Start by marking “Rimbaud Complete ” as Want to Read:
Rimbaud Complete

Rimbaud Complete

4.42  ·  Rating Details ·  7,210 Ratings  ·  179 Reviews

Arthur Rimbaud is remembered as much for his volatile personality and tumultuous life as he is for his writings, most of which he produced before the age of eighteen. This book brings together his poetry, prose, and letters, including "The Drunken Boat," "The Orphans' New Year," "After the Flood," and "A Season in Hell," considered by many to be his. Complete Works is div

Paperback, Reprint Edition, 656 pages
Published February 24th 2003 by Modern Library Classics (first published 1870)

To ask other readers questions about Rimbaud Complete, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rimbaud Complete

Sebastienne Rimbaud
Mar 21, 2007 Sebastienne Rimbaud rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
Shelves: poetry
English-language poetry, excepting maybe the contributions of the Beats, has remained largely untouched by the Rimbaud phantasmagoria - interestingly enough, his enfant terrible personality made him more influential among protopunk musicians than poets. However, anyone who's ventured even slightly into the realm of European verse has fallen beneath the vast shadow of Rimbaud.

Considered the greatest of French poets by many, his verses were made even more remarkable by the dangerous philosophy of
ماهر Battuti
عشت سنوات كثيرة مع الشاعر المتمرد رامبو ، وقرأت أعماله كلها بالإنجليزية أولا ثم بالفرنسية ، وترحمت بعض قصائده ، ولكن هذا الكتاب للشاعر رفعت سلام قد أوفى بكل ما يريد القارئ العربى من احتواء لشعر رامبو .
الترجمة فى لغة جميلة رقراقة ، مع أمانة للنص الأصلى مما يجعل من الكتاب الذى وصلنى فى مهجرى حديثا ، المرجع الأخير بالعربية لهذا الشاعر الذى أصبح ايقونة هامة فى الشعر العالمى
Selena
Dec 11, 2011 Selena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thebest, poetry, 2011
rimbaud is comfort reading for the soul. i fell into reading him on accident, i was talking about poetry with a friend and he happened to mention that this was his favourite poet. and he told me all about rimbaud’s past, the tryst he had with paul verlaine, the religious upbringing he had and the curious fact that rimbaud stopped writing at 21. that he dropped everything to become a merchant and to run away from it all. my interest was piqued; there isn’t any way that it couldn’t be.

what strikes
Nik Kane
Jul 10, 2015 Nik Kane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I spent the summer of my 18th year in semi-voluntary exile on a tiny isle in the Adriatic. Of the few books I had room to pack I think two were different translations of Rimbaud and one was about him. I passed those four months drinking a lot, listening to a lot of Bob Marley, Bob Dylan and T-Rex, and reading Rimbaud constantly. These poems are so tied up in my mind with that period of time that I still can't read them without being instantaneously transported back there. Same with T-Rex's Elect ...more
Gray Side
Sep 28, 2016 Gray Side rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

كتاب مهم يشمل سيرة حياة الشاعر جان - نيكولاس آرثر رامبو، اضافة إلى صوره ورسائله لعائلته ومراسلاته مع صديقه الشاعر ڤيرلين، يضم الكتاب أعماله الشعرية الكاملة من كتاباته المدرسية إلى آخر أشعاره التي نشرت بعد اعتزاله المبكر للشعر.

المترجم الشاعر رفعت سلام بذل كامل جهده في جمع أعماله الكاملة من المراجع الفرنسية وترتيبها زمنياً للقارىء مع مقدمة بسيطة لكل فترة، يتضح ذلك في تدرّج شاعرية رامبو من أشعاره المبكرة التي تميل للصوفية حتى انتقل إلى قصائده الأكثر تمرداً وجراءة بنفس التصوف والشفافية وهذا
Haruka
Aug 29, 2012 Haruka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
He has cruelly, wildly, savagely, and oh, so beautifully
scratched, ripped off his own flesh,
his layers
Bloody, raw, completely blunt, pure,
everything and nothing
All is clear in the violent red
In the blood, in the teeth, in the aggression, in the claws
He has ripped away all his flesh
until he reaches his heart
As he writes
He is savagely ripping, biting, tearing
apart his very essence,
his beating heart
He is dying and living
Ripping and panting and breathing and biting
There is blood
So much blood
The
Neep
Jul 29, 2014 Neep rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poetry has always been kinda dull to me. Some poetry is pretty, but I've never really seen the point to it.

And then I discovered Rimbaud.

The thing about Rimbaud is that you can't read his poetry without knowing at least some of his backstory. His religious upbringing. His frequent rebellions and escapes. His affair with Paul Verlaine. And then, most amazing of all, the fact that he stopped writing poetry before he hit 21.

