming story about, well, a frog in the bog. The rhythm is great and there is some counting involved, plus lots of yucky critters that the frog eats which my gross little boys enjoyed. A great read for everyone.
Heidi-Marie
A Bayou-ish version of the woman who swallowed a fly, except this one has children counting along, hilarious asides, interesting illustrations, and a funny ending. I think the kids will love it.

3/18/10 Both groups really enjoyed this one. I think the different illustrations caught their interest and the rhyming and icky things that were being eaten also were interesting to them. A definite success.

3/25/10 More successes, this time with the downtown groups. They liked the book for all the same re
Kelly Borton
Mar 11, 2014 Kelly Borton rated it it was amazing
This is a snappy rhythm of words in poetry fashion about a frog "on a half-sunk log in the middle of the bog." This is a great group read aloud with an increasing set of events in a patterned text. It has areas that remind you of The 12 Days of Christmas. Broadly speaking, it's about a frog that has encounters with insects and begins to grow after each feeding. I do not want to share to much and spoil the book, but do not be concerned. They all survive. The illustrations are fun and show varying ...more
Mhm Storytelling
Jul 13, 2011 Mhm Storytelling rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytelling
*A Frog in the Bog by Karma Wilson and Joan Rankin

-Explain that a bog is a swamp, make sure they know what that is.

-What do you know about frogs? What do they look like? What color? Where do they live? What do they sound like?

-"flick a tick" make a flicking motion with thumb and index finger.

-Hold your bellies and pretend to be fuller and fuller throughout the story.

-Hold up fingers for counting, have kids try to identify the bugs you are counting.

-Hands to face for "Oh My!"

-See if kids
Allie Sumner
Feb 03, 2016 Allie Sumner rated it it was amazing
What an adorable story! My son loves the rhyming and counting all the different bog critters that the frog ingests.

The illustrations are cute and match the story line. This is always great for littles. They love to see the story come alive in picture’s as it’s being read.

My son loves frogs and gator’s so combining the two into one story was great. Add the rhyme and …well it’s a winner winner chicken dinner.

I enjoyed how the story does have moral’s to it. It was subtle but still there.

All in al
Jo-Ann
Fiction:

Nonfiction:
Scary Creatures Alligators and Crocodiles

Activity/Movement/Song:
Beetle from Paper & Pencil Game Book (page 63)

Song with little girl & crocodile puppet:
She sailed away on a sunny summer day on the back of a crocodile,
"You see," said she, "he's as tame as tame can be;
I'll ride him down the Nile,"
The croc winked his eye as she bade them all goodbye, wearing a happy smile,
At the end of the ride the lady was inside, and the smile was on the crocodile!

Craft:
Ina
May 18, 2011 Ina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
This is another Karma Wilson read-aloud winner! The rhyming text has a great rhythm, so good for building that phonemic awareness. The illustrations are beautiful and the kids enjoyed the repeated phrase "the frog grew bigger." They also love the surprise at the end, when frog discovers that there is something strange about the log he's been sitting on - and it is a great device to allow all the bugs crammed into the frogs stomach to escape. In the end, no one is eaten and everyone learns a ...more
Tommy Schlosser
Sep 08, 2016 Tommy Schlosser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It got an extra star because the kids like it so much.
Matthew
I am a fan of her Bear Snores On series and I had to pick this up just to see what something else by her would be like. This is good for a primary counting narrative. I could definitely keep a primary grade class focused if I read this. The illustrations are funny and wonderfully gross. This is a winning book for younger readers. If they are Bear Snores On fans, this will certainly appeal to them as well, though the illustration style is different. Nicely done.
Susan Somogyi
Mar 11, 2012 Susan Somogyi rated it really liked it
My kids loves to read those book,to understand how the frog ate kinds of the bugs and the sounds of rhyming story "The frog in the bog" They likes to see how the frog ate different kinds of bugs ! and they did count how many bugs and explorer the picture. They are never be bored with this book again, they really enjoyed !!
Dava Fletter
Apr 18, 2015 Dava Fletter rated it it was amazing
This book, written by Karma Wilson of the Bear book series, is the most wonderful read aloud. The cadence is so fun to read and for the kids to hear. New insects going up in number sequentially reminds of the old lady who swallowed a fly in that the frog is definitely overeating. Good for kindergarten to first grade read aloud.
The Brothers
Jan 28, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
A circular sort of story about a frog that eats all sorts of creatures in the bog (ticks, fleas, snails) increasing the number with each new meal. Eventually he ends up disgorging everything in fear when he discovers the half-sunk log in the bog was really a alligator.

The illustrations are goofy and fun. Love the little hat.
Rhiannon
Mar 19, 2009 Rhiannon rated it liked it
A sort of perfect storytime book - has the right rhythm and the repetition and patterns that kids love having read to them.

