Roommates: My Grandfather's Story

Roommates: My Grandfather's Story

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  26 reviews
From the author of The Oranging of America comes this inspiring true story about an American family. Rocky takes over a family, at the age of 103, and shows them how to survive.
Published July 1st 1995 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Roommates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roommates

Patti
Ellen Winokur
This is a remarkable true story about a grandfather and his grandson living together as roommates. In today's society this would be unlikely. I could relate to the characters. This book gave insight into caring for our parents.
Rita Buckley
Second reading, after 18 years,and still wonderful. One of the great memoir/ tributes. A delightful character study of a cranky, admirable one-of-a kind old (to 106 yrs) man.
Bev
Sandy
This is a charming telling of the relationship between a grandfather and his grandson. Grandfather is quite the character and his love for his entire family is quite evident, even to the point of intrusion at times. A story of love spanning multiple generations.
Pam
I just love Max Apple's books because they are uplifting, humurous and absolutely heart warming. His love for his family shines through on every page! But what characters he has in his family, especially his grandfather. Read this book-it will make your day!
Julie
Apple's story of his amazing, but crabby grandfather shows how deep love can go, even with people who get along like a house on fire.
This was an RD condensed book, but I'd probably read the full version if I get the chance.
miriam
This is one of my favorite books. Its possibly more simple, and could be read by YAs, but I love it. The characters, emotions and relationships are so great. Maybe its because I love old Jewish men, but this is great.
Dee Toomey
I loved this story about a man and his Jewish grandfather. It is heart-touching, because it really happened. I found myself irratated with the old gentlemann at times, and touched near tears at others. A great read!
Rebecca
I got ahead of myself and rated this book before I finished reading it. Now I'm giving it another star. It was a sad, tender, and funny book--I cracked up a bunch of times...
Barb Gant
Made into a really good movie with Peter Falk, Julianne Moore, and Ellen Burstyn. Max is 107 years old and still a baker. He has raised his grandson to be a surgeon who is now 35.
Jessica
"Roommates" is a sentimental memoir about a guy who became roommates with his grandfather and the life lessons he learned from the experience. It was a little too mushy for me.
Susan Poling
The story of the author's grandfather who was his roommate from the time he was a child. Sometimes it was a great match and other times it was not.
Wendy
A very touching story of the relationship between a man and his grandfather who lives to be 106 years old. They are roomates for many years.
Lester
What a marvelous story..really enjoyed this book. I read a couple of book in the last week and only added them today..this was the best one.
Merry
A memorable book. He is roommates with his grandfather, during his college years and afterwards. Wonderful Rocky lives to be over 100 years old.
Ann
A man writing about his stormy relationship with his grandfather, who was in and out of his life in cataclysmic ways. Generally heart-warming.
Margaret
Aug 13, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2007
An enjoyable story - Rocky was quite a character! Thanks for sharing this book.
Emily
Mar 03, 2010 Emily added it
this was a sweet little novel I found at the guest house I was staying at it Tobago
eliza
Dec 03, 2009 eliza added it
this gave me a long-standing paranoia about delayed degenerative disease.
Elana
It sounds like a big ol' cliche, but I laughed, I cried, I laughed some more.
Diane
Wonderful story of family,loyalty and struggles we face in life.
Judy
Elmie
Absolutely loved it!
Susan
well written. sad.
Michael
Michael is currently reading it
Sep 12, 2014
Holly
Holly is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2014
The Oranging of America and Other Stories The Jew of Home Depot and Other Stories I Love Gootie: My Grandmother's Story The Propheteers Free Agents