Start by marking “Rimbaud Complete ” as Want to Read:
Rimbaud Complete

Rimbaud Complete

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  5,721 ratings  ·  139 reviews

Arthur Rimbaud is remembered as much for his volatile personality and tumultuous life as he is for his writings, most of which he produced before the age of eighteen. This book brings together his poetry, prose, and letters, including "The Drunken Boat," "The Orphans' New Year," "After the Flood," and "A Season in Hell," considered by many to be his. Complete Works is div

Paperback, Reprint Edition, 656 pages
Published February 24th 2003 by Modern Library Classics (first published 1870)

To ask other readers questions about Rimbaud Complete, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rimbaud Complete

Sebastienne Rimbaud
Mar 21, 2007 Sebastienne Rimbaud rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
Shelves: poetry
English-language poetry, excepting maybe the contributions of the Beats, has remained largely untouched by the Rimbaud phantasmagoria - interestingly enough, his enfant terrible personality made him more influential among protopunk musicians than poets. However, anyone who's ventured even slightly into the realm of European verse has fallen beneath the vast shadow of Rimbaud.

Considered the greatest of French poets by many, his verses were made even more remarkable by the dangerous philosophy of
ماهر Battuti
عشت سنوات كثيرة مع الشاعر المتمرد رامبو ، وقرأت أعماله كلها بالإنجليزية أولا ثم بالفرنسية ، وترحمت بعض قصائده ، ولكن هذا الكتاب للشاعر رفعت سلام قد أوفى بكل ما يريد القارئ العربى من احتواء لشعر رامبو .
الترجمة فى لغة جميلة رقراقة ، مع أمانة للنص الأصلى مما يجعل من الكتاب الذى وصلنى فى مهجرى حديثا ، المرجع الأخير بالعربية لهذا الشاعر الذى أصبح ايقونة هامة فى الشعر العالمى
selena
rimbaud is comfort reading for the soul. i fell into reading him on accident, i was talking about poetry with a friend and he happened to mention that this was his favourite poet. and he told me all about rimbaud’s past, the tryst he had with paul verlaine, the religious upbringing he had and the curious fact that rimbaud stopped writing at 21. that he dropped everything to become a merchant and to run away from it all. my interest was piqued; there isn’t any way that it couldn’t be.

what strikes
Haruka
He has cruelly, wildly, savagely, and oh, so beautifully
scratched, ripped off his own flesh,
his layers
Bloody, raw, completely blunt, pure,
everything and nothing
All is clear in the violent red
In the blood, in the teeth, in the aggression, in the claws
He has ripped away all his flesh
until he reaches his heart
As he writes
He is savagely ripping, biting, tearing
apart his very essence,
his beating heart
He is dying and living
Ripping and panting and breathing and biting
There is blood
So much blood
The
Melanie
I have very fond memories of finding Rimbaud. I was killing time in one of my favorite small bookstores before I was to meet friends and wound up in front of the poetry shelf on the second floor. His name sounded familiar to me from all my reading on Bob Dylan, and the wonderful movie "I'm Not There" where A.R. is played by Ben Whishaw ("R-I-M-B-A-U-D"), so I picked this volume off the shelf and started reading.

An hour later I was still on the floor of the bookstore, late to my appointment, and
Jerry Landry
Rimbaud is one of those literary figures that I find myself coming back to from time to time and always developing a new fascination and affection for.
Hadrian
Incredibly emotional and beautiful stuff.
Ben
the most elegant way I can say it is, good shit.
Alexander
Rimbaud is definitely what Zarathustra envisioned when proclaiming his love for "He who writes with blood". Breathtaking stuff. Rimbaud sublimates the intense angst of youth into staggeringly schizophrenic images—the fecund verdancy and surreal scenic-atmospheric aesthetic of Illuminations, the nightmarish hellfire of A Season In Hell, the waggish flirtations and puerile yearning for affection in A Heart Under a Cassock—, the product of an explosion of igneous introversion.

On the technical side
Alaa
من الصغب الكتابة عن أعمال كاملة ، على مدار 500ص أنت تقرأ حياةأدبية كاملة: متقلبة و متفرعة ، تنضج في وعيك حينا ،و تنتكس مرة أخرى (خاصة خلال قراءة شعر"مترجم" يمتد في مجاهل ثقافية لم تكن يومافي ذاكرتك).. لذا يبدو التعليق اختزاليا و غير مناسب .

