Big Stone Gap / Big Cherry Holler (Big Stone Gap, #1-2)

Big Stone Gap / Big Cherry Holler (Big Stone Gap #1-2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  774 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Very light edge wear and slight reader signs. Extremely clean and tight. Ships quickly and packaged carefully!
Published May 6th 2005 by Ballantine Books

Marielen
the story was an ok read. I found that the main character was way to whiny. she was trying to move through certain issues, but at times i did find her a tad annoying!!!!!i enjoyed reading books from the south. The story was bit dry.
Lisa
I love this series. It's one of the few books I got my mother to read with minimal nudging. Sadly enough i never read the 3rd book. It sort of fell off my radar.
Logan
I absolutely adored book #1 of the Big Stone Gap series, so I couldn't wait to read book #2. Big Cherry Holler did not disappoint. It takes a wild twist that you don't see coming which makes it exciting and devastating at the same time. This book introduces the reader to an older Ave Maria who has been married for over a decade and had 2 children, but after losing her youngest, her marriage starts to take a turn for the worst. This is a wonderful story about never giving up and working through p...more
Treesa Lobianco
Absolutely LOVED both books. Am currently reading Home to Big Stone Gap (thought it was #3) but now I realized I missed one: Milk Glass Moon).
Suzanne Skelly
What a delightful mix of characters! From the very beginning of the book you feel like you have known them all your life.

The story which has to do with the relationships between people, also inspires the reader to attach themselves to the setting in which they story takes place. First you find yourself easing comfortably into the small mining community Big Stone Gap in the Appalachian Mountains of Virginia. Then you are swept into the natural beauty and passion of the small Italian village where...more
Carolyn
I am not usually a fan of author-read books, and I had my doubts when I started to listen to this book. Well, suddenly everything feel into place, and I really became invested in the characters and the story, and the setting seemed very real. Ava Maria Mulligan is the town's pharmacist and also its "spinster." In addition, she is a very independent soul, which creates challenges in her love life. It was fun, and sometimes frustrating, to make it to a lasting relationship. And, now I need to go g...more
Denise Kuntz
I just finished book 1, Big Stone Gap. One of my friends read this trilogy years ago, which she truly loved; therefore,she gave me this set for my own enjoyment! I truly enjoyed the first book so today I am starting book 2, Big Cherry Holler. I really like the story line and love the characters! This is the first time that I have read any of Adriana Trigiani's work, so far not bad at all. I am looking forward to the next three books to this set! I truly want to thank you again Renee for these wo...more
Verlee
Jun 13, 2008 Verlee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Verlee by: library
I like Adriana's writing style. I liked most of her characters but was pretty sure I wouldn't like them in real life. I have had experiences with the issues dealt with, and appreciated the insight of the book or author. Trigiani is easy to read, and comfortable. small hick town...right up my alley. I also enjoyed the stuff of Italy.
Ginny
The 2nd of the Big Stone Gap books, it is set 8 years (!) after the first. (Apparently Trigiani is not intending for these to go on forever.) Mostly the same characters. The ongoing marriage-on-the-rocks drama was almost overwhelming to me, but characters and pleasant writing made it worthwhile. I'll read the third book.
Lisa
I didn't love the way this story went, but I did appreciate some of the insights the author shared about marriage and relationships. After reading this, I really, really want to travel to Italy. I think I'll continue with the series, and hope the unfortunate events of this book are forgiven and left behind.
Jean
Though not the usual Trigiani read, I enjoyed parts of this book, especially the mother daughter relationships. Definitely chick-literature, would not recommend this everyone, especially to the men in my group! Again, the Italian culturisms are delightful to read. I could do without the romantic trials.
Lynne
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and identified and sympathized with the main characters journey through her marriage. I found several "Ah Ha!" moments in this book and it forced me to take a closer look at myself and the people and things I take for granted in my life. A wonderful, insightful journey.
Kt.
This is two books in one cover. I am loving it so far (after finishing the first novel - Big Stone Gap - and just starting the second). My only complaint is that the book is written in present tense, which can be exhausting to read after several hundred pages. Otherwise, great characters/great story.
Carmela
Jun 22, 2008 Carmela rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who's read "Big Stone Gap"
Recommended to Carmela by: mom
I loved that this was a continuation of the first book, and I loved the part in Italy, but I thought our heroine was a bit of a Debbie Downer and she was getting on my nerves. Lucky for her, her supporting cast of characters kept the flow going and got us to the end so I could move on to the next story.
Beth
May 05, 2008 Beth rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: readers of gentle romance
I liked this book, not as well as Big Stone Gap, but enough that I'm moving on to Milk Glass Moon which is number three in the trilogy. I don't usually read "series" books, but this one has been a good little escape- the parts set in Virginia as well as the Italy parts.
Michelle
The same characters and setting from Big Stone Gap. Eight years have passed and you meet the characters again. The main character has a choice and the author leaves you hanging to find out which way the story will go. Not as light-hearted as the first one but still good read.
Nancy
If you like reading about people's lives and situations, it's a great one about a little mining town. Greg made fun of it everytime he heard me listening to it. (I listen to most of the books I "read". A bit corny at times, bit I like that.
Mssuzyq623
Very relevant to mylife, so i like it. A little corny at times, but still a pleasure to read. Getting the next one of the series out of library. Until that comes in, I'll read another one of hers I got from the booksale!
Joanie
This is book 2 in the series. Ave is having some trouble in her marraige-they're in a slump of sorts-and she's trying to decide what she really wants. In some ways I think I liked this one even better than the first.
Shauna Hensley
Cute story and good life likeness as far the drama and people and actions. A little jumpy. time just disappears in the book. Pretty good for a nice read though. Not too much of a page turner.
Sioban
The pace is erratic and at times the story line jumps over some patches in a person's life that call for the author to explain. Implausible at times but I found it like able enough for a summer read
Becky
This book is a nice sequel to Big Stone Gap. The characters are charming. I enjoyed the main character's struggle to keep her marriage together after the death of a child.
Kristen
I really enjoyed this whole series, although I do believe this was my favorite so far. I'm starting the 4th book tonight when I get home. A very fun read, easy and relatable.
Neesha
Big Stone Gap grabbed my interest a little more, but the second was an easy, fun read and I enjoyed the story. Vivid, memorable characters are this author's strong point.
Claire
Loved it! Some real food for thought. A little scary that I recognize some of myself in Ave Maria. This book makes me fear having a child even more.
Ang
May 08, 2008 Ang rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
I spent last summer reading as much Adriana Trigiani as I could find - and then I suddenly fell out of the mood.