This collection is of everything that Rimbaud wrote, and he wrote it all at
محمد الحمراوي
لابد من الإشادة بالمجهود الذي بذله الشاعر الكبير "رفعت سلام" في ترجمة هذا العمل قبل كل شئ ، فقصائد رامبو أرهقت كل من تتبعها بحثاً وتحقيقاً ، وهذا لأنه لم ينشر أي من دواوينه ، سوى "فصل في الجحيم" الذي صدر تحت إشرافه وعلى نفقته الخاصة ، أما البقية فهي نتاج بحث الآخرين ، وعلى رأسهم صديقه "فيرلن" ، وجدير بالذكر أن قصائده إحتاجت من الوقت والمجهود الكثير للوقوف على الوثائق الأصلية التي تثبتها لصاحبها .

رامبو الشاب الذي كتب كل قصائده قبل أن يتم عامه الحادي والعشرين ، يبدو متأثراً بمشاعره الشابة ، التي
Jerry Landry
Jan 29, 2010 Jerry Landry rated it it was amazing
Rimbaud is one of those literary figures that I find myself coming back to from time to time and always developing a new fascination and affection for.
Hadrian
May 23, 2011 Hadrian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french, poetry, favorites
Incredibly emotional and beautiful stuff.
Cara
Jul 02, 2013 Cara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rimbaud's writing is very beautiful (of course) and very sad. However, Fowlie's translation is entirely unpoetic. His French is quite advanced but based on this translation, he has no sense of rhythm or gift for compression.

For example, Fowlie translates the line, "O Lune ou l'esprit de nos Soeurs mortes se plait" to the near-unintelligible "O Moon where the spirit of our dead Sisters like being." "Like being"? That barely makes sense, and it certainly doesn't come approach the delicate musical
Melanie
Nov 27, 2012 Melanie rated it it was amazing
I have very fond memories of finding Rimbaud. I was killing time in one of my favorite small bookstores before I was to meet friends and wound up in front of the poetry shelf on the second floor. His name sounded familiar to me from all my reading on Bob Dylan, and the wonderful movie "I'm Not There" where A.R. is played by Ben Whishaw ("R-I-M-B-A-U-D"), so I picked this volume off the shelf and started reading.

An hour later I was still on the floor of the bookstore, late to my appointment, and
Fatma Mohamed Tawfik
قرأت الكتاب في أقل من شهر _من نهاية مارس وحتى نهاية أبريل 2013_ ولم يبق فيه سوى 100 صفحة ثم انقطعت عنه ولم أستطع العودة إليه حتى الآن

أنظر له على جانب مكتبتي بشيء من الخجل والاشتياق والشعور بالذنب

عن الكتاب لن أحكي كثيراً، مجهود رفعت سلام الجبار _والذي يحرقني شوقاً لقراءة كتابه عن كفافيس_ وأسلوب رامبو وحياته المنعكسة عليه، قوة ، عنفوان، عذوبة، عربدة وتهكم وضياع.. والنهاية الحزينة للغاية.

سأعطي الكتاب حتى أكمل قراءته أو أقرأه في وقت آخر 4 نجمات من خمس.
Gene Wagendorf III
Sep 26, 2007 Gene Wagendorf III rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Poetry students
Shelves: poetry
The best collection of Rimbaud's work I've read. Presents several translations of his work and justifies/explains why and how the editor got to the one they chose. Also includes some really great excerpts from Rimbaud's school notebooks, poems and little blurbs, that you won't find anywhere else.
Oct 30, 2007 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the most elegant way I can say it is, good shit.
Amy (Other Amy)
All I can think about this is that Rimbaud's work must really sing in French. Because this ... this is not good. It is not remotely great. This is the ranting of a teenage boy who did not want to grow up, did not want to be responsible. He insults his mother, but he always runs home to her. It seems to me that his reputation mostly rests on his shocking biography and his letters. (Of course, I recognize that timing is everything in literature; when he wrote, much of this must have seemed new and ...more
Alexander
Jan 10, 2015 Alexander rated it it was amazing
Rimbaud is definitely what Zarathustra envisioned when proclaiming his love for "He who writes with blood". Breathtaking stuff. Rimbaud sublimates the intense angst of youth into staggeringly schizophrenic images—the fecund verdancy and surreal scenic-atmospheric aesthetic of Illuminations, the nightmarish hellfire of A Season In Hell, the waggish flirtations and puerile yearning for affection in A Heart Under a Cassock—, the product of an explosion of igneous introversion.