يمكن الحديث عن تجربة قراءة الأعمال الكاملة ، هي تجربة ثانية بعد غسان كنفاني ، على قدر الانسجام الذي خلقه غسان في أعماله ، على قدر الارتباك الذي أحدثه رامبو .. أن تقرأ أعمالا كاملة يعني أن تكتشف عالما جديدا مكتملا؛ و هذا يبدو ثقيلا على الروح بشكل مقلق ..لأن كائ
David M.
Although I'm far than fluent in French, the translation of this volume of Rimbaud's poetry is quite suspicious. Again, to be fair, this is my first reading of the poet's works, apart from a reading of "The Drunken Boat" in a World Literature class, but right from the start the translator engages in a pretension of the worst kind. "This is my Rimbaud", he openly admits, and while such an admission is probably intended to elicit the reader's complicity, the purple prose of the translator grates as ...more
Neep
Poetry has always been kinda dull to me. Some poetry is pretty, but I've never really seen the point to it.

And then I discovered Rimbaud.

The thing about Rimbaud is that you can't read his poetry without knowing at least some of his backstory. His religious upbringing. His frequent rebellions and escapes. His affair with Paul Verlaine. And then, most amazing of all, the fact that he stopped writing poetry before he hit 21.

This collection is of everything that Rimbaud wrote, and he wrote it all at
Cara
Rimbaud's writing is very beautiful (of course) and very sad. However, Fowlie's translation is entirely unpoetic. His French is quite advanced but based on this translation, he has no sense of rhythm or gift for compression.

For example, Fowlie translates the line, "O Lune ou l'esprit de nos Soeurs mortes se plait" to the near-unintelligible "O Moon where the spirit of our dead Sisters like being." "Like being"? That barely makes sense, and it certainly doesn't come approach the delicate musical
Hex
Pesme - zavređuju svih pet zvezdica. U poređenju sa odraslim Bodlerom kojeg sam nedavno čitala, mladi Rembo piše sa lakoćom, raznovrsnošću, humorom, okom za detalje...

Skoro sve ostalo u ovom izdanju (Poslednji stihovi, Pustinje ljubavi, Jevanđelske proze, Boravak u paklu, Iluminacije, Zezački album, San, Dva pisma) je neki drugačiji Rembo, onaj koji polako odustaje od poezije, od potrage za *vidovitošću*, onaj koji razgovara sa samim sobom (tako je trebalo i da ostane).

Čitajući ono što su pisci
Joyce Hamya
I dearly wish Rimbaud had had a proper mentor, capable of reigning him in and teaching him to merge his style with actual substance. Because Rimbaud has style. It is bohemian, and free, and a joy to experience. Unfortunately, the immaturity of his years (most of his poetry being written between the age of 15-21) feeds gluttonously into not only his subject matter, but also the way he handled it. The subject matter is, for the most part, mediation upon freedom, what it is to be a poet, and the mo ...more
Ben
I enjoyed this translation, though I like elements of the translation by Wyatt Mason better. If I find the time down the road, I would like to subject them to a more rigorous juxtaposition. I am particularly fond, as always, of "Un Saison en Enfer" and "Illuminations." I also found the letters more enjoyable this time around, particularly the earlier letters about his literary life. The later letters to his family were very sad, highlighting what he describes as a "miserable life." It helped me ...more
matt
Fatma Mohamed Tawfik
قرأت الكتاب في أقل من شهر _من نهاية مارس وحتى نهاية أبريل 2013_ ولم يبق فيه سوى 100 صفحة ثم انقطعت عنه ولم أستطع العودة إليه حتى الآن

أنظر له على جانب مكتبتي بشيء من الخجل والاشتياق والشعور بالذنب

عن الكتاب لن أحكي كثيراً، مجهود رفعت سلام الجبار _والذي يحرقني شوقاً لقراءة كتابه عن كفافيس_ وأسلوب رامبو وحياته المنعكسة عليه، قوة ، عنفوان، عذوبة، عربدة وتهكم وضياع.. والنهاية الحزينة للغاية.

