Start by marking “Charity & Its Fruits” as Want to Read:
Charity & Its Fruits

Charity & Its Fruits

4.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  250 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Sermons on 1 Corinthians 13 which give a rich insight into Edwards' regular pulpit ministry. The concluding chapter is on heaven as a world of love.
Published November 1st 1988 by Banner of Truth

To ask other readers questions about Charity & Its Fruits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charity & Its Fruits

Kyle Strobel
Oct 27, 2011 Kyle Strobel rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Admittedly, I edited this book, but as an editor (compared to being an author), I can brag about it. This book is the first time, in a single volume, that Jonathan Edwards original manuscripts of his famous work Charity and Its Fruits appears for the public. Every other edition is a highly edited version. Because Edwards can be difficult to read, I have added an introduction, outlining the work and giving some general material to help orient you to Edwards as a person and thinker, and then I've ...more
Alexis Neal
Sep 09, 2011 Alexis Neal rated it really liked it
Shelves: 100-books, religion
An excellent (and thorough) analysis of I Corinthians 13. This was my first exposure to Edwards, and he did not disappoint. Edwards thinks deeply and critically about each aspect of the well-known discourse on love, and his insights are, for the most part, extremely helpful and well-supported. This passage is read so often that it is easy--for me, anyway--to gloss over it or place it in the mental category of "yeah, yeah, patient, kind, I know the drill . . . next!" Edwards slows the reader down ...more
Andrea
Sep 07, 2013 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
Many people hold stereotyped views of Edwards and his contemporaries, probably based on small uncontextualized snippets they may have read or heard in an American literature or history class. Charity and Its Fruits reveals Edwards' ideas as relevant for the modern Christian and possibly even a corrective for the kind of proud and uncharitable approach taken by some in the Christian right who would claim to be his admirers. A couple of quotes illustrate what I mean.
"Treating others with scorn and
JJ
Oct 25, 2014 JJ added it
Brilliant. Moving. Concrete. Instructive. Earthy. Edwards isn't just insightful, he's actually *helpful*. I was convicted by what I read and many of my blindspots as it relates to my lack of love were exposed. These sermons will bring sanity and self-awareness—readers beware!
Trisha
Mar 14, 2013 Trisha rated it it was amazing
Convicting. Challenging. A must-read. Showed me how little I know about loving as Christ loves. The last chapters in which Edwards explores heaven and hell are moving in the deepest of ways.
Benjamin
Aug 30, 2012 Benjamin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually read a free version of this book on monergism.com without the notes. I've read essays by Edwards before and loved them. This is the first book of his I've read (though it's really a collection of sermons on I Cor. 13) The exposition of the chapter up through v.6 is brilliant and would've gotten 5 stars if judged on it's own. For the final section, Edwards makes an hermeneutical case that these final attributes of love are no longer referring to the direct relation of love to another p ...more
Jacob
Jan 09, 2016 Jacob rated it it was amazing
A biblical exposition of I Corinthians 13. Strong stuff. Beats you down, chews you up, spits you out, all in the best way possible. The final chapter "Heaven a World of Charity" is solid, glorious gold. This book is worth reading again and again.
Andrew Strenn
Oct 14, 2014 Andrew Strenn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-books
This is a short, but very good book. I also found it to be very readable. JE shows how pride and selfisness are the opposite of love. He then goes on to show that the fruits of pride and selfishness also not consistent with a profession of christian faith.
BJ
May 14, 2013 BJ rated it it was amazing
Typical Edwards: beautiful and brilliant, convicting and creative, stretching the mind and molding the heart to the glory of God.
Mathew
Aug 12, 2012 Mathew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New Edition. Same Old Gospel.