On the technical side
David M.
Oct 28, 2012 David M. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although I'm far than fluent in French, the translation of this volume of Rimbaud's poetry is quite suspicious. Again, to be fair, this is my first reading of the poet's works, apart from a reading of "The Drunken Boat" in a World Literature class, but right from the start the translator engages in a pretension of the worst kind. "This is my Rimbaud", he openly admits, and while such an admission is probably intended to elicit the reader's complicity, the purple prose of the translator grates as ...more
Alaa
من الصغب الكتابة عن أعمال كاملة ، على مدار 500ص أنت تقرأ حياةأدبية كاملة: متقلبة و متفرعة ، تنضج في وعيك حينا ،و تنتكس مرة أخرى (خاصة خلال قراءة شعر"مترجم" يمتد في مجاهل ثقافية لم تكن يومافي ذاكرتك).. لذا يبدو التعليق اختزاليا و غير مناسب .

يمكن الحديث عن تجربة قراءة الأعمال الكاملة ، هي تجربة ثانية بعد غسان كنفاني ، على قدر الانسجام الذي خلقه غسان في أعماله ، على قدر الارتباك الذي أحدثه رامبو .. أن تقرأ أعمالا كاملة يعني أن تكتشف عالما جديدا مكتملا؛ و هذا يبدو ثقيلا على الروح بشكل مقلق ..لأن كائ
Hex
Dec 18, 2011 Hex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Pesme - zavređuju svih pet zvezdica. U poređenju sa odraslim Bodlerom kojeg sam nedavno čitala, mladi Rembo piše sa lakoćom, raznovrsnošću, humorom, okom za detalje...

Skoro sve ostalo u ovom izdanju (Poslednji stihovi, Pustinje ljubavi, Jevanđelske proze, Boravak u paklu, Iluminacije, Zezački album, San, Dva pisma) je neki drugačiji Rembo, onaj koji polako odustaje od poezije, od potrage za *vidovitošću*, onaj koji razgovara sa samim sobom (tako je trebalo i da ostane).

Čitajući ono što su pisci
Jul 17, 2012 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I enjoyed this translation, though I like elements of the translation by Wyatt Mason better. If I find the time down the road, I would like to subject them to a more rigorous juxtaposition. I am particularly fond, as always, of "Un Saison en Enfer" and "Illuminations." I also found the letters more enjoyable this time around, particularly the earlier letters about his literary life. The later letters to his family were very sad, highlighting what he describes as a "miserable life." It helped me ...more
Matt
Feb 17, 2008 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Samantha
Dec 30, 2009 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd never read anything by Rimbaud (maybe a poem or two in high school? I can't recall...) until I sat down with the complete works, which I ended up reading cover to cover over the course of one weekend. Rimbaud's one of those people you just want to punch in the face, he's so good. Funny, insightful, eloquent, moving. And he was a freaking teenager! Blow me, Rimbaud, you talented bastard! I'm sure you would. You're quite the perv...
Drew Hoffman
Jun 17, 2013 Drew Hoffman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rimbaud's "The Complete Works" is a great accounting of the poet's metamorphosis from the captivating anarchic boy genius to the sad and ultimately defeated man. The poems included here are classics of the genre.
Jul 12, 2012 Ben rated it really liked it
Rimbaud is one of my favorite poets, though I am not entirely sure how this translation stacks up against others. The opening lines in "A Season in Hell" are melodious and enticing. Among the poems contained herein, some stand out more than others, but it is, overall, an excellent work.
Joseph
Jun 30, 2011 Joseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french
The influence of Bob Dylan, Patti Smith and many others. This I a keeper book and one that will be re-read many times over. Another great French writer that left this world way too soon.
Tim Weakley
Mar 15, 2010 Tim Weakley rated it liked it
Eye opening and challenging. I don't think that all of his work is to my taste but enough of it is to keep me reading the whole collection. The Drunken Boat stands out along with A season in Hell.
Tim Rensland
Sep 10, 2012 Tim Rensland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this many times and still flip through it today. Probably the best translation of Rimbaud's work.
Kate Buck
A fantastically accurate translation of Rimbaud's complete works. A must for any poetry fan.
  • Selected Poems
  • Collected Poems and Other Verse
  • Calligrammes: Poems of Peace and War (1913-1916)
  • Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Verlaine: Selected Verse and Prose Poems
  • Capital of Pain
  • The Selected Poems
  • Poems of Paul Celan
  • Rimbaud: The Double Life of a Rebel
French poet and adventurer, who stopped writing verse at the age of 21, and became after his early death an inextricable myth in French gay life. Rimbaud's poetry, partially written in free verse, is characterized by dramatic and imaginative vision. "I say that one must be a visionary - that one must make oneself a VISIONARY." His works are among the most original in the Symbolist movement. Rimbau ...more
More about Arthur Rimbaud...

“A thousand Dreams within me softly burn:
From time to time my heart is like some oak
Whose blood runs golden where a branch is torn.”
160 likes
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; Garlands from window to window; Golden chains from star to star ... And I dance.” 83 likes