I really love the colors of the illustrations, though I found it sort of creepy the way some of the animals cheerfully marched into the frog's stomach (particularly the slugs).
Destiny Dawn Long
This book has some nice rhythm, rhyme, counting, and predictive text that is fun to read with a toddler. But I wasn't really into the illustrations. They were washed out watercolor images that, to me, didn't capture the lively energy of the writing. And a lot of times the animals in the story get swallowed up by the background.
Danelle Miller
Jan 17, 2011 Danelle Miller rated it really liked it
This book is bright and colorful, has a fun rhyming story, and addresses the kinds of things a frog eats. I think that this book could be used for a rhyming activity, a science lesson on what other animals eat and writing about it in a rhyme. I enjoyed this book mostly for its illustrations. It would probably be good for 2nd-7th grade.
Sara
Dec 28, 2013 Sara rated it it was amazing
A Frog in the Bog by Karma Wilson and Joan Rankin is a delightful rhythmic children's book by the author that brought us The Bear Snores On. My students loved this book and were able to keep the beat throughout the story (provided I could keep up) and the twist at the end makes them giggle. This is a book that my students ask for over and over again.

I recommend this book for kids 3-8
Katy Houseman
This book is about a frog who is sitting on a long in the middle of a bog. The book has a lot of rhyming words and would be great to help young students learn to count up to five. To help students practice counting up to ten a lesson could be to make a class book to have the frog eat up to 10 bugs at a time.
Beth
Apr 28, 2011 Beth rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids
Recommended to Beth by: library
Surprised that Nate got scared of the "log" when it turned into the GATOR!!! The funny part for me was that he kept asking what a bog is... I would read it and let him rhyme the word with frog and he kept saying BUG. I kept repeating BOG, but he was so confused, "if it's a swamp or a pond, why don't they call it that?" Me: because bog rhymes with frog=) I love my kids!
Hannah Morrison
Read this to my students to open up a Spring unit. My children loved the rhyming pattern that they could follow and predict the next line. Fun to talk to students about an environment they don't normally get to see. The book was only used in language arts but could easily be used in a fun science lesson.
Danelle Miller
Feb 04, 2011 Danelle Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Jess
Sep 22, 2012 Jess rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: K-1; storytimes; teachers wanting a rhyming book
Recommended to Jess by: Wilson's other awesome stuff
Shelves: picture-books, z_12
A frog in a bog on a half sunk log...

Fun with rhyming! Seriously, it's a rhyme book (also cumulative!) that's actually fun. Readable, with a bit of suspense and excitement, this is perfect for K-1 story times.

Wilson nailed it. It's not just the entertaining story, it's her added details such as the ew ugh after the frog eats the slugs.

Rosa Cline
Jul 03, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
This would be a really neat book to buy for a child for a gift. It's adventourous but yet kind of "yucky" so boys-tomboys would enjoy it as well. The storyline is rhyming lines makes for a fun read. The illustrations go hand in hand with the story. Love this nature type book. (What all frogs eat and then what will eat a frog) But in the end everyone is happy!
Jacinda
Jul 21, 2016 Jacinda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I've read this one a few times to my son. It's a 'there was an old woman who swallowed a fly' type story but with a frog and a counting element. I absolutely love the rhyming structure and rhythm that you find yourself reading this book in. The illustrations aren't my favourite but they definitely help convey the grossness of the story.
Jillian Ware
Mar 08, 2016 Jillian Ware rated it liked it
This is a funny short story that keeps your attention. It's all about a frog sitting on a log and then he gets hungry and starts to eat things. The rhyming of the story is fun and entertaining. I loved the illustrations and different details that the illustrator added. The ending is really funny and all ends well.
Candice
May 26, 2011 Candice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Another winner from Karma Wilson! Great rhythm, rhyme, and some alliteration as a frog in a bog on a half-sunk log sets out to eat one tick, two fleas, and even more. The frog grows a bit bigger after each meal and has quite a surprise in store, as the log is not what he thinks it is.
Diana Thomsen
May 23, 2016 Diana Thomsen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
I did so want to like this story...but I didn't. The story itself was cute, but I found it unappealing to read aloud and ended up just passing on it for storytime. But if I ever decide to do a free-tell with a flannel board, this might be a good place to start, since, as I mentioned, the story is good, and the ending clever.
Cassie
Mar 02, 2009 Cassie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
I cannot do a frog storytime without including this book! It's a tad on the gross side, if you spend too much time thinking about it, but the children love the romping rhyimg text, watching the frog grow bigger, and being able to yell "gator!" in the library. A fun alternative to a counting book that can be shared one on one or with a group.
Angela Gaskell
Feb 10, 2013 Angela Gaskell rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, children-s
Shawn Elswick
This book was something I had never read before and was pretty interesting. It doesnt really have a moral to the story other than to not be gluteness. This is still a great book for children and I would use this in my class.
Karen
Oct 17, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
I liked the poetic text -- a lot -- but the illustrations kind of took the "punch" away from the text. The illustrations were pastel colored and had a translucent quality, which works well for some children's books, but not for this one.
  • Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!
  • All You Need for a Snowman
  • Jump!
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Hugless Douglas
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball
  • Jump, Frog, Jump!
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • The Wide-Mouthed Frog: A Pop-Up Book
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or ...more
More about Karma Wilson...