Start by marking “Without a Trace (Rock Harbor Series #1)” as Want to Read:
Without a Trace (Rock Harbor Series #1)

Without a Trace (Rock Harbor #1)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  4,773 Ratings  ·  343 Reviews

A plane crash claimed the lives of her husband and son, but Bree Nichols and Samson, her search and rescue dog, won't rest until they've recovered the lost bodies-or combed every inch of the wilderness trying.

Meanwhile, the quiet town of Rock Harbor is disturbed by a violent crime. Bree soon discovers a personal stake in the solving of the murder, and in the course of her

Published May 30th 2006 by WestBow Press (first published 2003)

Karol
Jul 26, 2008 Karol rated it really liked it
There were numerous facets of this book that made it great to read - characters with longings and friendships that I could relate to, losses to overcome, and a mystery to solve. Plus, the analogy of the great "Hound of Heaven" really spoke to my heart. The author made that analogy come alive for me in a way it never had before. Oh - and then there's the whole "mom" thing, about how deep and strong that bond is. Plus, I enjoyed the setting in Michigan's U.P.

The only difficulty I had with the book
Andrea Cox
Oct 21, 2016 Andrea Cox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenges-2016
by Andrea Renee Cox

Without a Trace is a good mystery that featured search-and-rescue dogs, which is a neat thing I haven't seen much in fiction. I was disappointed that there was heavy emphasis on affairs, which is why I can't give this book five stars. A solid mystery with interesting characters. No expletives that I noticed, which was nice. I had noticed one in a previous Colleen Coble book, so I was hesitant about reading this one, but I'm glad it was chosen for me by a friend on Goodreads. I
Justin Domnitz
Dec 15, 2014 Justin Domnitz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Do you like reading about women who run away to the bathroom to cry over something silly? Do you like being introduced to a dizzying array of characters with no development that are impossible to keep track of? How about gender-bending names or dog names that could be people's names just to make it more complicated? You must love an interesting intro only to have to wade through chapters and chapters of nothing happening for any sort of follow up. Then, this is the book for you! The book has str ...more
Melissa
Jan 12, 2015 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
I really wanted to like this book. The characters were underdeveloped and God kept getting randomly dropped into the story. I kept picturing am episode of Scooby Doo with the stereotypical small town and characters that start bad and turn good and vice versa. At times there was a little suspense which is the only reason I didn't put it down before finishing.
Valerie
Jan 09, 2010 Valerie rated it it was ok
I kept checking to make sure this really wasn't the second book in the series. The description leads one to believe that the plane crash occurs in this book. How am I, the reader, supposed to relate to Bree when I know nothing of her relationship with her son and husband? There was no character development, and the plot was so obviously predictible. Bree's overly calm encounter with Rachel at the end of the book would never have happened in real life. This is the first one of Colleen Coble's boo ...more
Michelle
Dec 27, 2014 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story was interesting, but I found it fairly predictable. This was Christian fiction, which was not identified anywhere in the description that I bought it from; it was represented as a mystery. While this did not necessarily bother me, it came off as a little preachy. The main character's sudden transformation from a non-believer to a believer was a little over the top and unbelievable.
Joanie Bruce
Yesterday, I reviewed the book, “The Butterfly Palace” by Colleen Coble. I gave it only three stars, mostly because of personal preference. However, since that time, I’ve read another book by the same author, “Without a Trace,” which is the first book of the Rock Harbor Series. Honestly, I have to tell you that I LOVED this book by Ms. Coble.

What I liked: A Question is raised at the beginning of the book: whether Bree Nichols will find the place where the plane containing her husband and son ha
Ronda  Tutt
Jun 09, 2009 Ronda Tutt rated it really liked it
Wow, what a great christian story that keeps your wondering through out the whole book. It was a great mystery finding out what happened to Bree's husband and her son. The book kept your interest by giving you ideas of several options of what could of happened to her family with all the twist and turns - starting out with knowing that her husband and son were in a plane crash but didn't know where the crash site was. With the help of her search and resue dog "Sam" and the help of her family and ...more
Rebecca
Aug 29, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up Colleen Coble's book A Cry in the Night and was so drawn into the storyline I had to go looking for the rest of the series. Without a Trace is the beginning of this multi book series and it is quite a story. The main character Bri is struggling through life after loosing both her husband and young son in a plane crash in which the wreckage and remains are still unrecovered. Bri continues to make a life for herself in the small community of Rock Harbor using her search and rescue skil ...more
Kathryn
May 14, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Katie
Nov 19, 2009 Katie rated it liked it
I read this book along with my book club - it was a decent book. Though the plot was interesting, there was a lot of stilted conversation and unnatural development of relationships between characters. I was wondering if this was one of the firs series that Colleen Coble wrote, because on other books I've read by her, the plot and character development seems a little better. All in all, it was an entertaining read and I am planning on reading the other two books in the series now that I've read t ...more
Ryan
Sep 22, 2009 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I happened across this book by fluke at a local book store that was clearing a bunch of paperback novels out. I enjoy novels set in more remote locations like this one is, set in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan which is what drew me into this book.
Although I don't consider myself religious is anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I've currently read two of the Rock Harbor Mysteries.
Susan
May 26, 2013 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Way too predictable. Coming off an amazing book by Tana French so maybe I'm being too hard on Coble. The sophistication of the plot, character dev and writing is just too simple. Lots of great reviews for this book but doesn't seem worth the time. Probably a good series for early teen girls?
NancyInWI
Jun 13, 2011 NancyInWI rated it liked it
A good mystery that kept my interest yet the characters weren't developed enough for me to remember who was who and who was related to whom. And there were some elements of the story that were a bit unbelievable, thus only 3 stars. Not interested enough to read the rest in the series.
Liora
Aug 09, 2011 Liora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, christmas
Bree Nichols and her German Shepherd mix dog, Samson, are a Search and Rescue (SAR) team in Rock Harbor, a small town on Lake Superior in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. She has been looking for the small plane that went down with her husband and four year old son for a year. She knows that she needs to let go of the search, accept their deaths, and get on with living, but a part of her just can't stop searching for the missing plane. Then a woman who tells Bree that she saw an airplane seat ne ...more
Teresa TL Bruce
Feb 18, 2010 Teresa TL Bruce rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYone
Bree Nichols and her German Shepherd mix Sampson are part of a K-9 search and rescue team in the rugged wilderness of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Her best friend Naomi, and Naomi's dog Charlie, join her as they track and find hunters and lost children. But there is MUCH more to this story.

