Start by marking “Don't Tell Mummy: A True Story of the Ultimate Betrayal” as Want to Read:
Don't Tell Mummy: A True Story of the Ultimate Betrayal

Don't Tell Mummy: A True Story of the Ultimate Betrayal

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  3,321 ratings  ·  126 reviews
This heart-wrenching memoir from Toni Maguire tells the deeply moving story of an idyllic childhood that masked a terrible truth. Underneath her mother's gentility and her father's roguish charm lay horrifying secrets, which eventually led to their only child's near destruction. The first time her father made an improper advance on Toni, she was six years old. When she fin ...more
Hardcover
Published August 7th 2006 by Harper Element (first published January 1st 2006)

Helen
This book for me was a real eye opener not only does it make you appreciate growing up with a normal background and having loving parents and a wonderful childhood but it shows you that there are sick and twisted people in the world who will manipulate young people to feel superior. the shocking truth of this book is somewhat scaring but the way it is written you can hear the shouts feel the pain and understand the emotions going through the young Antoinette’s head and that of the older Toni. I ...more
★¸. • * ° * Blanka*°°*•.¸. ♥★

The first time her father made an improper advance on Toni, she was six years old. Her father warned her not to tell her mother, or anyone else, because they would blame her and wouldn't love her any more. It had to remain ‘our secret.’

When she finally built up the courage to tell her mother what had happened, she was told never to speak of the matter again. With no one to turn to, isolated and alone in rural Ireland, the abuse continued unhindered.

At fourteen Toni fell pregnant by her father, a
Arwen
Eva Leger
Aug 10, 2008 Eva Leger rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: memoir/non fiction readers
Recommended to Eva by: found it on bookmooch
Sarah Lumina
En lisant ce roman je me suis mise dans la peau de la petite Antoinette et je sais maintenant ce que c'est d'être violé et trahi par les êtres les plus chers que l'on puisse avoir (les parents). C'est vraiment très dure de vivre ce qu'a vécu Antoinette. Et je suis pas sure si je pourrais supporter cela si j'étais à sa place mais je suis sure que jamais je ne traiterais mal une fille qui a était violé comme font la plupart des gens au contraire je vais la soutenir et la défendre.

Avant de lire ce
Marzena
You can't fully rate an autobiographical book. What's there really to rate: the story itself, the author's life or the way it was written? Choosing some aspects to rate over others won't do the justice and trying to rate the full work is an easy step to fail.

We read a horrible story, one you wouldn't wish to happen to anyone. It's honest and realistic to the bone. It's not easy to read a story of a severely abused child, ever. As much as you would like it, you know it's not made up, yet you wish
Barbara
I found this book wandering through Chapters. (usual event) I usually don't read about child abuse but this book pulled me in just from reading the back of the book.

Her abuse began at the age of 6 and didn't stop until she got pregant by her father. Toni searches for help from her distant mother and get's nothing. Family turns her away. The locals in the town believe because the abuse went on she wanted it and liked it. She had nobody to turn to.

I know alot of things have changed on the views o
Priscila
This is a heart breaking story about something no one should ever experienced.
Toni Maguire would have exceeded my expectations even if the book was only 2 pages long, once I can't think of how much courage someone has to have in order to go out and write about this horror for the general public, specially when it's your own. However, Toni goes above and beyond to expose (and hopefully exterminate) her inner demons.
The writing is superb, but this book will make you uncomfortable, being that the e
Irene
Craig P
Jan 02, 2008 Craig P rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who can show empathy
With "don't tell mummy", it shows sexual abuse can destroy the interface of someone's childhood. For being sexually abused for 10 years, then getting pregnant by her father, Antoinette Maguire ends up feeling lonely and unloved. Unforntunantly, she feels even more lonely without the help of her mothers love, what she is constantly craving for. It is a very sad book. However, some goodness comes out of it, when her abuser i.e. her father gets sent to jail. She then thinks that everything is ok, b ...more
Asma511
This book is really hard to put down. The story written by Toni Maguire is a really sad, heartbreaking story, for it shows that in this world there are cruel savages who abuse young, innocent children to feel superior. This gives us the sense of appreciation for having a loving and understanding family that give us the feeling of being safe, secure and protected. The reality in the book is somehow scary, but the way that it is written showed me the ultimate pain through emotions of the young chi ...more
Dierdra Byrd
I enjoyed this book, the writing was not bad and the story was horrible and heartbreaking. For me some parts of the story were way to drawn out and other parts that I felt were more important were cut short and glossed over. One instance of this is when she talks about the report she wrote for school what she found in her research went on and on and I did not feel like it added anything to the actual story she was trying to tell.
Overall the book was a good memoir and well written but for me at l
Angelica Ape
I found myself crying while reading through the pages of this book. It felt more heartbreaking knowing that it was based on a true story. I felt goosebumps filling up my skin while Antoinette was being treated the way she was during her childhood. To be honest, I really don't like the ending because it was really not enough for me. I didn't get my satisfaction. After what she'd been through, I really wanted to know what's next but it was a major cliffhanger. Nonetheless, I praise the author and ...more
Nadine
ACHTUNG: Nichts für schwache Nerven !!!!

