Start by marking “Dark Places” as Want to Read:
Dark Places
Read Excerpt

Dark Places

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  247,375 ratings  ·  23,240 reviews

Libby Day was seven when her mother and two sisters were murdered in “The Satan Sacrifice" of Kinnakee, Kansas.” She survived—and famously testified that her fifteen-year-old brother, Ben, was the killer. Twenty-five years later, the Kill Club—a secret secret society obsessed with notorious crimes—locates Libby and
Published May 5th 2009 by Shaye Areheart Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Places, please sign up.

Judy Desetti As a middle school librarian my vote is NOT appropriate for a 14 yr old. Give yourself about 2 or 3 more years and come back to it. Books don't go…moreAs a middle school librarian my vote is NOT appropriate for a 14 yr old. Give yourself about 2 or 3 more years and come back to it. Books don't go away, they will still be available in a few years when you have more life experiences and can understand the depth of emotions for the characters and events. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Judy The note book had Krissi name written all over it because he wanted to name his then unborn daughter after her, which is creepy in its own right, but…moreThe note book had Krissi name written all over it because he wanted to name his then unborn daughter after her, which is creepy in its own right, but he wasn't a pedophile, just a VERY weak minded mess up kid. I do think if things worked out differently he WOULD have gone too far with Krissi. I don't think she wanted us to forgive him, but I can see where someone might get that impression.(less)

Emily May

I highly recommend reading this whilst sitting in the sun with plenty of happy people around you (as I did) - that way you can avoid contracting something evil and nasty from its pages, and also avoid losing any hope you had for humanity. Okay, sorry, I make it sound so negative when actually this book is pretty fantastic if you can stomach the horrors within. I ate this up in a couple of days, finding every opportunity to read that I could... Flynn certainly has a talent for dragging you into
Kat O'Keeffe
I loved the writing style and the characterization so much--Gillian Flynn is a fantastic author! And I was so hooked by the mystery right away, I just flew through this book. Toward the end I did feel like we lost a little steam, but all the twists and revelations still kept things interesting, and overall I thoroughly enjoyed this! Definitely looking forward to seeing the movie, and probably picking up Gone Girl very soon here!

i was not a lovable child, and i'd grown into a deeply unlovable adult. draw a picture of my soul, and it'd be a scribble with fangs.

gillian flynn sure does love writing about horrible people doing horrible things.and i sure do love reading about them. especially because she isn't one of those writers coasting on shock value and "can you belieeeeeve a delicate flower of a woman is writing this??" but she can really tell a story and i, for one, was completely surprised and pleased by the ending o
Oct 02, 2010 Tatiana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who can stomach filth
As seen on The Readventurer

Seriously, what goes on in Gillian Flynn's head? She writes the freakiest stuff. Sharp Objects was nasty enough, and Dark Places is just as vile. Luckily for her, I (along with millions of people) like vile now and then.

Libby Day is a sole survivor of a horrendous massacre. Her mother and two sisters were brutally killed one winter night and, mostly thanks to Libby's testimony, the murders were attributed to Libby's older brother Ben, an alleged active Satan worshiper.
Sue Bridehead (A Pseudonym)
Jan 14, 2014 Sue Bridehead (A Pseudonym) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: thriller lovers, true crime fans, women
Recommended to Sue Bridehead (A Pseudonym) by: Entertainment Weekly
Normally I wouldn't give a genre book like this a 5-star review, because I'm picky and controlling about handing out major praise. How could a crime/mystery be as good as, say, Thomas Hardy or Alice Munro? Apples and oranges.

But I just finished this about five minutes ago, and it made me gasp. It's so good -- a well-paced page-turner, beautifully wrought. I literally couldn't put it down for longer than a couple hours at a time once I picked it up (with the exception of sleep).

According to her A
Raeleen Lemay
I have now officially read all of Gillian Flynn's books, and I really enjoyed this one!

The story and the characters were so twisted, and the last hour or so of the audiobook was insaaaane.
Gripping and entertained!

