The Day the Babies Crawled Away

The Day the Babies Crawled Away

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  529 ratings  ·  110 reviews
What a lovely day at the fair. Children lining up for pony rides . . . moms and dads in a pie-eating contest . . . babies chasing butterflies . . . babies heading for the trees . . . I SAY! Where are those babies GOING? Only a small boy sees them leaving and follows as the babies chase butterflies in trees, frogs in a bog, even bats in a cave, ignoring pleas to come back....more
Published October 13th 2003 by Putnam Juvenile (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Day the Babies Crawled Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day the Babies Crawled Away

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleIn the Night Kitchen by Maurice SendakThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickThe Wolves in the Walls by Neil GaimanThe Lorax by Dr. Seuss
Picture Books With Amazing Art
41st out of 215 books — 131 voters
Officer Buckle and Gloria by Peggy RathmannRuby The Copycat by Peggy RathmannBootsie Barker Bites by Barbara BottnerGood Night, Gorilla by Peggy RathmannTen Minutes 'til Bedtime 6CART by Peggy Rathmann
Best of Peggy Rathman
6th out of 6 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

June
Jul 15, 2014 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people interested in unusual illustrations & picture books
Recommended to June by: Cap Choices
I love the illustrations and the quirky story. I used it with older story time groups. It kept 2 older girls & 2 younger boys interested for PJ Story Time today. 6/26/12

Used again for PJ Story Time. I think the father liked it better than his daughter. 7/23/14

I think this was the favorite book in story time today.
Kathryn
Fun rhyming text (though a bit uneven) and interesting silhouette illustrations and an engaging little adventure (though a bit alarming that all the parents let the babies crawl away!) and the older sibling (?) gets to be the hero so that will probably appeal to kids ;-)
Dolly
Jun 11, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, rhyming
This is a strange little tale about babies crawling away to dangerous places. I thought it was interesting that Peggy Rathmann wrote the book in the second person, as if the reader were part of the tale. And the illustrations are wonderfully creative, with black silhouettes framed by an ever darkening, but very colorful sky. The illustrations are very funny in places, which helps to soften the dangerous situations the babies got into.

Overall, we thought it was an entertaining story and we enjoy...more
Amanda Harrison
I read this book as a read aloud to third graders and second graders. The book is written in second person and the point of view brings you right in to the story. Even difficult classes sit quietly and with interest. The pictures and writing both draw students into the story. The tale of the babies is sweet and everyone feels good after listening to the story, I highly recommend this to a class who needs just a little pick me up, maybe after a contentious recess or difficult week. This book also...more
Kay Farmer
The book is so unique mainly because of the illustrations. The silhouette illustrations are a delightful change. The story is in rhyme, so children will enjoy the beat of the story. During a picnic the babies crawl away, only to been noticed by a young boy. They had quite the adventure and many humorous situations. Never fear they young boy saves the day.
Amanda
We were given this book when Jacob was born and it has quickly become a family favorite. The illustrations are really wonderful - the kids spend a lot of time poring over the details - and the story is perfect for older siblings of any age. I really like the rhyming and cadence of the text - it is a fun story to read aloud!
Alison
I loved the story, no doubt, of the little kid keeping an eye on all these babies that get away. My favorite thing about the book are the illustrations. The way the entire book is done in the silhouette look was fantastic. Completely different and so fun. I absolutely love this book!
Kirsti Call
This is one of my absolute favorites! The rhymes and rhythms are masterfully done, and the story is delightful! This is a book that I don't mind reading over and over. Every time we read it, we discover something new and interesting in the illustrations. This is a must read!
Hally Levine
I recommend this book to kids because it is a good story. The pictures are cool. I like the babies in the bird's nest the best. It is a funny book.
Molly
A wonderful story about a little hero. I am using this as one title in my 'Hero month' storytime session.
Adam Bakken
This is a story about an unnamed child following and retrieving runaway (crawlaway) babies from a country fair. While the parents are face deep in some pie eating, all five babies start crawling away. In this book, all the characters are silhouettes only, and the main character is identifiable by his firefighter hat. At first, the character tries to yell at the babies to stop, but they continue to crawlaway, so he follows after them. The go on several adventures throughout the book, and eventua...more
Erin
The pictures in this story are all in silhouette with a sunset in the background. It's very pretty and gives the young ones a different perspective on how pictures can portray a story--even without all the details.

Good for preschool or toddler storytimes.
Brooke
Love the silhouette pictures, we find something different each time we read it...my daughter loves looking for the upside down baby on each page and laughing hysterically.
Katie
We love this book - not only did we read it to our little kids, but we also often give it as a gift. Illustrations are beautiful and the story is great!
Traci
This book was adorable! It was one I would definitely read to my future students. The pictures were so cute and the rhyming was very clever. I noticed in every picture with the babies, there was always one baby hanging upside down in the background which made me laugh. I found it interesting that the author wrote the book in the style where she was referring to you, the reader, as the character in the book. I haven't see that often and I thought that was neat, it makes it more fun (though in the...more
george
Rathmann's story begins when all the babies crawl away (their parents are busy eating pies). The rhyming sotry shows us the adventures the babies have--from hanging in trees, to chasing bees. One little boy is the only one to notice the babies when they left and he follows, trying to keep them safe. But with so many babies on the loose, it isn't easy!

