Start by marking “After School Nightmare, Volume 3” as Want to Read:
After School Nightmare, Volume 3

After School Nightmare, Volume 3 (放課後保健室 / Houkago Hokenshitsu / After School Nightmare #3)

A haughty classmate from the Dream World tries to make Mashiro his slave! Meanwhile, tension and heat between Sou and our gender-confused hero escalate as Mashiro becomes obsessed with trying to discern the true identities of the other classmates. But then, why is Sou the only thing on his mind?
Published April 1st 2007 by Go Comi (first published September 16th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about After School Nightmare, Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After School Nightmare, Volume 3

American Born Chinese by Gene Luen YangPersepolis by Marjane SatrapiBlankets by Craig ThompsonThe Arrival by Shaun TanAnya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol
Great Graphic Novels for Teens...of all time!
142nd out of 282 books — 241 voters
Nana, Vol. 1 by Ai YazawaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriFruits Basket, Vol. 12 by Natsuki TakayaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaNana, Vol. 21 by Ai Yazawa
Most touching mangas
72nd out of 109 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

Jam
Jun 06, 2007 Jam rated it it was amazing
I'm utterly biased about these books, but that's because they're excellent.

You do sometimes run up against gender issues in manga. This series works with them in a way that other manga, particularly those that deal with genderfuckery, could learn a lot from.

The main character, Mashiro, clings to identifying as male for reasons that have more to do with clinging to classical male virtues. Men are strong, cool minded, chivalrous, protective. Women are soft, in need of protection, emotional.

You re
Sophia F
Jul 18, 2014 Sophia F rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.
In a way each volume seems to drag on just a little bit slower and slower as I read on. Mashiro isn't progressing with his resolve at all, and the only new things are the people graduating and coming in.
(Oh and that little bit where he fights himself to the death.) :3
I know I'm not saying s/he and his/her, but I'm just going off the gender that people who don't know his secret think he is.
I bet Sou's sister told him......... (Lol multiple ellipsis's for exaggeration.)
I know this is kin
Leira Roscini
I read it in italian.
Lauren
Jan 02, 2013 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
As Ichijou Mashiro’s hard kept secret is revealed to his classmates, Mashiro’s dream world is turned upside down. The after-hours class Mashiro signs up for is not at all what he expects it to be. Passing the class is his only chance of graduation and the horrors he finds there are only the beginnings to the mysteries yet to be revealed.

This dark series is filled with controversial and emotional issues that take the reader on a journey through what the characters are feeling and what they experi
Julie
May 18, 2010 Julie rated it liked it
We meet a new character in this volume. A super-smart kid who's just arrived at the school. His form is a paper giraffe. And he claims he can tell who everyone in the dream is.

So he makes a deal with the main character, because the main character is desperate to find out if the knight is the guy he-totally-doesn't-like-because-he's-a-guy-and-not-gay. The main character has to promise to obey his orders in the dream, and then he'll tell him who everyone is.

Naturally things do not go entirely to p
Yue
Feb 18, 2016 Yue rated it really liked it
Gosh this manga exhausts me. I don't like any of the characters, they all have their own dirty issue and seems like they are all out of their mind. And I still cannot stop reading it. I am glued to the screen (currently reading it online). I want to know where they all go after they get the key, what Mashiro will choose at the end, being a girl or a boy; I want to know if he will fall for Sou, what will happen to Kureha and lots of things. But the love triangle is killing me, Sou's secrey is ...more
Alicia
Jan 26, 2010 Alicia rated it really liked it
Volume three includes more symbolism, some of it not clear to me. I understand the obvious significance of the moon, for instance, behind Mashiro in the two page full color picture (which I don't like though it is drawn and colored well) but I am certain there is another significance that I don't understand, one that has something to do with the dark moon some of the other students can see but Mashiro can't.

I like the look at human nature this manga shows. It's more on the obvious side since it
Kati
Nov 23, 2012 Kati rated it really liked it
I'm glad that Mashiro's finally starting to open up to Sou, admitting to himself that maybe he isn't a HE after all, maybe he really is a SHE. Sou's attention, his admittance that he loved Mashiro the way she was, a tall, bony, beautiful girl, that it didn't matter to Sou that Mashiro dressed like a boy, trying to convince everybody - herself included - that she was male...

It's a bit difficult to choose the correct pronoun for a review because Sou sees Mashiro as a SHE, Kureha sees Mashiro as a
Susan
Feb 28, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Treasure
This manga series isn't for everyone, as it deals with some pretty serious and uncomfortable issues, but I really enjoy how the manga handles issues face on. The constant dark drama is wearisome, however. Some things seem obvious to me and I want to reach out and shake the characters until they see it too, but alas, where is the fun in that?
Wangui
Jun 08, 2008 Wangui rated it liked it
OK again you may be thinking "what the hell" but let me just say this: this series is to me as Sou is to Ichi, I hate it but I cant seem to get enough of it(that sort of came out wrong but i hoope u get the point).......BUT SERIOUSLY ichi just needs to accept that hes gay and move on with his like he is getting on my nerves.
Aredhel
Liked it not as much as I liked the previous two volumes.
Frankly speaking, I would have given up this series if I wasn't interested in the mysteries that really intrigue me. So, I'm gonna continue with the series and I'm looking forward to reading the next volume and I really hope, that it will be better, than this one.
Zac Chase
Mar 14, 2014 Zac Chase rated it it was amazing
next book in the series.

china or japan modern day, dream realm.

mashiro is trying to find out who the black night but kureha thinks he is avoiding her.

mashiro dynamic. messed up, loving, stupid. "you are pretty kureha youre adorable." page 23

dont get confused keep your eyes on the goal.

dont use reading strategy.

i loved it.
Shauna
May 06, 2015 Shauna rated it liked it
The story unfolds in a really interesting and odd way. I can't give this five stars because the characters behave in irrational ways that make me scream at the page...NO ONE TALKS OR THINKS LIKE THIS! But it has an odd charm and I'm enjoying this series...
Matie *Crazy Cat Lady*
Dec 02, 2015 Matie *Crazy Cat Lady* rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, re-read
My only complain is that Mashiro´s whining and his obsession with the other´s identities are starting to annoy me.
Taylor Whitlock
Taylor Whitlock rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Summer
Summer rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2014
Fearnomore
Fearnomore rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Holly Letson
Holly Letson rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2012
Mariam
Mariam rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Paula
Paula rated it really liked it
May 18, 2009
Jenna VW
Jenna VW rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Stevie
Stevie rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2011
Alaina
Alaina rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2014
Akane
Akane rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2013
Kai
Kai rated it did not like it
Mar 23, 2016
Shiny Marfil
Shiny Marfil rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2015
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2010
Shay lowery
Shay lowery rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2011
Amanda Johnson
Amanda Johnson rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2012
  • Cantarella, Volume 6
  • The Cain Saga, Volume 02
  • Princess Princess, Volume 01
  • Papillon 3
  • Mars, Volume 07
  • Loveless, Volume 3
320741
Mizushiro Setona (水城 せとな or 水城雪可奈) is a popular manga-ka (Japanese comics creator) who started out in the dōjinshi (self published manga) circles. Her first real dabble in the world of creating manga was in 1985 when she participated in the publication of a dōjinshi. She remained active in the dōjinshi world until her debut in 1993 with the short single "Fuyu ga Owarou Toshiteita" (Winter Was Endi ...more
More about Setona Mizushiro...

放課後保健室 / Houkago Hokenshitsu / After School Nightmare (10 books)
  • After School Nightmare, Volume 1