You gotta believe in something, right? Everyone has their thing.

This is my second novel by Gillian Flynn, and now I am realizing that I have been reading them backwards, I mean in the opposite publishing order, but this has been due mainly the order of film adaptations. However, I won’t wait until having any film adaptation of Sharp Objects, to read that one. I do hope to read it in the following months.

My reading experience with Gone Girl wasn’t any good
Gillian Flynn's first novel, Sharp Objects, was interestingly disturbing; in fact, it walked a razor-thin line between "Huh, you certainly don't read that every day" and "Gillian Flynn has some serrrriiiious issues and I'm a little bit afraid of her". I wasn't sure whether I respected her extremely dark side or her dark side is so dark it makes her books kind of uncomfortable to read.

Strangely enough (once you know the story outline) Dark Places actually has a more conventional plot than Sharp
As someone who grew up in rural Kansas and has lived in the suburbs of Kansas City for the last fourteen years, I made my peace long ago with the fact that I don’t reside in one of the hip places on the map. The only Kansas based things that have worked their way into popular culture are In Cold Blood and that goddamn Wizard of Oz. (As a Kansan, I listen to everyone I’ve met from somewhere else do the “I guess you’re not in Kansas anymore! Ha ha!” thing and can barely resist the urge to punch th ...more
{BR with Scarlet}

"The truly frightening flaw in humanity is our capacity for cruelty - we all have it."

photo monsters-are-real_zpsgobyq5yz.jpg

I have no emotions left.

photo giphy_zpsw0cpzh18.gif

This is a book that will stay with me forever. It left me speechless in different ways, with pretty intense emotions from anger and sadness coupled with hopelessness.

photo vodka-gif_zpsc3beoi7y.gif

This is not just a thriller/mystery/suspense novel but an absolute psychological roller coaster. I found myself almost too scared to keep reading, but so riveted I just HAD to find out what would happen
Dan Schwent
When person or persons unknown murdered her entire family, seven year old Libby Day managed to escape and fingered her brother Ben as the killer. Now, decades later, she's dysfunctional and nearly penniless, and after meeting some true crime enthusiasts, isn't so sure her brother was the murderer after all. Can Libby discover the truth?

After dodging Gillian Flynn for years in the wake of Gone Girl, I finally caved it when this showed up in one of my daily cheap ebook emails. Gillian Flynn, where
Kristin (KC)
*4.5 Stars*

Gillian Flynn scares me…

But it’s a good scare! A keep-you-up-all-night-anxiously-reading-because-closing-the-book-is-not-an-option kinda scare.

If you thought Gone Girl was twisted, make room for Dark Places because this suspenseful thriller takes “freaky” to whole new level.

I went in thinking I was fully prepared…

I wasn’t.

This book is so astoundingly demented, it truly makes me wonder exactly how Miss Flynn thinks up such uniquely bold scenarios. The plot is so “out-there”, yet
Lesson learned # 1: Gillian Flynn is excellent at creating unpleasant characters and disturbing situations.
Lesson learned # 2: Reading her books in a dark apartment at 3 am is a big making-skin-crawl mistake.

Dark Places is a book capable of leaving a nasty aftertaste and vague uncomfortable feeling for days after finishing it. I strongly suspect it is its inte
Well. I can't really say that I liked this book. None of the characters are likable, including the main character. Libby Day's family was killed by her brother when she was 7. By the time she hits 30, she's still 7 inside, her inner growth stunted by the tragedy. She can barely take care of herself, has never had a job, and suddenly the money that strangers donated out of charity over the years is down to about $900. To replenish her bank account, Libby grudgingly agrees to pimp herself out to a ...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
I read Dark Places waaaaaaaay before I ever thought about writing giffy reviews for a hobby. That ‘splains why there’s always just been my 4 Star rating sitting here with no picture book accompaniment. But I live where this book takes place and I’m familiar with the landmarks and the vibe of certain locales that made the action so tangible to me and soon it will hit the big screen filled with A-list actors in the starring roles causing people to poke around and find my ugly blank review space.

