Start by marking “Big Stone Gap / Big Cherry Holler (Big Stone Gap, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
Big Stone Gap / Big Cherry Holler (Big Stone Gap, #1-2)

Big Stone Gap / Big Cherry Holler (Big Stone Gap #1-2)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  923 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
Very light edge wear and slight reader signs. Extremely clean and tight. Ships quickly and packaged carefully!
Published May 6th 2005 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Big Stone Gap / Big Cherry Holler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Stone Gap / Big Cherry Holler

Nov 07, 2012 Marielen rated it it was ok
the story was an ok read. I found that the main character was way to whiny. she was trying to move through certain issues, but at times i did find her a tad annoying!!!!!i enjoyed reading books from the south. The story was bit dry.
Jan 04, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
I love this series. It's one of the few books I got my mother to read with minimal nudging. Sadly enough i never read the 3rd book. It sort of fell off my radar.
Oct 01, 2015 Jane rated it it was ok
Why do I keep torturing myself? I keep thinking that the next Adriana Trigiani I read will be the one that changes my mind, the one that I like, the one with characters that resonate. In this novel, Ave is suffering from the loss of her son Joseph, who died at 4 from Leukemia and she doesn't know how to deal with the loss, so she represses it to the extent that she grows distant from her husband Jack Mac and runs the risk of losing her whole family.
However, it all seems blown out of proportion
Jun 20, 2013 Logan rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I absolutely adored book #1 of the Big Stone Gap series, so I couldn't wait to read book #2. Big Cherry Holler did not disappoint. It takes a wild twist that you don't see coming which makes it exciting and devastating at the same time. This book introduces the reader to an older Ave Maria who has been married for over a decade and had 2 children, but after losing her youngest, her marriage starts to take a turn for the worst. This is a wonderful story about never giving up and working through p ...more
Nov 14, 2015 Marcia added it
After finding herself and her new life, does happiness unabated ensue? Of course not. Although there has been happiness and children, there has been loss and drifting from the love Ave Maria and Jack Mac found. Can they dig deep, look at what they had and rekindle their marriage? Will the handsome, charming and insistent stranger pull Ave away while under the spell of a summer in Italy? And what of Jack, home alone and also being pursued by an understanding and available business woman, while co ...more
Suzanne Skelly
Jan 28, 2012 Suzanne Skelly rated it liked it
What a delightful mix of characters! From the very beginning of the book you feel like you have known them all your life.

