Start by marking “Here Comes the Bride” as Want to Read:
Here Comes the Bride

Here Comes the Bride (Cate Padgett #2)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  364 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Cate Padgett was the bridesmaid, four times over, in Always the Bridesmaid. Now she’s finally the blushing bride—for better, for worse… Cate couldn’t wait for her own wedding so she could do it right, after all she’d learned from the mistakes her friends made before her. And Ethan was the perfect husband-to-be. If only something, anything, else was perfect…

First her engage
Published June 27th 2006 by Berkley Trade

To ask other readers questions about Here Comes the Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here Comes the Bride

Anne
This is a light read that I hope will be amusing as my own wedding gets closer. I think enjoyed this book mostly because I'm getting married. It was unrealistic that they could just move into a house that easily on their low salaries. I also find it hard to believe that she would spend $100 on each bridesmaid for a gift. I make a teacher's salary and don't plan spend that much on mine. Also who gives there parents wedding gifts? Is this a new trend? It was also unrealistic that they could afford ...more
Anel
Here comes the Bride is a really cute book that tells a story about a girl named Cate who is getting married to her best friend, Ethan. In the preparation for their marriage Cate comes along with many obstacles. First, is her engagement ring. Ethan had put the engagement ring on Cate’s cat, but the ring fell off the cat and then they couldn’t find it. Second, Ethan’s ex-girlfriend keeps showing up and won’t leave Ethan alone. Also Cate’s mother is always arguing with her for many things she want ...more
Kourtney
Lindsay
I enjoyed the first two books buy this author, her writing is simple and relatively realistic, and after having a dream where I was at my friend's wedding, I kind of wanted to read a wedding book, and in this one, Cate who is the main character of Always The Bridesmaid gets to finally be the bride. My beef with this is that it doesn't really go into much detail so I find of felt like I didn't really get to know the characters. Cate's life seemed a little bit to good. Great boyfriend who wants to ...more
Brianna
This book was just not for me. I thought it'd be a fun fluff book for the summer, particularly as my own wedding is two months away, but I picked the wrong book. As a practicing Catholic, this book actually managed to offend me. As a broke grad student planning a budget wedding, I was not feeling sorry for Cate the "poor" kindergarten teacher who has a huge wedding, wears designer clothes in San Diego, and scoffed at the plain cafeteria food at their engagement encounter. The situation with Jane ...more
Ayushi
A good read, kept me sticking to till the end which was quite obvious though !! Well described about the pre-wedding anxiety and phases which had to gone through ! #ThumbsUp !! :))
Debi
This is the sequel to Always the Bridesmaid. Finally Cate, forever a bridesmaid, gets to be the bride as she prepares to marry her best friend Ethan. But problems keep occuring - disagreements with her mom, a meddling cousin and an ex-girlfriend that keeps showing up. Will Cate and Ethan be able to surmount the obstacles and make it down the aisle?
This was a cute chick-lit book. Nothing spectacular but funny and easy-to-read. I found myself furious with some of the characters and the gall that t
Bree
It was the quickest I have read a book recently. It probably is because of the relevance to my life right now that made it interesting. A couple of years ago I probably wouldn't have picked it up since I have been leaning away from chick-lit as of late. It was a nice summer time read if you haven't picked it up yet. Lyles did a great job making characters that I did not hate. Cate was not a whiny damsel in distress type character you frequently read in this genre.
Stephanie Weiner
Good read!
Heather
I really enjoyed this book. I think any single, engaged, married, or divorced women would love this light read. Although, I have never been married, I found this book easy to relate to. The main character is easy to love as she puts up with a cray ex-girlfriend, over protected family members of the groom, and spoiled bridesmaids. I find myself reflecting on weddings I have been in and hope that I never caused my friends any difficulties as this bride encountered.
Mandy Reynolds
Aug 23, 2007 Mandy Reynolds rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a quick "beach read"
This book is a quick read... entertaining, but a bit frustrating to follow at times. The content is amusing and I definitely had a few "laugh out loud" moments, but the storyline tends to jump a round a bit. I read this with my sis, so we got to laugh together while reading it. However, there are a couple of characters in the story that made me wish I had the ability to reach into the book and bitch-slap someone! :)
Michelle
first book is sooo much better. this book bugged me! i was getting so annoyed with ethan (the supposed best friend fiance). my finance is my best friend and he would not treat me the way ethan treated cate. there are times when i just wanted her to tell him off cause he was so mean to her. i hated how he finally realized how his ex was after him only after she tried to make a move on him.
Michelle
This book was the 2nd in a series with the same lead character. I love that is was a quick, lighthearted read. It has some funny moments to it as well but some of the plot was a little goofy. I would recommend any of Whitney Lyles books for when you are in the mood for something fluffy and fun.
Caroline
I did not read Always A Bridesmaid, however I am finding this book to be very good. It is an easy, fast read! Very enjoyable so far.

