The Blue Helmet

The Blue Helmet

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Lee wants to be a Tarantula – a member of the biggest, most powerful gang in his neighbourhood. But when his initiation goes wrong and the police catch him robbing an auto supply store, Lee’s father sends him to live with his aunt in New Toronto.

Lee feels more lost than ever. His mother’s death from cancer, and his father’s constant absence working two jobs mean he has pr...more
Published August 29th 2006 by Doubleday Canada

Tanya
I personally thought this book was boring, because of it's slow pace and where the story didn't quite lead to anywhere. I felt the main character, like his job, was going back and forth, back and forth throughout the entire book. An interesting concept that could've been told in a more riveting and "fun" way. Some of the lines were hilarious and there was a unique freshness to it but still...it was dry and ...just boring. As a reader, you always hope that the story goes forward and up a notch, a...more
Michèle
The Blue helmet is a YA novel, but very suitable for an adult lecture.

The adolescent reader will identify with Lee Mercer, full of angst, recounting the events in first person. Confronted to bullies, he understood that he had to stand for himself. So he becomes a bully.

He lost his mother to cancer, and his father to overwork (he borrowed a lot of money to get his ailing wife on a long overdue trip to Italy, and cannot reimburse it), Lee dreams of integrating a street gang ("where everyone took...more
Rae
Mar 29, 2013 Rae rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008
First Reactions: This book was a different sort of book. Small and skinnier then other books I read, The Blue Helmet is about a teenager and finding his place in the world. He's hit a few rough spots and made a few mistakes, but then, don't we all make mistakes? It's how he learns to handle his mistakes and change that makes this book so enticing.

The story is in first person and Lee is telling about how even the smallest things can make a difference whether it's having a coffey in a café or maki...more
Larisa
Lee wants to join a gang that's big in his neighbourhood, when he gets caught stealing for the gang to prove himself, his father decides it's the last straw and sends him to live with his aunt in Toronto.

I chose this book because of the title,I myself have a blue helmet and was curious about what this book could be about.

I finished because I really liked what I read it was pretty interesting, I especially enjoyed Cutter's character, a genius held back by his own mind.

I would recommend this book...more
J
I'm sorry, but two stars is being generous. This really feels like Bell had two ideas (a gang story and a war story), and couldn't develop them enough, so he made them into one and the same novel. It really doesn't work. The Yugoslavia story is fantastic, and could have been a great full-blown novel. But the rest is just stereotypical, overdone, cliche...
Trelawney
I actually enjoyed this one. Reading the back of the book I thought it was going to be overly cliched, but the cast of zany characters, and the twist in the story totally surprised me. I thoroughly enjoyed this one, and being a thinner book, it's a nice, quick read.
Kanna Stephan
The Blue Helmet Really like the book the blue helmet and for me it is not boring at all
Cynthia
Fast read ... loved it ... a story set in Hamilton/Toronto - well written - real life characters and a message to remember " I had to face the war inside myself before I could find peace"
Sam
Aug 16, 2013 Sam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adults
I read this as a MYRCA novel and it's very well-written. A sad but nice story of a friendship that slowly grows between a boy and an old man.
Jodie
Interesting development of the main character and the conflict. This is a novel study for my Grade 9 Eng class...I think they will enjoy it!
Donna
Feb 22, 2009 Donna added it
I was made to read this book for work. It turned out to be a gripping book. Good for YA audiences!
What an incredible read, I couldn't stop reading it. Keep up the good work!
Jc
Winner of the CLA Young Adult Book Award in 2007.
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Mackenzie Traina-smith
Mackenzie Traina-smith marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Amanda
Amanda added it
Jun 06, 2014
Epilogue1212
Epilogue1212 marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
William Bell is an award-winning author of more than a dozen books for young adults.

Born in Toronto, Ontario in 1945, he has been a high school English teacher and department head, and an instructor at the Harbin University of Science and Technology, the Foreign Affairs College in Beijing, and the University of British Columbia.
More about William Bell...
Forbidden City Crabbe Stones (Garnet and Raphaella, #1) Fanatics (Garnet and Raphaella, #2) Only in the Movies