Meine Meinung über das Buch... Horror.
Das Mädchen um das es geht heisst Antoniette und liebt ihre Mutter über alles. Ja aber was die Mutter ihrer Tochter antut ist hart.
Toni wird von ihren Vater missbraucht und setzt sie unter Druck den Mund zu halten mit Sätzen wie 'Mama hat Dich dann nicht mehr lieb' usw.
Das geht Jahre so weiter und dann wird Toni auch noch vom Vater Schwanger und das Kind wird abgetrieben was auch für Toni natürlich ein Horror ist, alle
Nicolina Weine
This is the most horrific story of Toni Maguires abusive father and how, when she told her mother, she was forbidden to speak of it to anyone.

Her family seems like the perfect country folks family to the outer world but in real life her father starts molesting her from an extreamly young age through her early teens. She suffers several injuries and afflictions due to the abuse and when she tells her mother she is betrayed on a most important level, she is told not to speak of it.

Her mother prete
Hoda
C'est une autobiographie écrite de façon émouvante. C'est vrai que c'est tragique, c'est vrai que l'on croit que de tels livres sont fabriqués à un certain degré, mais c'est pas le cas dans ce livre. Elle nous offre ses souffrances, sa biographie, et je suis privilégiée de pouvoir connaître tout cela. merci, Toni Maguire. Un livre qui ouvre les yeux: si tu ne veux pas entendre, cela ne fait pas disparaître ce qui s'est passé!
Rebeka Pallier
This book broke my heart. I do not normally read these kinds of books because they tend to depress me to be honest . But my mum read it and she was going on about it for weeks so when I FINALLY gave in and read it I didn't put it down till I finished. This book is not for the faint hearted! It's a good book and worth the read but whilst reading it you can not help but get emotional.
Nadine Maigatter
ACHTUNG: Nichts f��r schwache Nerven !!!!

Meine Meinung ��ber das Buch... Horror.
Das M��dchen um das es geht heisst Antoniette und liebt ihre Mutter ��ber alles. Ja aber was die Mutter ihrer Tochter antut ist hart.
Toni wird von ihren Vater missbraucht und setzt sie unter Druck den Mund zu halten mit S��tzen wie 'Mama hat Dich dann nicht mehr lieb' usw.
Das geht Jahre so weiter und dann wird Toni auch noch vom Vater Schwanger und das Kind wird abgetrieben was auch f��r Toni nat��rlich ein Horror is
Love
Rita
« Não digas nada à mamã » foi um dos livros mais vendidos em 2007 no Reino Unido e retrata a história verídica de Toni Maguire, vítima de violação por parte de alguém que a deveria proteger acima de tudo.

Quando tinha seis anos, após ter mudado de casa para a Irlanda do Norte, de onde o pai era natural, Toni ausenta-se de casa, para explorar e se ambientar ao novo local. Com todo aquele ambiente novo, acaba por perder a noção do tempo, só se apercebendo de quão tarde é, quando ouve o seu pai cham
Vidya
Can't really rate the story as its the real story of the author, what a pity it is to have such parents. I felt it was not necessary to feel herself so dependent on them and suffer with them so far. But I know its easier said than experienced and its really difficult in that young age to take strong decisions.

As far as writing is concerned, I didn't find the narration great, it did not hold my attention throughout. I had to skim through some pages leaving behind the details.
Nadezhda
That is a breath taking story of a love of a girl to mother; of blind love of a woman towards the man... And how different types of love can affect our love in different ways.

Highly recommend! Freezes the blood in vein. Until the very end you will be asking protagonist "why"? "Why was she silent" " why did she run away" " why did she forgive them"....

Be sensitive towards those we see around.
Hager
une autobiographie des plus bouleversantes.. Une mère qui a vécu dans le déni, un enfant qui en a payer le prix. ce bouquin m'a fait pleurer de rage, et je trouve dure de lui attribuer la moindre étoile. Quoi de plus triste que les paroles d'un enfant dont les moindre besoin on été ignoré par la personne la plus aimé ! la tragédie que Toni a du vivre a été complètement ignoré par sa mère, comme si le fait de ne pas verbalisé ce qui se passer, lui ôterait tout relation avec la vérité, non mais da ...more
Andre
A frase que dá título ao livro de Toni Maguire, Não conte para a mamãe, poderia ser um pacto ingênuo entre dois irmãos ou uma brincadeira entre crianças. Infelizmente, não é o caso. Na verdade, é a ameaça sofrida pela autora durante os quase dez anos em que foi violentada pelo próprio pai.