I loved this! So cute, and the silhouette illustrations were amazingly intricate and enjoyable. As one reviewer mentioned, you can see the unique p...more
Katie
This was a fun and different kind of heroic kids story. I really enjoyed the rhyming style of it and my kids wanted me to read it several times over.
Deirdre Keating
Sean's most recent check-out. We love Rathman's Goodnight Gorilla and Ten Minutes to Bedtime, but this one has a very different feel to it. As if the subject matter was a little creepy (the babies all crawl away...), the silhouette illustrations make it even moreso.

Still, Sean was fascinated by the dark images, and imagined himself as the fireman-hat-wearing boy who rescues babies who are oblivious to the danger around them. As a new big brother, he especially loved the final image of the brave...more
Dena
Apr 04, 2008 Dena rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People with young children
Shelves: read-with-kids
This one is an all-time favorite at our house! The illustrations all look like shadows, and there is a catapillar on each page with the little boy that my kids love to look for. The other fun thing is that as the babies pass different areas, a creature from each area comes with them. This is only happening in the illustrations and not the narration, and so it is fun to look for on each page as well. It is a perfect bedtime story.
Connie
This is a story about, as you may have guessed, a boy who saves five babies after they crawl away. (The moms and dads were eating pies, and didn't see the babies leave.)

The characters are drawn, as the cover indicates, as silhouettes, but all the same you can see some personality on them - especially the baby that's always upside down!

Please note that this book is oversized, and you may have difficulty shelving it.
Karen
I love this book. I snagged it back from my classroom and have read it to Daisy & Stella 8,000 times since. Okay, maybe it was 8 times, but I intend to read it 8,000 times. The silhouette illustrations make it perfect for an infant (if she was paying attention), the storyline is right up a 3.5 year old's alley - and a third grader's alley if my class was any indication. I love this book.
Mary
A playful and unique story told in second person narrative to involve the reader: "Remember the way they followed you home that day? Through the cave and the trees, on their brave little knees, waving "bye-bye" to the bats and the bees...." The illustrations are lovely: silhouettes against a changing, but always colourful sky. My kids both love this book.
Trisha Simmons
This is a fun book that rhymes. It would be a good book for K-2nd grade. The illustrations are fun and the story is cute. It's about a boy who follows after the babies when they crawl away and the adventure they go on so the boy can get them back home. The babies chase after bees,climb trees, take naps, and get hungry and cry.
Joan Alleyne
The first time I saw this book, it was being read to a group of preschoolers. The teacher was so articulate and read it with such fervor that I was as engaged as the preschoolers. I had to find it and read it myself. The rhyming and the flow of the words almost feel as if it should have been a song! I Love this book!
Allison
I was first drawn to this book because of the art - isn't it often that way with children's books? The book is filled with quirky silhouettes against a sky that changes from day to night. The unusual story told in the form of free verse is what really pleased me. No spoilers but this book is a perfect bedtime tale.
Marla
This is a family favorite. For startes, the illustrations are uniquely beautiful - all done in evening silhouettes. The story is about how all the babies at a big picnic managed to crawl away and how one smart little guy saved the day. My children laugh outloud whenever we read this one.
Charlotte
The Day the Babies Crawled Away is wonderful! The story is cute and not too rhyme-y. The illustrations are brilliant. Who knew that pure black sillouettes could be so funny and engaging!

Anyone who as ever been stressed out by taking care of someone younger will apreciate this book.

Fisal Ansari
Age:
Grades 5-YA

Genre:
fiction

Diversity:
Children's perspective.

Illustrations:
glossy black and white and reds.

Personal response:
I thought this tale was a funny journey.

Curricular or programming connections: Picture tale, images and creating fiction.
Skylar Burris
I didn't like this much at first, but it really grew on me, which is good, because my daughter wanted it read approximately 632 times from the age of 2 to 4. The sillohuetes throughout are a unique touch, and it is rather quirky. She appreciated it more after she became a big sister.
Cassie Charlesworth
I loved this book! I loved the pictures! Loved the story! everything. The babies are crawl away when the parents are preoccupied at the picnic. One little boy goes after the babies and tries to save them from all the mischief they get into. It's a fun adventure for all kids.
  • Beegu
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • The Boy Who Grew Flowers
  • A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories
  • Who Needs Donuts?
  • If You'll Be My Valentine
  • Fin M'coul: The Giant of Knockmany Hill
Good Night, Gorilla Officer Buckle & Gloria Ruby The Copycat 10 Minutes till Bedtime Goodnight, Gorilla