Start by marking “Handbook to Higher Consciousness” as Want to Read:
Handbook to Higher Consciousness

Handbook to Higher Consciousness

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  280 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Clean unmarked vopy. Normal shelf and edge wear from handling. Mild foxing. Fifth edition 1987 - 24th printing. Satisfaction guaranteed!
Published January 1st 1993 by Love Line Books (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Handbook to Higher Consciousness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Handbook to Higher Consciousness

Polly Trout
Written in 1975, this is a New Age classic and a truly awful book. Normally I just ignore awful books, but I have some things to say about exactly why the worldview presented by Keyes is toxic.

The post-colon half of this book's title is "The Science of Happiness," which points to two ways this book is false: first, it teaches that spirituality is a science (it is not, it is an art). Second, it teaches that the goal of spiritual development is personal happiness (and it's not -- personal happines
E.S. Wynn
This book is a great primer if you haven't read too deeply or widely into eastern philosophy or new age self-help books. The most valuable piece of info in this book is probably the little boxed blurb on page 87 that says:

TO BE FREE:
1. Explore the suffering.
2. Pinpoint the addictive demand.
3. Reprogram the addictive demand.
4. Experience the freedom.

The whole notion of addictions and preferences was a fresh concept to me. A lot of Ken Keyes's info hit me as old hat and overdone, but the language
Stu Webbb
This is the most profoundly practical book to clean up your unhappiness act and choose a happy way of life. It's neuroscience reprogramming before its time. (It sold a million copies in the 1970's. I just reread it and am amazed how much working with it had bettered my life. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Geva
I read this book at age 15. I can still say that it is one of the most influential books I ever read.
Emil Karajić
The book has some really good ideas - nothing really new as far as standard enlightment goes but it does a nice job of connecting concepts with basic psychology. The one gripe I have with this book is that it is very repetitive - it could be a third shorter but still be able to convey its splendid ideas.
David Santa cruz
A sloppy book in my opinion; yet if you can use his model without sticking to the book I'd expect great success. A nice book to get started on a positive path in life.
Fabienne
While reading one of my older books by Iyanla Vanzant, I came across the name of this book which she credited as one of the books that helped her in her spiritual journey. I couldn’t find this book online or at my library but luckily, after googling the author’s name, I found a PDF copy of the book online available for download – for free!
If I hadn’t read Eckhart Tolle’s “Power of Now”, I admit that this book would have made no sense to me. Even so, I feel that I will need to read this again and
Gayle Ferguson
This book helped me to recognise how to change things that I did not know how to change about myself.For someone who did not possess the skills needed to begin making changes in my life, this guided me in a gentle,practical way.I still use some of it daily.It helps you to begin the internal dialog needed to begin healing a cycle of wrong thinking.If you know someone who is struggling with trying to do better but they honestly do not know how, suggest this book to them or make sure they get a cop ...more
Anni
I choose to read this book, because it was mentioned in 'the Conversations with God' books and so it didn't really provide me with any new information about the benefits of sprituality. But what I liked about this book is the "how to" explanations, the steps to grow towards a higher conciousness. I'm looking forward to using them! They are simple and easy to understand even though the discriptions of the different paths are quite lenghty and therefore a little difficult to learn by heart. Overal ...more
Helene
Five semi-ironic, semi-insincere stars for Ken Keyes Junior. The functioning of my biocomputer has reached the Cornucopia Level.
Peyton
Genius book. So many modern self-help books probably rip this one off. Seriously. Wayne Dyer wrote a preface for one edition, yet Ken's far more profound. His focus on a system for happiness is great. Even his hippy attitude is tolerable in mod times. Eliminating addictions is key with him, which is spot-on. However, the book organization is not the best.
Caroline
Just reading this book made me feel calmer. It offers great advice, and can truly help you to see life in a more mature, healthier way. A bit repetitive at times, but overall, definitely worth a read if you are looking for tools to handle everything in life in a more balanced, positive way.
Lauri
Wow. Everyone should read this book. Defining the "obvious." Teaching how to operate from higher consciousness, and what that means, instead of animalistic-automatic-emotion-backed-responses. Great stuff. Life changing in an internal way... reprogramming.
Lucy
Jun 08, 2012 Lucy added it
i read this after i got my degree in astrology at 13 from sylvia sherman's school in west orange nj - when i got this book they dude at the store said " you're the youngest person to have ever bought this book"
heh
old old old
and forever young
Marc
I can't believe I missed this book along the way.

This book is from 1975. Ideas presented predate and are incorporated by Anthony Robbins in Awaken the Giant Within and Eckart Tolle in his books. A precursor for sure.
Peter Devall
I want to buy this book let me comunicate with you by e-mail. let me know your e-mail please that I be able to send you the cost of the book and also your telephon number thank you peter Devall.
Carol Hope
This book breaks down in a step by step manner how to let go of programming that does not serve you and how to replace it with bliss. Great workbook that greatly influenced my life.
Margie
Apr 08, 2007 Margie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book laid the groundwork for a lifetime of spiritual achievement. Revisited many times over the years, and each visit brings new insights.
Charles
All Us Living Love Always. This is a beautiful message. Read it with an open heart and mind, and, it will change your life.
William
The best and easiest formula for reprogramming the mental operating system!
Imren Aloba
Aug 23, 2009 Imren Aloba rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: for higher concious
Recommended to Imren by: Newspaper editorial

At the stage of my life span it will help me to deal with the world.....
Tammy Williams
To be able to observe and not kvetch...oy vey.
Faatimah
Excellent! Highly recommended!
Elizabeth
different cover c 1974 good condition
Graig Yarbrough
Keys really understood human nature.
Tyrone White
Tyrone White marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Randon Lund
Randon Lund marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Heather Monaco
Heather Monaco marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
  • Living in the Light: A Guide to Personal and Planetary Transformation
  • Mysticism and the New Physics
  • A Gentle Path Through the Twelve Steps: The Classic Guide for All People in the Process of Recovery
  • Becoming Vegetarian: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Vegetarian Diet
  • The Joyous Cosmology
  • The Eternal Now
  • Integral Spirituality
  • Emmanuel's Book: A Manual for Living Comfortably in the Cosmos
  • Goddesses in Older Women
  • Sorcerer's Apprentice: My Life with Carlos Castaneda
  • Your Inner Awakening: The Work of Byron Katie: Four Questions That Will Transform Your Life
  • Addiction and Grace: Love and Spirituality in the Healing of Addictions
  • Mindfucking: A Critique of Mental Manipulation
  • Forgotten Truth: The Common Vision of the World's Religions
  • The Only Dance There Is
  • Complete Illustrated Guide – Feng Shui
  • Theosophy : An Introduction to the Spiritual Processes in Human Life and in the Cosmos
  • The Science of Mind
The Hundredth Monkey A Conscious Person's Guide to Relationships Handbook to Higher Consciousness: The Workbook The Power of Unconditional Love: 21 Guidelines for Beginning, Improving and Changing Your Most Meaningful Relationships Prescriptions for Happiness

“A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world.” 17 likes
“Love everyone unconditionally, including yourself.” 3 likes