Start by marking “Handbook to Higher Consciousness” as Want to Read:
Handbook to Higher Consciousness

Handbook to Higher Consciousness

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  328 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Clean unmarked vopy. Normal shelf and edge wear from handling. Mild foxing. Fifth edition 1987 - 24th printing. Satisfaction guaranteed!
Published January 1st 1993 by Love Line Books (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Handbook to Higher Consciousness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Handbook to Higher Consciousness

Polly Trout
Aug 25, 2008 Polly Trout rated it did not like it
Written in 1975, this is a New Age classic and a truly awful book. Normally I just ignore awful books, but I have some things to say about exactly why the worldview presented by Keyes is toxic.

The post-colon half of this book's title is "The Science of Happiness," which points to two ways this book is false: first, it teaches that spirituality is a science (it is not, it is an art). Second, it teaches that the goal of spiritual development is personal happiness (and it's not -- personal happines
Arlie Peyton
Mar 12, 2016 Arlie Peyton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Genius book. So many modern self-help books probably rip this one off. Seriously. Wayne Dyer wrote a preface for one edition, yet Keyes is the lesser-known author. His focus on a system for happiness is great. Even his hippy attitude is tolerable in modern times. Eliminating addictions is key with him, which is spot-on. If you've studied NLP, it might remind you of the notion of being able to reprogram your mind like a computer. Since this book's first edition was printed 1972, it predates NLP b ...more
Stu Webbb
Nov 01, 2013 Stu Webbb rated it it was amazing
This is the most profoundly practical book to clean up your unhappiness act and choose a happy way of life. It's neuroscience reprogramming before its time. (It sold a million copies in the 1970's. I just reread it and am amazed how much working with it had bettered my life. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Lauri
Feb 16, 2011 Lauri rated it it was amazing
Wow. Everyone should read this book. Defining the "obvious." Teaching how to operate from higher consciousness, and what that means, instead of animalistic-automatic-emotion-backed-responses. Great stuff. Life changing in an internal way... reprogramming.
Geva
Jul 12, 2012 Geva rated it it was amazing
I read this book at age 15. I can still say that it is one of the most influential books I ever read.
Gayle Ferguson
Sep 07, 2011 Gayle Ferguson rated it it was amazing
This book helped me to recognise how to change things that I did not know how to change about myself.For someone who did not possess the skills needed to begin making changes in my life, this guided me in a gentle,practical way.I still use some of it daily.It helps you to begin the internal dialog needed to begin healing a cycle of wrong thinking.If you know someone who is struggling with trying to do better but they honestly do not know how, suggest this book to them or make sure they get a cop ...more
Bal
Oct 11, 2015 Bal rated it it was amazing
This little gem of a book brings some of Taoism and Buddhism into a western framework. Ken Keyes views suffering being the result of "emotionally backed demands" which he labels "addictions.

The book was written at a time when the word "addiction" wasn't used unthinkingly by pop culture. I don't know that he was the first to use the word as he did, but I don't remember anyone earlier in my readings.

It is easy to skim the book and misunderstand his view. But here it is in a nutshell.

Life happens.
E.S. Wynn
May 25, 2014 E.S. Wynn rated it really liked it
This book is a great primer if you haven't read too deeply or widely into eastern philosophy or new age self-help books. The most valuable piece of info in this book is probably the little boxed blurb on page 87 that says:

TO BE FREE:
1. Explore the suffering.
2. Pinpoint the addictive demand.
3. Reprogram the addictive demand.
4. Experience the freedom.