É o relato assustador e, ao mesmo tempo, tocante da pequena Toni Maguire, negligenciada e traída por aqueles em quem mais deveria poder confiar. Um livro de difícil leitura, mas fundamental nos dias de hoje.

Vio
This book must have been so hard for the author to write and as it says in the title it certainly is a story of ultimate betrayal. Some parts were hard to digest as it's so hard to understand how any mother could allow what happened. Very well written though and shocking how grown adults reacted.
Jenn Stein
This was not easy to read. Not because it was uninteresting or written poorly. Quite the opposite. It was written beautifully and in a way that I felt like I was there. Witnessing these events. Which is the hard part. We all know that there are sickos out there. Toni's dad was a sicko. As a parent, it's just impossible to comprehend. Even worse, in my opinion, is that while her father is clearly sick. Her mom is just a monster. This poor child/teenager/young woman had NO ONE to turn to. It's hon ...more
chucklesthescot
Apr 20, 2010 chucklesthescot rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: true story readers
Toni's father first molested her when she was 6 and when she tried to tell her mum, she didn't want to know. As her father began repeatedly raping her, Toni knew that her mum was turning a blind eye rather than lose her husband and the abuse continued until Toni was able to leave home. When Toni gets pregnant by her dad, she is forced into an abortion and shunned by his family, and her mum is prepared to let her die from complications from the operation.
This book was shocking. The attitude of h
Isabel Bandason
I had mixed emotions throughout, sadness for the innocent Antoinnette, anger towards the parents and all the grown ups who never noticed anything or chose not to help, admiration for the judge and the minister as well as deep respect for the way Toni articulated her story.
Saskia
Wát een ongelofelijk schrijnend waargebeurd verhaal. Ik begon er eergisteren in te lezen en gisteren- middag las ik 'm met een brok in mijn keel uit. Ik moest 'm gewoon uitlezen, zo goed en meeslepend is alles verwoord in dit boek en in mijn ogen geen moment saai. Ik leefde helemaal mee met Antoinette en voelde de onmacht/boosheid/verdriet, etc. Onbegrijpelijk ook, dat er toch nog zoveel mensen zijn die wanneer ze ook maar horen van misbruik de kop in het zand steken, er niets van willen weten e ...more
Agoaye Leblog
Comment dire "j'ai aimé ce livre ?"...
J'ai été choquée, et bouleversée, et atterrée aussi parfois. C'est écrit avec les tripes, ça reste donc poignant et compliqué à appréhender.... Mais pfffff, comment se dire que de telles vies existent !
Don't tell mummy 3 11 Nov 08, 2013 11:05PM
Goodreads Librari...: serie with only 1 book, russian? title 2 152 Jun 21, 2012 02:04PM
  • Deliver Me from Evil: A Sadistic Foster Mother, a Childhood Torn Apart
  • Daddy's Little Earner: A Heartbreaking True Story Of A Brave Little Girl's Escape From Violence
  • Abandoned
  • Please, Daddy, No
  • The Little Prisoner
  • Broken
  • Street Kid
  • Mummy Knew
  • Don't Ever Tell: Kathy's Story: A True Tale of a Childhood Destroyed by Neglect and Fear
  • Cry Silent Tears
  • Betrayed
  • Behind Closed Doors: A True Story of Abuse, Neglect and Survival Against the Odds
  • Childhood Interrupted
  • Scarred
  • Not Without My Sister: The True Story of Three Girls Violated and Betrayed by Those They Trusted
  • Hidden
  • Because I Remember Terror, Father, I Remember You
  • Tell Me Why, Mummy: A Little Boy’s Struggle to Survive. A Mother’s Shameful Secret. The Power to Forgive.
When Daddy Comes Home Can't Anyone Help Me? Vår lilla hemlighet Memories of the Light: A Story of Spiritual Existence Before Physical Birth Kogda Venetsi︠a︡ Papa: Istorii︠a︡ Odnogo Predatelʹstva

“O segredo que não contei a meu pai foi o segredo que escondi a mim mesma. Minha mãe sabia. O único medo que ele tinha era que ela descobrisse. Assim, esse foi o dia em que nosso jogo começou.” 0 likes
“Não vá contar para a sua mãe. Isso é segredo nosso. Se contar, ela não vai acreditar em você. Ela não vai mais amar você...E eu já sabia que isso era verdade.” 0 likes