Start by marking “Charity & Its Fruits” as Want to Read:
Charity & Its Fruits

Charity & Its Fruits

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Sermons on 1 Corinthians 13 which give a rich insight into Edwards' regular pulpit ministry. The concluding chapter is on heaven as a world of love.
Published November 1st 1988 by Banner of Truth

To ask other readers questions about Charity & Its Fruits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charity & Its Fruits

Trisha
Convicting. Challenging. A must-read. Showed me how little I know about loving as Christ loves. The last chapters in which Edwards explores heaven and hell are moving in the deepest of ways.
Alexis Neal
An excellent (and thorough) analysis of I Corinthians 13. This was my first exposure to Edwards, and he did not disappoint. Edwards thinks deeply and critically about each aspect of the well-known discourse on love, and his insights are, for the most part, extremely helpful and well-supported. This passage is read so often that it is easy--for me, anyway--to gloss over it or place it in the mental category of "yeah, yeah, patient, kind, I know the drill . . . next!" Edwards slows the reader down ...more
Andrea
Many people hold stereotyped views of Edwards and his contemporaries, probably based on small uncontextualized snippets they may have read or heard in an American literature or history class. Charity and Its Fruits reveals Edwards' ideas as relevant for the modern Christian and possibly even a corrective for the kind of proud and uncharitable approach taken by some in the Christian right who would claim to be his admirers. A couple of quotes illustrate what I mean.
"Treating others with scorn and
JJ
Oct 25, 2014 JJ added it
Brilliant. Moving. Concrete. Instructive. Earthy. Edwards isn't just insightful, he's actually *helpful*. I was convicted by what I read and many of my blindspots as it relates to my lack of love were exposed. These sermons will bring sanity and self-awareness—readers beware!
Andrew Strenn
This is a short, but very good book. I also found it to be very readable. JE shows how pride and selfisness are the opposite of love. He then goes on to show that the fruits of pride and selfishness also not consistent with a profession of christian faith.
Coyle
An excellent study of I Corinthians 13:1-10. Edwards can be a dense writer, and his philosophical and theological works can be sometimes more trouble than they're worth. His sermons, on the other hand are usually much easier and worth reading. These are no exception. Although the book is a bit on the long-ish side (some of the sermons are a bit hefty), it's a convicting and encouraging description of love and how it applies to the life of the Christian.
Richard Cleary
This truly was a very edifying and stirring exposition of 1 Corinthians 13 "love chapter." I was close to giving it 5 stars in my first read through and I was not convinced I should't have. After a second run through, I am giving it 5 stars because of its enormous degree of truthfulness and helpfulness to me (that was better grasp this time around).

I read it on the kindle version for .99 cents.
Bryan
I read this book several years ago and decided to read it again since I have decided that 1 Corinthians 13 is the part of the Bible I probably need to concentrate on the most and Edwards is a great guide for this chapter.
Bryan
This is some of the most beautiful and captivating writing I have ever read. My soul was shaken and at other times I would be stuck on a page day-dreaming of the love of God not able to turn the page.
Trevor Davis
This has become my all time favorite book. The insight Jonathan Edwards has into human nature and the practical application of Scripture for daily life is amazing.
Benjamin Glaser
Classic Edwards.

This book also reminds you that many of his most virulent critics on the confessional side have not done much reading of Edwards.
BJ
Typical Edwards: beautiful and brilliant, convicting and creative, stretching the mind and molding the heart to the glory of God.
Karoline
Typing one handed so let me just say, Read it
Castrobabble
Oct 02, 2012 Castrobabble marked it as to-read
1.5 - Church History/Biography
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Dustin Carpenter
Dustin Carpenter is currently reading it
Jan 24, 2015
Rodney Ulyate
Rodney Ulyate marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Britt
Britt marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Dallis
Dallis marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Merle
Merle marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Jarrett Clay
Jarrett Clay marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
  • The Mystery of Providence (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • Dynamics of Spiritual Life
  • The Godly Man's Picture
  • Jonathan Edwards: A New Biography
  • Communion with God
  • The Person of Christ (Contours of Christian Theology, #7)
  • The Bruised Reed
  • The Letters of Samuel Rutherford (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • The Christian in Complete Armour
  • Practical Religion
  • Keep in Step with the Spirit: Finding Fullness in Our Walk with God
  • God's Passion for His Glory: Living the Vision of Jonathan Edwards (with the Complete Text of the End for Which God Created the World)
  • Studies in the Sermon on the Mount
  • Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices
  • The Holy Spirit (Contours of Christian Theology, #6)
  • Uprooting Anger, Biblical Help for a Common Problem
  • Running Scared: Fear, Worry, and the God of Rest
  • God in the Wasteland: The Reality of Truth in a World of Fading Dreams
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Jonathan Edwards.

Jonathan Edwards was the most eminent American philosopher-theologian of his time, and a key figure in what has come to be called the First Great Awakening of the 1730s and 1740s.

The only son in a family of eleven children, he entered Yale in September, 1716 when he was not yet thirteen and graduated fou
More about Jonathan Edwards...
The Religious Affections Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God Freedom of the Will Jonathan Edwards' Resolutions: And Advice to Young Converts The Works of Jonathan Edwards, 2 Volumes

“There are always two sides to every story, and it is generally wise, and safe, and charitable, to take the best; and yet there is probably no one way in which persons are so liable to be wrong, as in presuming the worst is true, and in forming and expressing their judgement of others, and of their actions, without waiting till all the truth is known.” 2 likes
“Do not make an excuse that you have not opportunities to do anything for the glory of God, for the interest of the Redeemer's kingdom, and for the spiritual benefit of your neighbors. If your heart is full of love, it will find vent; you will find or make ways enough to express your love in deeds. When a fountain abounds in water it will send forth streams.” 0 likes