سأعطي الكتاب حتى أكمل قراءته أو أقرأه في وقت آخر 4 نجمات من خمس.
Samantha
I'd never read anything by Rimbaud (maybe a poem or two in high school? I can't recall...) until I sat down with the complete works, which I ended up reading cover to cover over the course of one weekend. Rimbaud's one of those people you just want to punch in the face, he's so good. Funny, insightful, eloquent, moving. And he was a freaking teenager! Blow me, Rimbaud, you talented bastard! I'm sure you would. You're quite the perv...
Gene Wagendorf III
Sep 26, 2007 Gene Wagendorf III rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Poetry students
Shelves: poetry
The best collection of Rimbaud's work I've read. Presents several translations of his work and justifies/explains why and how the editor got to the one they chose. Also includes some really great excerpts from Rimbaud's school notebooks, poems and little blurbs, that you won't find anywhere else.
Ben
Rimbaud is one of my favorite poets, though I am not entirely sure how this translation stacks up against others. The opening lines in "A Season in Hell" are melodious and enticing. Among the poems contained herein, some stand out more than others, but it is, overall, an excellent work.
A.Z.
Eternity can be found again in the remarkable translation by Wallace Fowlie.
Drew Hoffman
Rimbaud's "The Complete Works" is a great accounting of the poet's metamorphosis from the captivating anarchic boy genius to the sad and ultimately defeated man. The poems included here are classics of the genre.
Tim Weakley
Eye opening and challenging. I don't think that all of his work is to my taste but enough of it is to keep me reading the whole collection. The Drunken Boat stands out along with A season in Hell.
JJ
In terms of the volume itself, Paul Schmidt appears to have done a faultless job of putting it together. His introduction was a fantastic piece of writing and really reveals his passion for the text. He also includes biographical notes at the start of each section, as well as extracts from A Season in Hell. The poems are presented chronologically and these notes really help to get at some of the nuances of the writing that follows them. As a source for understanding Rimbaud's inspiration and lif ...more
Emily
This book is ordered roughly chronologically, organized in "Seasons" to sort of tell the story of Rimbaud's young life. Each "season" begins with biographical notes about Rimbaud's life, followed by the work from that time, and then the remaining letters to and from Rimbaud from that time period as well. Reading Rimbaud in this way has been very interesting as the progression, formulation and focus of his work shifts and adapts accordingly.

Child-poet, Rimbaud stopped writing altogether at aroun
Jeffrey
At this I looked up. He was wearing a pedantic grin and nodding his head as if he had just proven an irrefutable claim. His hair was the color of harvest hay which contrasted sadly with his apple-blossom complexion, setting to life the Bacchic impression of knowledge coupled with youth.

“It’s true,” he continued, “and what’s more their visions and stale, acrostic styles have left my heart cystic as a bloated gin blossom, a dense and troubling nausea which sinks below the belly of a black, spasmod
Tina
From before thoughts to after thoughts..... below...

So I got this to pop up on recommendations from the all knowing goodreads :) thanks to loving Charles Baudelaire (who I love, love, LOVE). Therefore, if it is anything like his mad inspiring prose I know I shall be a fan. I am excited to sit down later and dive in. :)
a little later..
It was free it was for me...and then reality hit. I downloaded the FREE ebook off goodreads to find it to be a non-english translation. Highly irritated and disapp
Shari
You have to take your time reading Rimbaud, and remember that his creative writing happened between the ages of 15 and 21. This bilingual "complete works" edition (which does not include his Latin poetry) is translated by Wallace Fowlie and updated by Seth Whidden. The translation clings closely to the original language and that is a definite plus. The "selected letters" portion of this volume leaves great holes, I believe, in the time flow during the later period of his short life and, from the ...more
  • Selected Poems
  • Collected Poems and Other Verse
  • Calligrammes: Poems of Peace and War (1913-1916)
  • Baudelaire Rimbaud Verlaine: Selected Verse and Prose Poems
  • Artaud Anthology
  • Collected Poems
  • The Collected Poems, 1957-1987
  • Selected Writings
French poet and adventurer, who stopped writing verse at the age of 21, and became after his early death an inextricable myth in French gay life. Rimbaud's poetry, partially written in free verse, is characterized by dramatic and imaginative vision. "I say that one must be a visionary - that one must make oneself a VISIONARY." His works are among the most original in the Symbolist movement. Rimbau ...more
More about Arthur Rimbaud...
A Season in Hell/The Drunken Boat Illuminations A Season in Hell/Illuminations Rimbaud: Poems (Pocket Poets) A Season in Hell

“A thousand Dreams within me softly burn:
From time to time my heart is like some oak
Whose blood runs golden where a branch is torn.”
74 likes
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; Garlands from window to window; Golden chains from star to star ... And I dance.” 62 likes