For the last year Bree has also searched for the missing plane that went down with her husband and four year old son. As she wrestles with her own and her in-laws' desire for closure, she finds it harder to let
Mrs. Doglvrs
Mar 04, 2011 Mrs. Doglvrs rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
It's official -- I love everything Colleen Coble writes!
This great thriller, an amazing start to a 4 book series, takes place in the wonderful wilderness that is Michigan's upper peninsula.

Bree & Naomi along with their dogs Samson and Charley are the town of Rock Harbor's personal Search & Rescue team.
The story starts out with them finding 2 lost children, who have been helped by a "witch in the woods" and her son.

As it turns out, Bree's husband and young son have been lost in the same
Shelley
Dec 02, 2016 Shelley rated it liked it
Search and Rescue in Northern Michigan... right up my alley.... what's not to like?

Actually, as the book progressed the religion/Christianity stuff got a bit pushy for me. I have my beliefs, don't really enjoy bible study in my fiction reading.

Unfortunately, this is a series I looked forward to reading, but I began the second book and will not finish it because the religious theme is strong right from the start.
Donna
Aug 21, 2010 Donna rated it really liked it
I really loved this book. It kept me turning the pages waiting for the climactic end. I kept thinking "she's going to find him..."

Great read! I loved the characters, and loved the interaction between then. The story of how Bree searches for her son was touching and I cried at the end.

You'll love it! Can't wait to read the next one.
Stephanie
Jul 10, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
This is the first book of the Rock Harbor series. What I liked most about this book is that it ties in both mystery and faith. Throughout the series you see how Bree's faith develops. The book also contains moments of sadness, grief, happiness, and suspense. I got pulled into the book & characters and never wanted to put the book down. This is what led me to read the rest of this series.
Jessica
Dec 31, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
This has to be the best book I've ever read!! I fell in love with the characters, and enjoyed the intrigue of a good mystery, as well as the heartwarming tales of family and friends woven throughout. I am immediately starting book two in the series...so happy that my relationship with these characters doesn't end with this book!
Donna
Mar 03, 2010 Donna rated it it was amazing
I have a new favorite author! Enjoyed this book of a missing father and son (plane crash) and the wife/mom looking for them. Loved the ending! Looking forward to reading her next book in this series!
Hope
This was a pretty decent mystery. I enjoyed the search dog angle of the story and appreciated the author's effort to apply this to "The Hound of Heaven" poem. But somehow the Christian parts of this novel felt forced and flat. The romance was clunky as well.
Krista Bowers-ballington
This was an enjoyable book. Really...it was good. It was simplistic compared to some I have most recently read, so if you want a really easy read....this is a good book for you to grab.
Connie
Jul 10, 2014 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Getting hooked on Colleen Coble. Recommend!
Diane
Sep 29, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book kept me guessing right up to the end. Colleen had me on the edge throughout the book, she has a way of drawing you in and making you feel as if you were right there in the story.
Jill
Fun suspense story, light reading. Rachel Marks was an intriguing character.
Elizabeth
Once again I found a new series to start reading,once I started it I couldn't stop reading it,
Sharol
Jul 14, 2016 Sharol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very easy read. Not too deep but a feel good book if you want something quick for a plane ride
Heather Zuber-Harshman
The book started off a bit simple. The use of language, interaction between the characters, the story line, it all felt elementary, like it was a first novel for Ms. Coble. Then suddenly it picked up speed and became engaging and more complex. I felt more connected to the characters and became vested in pursuing their story.

Then came the ending. Things were tied up nicely, a little too nicely. Everyone (except the bad guy) was happy, the problems were solved, and new bonds were created. So it l
Christian Book Gi...: Without a Trace by Coleen Coble 6 13 Nov 28, 2014 07:42AM
  • Brink of Death (Hidden Faces #1)
  • Breaker's Reef (Cape Refuge, #4)
  • When a Heart Stops (Deadly Reunions, #2)
  • Life Support (Santee, #1)
USAToday bestselling author Colleen Coble lives with her husband, Dave, in Indiana. She is the author of dozens of novels including the Rock Harbor Series, the Aloha Reef Series, the Mercy Falls Series, the Hope Beach Series, the Lonestar Series and two Women of Faith fiction selections, Alaska Twilight and Midnight Sea. She has more than 2 million books in print.
More about Colleen Coble...

Rock Harbor (6 books)
  • Beyond a Doubt (Rock Harbor Series #2)
  • Into the Deep (Rock Harbor Series #3)
  • Abomination (Rock Harbor Series #4)
  • Cry in the Night (Rock Harbor Series #5)
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)

“Men were as plentiful as salmon, but a best friend was a freshwater pearl.” 1 likes
“I fled Him, down the nights and down the days; I fled Him, down the arches of the years; I fled Him, down the labyrinthine ways Of my own mind; and in the mist of tears. —“The Hound of Heaven” (FRANCIS THOMPSON, 1859–1907)” 0 likes