Start by marking “We'll Always Have Paris: Sex & Love in the City of Light” as Want to Read:
We'll Always Have Paris: Sex & Love in the City of Light

We'll Always Have Paris: Sex & Love in the City of Light

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  46 reviews
For more than a century, pilgrims from all over the world seeking romance and passion have made their way to the City of Light. The seductive lure of Paris has long been irresistible to lovers, artists, epicureans, and connoisseurs of the good life. Globe-trotting film critic and writer John Baxter heard her siren song and was bewitched. Now he offers readers a witty, auda...more
Published February 28th 2006 by Harper Perennial (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about We'll Always Have Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We'll Always Have Paris

Les Misérables by Victor HugoA Moveable Feast by Ernest HemingwayA Tale of Two Cities by Charles DickensMy Life in France by Julia ChildThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
Books About Paris
144th out of 360 books — 399 voters
Brainwashed by Paul AertkerMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansFrench Illusions by Linda Kovic-SkowThe Story of Babar by Jean de BrunhoffAsterix the Gaul by René Goscinny
France..and Paris!
139th out of 167 books — 76 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
Another great book about Paris, especially about the Paris of the Lost Generation (1920s and 1930s). Though it's written from a modern era, by someone who loves Paris, especially the more risque side of the city, and delights in exploring it's tawdry history. John Baxter also follows every romantic Paris-lovers dream ... though a successful journalist and writer in LA, he chucks it all to marry a Parisian woman he dated long ago and reconnected with, and moves to Paris with her, living in a pala...more
Erin
Jan 16, 2008 Erin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Paris lovers
Shelves: attic
This is probably the most unique book about Paris I've ever read, and what I loved about it is that it showed me sides of Paris I've never seen before (in person, or in books!). This book treads a really delicate balance between the "sex" and "love" in its subtitle. Two of my favorite parts of this book are when the author traces the history of Paris brothels and when he sums up the French attitude toward sex. But I also really liked how the author balanced this history with his own experience o...more
Raquel
I purchased this book as entertainment for my 9 hour flight to Paris, unfortunately, in my haste to the airport I forgot the book on my entry table. While meeting with a business contact at a cafe in the left bank, he introduces me to a gentleman who walks in. He's introduced to me as an Australian author who now resides in Paris with his French wife and daughter. This pleasant man joins us and remains chatting with me long after my business contact had departed. We had a wonderful conversation...more
MotherMoo
This book, the author's first book about Paris, is OK but not as good as his second book about Paris, "The Most Beautiful Walk in the World" (which I read first). He covered a lot of the same ground in the second book so this book quite often seemed like a rehash of old news. Sometimes he went on way too long, specifically the Surrealists and Man Ray. And there were errors...even I know that the napkin over the head bit is done when one eats a roasted ortolan not when one sits down to a dinner o...more
Butch Byers
Love John Baxter's style - engaging, self-deprecating, lots of cultural fish out of water moments but all presented with a super sense of wonder. Looking forward to his future stories about "Paris with teenagers"... Now that's a book w advice I could use!
Hester
Memories of Paris by John Baxter, an Australian writer. As an Aussie, he brings a different spin to the essays-about-Paris-genre. I like his emphasis on Paris' naughty and erotic past, but it was not as interesting as I was hoping for. One of the most interesting passages was about a Catholic restaurant in Pigalle catering to the area's prostitutes that had shut down. This book, like "Paris to the Moon" involves the impending birth of a child and how different that is in Paris, but it does not h...more
Jasmin
The book started off okay, and as usual, any story set in a Parisian scene is often allure enough for me. However I found it increasingly difficult to keep my interest in this book, and quit perhaps 40 pages short.
Michelle
Jun 10, 2011 Michelle rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who love anything about Paris
This was by no means a bad book, I just did not enjoy it nearly as much as I had hoped to, or as much as I have enjoyed other memoirs. I guess part of the problem is that it wasn't entirely a memoir. Instead, it focuses a lot on Paris history. And not just any history, but the raunchy history. And that topic doesn't offend me, but that is not what I picked up the bok for. So I have to be honest, I was disappointed. I was also annoyed with the name-dropping. So you are an Australian who knows lts...more
Malvina Yock
A racier view of Paris than I expected! But lots of fun to read. Just goes to show, no two people will ever view Paris alike...
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Baxter interweaves the tale of his love story with Marie-Do, his love story with Paris, and the story of love and sex in Paris in this book, We'll Always Have Paris.

In the end, I had mixed feelings about the book. The stories of Baxter's meetings with the famous and the infamous in Paris had a sense of boasting that I didn't like. The stories of love and sex in Paris' past felt raunchy, more than I wanted to know, at times. I liked it best when Baxter told the story of his love affair with Mari...more
Matthew Beck
Excellent fodder for anyone with a Paris obsession. A lot of stories, tales and off-the-books history nicely integrated with the author's own story.
zespri
The author of this book is apparently an acclaimed film critic and biographer. His extensive knowledge of film, the visual arts and books made this a very different and interesting view of Paris.

Interwoven with this cultural tour of Paris is the author's own journey of meeting his french partner and his moving to Paris from Australia. Quite a cultural jump, and one which he obviously does very successfully.