The whole notion of addictions and preferences was a fresh concept to me. A lot of Ken Keyes's info hit me as old hat and overdone, but the language
Charles
Aug 25, 2013 Charles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love
All Us Living Love Always. This is a beautiful message. Read it with an open heart and mind, and, it will change your life.
Adele
Sep 02, 2015 Adele rated it it was ok
I read this age 14 and I soooo wanted to "believe" but it wasn't the right time. The low rating is simply because I didn't get it. It may be a great book for others.
David Santa cruz
A sloppy book in my opinion; yet if you can use his model without sticking to the book I'd expect great success. A nice book to get started on a positive path in life.
Fabienne
Feb 19, 2013 Fabienne rated it really liked it
While reading one of my older books by Iyanla Vanzant, I came across the name of this book which she credited as one of the books that helped her in her spiritual journey. I couldn’t find this book online or at my library but luckily, after googling the author’s name, I found a PDF copy of the book online available for download – for free!
If I hadn’t read Eckhart Tolle’s “Power of Now”, I admit that this book would have made no sense to me. Even so, I feel that I will need to read this again and
Anni
I choose to read this book, because it was mentioned in 'the Conversations with God' books and so it didn't really provide me with any new information about the benefits of sprituality. But what I liked about this book is the "how to" explanations, the steps to grow towards a higher conciousness. I'm looking forward to using them! They are simple and easy to understand even though the discriptions of the different paths are quite lenghty and therefore a little difficult to learn by heart. Overal ...more
Praveen
Feb 14, 2016 Praveen rated it it was amazing
You can end your search here.
Helene
Mar 05, 2014 Helene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five semi-ironic, semi-insincere stars for Ken Keyes Junior. The functioning of my biocomputer has reached the Cornucopia Level.
Emil Karajić
Oct 21, 2015 Emil Karajić rated it really liked it
Shelves: learning
The book has some really good ideas - nothing really new as far as standard enlightment goes but it does a nice job of connecting concepts with basic psychology. The one gripe I have with this book is that it is very repetitive - it could be a third shorter but still be able to convey its splendid ideas.
Caroline
Apr 21, 2012 Caroline rated it really liked it
Just reading this book made me feel calmer. It offers great advice, and can truly help you to see life in a more mature, healthier way. A bit repetitive at times, but overall, definitely worth a read if you are looking for tools to handle everything in life in a more balanced, positive way.
Lucy
Jun 08, 2012 Lucy added it
i read this after i got my degree in astrology at 13 from sylvia sherman's school in west orange nj - when i got this book they dude at the store said " you're the youngest person to have ever bought this book"
heh
old old old
and forever young
Marc
Oct 15, 2012 Marc rated it it was amazing
I can't believe I missed this book along the way.

This book is from 1975. Ideas presented predate and are incorporated by Anthony Robbins in Awaken the Giant Within and Eckart Tolle in his books. A precursor for sure.
Peter Devall
I want to buy this book let me comunicate with you by e-mail. let me know your e-mail please that I be able to send you the cost of the book and also your telephon number thank you peter Devall.
Carol Hope
Feb 10, 2009 Carol Hope rated it it was amazing
This book breaks down in a step by step manner how to let go of programming that does not serve you and how to replace it with bliss. Great workbook that greatly influenced my life.
John
May 28, 2016 John rated it it was ok
Sometimes I wonder how books actually become books. Maybe it's the 'knowing someone' that gets it done. Whatever it is that makes it happen...perplexes me...
JimZ
May 21, 2016 JimZ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keyes' book probably affected my life more than any other from the standpoint of developing emotional maturity. One of the few books that I re-read.
Margie
Apr 08, 2007 Margie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book laid the groundwork for a lifetime of spiritual achievement. Revisited many times over the years, and each visit brings new insights.
William
Nov 16, 2008 William rated it it was amazing
The best and easiest formula for reprogramming the mental operating system!
Imren Aloba
Aug 23, 2009 Imren Aloba rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: for higher concious
Recommended to Imren by: Newspaper editorial

At the stage of my life span it will help me to deal with the world.....
Tammy Williams
Oct 18, 2009 Tammy Williams rated it liked it
Shelves: spirit
To be able to observe and not kvetch...oy vey.
Faatimah
Jan 17, 2012 Faatimah rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Highly recommended!
Elizabeth
different cover c 1974 good condition
Graig Yarbrough
Dec 11, 2012 Graig Yarbrough rated it it was amazing
Keys really understood human nature.
  • Becoming Vegetarian: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Vegetarian Diet
  • Mysticism and the New Physics
  • The Eternal Now
  • The Only Dance There Is
  • Will and Spirit
  • The Four-Fold Way: Walking the Paths of the Warrior, Teacher, Healer, and Visionary
  • Complete Illustrated Guide – Feng Shui
  • Power Sleep: The Revolutionary Program That Prepares Your Mind for Peak Performance
  • The Joyous Cosmology: Adventures in the Chemistry of Consciousness
  • Goddesses in Older Women
  • A Gentle Path Through the Twelve Steps: The Classic Guide for All People in the Process of Recovery
  • Integral Spirituality
  • Mindfucking: A Critique of Mental Manipulation
  • Forgotten Truth: The Common Vision of the World's Religions

“A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world.” 17 likes
“Love everyone unconditionally, including yourself.” 3 likes