Start by marking “Orphan at My Door: The Home Child Diary of Victoria Cope” as Want to Read:
Orphan at My Door: The Home Child Diary of Victoria Cope

Orphan at My Door: The Home Child Diary of Victoria Cope (Dear Canada)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  860 ratings  ·  48 reviews
In 1897, in Guelph, Ontario, eleven-year-old Victoria chronicles her family's experiences when they take in twelve-year-old Mary Anna, an orphan, who has been separated from her siblings
Published January 1st 2001 by Scholastic Canada

To ask other readers questions about Orphan at My Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orphan at My Door

With Nothing But Our Courage by Karleen BradfordNo Safe Harbour by Julie LawsonOrphan at My Door by Jean LittleFootsteps in the Snow by Carol MatasIf I Die Before I Wake by Jean Little
Dear Canada Series
3rd out of 35 books — 40 voters
Marie Antoinette by Kathryn LaskyCleopatra VII by Kristiana GregoryAnastasia by Carolyn MeyerElizabeth I by Kathryn LaskyVoyage on the Great Titanic by Ellen Emerson White
Our favorite diary books
32nd out of 175 books — 113 voters

More lists with this book...

Brianna
My 10 year old self: This is SUCH A GREAT BOOK! It is a diary about Canada, this time written by the character Victoria Josophine Cope, a 10-year-old girl in which loves to write. In her adventures, she meets a raggetty Mary Anna, learns her story, and becomes great friends. Together they find Mary Anna's brother, who was adopted by another family and rescue him from beatings. Please read this book. It is almost a five star read.
Mirela P.
Книгата много ми хареса макар и да се развива в едно време много далеч от сегашното. От начало беше леко скучна, но по средата вече ми се наложи да я прочета на един дъх. Темата за страданието е много актуална и днес, тъй като на много майки им се налага да оставят децата си, защото не могат да ги гледат. Като цяло книгата си струва да се прочете.
Jenna Leigh
Probably my second favourite in the series, next to Brothers Far from Home: The World War I Diary of Eliza Bates! The best thing about all of the Dear Canada books is that each time I've read one, it's inspired me to research a new event in Canadian history, and so I've learned a ton about our country. Learning about the Barnardo homes was incredibly interesting. It is so horrifying what many of these children had to go through. It's just unreal to think about.

On a side note, in Anne of Green Ga
Rebecca
This book is one of the Dear Canada series, which are historical novels, written in diary format, about fictional girls during different periods of Canadian history.

