Death by Panty Hose (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #6)

Death by Panty Hose (A Jaine Austen Mystery #6)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  1,026 ratings  ·  75 reviews
Freelance writer Jaine Austen has never been able to resist the siren call of an Eskimo Pie, just like she can't resist renewing her romance with Andrew, an old crush. With her bank account hitting new lows, she's also just agreed to write jokes for Dorcas, a stand-up comic who throws her pantyhose into the audience as a punch line.

Not only is Dorcas's act a bomb, she is

Published June 1st 2007 by Kensington

Ellie
Death by Panty Hose is #6 in Laura Levine's Jaine Austen mystery series. There is so much to kvetch about with this series-the predictability of both plot and dialogue for starts-that I'm going to simply by-pass the whole process and say:

I like this series.

I'm not sure why but it's mildly addictive. Like some not-very-good-for-you cellophane-wrapped concoction that you buy and complain about (as soon as you've finished scarfing it down). And then buy again.

I like Jaine (with an i). I like her ca...more
Nancy Narma
“More Enjoyable, Comical Adventures With Jaine”

Has life in this chaotic world got you down? Well, I highly suggest a trip into the wacky world of Jaine Austen. We join Jaine, strapped for cash and looking forward to a scheduled job interview with Stan McCormick of “Rubin-McCormick”, one of L.A.’s hottest ad agencies. While prepping herself for the interview, she receives a call from Comic, Dorcas MacKenzie, who wants Jaine to write some new comedic material, but, is only willing to pay a paltry...more
Christy
Freelance writer Jaine Austen’s finances are looking pretty good until a con man, under the guise of a potential employer, takes her for a free lunch and her Toyota. Now Jaine has to come up with enough funds for a new car. Desperate for money, she reluctantly agrees to become a writer for feminist comedian Dorcas MacKenzie whose signature is cutting up a pair of pantyhose and throwing it at her audience. On and off stage, Dorcas is heckled by Vic, a mean-spirited comedian who can’t keep his han...more
Jen Selinsky
Jaine Austen is an out of work advertisement writer. After having her car stolen and losing her chance for potential employment, she becomes desperate to find a job. She received a phone call from Dorcas, a budding comedian, whose comedy act leaves much to be desired. Jaine decides to try and help her. After witnessing one of Dorcas’s routines, Jaine is convinced that not even her talent as a writer can help Dorcas’s routine. Things go from desperate to shocking when Dorcas, in a fit of rage, at...more
Hapzydeco
In this parody of Hollywood behavior, Levin continues to crank out good mysteries with enjoyable laugh lines.
Katherine Rowland
I knew that this would be a "fluff" mystery when I picked it up at the library, so I wasn't expecting a great deal of gravitas or heavy plotting: I kept my expectations low. Even so, I was disappointed. The book is very repetitive. Every time food is offered to the heroine, she says she's not going to take it, and then she does. She says what others say, and then confesses that she made up part of it. After the first couple of times, this is no longer in any way funny: it's just plain annoying....more
Pattie Tierney
I confess, I'm a serial Laura Levine reader. Yes, there is some repetition from book to book, but not enough to keep me from putting one down and opening up another. I first became acquainted with Levine by way of an audio version of a holiday book called THE GINGERBREAD COOKIE MURDER, made up of three novellas, one by Joanne Fluke (whom I find unreadable), Leslie Meier, and Levine. The reader of the Levine offering gave such personality and character to heroine, Jaine Austen, that I immediately...more
Yvonne
Freelance writer Jaine Austen is once again unemployed and having a real bad day. Her ancient Toyota Corolla is stolen, her father is wanted by the police for stealing an old Hawaiian shirt, a potential employer calls her a liar and the only job prospect on her arisen is arrested for murder by pantyhose. The only thing Jaine can do is investigate the murder and not lose out on a job offer.