I was broken, built up, and challenged by Charity and Its Fruits. Seriously a book that all evangelicals and reformed Christians should read. Jonathan Edwards’s exegesis and application on the doctrine of God’s love is deep and wide. Before I get much further looking into the review a word about the edition. Charity and Its Fruits stands on its own but Kyle Strobel enhanced the experience. Before throwing you into the deep end Strobel provides a life jacket. He overv
Debi Costine
Jul 06, 2016 Debi Costine rated it it was amazing
An excellent introduction to the writings of Jonathan Edwards & definitely worth the effort for any believer with a desire to grow spiritually. Though not a quick-read, it's a meditation upon a familiar text from God's Word. It's a collection of Edwards' sermons based upon 1 Corinthians 13. You think he couldn't possibly go any deeper into understanding who God is ... and then he does! One Edward's book/year applied to the heart will change you forever.
Mark Trigsted
Jun 24, 2016 Mark Trigsted rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I taught Charity And Its Fruits as part of a 10 week Sunday School series in the Winter of 2015/16 at Redeemer Presbyterian Church. Although I had taught this before - I had never never read or used Strobels version of Charity. All I can say is... It is fantastic. It begins where the Yale critical edition ends. THe Yale edition is exactly that, a critical edition of the text with the scholarly precision of all of the Yale volumes.

Strobel's edition in modern English is a delight to go read and f
Coyle
Sep 10, 2011 Coyle rated it it was amazing
An excellent study of I Corinthians 13:1-10. Edwards can be a dense writer, and his philosophical and theological works can be sometimes more trouble than they're worth. His sermons, on the other hand are usually much easier and worth reading. These are no exception. Although the book is a bit on the long-ish side (some of the sermons are a bit hefty), it's a convicting and encouraging description of love and how it applies to the life of the Christian.
Tom
Mar 29, 2016 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a word: glorious. The entire set of 16 lectures is classic Edwards, but the last of them on heaven as a world of love is one of the top pieces Edwards ever wrote. I'd say more, and would happily so so, but I'd rather you start reading it instead of reading my words.
Bryan
Dec 31, 2013 Bryan rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I read this book several years ago and decided to read it again since I have decided that 1 Corinthians 13 is the part of the Bible I probably need to concentrate on the most and Edwards is a great guide for this chapter.
Bryan
Jun 13, 2012 Bryan rated it it was amazing
This is some of the most beautiful and captivating writing I have ever read. My soul was shaken and at other times I would be stuck on a page day-dreaming of the love of God not able to turn the page.
Danny
Jun 30, 2012 Danny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic work of Edwards with illuminating comments and insights by Strobel. My only regret is that it took me so long to finally read this excellent piece of moral theology.
Trevor Davis
Dec 30, 2009 Trevor Davis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
This has become my all time favorite book. The insight Jonathan Edwards has into human nature and the practical application of Scripture for daily life is amazing.
Carlyn Cole
Aug 18, 2016 Carlyn Cole rated it it was amazing
A depth unlike the common bestseller of our day.
Benjamin Glaser
Apr 22, 2013 Benjamin Glaser rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Classic Edwards.

This book also reminds you that many of his most virulent critics on the confessional side have not done much reading of Edwards.
Karoline
Jul 23, 2013 Karoline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Typing one handed so let me just say, Read it
Crossbones
Oct 02, 2012 Crossbones marked it as to-read
1.5 - Church History/Biography
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Edmond Hallas
Edmond Hallas marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Kevin De
Kevin De marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
James Sutherland
James Sutherland marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
AG Fleming
AG Fleming marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Lorraine
Lorraine rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Olivia
Olivia rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
  • Spiritual-Mindedness
  • Dynamics of Spiritual Life
  • The Mystery of Providence
  • The Letters of Samuel Rutherford (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • The Godly Man's Picture
  • A Lifting Up for the Downcast
  • The Life of God in the Soul of Man
  • In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life
  • The Christian in Complete Armour
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Jonathan Edwards.

Jonathan Edwards was the most eminent American philosopher-theologian of his time, and a key figure in what has come to be called the First Great Awakening of the 1730s and 1740s.

The only son in a family of eleven children, he entered Yale in September, 1716 when he was not yet thirteen and graduated fou
More about Jonathan Edwards...

“There are always two sides to every story, and it is generally wise, and safe, and charitable, to take the best; and yet there is probably no one way in which persons are so liable to be wrong, as in presuming the worst is true, and in forming and expressing their judgement of others, and of their actions, without waiting till all the truth is known.” 4 likes
“Do not make an excuse that you have not opportunities to do anything for the glory of God, for the interest of the Redeemer's kingdom, and for the spiritual benefit of your neighbors. If your heart is full of love, it will find vent; you will find or make ways enough to express your love in deeds. When a fountain abounds in water it will send forth streams.” 4 likes