The book is full of literary quotes and behind the scenes anecdotes, though I guess that'...more
Carolyn
I enjoyed reading this book because I love everything about Paris, however, it was a bit long-winded at times. It made a lot of references to fairly obscure authors, books, musicians, etc, many of which I had never heard of, and therefore, the references were lost on me. The storyline got lost among all the references and so the book felt choppy and I was getting tired of it by the end. Overall, I would still recommend this book to anyone that has an interest in Paris, although it wouldn't be my...more
Jennell McHugh
Great one-liners, anecdotes, insights! Do not be fooled by the title-- I've determined it more of a quip to what keeps the "City of Light" lit. Despite his career of critique, Baxter is extremely jolly and offers himself up to his readers. I spent the month of August dedicated to France and the enigmatic, expatriates and later-claimed luminaries evolving/deeeeevolving there and this was a great almost travelogue-ish reflection.
William
Is it a book on the author's charming experiences with his own French love or is it an interesting excursion into the sex and love (mainly sex) trivia of Paris? Well, it's both, but it should be one or another. Either theme can make its own book; no need to intertwine. Baxter writes well, at least, and anyone interested in Paris may eventually want to try this quick read.
Mattie
Interesting travel memoir. However, I found not having a frame of reference (having not been to Paris) a distinct disadvantage in assessing the book. That did make me want to visit (not that I didn't want to already), but not in the same way that the movie Midnight in Paris did.
Nm Boi
This was a good read. Having just visited Paris I could relate to the places the writer was speaking about and the history of it all. Doesn't read like a book however and is kind of choppy in structure. Still, it was enjoyable if you are a fan of Paris and its brilliant history.
Kathleen
I read this book before my trip to Paris, as I thought it would provide a little insight into daily life as a Parisian amidst the sexual history of Paris. The author did just that and it made my trip just a little more meaningful.
Alison Smith
This Australian author married a French woman, and has lived in Paris for 15 years. He's an acclaimed film critic. Anecdotes about the arty and the notorious who have lived in Paris - plus some naughty pics in the photo section.
Angie
This was an unexpected surprise. It let me know that I am lacking basic French history, and I think my next group of historical biographies will be about some of the people I read in this tiny book. The French are an interesting bunch!
Charlotte
Am re-reading this gem of a combination memoir/travel/romance/humor. Baxter paints vivid scenes which take you to the heart of the Parisians & Paris along with personal reminisences & observations which light up his chapters.
This autobiographical collection of essays will show you the Paris you've never seen and inform you on the Paris you've never read about. His literary and historical references will keep you turning the pages.
Greg
Was interesting to get into the Paris mind set, but maybe a bit too risque for general reading. Was most interested in his descriptions of the French health care system, apartments, mannerisms, summer homes, etc.
SomeForTheRoad.com
The author's good narrative skills move the story forward and involve the reader. I laughed out loud several times. A good light-hearted look at why people are attracted to the romance of Paris from one who is.
Casey
A lovely--and refreshingly uncensored--account of a man's move to Paris. The author is a film scholar and avid reader, so his bibliography is terrific, and he references many terrific French films.
Eric
At times interesting, at times a little slow...but overall I liked it...The history of Paris in regards to sex and love...and the overall tone of author, as he regards his new home with much favor...
Kaixin
Well i picked it up, being lured by Paris. Found the narration quite boring, couldn't get past the third chapter. Oh well maybe i'll attempt it again when i have the time..
Cheryl
Eh. Interesting in all of its cultural and historical abundance but tiring towards the end, I was looking forward to being done with this book.
A book about Paris that is really about the author and his mid-life-crisis love affair, so not really about Paris or it's history at all.
Nicole
Not as good as The Most Beautiful Walk in the World, but I still enjoyed Baxter's easy, informative writing style.
  • Paris, Paris: Journey into the City of Light
  • Into a Paris Quartier
  • Hemingway: The Paris Years
  • Paris: The Biography of a City
  • Paris: The Secret History
  • Paris Was a Woman: Portraits from the Left Bank
  • Exile's Return: A Literary Odyssey of the 1920s
  • Wild Heart: A Life: Natalie Clifford Barney and the Decadence of Literary Paris
  • Tout Sweet: Hanging Up My High Heels For A New Life In Rural France
  • Last Nights of Paris
  • Paris Was Ours
  • Remembrance of Things Paris: Sixty Years of Writing from Gourmet (Modern Library Food)
  • Provence A-Z
  • For the Soul of France: Culture Wars in the Age of Dreyfus
  • Sylvia Beach and the Lost Generation: A History of Literary Paris in the Twenties and Thirties
  • On Paris
  • Charmed Circle: Gertrude Stein and Company
  • Words in a French Life: Lessons in Love and Language from the South of France
John Baxter (born 1939 in Randwick, New South Wales) is an Australian-born writer, journalist, and film-maker.

Baxter has lived in Britain and the United States as well as in his native Sydney, but has made his home in Paris since 1989, where he is married to the film-maker Marie-Dominique Montel. They have one daughter, Louise.

He began writing science fiction in the early 1960s for New Worlds, Sci...more
More about John Baxter...
The Most Beautiful Walk in the World: A Pedestrian in Paris Immoveable Feast: A Paris Christmas A Pound of Paper: Confessions of a Book Addict Stanley Kubrick: A Biography The Perfect Meal: In Search of the Lost Tastes of France