Jaine has more obstacles thrown in her path then she would care to admit. It all starts with her cat Prozac,...more
Heather
Michelle
Death by Pantyhose
Laura Levine
Mystery
287 pages
copyright: 2007
isbn: 0-7582-0786-7

Freelance writer Janie Austin has never been able to resist the siren call of Esikmo Pie, just like she can't resist renewing her romance with Andrew, an old crush. With her bank account hitting new lows, she's also just agreed to write jokes for Dorcas, a stand-up comic who throws her pantyhose into the audience as a punch line.

Not only is Dorcas's act a bomb, she is hackled by Vic, a gorgerous fellow comic. Natural...more
Mark Baker
The sixth Jaine Austen mystery finds Jaine agreeing to write jokes for an unfunny stand-up comic. But before she can get started, the woman is arrested for murder. The weapon, a pair of pantyhose. Definitely for those who love funny mysteries, this one will keep you laughing while you puzzle over the clues.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Amber  Cabrera
I have a hard time getting into most books. If it doesn't catch me within the first few minutes, I'm bored and stop reading. This book was interesting and humorous enough to keep me engaged the whole way. As a result, I finally have several other books by the same author on standby waiting to read them as well. For a picky reader like myself, it's really nice to finally find something that interests me.
Lindsay
All her books are pretty much the same, but still enjoyable. But I do hope one day she gets the cat declawed. I'd be super peeved if my cats were clawing up the furniture and pillows and everything.
In this book Jaine is looking for work (like always) and gets hired by Dorcas, a comedian who needs Jaine to write good jokes for her. The first night that Jaine goes to hear Dorcas's act, she meets a bunch of people who later become suspects when Dorcas's arch enemy Vic ends up dead, with Dorcas fou...more
Karen Davis engelbert
Jaine finds herself caught up in solving another murder with a lot of laughs along the way. She's a relatable character whose self-control is routinely tested when it comes to food, is always looking for her next job to pay the rent, and her cat Prozac rules the roost. Not my favorite of the Jaine Austen mysteries, but it's light humor.
Adrienne
DEATH BY PANTYHOSE
#6 in the Jaine Austen Series
-----------------------------
(Note: This series might be considered "fluff mystery" or "mystery-light." Each book can be read separately and out of order.)

While many of the jokes and much of the plot remain the same, I still enjoyed the novel. It seems like the writing improves as the series goes on (perhaps due to the "practice, practice, practice" mentioned in this installment and the confidence that stems from five successful and mostly well-rece...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This book is exactly why I always give an Author two chances to 'hook' me as a reader. This book was way more to my taste than the last one I'd read. In "Death by Pantyhose" there was a balance between the humor (which was more general,) and the actual murder mystery.

I truly enjoyed the e-mails from the parents and the inner 'thoughts' of Jaine as she bumps through her daily life while attempting to help others by solving crimes.

This book had it all, an interesting mode of murder, interesting...more
Ajasiri
The main character was likeable and the plot was uncomplicated. I congratulate the author on not having the old girl gets the boy thing at the end. It was funny and some parts were original. I wouldn't mind reading this author again. However I wasn't too fond of the way the protagonist would say one character said something and then confess that it wasn't actually the case and that they said something else. It felt like the author was trying too hard to make the character an enigma. While I can...more
Diane
Sep 06, 2007 Diane rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cozy Readers
Shelves: booksread
This was my least favorite of the series : (. I felt Laura's mind was elsewhere while writing this book. I really love Laura's series & comedic talent but it just wasn't displayed to full capacity.
I was very surprised to find myself reluctant to read this latest installment.
Death by Panty Hose is definitely not the book to read to discover the series.
I understand Laura's cat, Mr. Guy, passed away so I believe that may be why her heart wasn't in it.
I didn't like the story, one of the char...more
Terri
Jaine's day starts out great and then gets really bad after her car is stolen on her way to a job interview. So she takes a job to write jokes for a very bad comic to bring some money in. So she goes to watch the woman's act which ends with the woman dramatically cutting up a pair of pantyhose for the finale. The act wasnt funny, and it was even less funny when a rival comic is found dead later that night, strangled by pantyhose and her standing over the body.