I would still recommend the books :)
Kimberly
Second in the Big Stone Gap series. Again, so funny, you'll be chuckling out loud. Settle in with a familiar community and enjoy the folksy wisdom.
Susan
Another good one from Adriana Trigiani! Reading this book it like going to a family reunion - it was great to "see" everyone again.
Emily (emjoy20)
Trigiani is wonderful at adding such depth to her characters in ways that really make you identify with them on a personal level.
Alexa
Good quick trashy read. You can pick up the series in the middle, as Trigiani does a good job of filling in the "previously on..." bits.
  • Songbird
  • The Other Mother
  • Million Little Mistakes
  • The Second Coming of Lucy Hatch (Lucy Hatch, #1)
  • Ernie's Ark
  • Circle of Three
  • Blue
  • Isabel's Daughter
  • Two Nations: Black and White, Separate, Hostile, Unequal
  • Mean Season (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Leeway Cottage
  • The Children's Hour
  • A Can of Peas
  • Girl with a Pearl Earring: Dutch Paintings from the Mauritshuis
  • The Pajama Girls of Lambert Square
  • The Island of Heavenly Daze (Heavenly Daze #1)
  • Bad Girl Creek (Bad Girl Creek #1)
  • The Shadow Dancer (Wind River Reservation, #8)
Bestselling author Adriana Trigiani is beloved by millions of readers around the world for her hilarious and heartwarming novels. Adriana was raised in a small coal-mining town in southwest Virginia in a big Italian family. She chose her hometown for the setting and title of her debut novel, the critically acclaimed bestseller Big Stone Gap. The heartwarming story continues in the novel's sequels...more
More about Adriana Trigiani...
The Shoemaker's Wife Big Stone Gap (Big Stone Gap, #1) Big Cherry Holler (Big Stone Gap, #2) Lucia, Lucia Very Valentine