Start by marking “The Blue Helmet” as Want to Read:
The Blue Helmet

The Blue Helmet

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Lee wants to be a Tarantula – a member of the biggest, most powerful gang in his neighbourhood. But when his initiation goes wrong and the police catch him robbing an auto supply store, Lee’s father sends him to live with his aunt in New Toronto.

Lee feels more lost than ever. His mother’s death from cancer, and his father’s constant absence working two jobs mean he has pr
Published August 29th 2006 by Doubleday Canada

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Helmet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blue Helmet

I personally thought this book was boring, because of it's slow pace and where the story didn't quite lead to anywhere. I felt the main character, like his job, was going back and forth, back and forth throughout the entire book. An interesting concept that could've been told in a more riveting and "fun" way. Some of the lines were hilarious and there was a unique freshness to it but was dry and ...just boring. As a reader, you always hope that the story goes forward and up a notch, a ...more
The Blue helmet is a YA novel, but very suitable for an adult lecture.

The adolescent reader will identify with Lee Mercer, full of angst, recounting the events in first person. Confronted to bullies, he understood that he had to stand for himself. So he becomes a bully.

He lost his mother to cancer, and his father to overwork (he borrowed a lot of money to get his ailing wife on a long overdue trip to Italy, and cannot reimburse it), Lee dreams of integrating a street gang ("where everyone took
I can definitely see why teens would love this book. It centres around serious issues (PTSD, mental health, crime, violence, family relationships) and funnels them through the perspective of a "troubled youth". Ultimately, the message is affirming.
Mar 29, 2013 Rae rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008
First Reactions: This book was a different sort of book. Small and skinnier then other books I read, The Blue Helmet is about a teenager and finding his place in the world. He's hit a few rough spots and made a few mistakes, but then, don't we all make mistakes? It's how he learns to handle his mistakes and change that makes this book so enticing.

The story is in first person and Lee is telling about how even the smallest things can make a difference whether it's having a coffey in a café or maki
Jan 22, 2015 Jenelldez is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-blue-helmet
I say some of the things in this book I never really expect it to happen but I can say it was a great book and I loved it
Lee wants to join a gang that's big in his neighbourhood, when he gets caught stealing for the gang to prove himself, his father decides it's the last straw and sends him to live with his aunt in Toronto.

I chose this book because of the title,I myself have a blue helmet and was curious about what this book could be about.

I finished because I really liked what I read it was pretty interesting, I especially enjoyed Cutter's character, a genius held back by his own mind.

I would recommend this book
I'm sorry, but two stars is being generous. This really feels like Bell had two ideas (a gang story and a war story), and couldn't develop them enough, so he made them into one and the same novel. It really doesn't work. The Yugoslavia story is fantastic, and could have been a great full-blown novel. But the rest is just stereotypical, overdone, cliche...
I actually enjoyed this one. Reading the back of the book I thought it was going to be overly cliched, but the cast of zany characters, and the twist in the story totally surprised me. I thoroughly enjoyed this one, and being a thinner book, it's a nice, quick read.
Kanna Stephan
The Blue Helmet Really like the book the blue helmet and for me it is not boring at all
Fast read ... loved it ... a story set in Hamilton/Toronto - well written - real life characters and a message to remember " I had to face the war inside myself before I could find peace"
Aug 16, 2013 Sam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adults
I read this as a MYRCA novel and it's very well-written. A sad but nice story of a friendship that slowly grows between a boy and an old man.
Interesting development of the main character and the conflict. This is a novel study for my Grade 9 Eng class...I think they will enjoy it!
Feb 22, 2009 Donna added it
I was made to read this book for work. It turned out to be a gripping book. Good for YA audiences!
What an incredible read, I couldn't stop reading it. Keep up the good work!
Winner of the CLA Young Adult Book Award in 2007.
Netanella marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Beiza added it
Oct 30, 2015
Pat Elvidge
Pat Elvidge marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Review Of The Blue Helmet 1 1 Mar 09, 2015 02:33PM
  • The Raintree Rebellion
  • Mountain Girl River Girl
  • The Space Between
  • The End of the World as We Know It
  • The Incident Report
  • Me and the Blondes: Book One Of The Series
  • The Droughtlanders (Triskelia, #1)
  • Swimming in the Monsoon Sea
  • Before Wings
  • What We All Long For
  • Gravity Journal
  • Esther
  • Wakefield's Course (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #12)
  • The Rules of Engagement
William Bell is an award-winning author of more than a dozen books for young adults.

Born in Toronto, Ontario in 1945, he has been a high school English teacher and department head, and an instructor at the Harbin University of Science and Technology, the Foreign Affairs College in Beijing, and the University of British Columbia.
More about William Bell...