The Fourth Way

The Fourth Way

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  449 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The Fourth Way is the most comprehensive statement thus far published of the ideas taught by the late P.D. Ouspensky. Consisting of verbatim records of his oral teaching from 1921 to 1946, it gives a lucid explanation of the practical side of G. I. Gurdjieff's teachings, which Gurdjieff presented in the form of raw materials, Ouspensky's specific task having been to put th...more
Published February 12th 1971 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about The Fourth Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fourth Way

Peter Pan by J.M. BarrieThe Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix PotterThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAmadeus by Peter ShafferThe Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
For Pete's Sake ...
204th out of 315 books — 36 voters
The Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoA New Earth by Eckhart TolleGazing Into the Eternal by BelsebuubOm Chanting and Meditation by Amit RayThe Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
Best Spiritual Books
439th out of 493 books — 469 voters

More lists with this book...

Scot Quaranda
This book took me six months to crawl through and though painful at times was worth the effort. It mirrored in many ways my own journey in terms of timing and though I could not pretend to have initiated the level of effort the Ouspensky says that we need to wake up from our slumber, from time to time I catch glimpses and that reminder alone was worth the read. I would not recommend this book for anyone that is not naturally drawn toward it and would say if you are interested in the ideas of G.I...more
James Beezhold
I read this while living on the street years ago.What I learned was that there is no "I" but many "I"s sort of competing for supremacy,that there is such a thing as spiritual mechanics.Not that man is machine,but rather the machine is a functional expression of man's spiritual aim and as such remains an indwelling of human potential.
W.B.
Dec 28, 2007 W.B. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystics
This is nuts, yeah. It's total mysticism masquerading as mathemtaics and philosophy. But it's fun. More poetry than a dozen poetry volumes will contain.
Flowquietly
Interestingly exposed many facets of my personality and life that was until then hidden, What a slave I used to be to my false personality!!!
Steve
Classic Ouspensky, also try and read Gurdjieff if you can, it will blow your mind!
Russen Guggemos
I only just started this book, and I'm already blown away.
Andreea Daia
I don't think one can review this book. My suggestion is to read its first chapter: if one is "ready" for it, it will blow her/his mind. (There is one particular idea that is shocking and scary in its truthfulness, but everyone has to discover this for herself/himself.) If not stupefied, one might still find the ideas interesting enough and decide to continue.

In a few words, the first 3/4 of the collection of lectures is a psychology treaty of a very peculiar and non-traditional kind centered a...more
William
I understand that this book is out of fashion. That's a shame, but then Ouspensky said that the Fourth Way will never be popular because it demands effort. This book is of his lectures, with questions and answers.

Ouspensky, the teacher, was not very interested in inspiring his students with the mysteries of the higher worlds. But he was interested in outlining the practices and principles that give us the possibility of changing our 'being.' He doesn't entice; he says: this is what you need to...more
Zachary Yeung
well-intentioned gobbledygook that overwhelms the silence of wisdom
Lysergius
P.D. Ouspensky was a disciple of the Russian mystic Gurdjieff, and attempted to explain his system for human development. It is never quite clear what the goal is or how to get there. Quite the thing once upon a time. Nowadays seems as dated as Madame Blavatsky and all things vaguely spiritualistic... Worth a read though.
Erica
Dec 06, 2007 Erica rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fire
Shouldn't simplifying your life take up less than 300 or so pages? Why is it necessary to form your own groups and charge individuals money to sit around and listen to your philosophy, not to mention that someone actually takes charge over these groups formed under this philosophy? Gee....this sounds very familiar....
Jan prussia
One of the hardest but most rewarding,mind food I have had the honor to read. A friend turned me on to this book and I will be forever thankful to him for it. It has helped me in so many ways. I am aware of myself in the grand scheme of this wonderfully chaotic universe. --Awake!
Gregory
Tricky reading, but this book really helped me to learn how to concentrate again. Not sure how many times I have read this, at least three, Perhaps four. Sounds funny it is, never thought i'd read a book four times or more. I have lost track the times now actually.
Colleen
I am enjoying this book, but it is a lot of work. The premise of the book, is that humans are much like machines and that much of what we do, is done out of habit and unconsiously. Lots to think about and process!
John Brooke
I read this work many years ago, and now I would like to read it again. In light of a book I'm currently reading, The Denial of Death, in which the philosphy preached in The Forth Way is repudiated.
Eric
The general message of this Fourth Way is to not pass your life in a state of waking sleep. A good way to learn what Gurdjieff was all about.
Kalina
Nov 02, 2008 Kalina is currently reading it
awakening- not sleeping... I'm done with zombie slumber...This book is a guide for me right now, I am taking my time with it.
Norka1010
Very insightful. It's been interesting reading this book. I open it to random pages and "work" from there.
Mark Becker
When one realizes that he is asleep, he has started to awake, I love this stuff.
Marcia
Good, but tough reading if you really want to understand it!
Andrew Weiler
Some great perspectives on the inner workings of humans
abhay singh
heavy ... heavy...
Nadia
Nadia marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Karan
Karan marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Jeff
Jeff is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2014
  • Life is Real Only Then, When 'I Am'
  • The Crack in the Cosmic Egg: New Constructs of Mind and Reality
  • A Dictionary of Symbols (Occult)
  • Hermetica: The Greek Corpus Hermeticum and the Latin Asclepius in a New English Translation, with Notes and Introduction
  • The Morning of the Magicians
  • The First and Last Freedom
  • Pictorial Key to the Tarot
  • Psychotherapy East and West
  • Theosophy : An Introduction to the Spiritual Processes in Human Life and in the Cosmos
  • The Spectrum of Consciousness
  • The Rig Veda
  • The Only Dance There Is
  • Pronoia is the Antidote for Paranoia: How the Whole World is Conspiring to Shower You With Blessings
  • Psychology and Alchemy (Collected Works 12)
  • A Buddhist Bible
  • The Stargate Conspiracy
  • The Secret Teachings of All Ages
  • Cosmic Trigger 2: Down to Earth
In Search of the Miraculous: Fragments of an Unknown Teaching The Psychology of Man's Possible Evolution Strange Life of Ivan Osokin Tertium Organum A New Model of the Universe

“Desire is when you do what you want, will is when you can do what you do not want.” 5 likes
“Attaining consciousness is connected with the gradual liberation from mechanicalness, for man is fully and completely under mechanical laws.” 4 likes