Natalie Monroe
"I was not a lovable child, and I'd grown into a deeply unlovable adult. Draw a picture of my soul and it'd be a scribble with fangs."

Flynn has a gift for creating absolutely despicable characters that you can't help but sympathize with.

Everyone in this book is horrible, from the narrator's ten-year-old sister, who is a gossip-monger and blackmails people for their silence, to the deadbeat dad who physically threatens his wife for money.

Even the main character, Libby, isn't spared. She's the
Jonathan Janz
Back in 2012 and early 2013, I remember hearing a lot about a baseball player named Mike Trout. Being a Cubs fan (see: suffering), I didn't get many chances to watch the Angels since they play late at night, and for me that's prime writing time.

But my son and I got the opportunity to catch an Angels-Cubs game on July 10th, 2013, and I finally got the opportunity to watch Mike Trout play in person at Wrigley Field.

His stat line? Three hits, two of them doubles. A walk. A stolen base. Some spark
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Other Reviewers mentioned they didn't like Libby! How can you NOT love Libby. She's emotionally troubled, selfish, lazy, angry and does not want to love anyone including herself. She is exactly how you would expect someone to be when your entire family is butchered while you are hiding and eventually running for your life.

Flynn, I bow down to you for not making this character "rise above" her past and for writing a character so perfectly, that my heart literally felt like it was broken while I
This book was insaaaaane. But so so good. Dark Places was my first Gillian Flynn book (though I have seen the Gone Girl movie) but I fully plan on picking up her other books now.

It’s the kind of novel that makes you question what on earth we humans can come up with. I kept wondering what was going on in Gyllian Flynn’s head. How does she think of these things?

Dark Places is vile, macabre and gruesome. The author doesn’t hold back, instead she seemingly bombards you with everything ugly that is o
I am a liar and a thief. Don't let me into your house, and if you do, don't leave me alone. I take things. You can catch me with your string of fine pearls clickering in my greedy little paws, and I'll tell you they reminded me of my mother's and I just had to touch them, just for a second, and I'm so sorry, I don't know what came over me.

Libby Day's entire family was slaughtered, and she fingered her brother as the murderer. Locked up and far out of sight, Libby is 'living' her life... as muc

Well, unfortunately this wasn't the page turner Gone Girl was for me. The most interesting thing about this book in my opinion was Libby's character. Where Gone Girl started out slow and then got really good, this one started out amazing and then went flat. I do like that Gillian Flynn creates these screwed up characters and I found Libby to be somewhat entertaining. Ms. Flynn isn't known for writing likable characters to be inspired by, but Libby was interesting. Her emotional growth was k
If I have learned one thing from this author, it's that she can write some psychotic characters. And that's what I love the most about her books. You never know who you should trust, every person you meet feels like a bomb that's about to explode in your face. Bring it ON!!

While Flynn is best known for her more recent release, Gone Girl, and while that book is a serious messed up ride that I won't soon forget, I have to say that I think I enjoyed Dark Places just as much, if not a bit more than
Supreet *The Cupcake Queen*
5 Stars!!!!!

Despite being thrillers not my preferred genre, this is the second book that features murder and mayhem and a killer that I have read in past couple of days. An surprisingly, I am not at all missing the 'love' and obviously the 'sex' between the fictional characters.

This could be mostly due to the fact that GF has an amazing, AMAZING talent for writing stories. It is extremely rare to find a book where you have great writing, fantastic characters and incredible story line. This boo
Gillian Flynn scares the shit out of me. Whilst this is nothing more than pure conjecture, it wouldn’t surprise me to learn she was a serial killer in a former life, or that she stabs bunnies and kittens and hamsters and toy poodles during her spare time (for research purposes). Sure, she has her shit together, but she has an interesting way of sprinkling her love for Kansas across 368 ink-splattered pages. It begs the question: What would she do with a state like California and in a city like L ...more
Dean Petersen
This is an amazing novel. Black and depressing, with a main character that's both pathetic and disgusting, but likable at the same time. Meloncholy, ironic, dark and wonderful.
(9 3/4) Gerasimos Kyritsis
Disturbing, violent, dark and mysterious with a hypnotic tendency towards the macabre!