I really enjoy this series. It is wi...more
Patti
This was such a funny book. I loved her writing style. Now, to me, the plot was a bit silly. I mean, someone strangled with a set of pantyhose? Anyway, it didn't matter since the writing was so humerous.
Jaine's day turns from good to bad and she ends up writing jokes for a terrible commedian who uses pantyhose in her act. When another nasty comic ends up strangled with the same kind of hose, Jaine decides to help solve the mystery. The whole club is filled with suspects who all have motives to...more
Christi
good book, if you've read laura levine in my opinion this is not her best, i still would read it again
Luffy Monkey D.
I had anecdotal based feedback about this book, and it wasn't good. I thought this book will disappoint but in fact it's one of the best mysteries I've ever read. While writing it's difficult to make a clue blend in with red herrings. Imagine how difficult it is to disguise a clue as a joke. That's awfully tough to pull off. I now feel that Laura Levine can do no wrong. The entire whole shift stick thing and the red hair incident were brilliantly thought of. The fact that this book scored even...more
Karelyn
There were a few raunchy parts :(, but overall fairly witty and entertaining.
Jackie
Another Jaine Austen mystery. This book was so funny. I love Jaine and her cat Prozac. In this one, Jaine’s car is stolen which forces her to take on a job she wouldn’t normally take on. Writing jokes for a stand up comedian named Dorcas who is not funny and ends her act by throwing her pantyhose into the audience. When a comic named Vic is strangled with a pair of pantyhose, Dorcas is the number one suspect. But there are lots of people who wanted Vic dead and Jaine sets out to find the murdere...more
Maria
I find these books very humorous - I'm enjoying this series
Hazel
Loved this! Funny & a good mystery.
Ronica
I found myself in another small reading slump this month, I pulled myself and finished this book here is what I think...

I love this series of cozy mysteries, reading about Jaine's antics puts a smile on my face. There are several laugh out moments for example Jaine's first date with hunky love interest Andrew. I high recommend the Austen series.
Liz
Another great one! I do enjoy this series! The ending was a bit different from usual which was fun. All the plotlines wove together nicely. On to the next book in the series!
Dorothy Timm
I always find Laura Levine books funny and enjoyable, and this was no exception. It doesn't matter that the true motivation for the murder isn't uncovered until near the end of the book. And it doesn't matter that she doesn't really do anything to solve the crime. I like her crazy cat and her crazy Mom and Dad, but most of all crazy Jaine.
Mailis Viiand
Its like a cartoon version of a mystery where everything is overly simplified, jokes are the same old same old, and Jaine herself is not very complicated or interesting or funny actually. But the writing is warm and given better ideas Levine could hopefully do so much better.
  • Die Job
  • Going, Going, Ganache (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • Slightly Irregular (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery #4)
  • Murder with Reservations (Dead-End Job Mystery, #6)
  • Acts of Violets (A Flower Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Mother's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #15)
  • The Chocolate Bear Burglary (A Chocoholic Mystery #2)
  • Chapter and Hearse (A Booktown Mystery, #4)
  • Index to Murder (Miss Zukas, #11)
  • Meow is for Murder (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #4)
Grew up in Brooklyn, New York, back when mastodons (and Edsels) still roamed the earth.

Education: Barnard College

First job: Reporter/photographer at a newspaper so small, we had our photos developed in the local camera shop.

Advertising claim to fame: I created Count Chocula and Frankenberry cereals for General Mills.

TV gets invented, and I get a job as a sitcom writer, turning out scripts for show...more
More about Laura Levine...
This Pen For Hire (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #1) Last Writes (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #2) Shoes To Die For (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #4) Killer Blonde (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #3) The PMS Murder (A Jaine Austen Mystery #5)