Just finished the novel. It was very enjoyable. I am looking forward to the sequel. It was an easy read. There were some typo's, which I found bothersome.
Karen
May 18, 2009 Karen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Karen by: Kristen
I liked this book better than the first of the series...it was more focused and I thought there was better character development. Another quick read; I'm looking forward to the last book in the series to see if each book gets better and better!
Erica
This book was surprisingly good compared to other young female writers who write about getting weddings. A believably good couple and a well-written non-Bridezilla made this a worthwhile read. Finally, someone writing brides-to-be in a good light!
Dinjolina
Thank you , thank you, thank you Lord for a hero that does not succumb to a sex starved ex girlfriend! I was so tired of books about cheating that this little romantic one about a couple that just could not get a brake was super.
Dawn rizzi
This book was very good. Light read just what i was looking for and I am a sucker for Series. Off to start the next one.
Thanks Melissa u made me go home last night and finish it. I have been in a reading slump again.
Cassandra Javier
The sequel to "Always the Bridesmaid", it's a story that deals with the realities of getting married, and all those preparations. Lovely, romantic book. And I'm a sucker for weddings so, you know...
Cheryl
Whitney Lyles reminds me of Sophie Kinsella. Her writing is fun and also intriguing. I couldn't put it down! I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will be reading the next in the series!
Beth
I love Whitney Lyles and her character, Cate Padgett. So many laugh-out-loud moments as she takes you through Cate's life. Fun, easy, "chick lit". Can't wait to read the next one!
Kristin
+The book was adorable & really funny!
+I could relate to some of the characters
-The spelling errors in the book drove me crazy. Whitney Lyles needs a new proof reader!
Elin
Okay... Total chick lit. it had no literary merit whatsoever, and it was entirely predictable. But yet highly enjoyable somehow. Perfect for a beach or a plane
Colleen
Follow up to Bridesmaid book. Now it's Cate's turn to play the bridezilla. Has it's funny moments as well, but is also very sweet.
Betsy
Lame. Amateurish writing, very poor editing, trite story. The only question: Why did I keep reading it? God knows.
Briklin
Jun 30, 2011 Briklin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people looking for some easy reading fluff
It was a pretty easy read. I wish it would have went in depth more as far as character background.
Lisa
Oct 10, 2008 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes chick lit
I thought this was very true to planning a wedding and dealing with friends and relatives.
Erin
Same character as Always a Bridesmaid, but the book is not as good as the first one.
Anna
Lots of references to living in San Diego, which I loved! Pacific Beach, Poway etc.
Just your typical story about a bride and groom and their quest to the altar.
  • Do They Wear High Heels In Heaven?
  • Call Waiting
  • Dixieland Sushi
  • The Pink Ghetto
  • The Billionaire's Scandalous Marriage (Harlequin Presents, #2627)
  • Not Quite A Bride
  • Ethan's Temptress Bride
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
  • Post Grad
  • Swimming Upstream, Slowly
  • The Italian's Wedding Ultimatum (Modern Romance S.)
  • Un-Bridaled
  • Suburbanistas
  • The Pregnant Mistress (The Barons, #7)
  • Fifteen Minutes of Shame
  • Love is a Four-Legged Word
  • Purchased: His Perfect Wife (Wedlocked!)
  • Man From Half Moon Bay
Whitney Lyles was twenty-six when she landed her first book deal for Always the Bridesmaid.

She’s now the proud author of a novella and five novels, including her latest romantic comedy for teens -- Party Games. She lives in San Diego with her husband and daughter. She is currently working on her next book.
More about Whitney Lyles...
Love Off-Limits Always the Bridesmaid Party Games (Simon Romantic Comedies) First Comes Love Roommates