The story which has to do with the relationships between people, also inspires the reader to attach themselves to the setting in which they story takes place. First you find yourself easing comfortably into the small mining community Big Stone Gap in the Appalachian Mountains of Virginia. Then you are swept into the natural beauty and passion of the small Italian village where
Denise Kuntz
Jan 19, 2013 Denise Kuntz rated it really liked it
I just finished book 1, Big Stone Gap. One of my friends read this trilogy years ago, which she truly loved; therefore,she gave me this set for my own enjoyment! I truly enjoyed the first book so today I am starting book 2, Big Cherry Holler. I really like the story line and love the characters! This is the first time that I have read any of Adriana Trigiani's work, so far not bad at all. I am looking forward to the next three books to this set! I truly want to thank you again Renee for these wo ...more
Sep 12, 2012 Carolyn rated it really liked it
I am not usually a fan of author-read books, and I had my doubts when I started to listen to this book. Well, suddenly everything feel into place, and I really became invested in the characters and the story, and the setting seemed very real. Ava Maria Mulligan is the town's pharmacist and also its "spinster." In addition, she is a very independent soul, which creates challenges in her love life. It was fun, and sometimes frustrating, to make it to a lasting relationship. And, now I need to go g ...more
Feb 25, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it
I didn't love the way this story went, but I did appreciate some of the insights the author shared about marriage and relationships. After reading this, I really, really want to travel to Italy. I think I'll continue with the series, and hope the unfortunate events of this book are forgiven and left behind.
May 02, 2008 Jean rated it liked it
Though not the usual Trigiani read, I enjoyed parts of this book, especially the mother daughter relationships. Definitely chick-literature, would not recommend this everyone, especially to the men in my group! Again, the Italian culturisms are delightful to read. I could do without the romantic trials.
Jan 24, 2008 Lynne rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and identified and sympathized with the main characters journey through her marriage. I found several "Ah Ha!" moments in this book and it forced me to take a closer look at myself and the people and things I take for granted in my life. A wonderful, insightful journey.
Apr 06, 2008 Kt. rated it really liked it
This is two books in one cover. I am loving it so far (after finishing the first novel - Big Stone Gap - and just starting the second). My only complaint is that the book is written in present tense, which can be exhausting to read after several hundred pages. Otherwise, great characters/great story.
Jun 13, 2008 Verlee rated it really liked it
Recommended to Verlee by: library
I like Adriana's writing style. I liked most of her characters but was pretty sure I wouldn't like them in real life. I have had experiences with the issues dealt with, and appreciated the insight of the book or author. Trigiani is easy to read, and comfortable. small hick town...right up my alley. I also enjoyed the stuff of Italy.
May 25, 2008 Ginny rated it liked it
The 2nd of the Big Stone Gap books, it is set 8 years (!) after the first. (Apparently Trigiani is not intending for these to go on forever.) Mostly the same characters. The ongoing marriage-on-the-rocks drama was almost overwhelming to me, but characters and pleasant writing made it worthwhile. I'll read the third book.
Jun 22, 2008 Carmela rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who's read "Big Stone Gap"
Recommended to Carmela by: mom
I loved that this was a continuation of the first book, and I loved the part in Italy, but I thought our heroine was a bit of a Debbie Downer and she was getting on my nerves. Lucky for her, her supporting cast of characters kept the flow going and got us to the end so I could move on to the next story.
Jan 06, 2015 Jill rated it liked it
This is more like 3.5 stars for me. I was kind of bugged with the main character for the first half of the book but then I ended up relating to her (that's probably why I was bugged) and appreciated the things she figured out about herself as a wife.
May 03, 2008 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
The same characters and setting from Big Stone Gap. Eight years have passed and you meet the characters again. The main character has a choice and the author leaves you hanging to find out which way the story will go. Not as light-hearted as the first one but still good read.
May 28, 2012 Mssuzyq623 rated it liked it
Very relevant to mylife, so i like it. A little corny at times, but still a pleasure to read. Getting the next one of the series out of library. Until that comes in, I'll read another one of hers I got from the booksale!
Apr 13, 2008 Nancy rated it liked it
If you like reading about people's lives and situations, it's a great one about a little mining town. Greg made fun of it everytime he heard me listening to it. (I listen to most of the books I "read". A bit corny at times, bit I like that.
Sep 28, 2007 Joanie rated it it was amazing
This is book 2 in the series. Ave is having some trouble in her marraige-they're in a slump of sorts-and she's trying to decide what she really wants. In some ways I think I liked this one even better than the first.
May 05, 2008 Beth rated it liked it
Recommends it for: readers of gentle romance
I liked this book, not as well as Big Stone Gap, but enough that I'm moving on to Milk Glass Moon which is number three in the trilogy. I don't usually read "series" books, but this one has been a good little escape- the parts set in Virginia as well as the Italy parts.
Apr 23, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this whole series, although I do believe this was my favorite so far. I'm starting the 4th book tonight when I get home. A very fun read, easy and relatable.
Nov 08, 2009 Becky rated it liked it
This book is a nice sequel to Big Stone Gap. The characters are charming. I enjoyed the main character's struggle to keep her marriage together after the death of a child.
Sara Doyle
Jul 06, 2008 Sara Doyle rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Great from start to finish. Just went to pick up the third book before the second was completed!
Mar 27, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it
Another good one from Adriana Trigiani! Reading this book it like going to a family reunion - it was great to "see" everyone again.
Nov 26, 2007 Alexa rated it liked it
Good quick trashy read. You can pick up the series in the middle, as Trigiani does a good job of filling in the "previously on..." bits.
May 08, 2008 Ang rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
I spent last summer reading as much Adriana Trigiani as I could find - and then I suddenly fell out of the mood.

I would still recommend the books :)
Treesa Lobianco
Absolutely LOVED both books. Am currently reading Home to Big Stone Gap (thought it was #3) but now I realized I missed one: Milk Glass Moon).
Nov 09, 2008 Marleen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Liisa
Recommended to Marleen by: Leuven Library
Such a charming book ! I have to reread this one soon ! The characters are so wonderful and endearing.
Shauna Hensley
Jul 14, 2009 Shauna Hensley rated it liked it
Shelves: series
Cute story and good life likeness as far the drama and people and actions. A little jumpy. time just disappears in the book. Pretty good for a nice read though. Not too much of a page turner.
  • Windfalls
  • Snowed In: A Novel
  • Touched
  • Songbird
  • The Other Mother
  • The Second Coming of Lucy Hatch (Lucy Hatch, #1)
  • The Pajama Girls of Lambert Square
  • Sandpebbles
  • Ernie's Ark
  • Million Little Mistakes
  • Everything Hurts
  • The Divide
  • Shadow Ranch: A Novel
  • Hope Springs (Hope Springs #2)
  • Meditations with James Van Praagh
  • Unbelievably Gluten-Free: 128 Delicious Recipes: Dinner Dishes You Never Thought You'd Be Able to Eat Again
  • Come Walk with Me
  • A Woman of Means: A Novel
Adriana Trigiani is beloved by millions of readers around the world for sixteen bestsellers, including the instant New York Times bestseller, All the Stars in the Heavens, the blockbuster epic The Shoemaker's Wife; the Big Stone Gap series; Lucia, Lucia; the Valentine series; the Viola series for young adults; and the bestselling memoir Don't Sing at the Table. She is the award-winning filmmaker o ...more
More about Adriana Trigiani...

Big Stone Gap (4 books)
  • Big Stone Gap (Big Stone Gap, #1)
  • Big Cherry Holler (Big Stone Gap, #2)
  • Milk Glass Moon (Big Stone Gap, #3)
  • Home to Big Stone Gap (Big Stone Gap, #4)