I read Flynn's first novel in February and I immensely fell in love with it. It was shocking, violent, dark but it was also amazingly clever. Therefore, I had to read more books by her! I am so glad that I did. This is, dare I say, even better than Sharp Objects!

It is a very dark and violent read, exactly like Flynn's first work. She is not afraid to talk about controversial issues. However, although I was co
When Libby Day was seven, her mother and two sisters were brutally murdered in their farmhouse, her 15-year old brother convicted of the crime thanks in part to her eye witness testimony. It's now almost 25 years later and Libby goes back and reconnects with the major participants, including her brother, Ben. However, she's not doing this for altruistic reasons.

To describe this story as dark is an understatement. What makes it so disturbing are the ages of those involved and how ordinary most o
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn-Audio Version I enjoyed this dark, messed up novel!

Gone Girl was my first Gillian Flynn read. I listened to that one on audio as well and I enjoyed how there were two narrators and the chapters alternated between them.

I put a reserve in at the library for this one and was interested to see that this audio book had 4 narrators- I expected to be pleased with the outcome-and I was.

Libby Day, the sole surviving member of the Day family, (except for Ben Day, currently inc
Apr 15, 2015 Laz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
I've said it before and I'll say it again, this author has a very unique (unique as in dark and twisted) trail of thoughts and that combined with her amazing set of writing skills, which is very depicting and cuts right to the chase of the story, makes her stand out among other writers of our times.

This story is particulary dark & twisted (darker than 'Gone Girl'). Well, we cannot blame Mrs. Flynn as she already did her part in naming the book 'Dark Places' which is NEON LIGHTS for "dark and
Oh, Gillian Flynn. Reading her books always makes me feel like I need to get in the tub and scrub myself clean. That's not exactly a complaint, but nor is it a compliment. Her novels are dark, disturbing, dirty, disgusting...yet also total page-turners you can't put down.

She excels at creating grim, memorable characters and settings that leap out from the page. Flynn also consistently creates a mood in her books that has you checking out your window every now and then just to remind yourself th
2015 Reading Chal...: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn 1 5 Nov 22, 2015 12:09PM
Danske Læsere / D...: * Oktober 2015: Kritmi/spændning: Dark Places af Gillian Flynn 5 22 Nov 19, 2015 06:56AM
I need more!!! 6 44 Nov 16, 2015 11:21AM
Did anyone else hate Ben? *spoilers* 9 250 Oct 24, 2015 01:27AM
  • Fludd
  • Die a Little
  • Boom!
  • Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3)
  • Reconstructing Amelia
  • Freak
  • Into the Darkest Corner
  • Kill You Twice (Gretchen Lowell, #5)
  • A Simple Plan
  • The One I Left Behind
  • One Breath Away
  • Alex (Verhœven, #2)
  • Awakening
  • The Grifters
  • Choke Hold
  • If You Were Here
  • Bare Bones (Temperance Brennan, #6)
Gillian Flynn is an American author and television critic for Entertainment Weekly. She has so far written three novels, Sharp Objects, for which she won the 2007 Ian Fleming Steel Dagger for the best thriller; Dark Places; and her best-selling third novel Gone Girl.

Her book has received wide praise, including from authors such as Stephen King. The dark plot revolves around a serial killer in a Mi
More about Gillian Flynn...

“I was not a lovable child, and I'd grown into a deeply unlovable adult. Draw a picture of my soul, and it'd be a scribble with fangs.” 473 likes
“I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at my belly and it might slide out, meaty and dark, drop on the floor so you could stomp on it.” 280 likes