Victoria Cope, who lives in the town of Guelph, Ontario, begins her diary on her eleventh birthday. Because her mother is unwell, her father decides the family will take in a Home Child, an orphan from England, to help with the housework. The girl who joins their household is a small, quiet twelve-year-old named Mary Anna Wilson. Th
Georgia
Deirdre
The Dear Canada series features a variety of historical fiction novels for children aged 8 to 12. This novel, written as twelve-year-old Victoria Cope’s diary, follows a year of her life in Guelph Ontario in 1897. The diary focuses primarily on her family’s intake of a twelve-year-old home child named Marianna. While the books tells the story from the perspective of a young girl, it provides readers with insight to life in Ontario in 1897, the hardship experienced by home children, as well as th ...more
Giséle
This book is amazing! I've been reading the Dear Canada series for two years now, and this is one of the best!
So, the story goes that there is an eleven year old girl named Victoria Cope who lives in Guelph, Ontario in 1897. Her mother is unwell and they decide to apply for a Home Girl to take on duties in the household. Once their Home Girl Marianna arrives, Victoria is curious about why Marianna is never happy. As the two girls grow closer, Victoria insists that they must find Marianna's young
Shannon
Regina Mary
Another wonderful title from Dear Canada is waiting right at your doorstep. Orphan At My Door brings the captivating story of Eleven year old Victoria Cope and how her family take in a "Home Child" from England as a domestic servant. She must learn her dark secrets, but will she spill the beans? You'll find out in this story.
It's so captivating, well researched, and hard to put down! When I was driving to Toronto with my family yesterday, A broadcast came on about home children. I begged my par
Carina
This was a really good and interesting book, as are the rest of the books in its series. This book had many realistic and sad problems, that were overcome in am enthral lying story, like the birth of a baby, horrid relatives, runaway siblings, and horrible siblings. I recommend this book and the other books in its series, as they are excellent books.
Lydia
This book is a girl about Victoria Cope that lives in an orphan with other nice kids. Victoria was the youngest child in the orphanage. Since she was the youngest, she had the most attention, and was treated the nicest. But not until another Victoria who is younger than her comes in to the orphan. The people in the orphan takes care of her more than Victoria Cope, so she gets jealous and writes how she feels ion her diary. Victoria is a nice girl that likes to help others. But sometimes, there a ...more
Nav
Mackenzie. R
I LOVE THIS BOOK! There are so many series of these “dear Canada” books. I read it at school and was so fascinated I couldn't put it down!
Highjump
An important addition to the Canadian Orphan genre.
Tirza Horvath
Even thought this book wasn't a real read, it was based on reality, therefore it is moving to see how terribly some children were treated, and the condition they were living only because of their parentage, or shall I say lack of parentage.
Tessa G
It was SUCH a cute book.
Tracy Tang
I just found out that I don't like reading Historical books. I find them kinda boring.
Molly
Nov 11, 2012 Molly added it
This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not.
Jennifer Short
I love the Dear America and Dear Canada series. This is the best of the Dear Canada series I've read and is either equal to or as good as the best of the Dear America series. Victoria's family gets a home child, Mary Ann, who ends up becoming a good friend. But Mary Ann's brother is sent to be a home child to a man who starves the boy and has severly beat him. Victoria and Mary Ann set out to help Mary Ann's brother!
Chelsea C
Another of my favourite Dear Canada books! I found it very interesting to learn about Home children.
Shanelle
Sep 04, 2012 Shanelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to read about Canadian history
Another book from the Dear Canada series focussing on the home children who came to Canada in search of a family and a better life. Orphan At My Door is a beautifully written story that will leave the readers in awe as they read about the story of Marianna Wilson, through the eyes of Victoria Cope. This book is definitely worth reading and will leave the readers wanting more.
Sonja
This was the first Dear Canada book I read. I loved it so much that I remember wanting all of the dear Canada books that were published at the time.
I love the Dear Canada Books. They talk about real facts but sometimes with fictional characters. This one is about a girl who her parents decide to get an orphan for chores. The surprise is another family member of the orphan comes and lives with the girls family. Its sad,funny and happy! It is a great book. I really like this book and I hope you do too!!
Jessie
This was the first book I read that was written like a diary. I wasn't sure what I would think of that kind of writing but I was hooked instantly on, not only this book, but diaries as well. And, get this, it made me, at the time I read it, a picky reader, fall in love with historical fiction.
Judi
I really enjoyed this book. An interesting subject of our past The home child. I thought maybe it would be another story about an orphan child being sent to a family with mean non compassionate parents but the parents are the kind you would hope all children have in life. Great story
Michelle
This was my favorite book of all of the Dear Canada Series. Quite honestly, I still love it. It has such a good, strong story to it,and the characters are very well developed. The historic factor was also something that attracted me, like all of the other ones.
Victoria-Lynn Winning
Another rich story from Jean Little - I learned a lot about the Barnardo home children. This story actually got better as it went on (not that the beginning wasn't decent). Love the historical notes and pictures at the back!
Teresa
Orphan at My Door was such a difficult book to read. It is hard to imagine that children were sent thousands of miles away because they were orphans. The way Marianna was treated was horrid. I highly recommend this book.
Rachel
This was my favourite book in the Dear Canada series. The events are amazing and the character is very interesting. It was a really good read and it's a very hard book to put down. Otherwise, I'm speechless to how good it was!
Emma
Apr 04, 2015 Emma rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone! :)
Recommended to Emma by: I just saw other people reading it and i thought they might be g
I love this book! I finsished it! I loved it you would never belive the kinds of things that happen in this book! And it's all real. Everything written down (well typed) in this book really happened.
Goodreads Librari...: Merge request 5 18 Jun 04, 2013 08:19PM
  • With Nothing But Our Courage: The Loyalist Diary of Mary MacDonald (Dear Canada)
  • Alone in an Untamed Land: The Filles Du Roi Diary of Helene St. Onge (Dear Canada)
  • No Safe Harbour: The Halifax Explosion Diary of Charlotte Blackburn, Halifax, Nova Scotia, 1917
  • A Prairie as Wide as the Sea: The Immigrant Diary of Ivy Weatherall
  • Footsteps in the Snow: The Red River Diary of Isobel Scott
  • Whispers of War: The War of 1812 Diary of Susanna Merritt
  • A Trail of Broken Dreams: The Gold Rush Diary of Harriet Palmer (Dear Canada)
  • An Ocean Apart: The Gold Mountain Diary of Chin Mei-Ling, Vancouver, British Columbia, 1922 (Dear Canada)
  • Banished from Our Home: The Acadian Diary of Angélique Richard
  • Prisoners in the Promised Land: The Ukrainian Internment Diary of Anya Soloniuk
  • A Rebel's Daughter: The 1837 Rebellion Diary of Arabella Stevenson (Dear Canada)
  • Winter of Peril: The Newfoundland Diary of Sophie Loveridge (Dear Canada)
  • Not a Nickel to Spare: The Great Depression Diary of Sally Cohen (Dear Canada)
  • Torn Apart: The Internment Diary of Mary Kobayashi (Dear Canada)
  • A Sea of Sorrows: The Typhus Epidemic Diary of Johanna Leary
Jean Little is a Canadian author, born in Taiwan. Her work has mainly consisted of children's literature, but she has also written two autobiographies: Little by Little and Stars Come Out Within. Little has been partially blind since birth as a result of scars on her cornea and is frequently accompanied by a guide dog.
More about Jean Little...

Dear Canada (1 - 10 of 35 books)
  • A Prairie as Wide as the Sea: The Immigrant Diary of Ivy Weatherall
  • Footsteps in the Snow: The Red River Diary of Isobel Scott
  • A Ribbon of Shining Steel: The Railway Diary of Kate Cameron (Dear Canada)
  • Whispers of War: The War of 1812 Diary of Susanna Merritt
  • Brothers Far from Home: The World War I Diary of Eliza Bates (Dear Canada)
  • A Trail of Broken Dreams: The Gold Rush Diary of Harriet Palmer (Dear Canada)
  • Banished from Our Home: The Acadian Diary of Angélique Richard
From Anna Brothers Far from Home: The World War I Diary of Eliza Bates (Dear Canada) If I Die Before I Wake: The Flu Epidemic Diary of Fiona Macgregor (Dear Canada) Mine for Keeps Dancing Through the Snow

“A man can work from sun to sun, But a woman's work is never done.” 1 likes