Start by marking “Speeches That Changed the World: The Stories and Transcripts of the Moments That Made History” as Want to Read:

This book contains over 50 momentous and thought-provoking speeches from a wide range of historical eras and nations that will inspire readers and give them a greater understanding of events of the time. Each speech is accompanied by a comprehensive introduction that explains its historical background, why it was significant and what happened as a result.
Published August 1st 2006 by Booksales

To ask other readers questions about Speeches That Changed the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speeches That Changed the World

Jan
Jan 31, 2010 Jan rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I think a more appropriate title of this book would be: "Speeches That Were Made During World-Changing Events (although some of the events included here were questionably world-changing - I'm looking at you St. Francis of Assisi's sermon to the birds)."

A lot of the speeches in this book were given by white men, which annoyed me to no end. They were also heavily focused in the 20th century. And they were extremely western-focused, with white men from the U.K. and the U.S. receiving most of the pr
MN
Feb 18, 2015 MN rated it liked it
This book contains some interesting and phenomenal speeches made by different people belonging to different time periods. Speeches of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), Jesus(Pbuh), Winston Churchill, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Mother Teresa, Queen Elizabeth I etc are my favourites from the book.
Steve Rangoussis
May 25, 2010 Steve Rangoussis rated it liked it
Recommends it for: History buffs, presenters, leaders.
This is a compilation of 48 famous speeches. Really mostly excerpts, but it is a good taste of impactful speeches minus the rhetoric. I am giving this one only 3 starts because there are some inaccuracies and the criteria selection of the 48 is questionable. Other than that, worth the read.
Hosam Mahmoud
Sep 15, 2007 Hosam Mahmoud rated it it was ok

This book is a compilation of such important speeches by

Prophet Moses
Jesus Christ
Prophet Mohammad
St. Francis (of Assisi, 1220, founder of the Franciscan movement)
King Charles I
Oliver Cromwell
Thomas Jefferson
Napoleon Bonaparte
Abraham Lincoln

and may others (48 in total). Each chapter consists of two parts (of
about equal length):

-- a biography (written by the authors of the book)

-- one or more speeches by each of the biographees,

and for the more recent speakers, a photo of high qua
Mike
Aug 06, 2011 Mike rated it did not like it
Although it starts at a meandering pace with excerpts from the Bible and the Koran (certainly relevant, but questionable as to whether they should be included as speeches, as they're passages from books, whereas everything else here is presented as a transcript of a speech), Speeches That Changed the World trots through words from the likes of Queen Elizabeth I, George Washington and Napoleon Bonaparte before settling in upon reaching the 20th century, which constitutes 75% of the book's content ...more
Josh
Dec 05, 2012 Josh added it
The book i read was "Speeches That Changed The World" by Simon Sebag Montefiore. The purpose in writing this book i think is to inforom the reader on major speeches around the world not just in the untited states, but all across the world. If i had to choose a theme i thought the author was trying to make in writing this book would be, anyone can do anything if they put their mind to it and try there best to accomplish what ever goal that they have. This book is a description because it talks ab ...more
Jared
Aug 08, 2008 Jared rated it it was ok
Speeches are made to be heard, not read. I wanted the text of a few of these so I could learn to give them Any speech I had heard before was great because I could remember the voice inflections and such. Unknown speeches were often well written, and I could imagine how they were given, but its a lot harder to catch the magic. Content is excellent however with some accompanying dialogue that helps put each speech in context.
Bikewriter
Jan 16, 2012 Bikewriter rated it really liked it
I really liked this book of important snippets of world history. The compilation puts each speaker's situation into summary perspective in a way that enlightens the reader without overburden. Each speaker speaks for herself/himself with no added judgmental commentary by the compiler. The text is enlightening and inspiring.
Becky
Aug 30, 2010 Becky rated it really liked it
A fascinating walk through history. I almost enjoyed the short bios and historical context more than the actual speeches themselves. My favorite speech was by Elie Wiesel warning us of "indifference."
Brad
Apr 08, 2007 Brad rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This book contains all the great speeches that have impacted the history of the world in some way, shape, or form. Not only does it provide the transcript of the speeches, but it also provides a background for the reader to understand the context in which the speech was given.
Valerie Mooney
Aug 28, 2008 Valerie Mooney rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone. Especially if you enjoy history
Full of monumental speeches made by some of the most influential people in history.

I HIGHLY recommend this collection of speeches.

Plus, Winston Churchill is on the cover!!
Donna
Apr 26, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing
I thought it was fascinating...a great glimpse at history through the speeches of the times. The historical snippets that accompanied each speech and gave each context were helpful.
Kathryn
Mar 13, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
From Jesus to Martin Luther King, Jr. to Elie Wiesel ... and many more in between. Amazing!!! Loved it!
Autumn
Feb 01, 2008 Autumn rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An excellent collection of influential speeches. You hear quotes from these speeches so much...it was nice to finally read them in full context.
Evelyn
Evelyn rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2015
Brooke Rieder
Brooke Rieder rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2009
Charmain
Charmain rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2007
Kyle Landon
Kyle Landon rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2012
Devlon
Devlon rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2011
Maarit
Maarit rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2011
Trav
Trav rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2009
Nate
Nate rated it liked it
May 24, 2011
Ruchita
Ruchita rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2012
Kaylen Ramos-williams
Kaylen Ramos-williams rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
Cerulean
Cerulean rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2012
Marty
Marty rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2008
Tommi180744
Tommi180744 rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2015
Emily Radman
Emily Radman rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The World's Great Speeches
  • The Case Against Barack Obama: The Unlikely Rise and Unexamined Agenda of the Media's Favorite Candidate
  • Where the Buck Stops: The Personal and Private Writings of Harry S. Truman
  • John A: The Man Who Made Us (The Life and Times of John A. Macdonald - Volume One: 1815-1867)
  • George Washington's Farewell Address
  • The Arab-Israeli Wars: War and Peace in the Middle East
  • Great Love Poems
  • Writings of Abraham Lincoln
  • Franklin Delano Roosevelt: Champion of Freedom
  • The American Patriot's Almanac
  • The Constitution in Exile: How the Federal Government Has Seized Power by Rewriting the Supreme Law of the Land
  • The Real Benjamin Franklin (Vol. 2 of the American Classic Series)
  • Adams-Jefferson Letters
  • Power to the People
  • The Flip Side: Break Free of the Behaviors That Hold You Back
  • Miracle of Scarlet Thread
  • Hitler's Generals
  • History's Worst Decisions
More than a mere renaissance man, Jefferson may actually have been a new kind of man. He was fluent in five languages and able to read two others. He wrote, over the course of his life, over sixteen thousand letters. He was acquainted with nearly every influential person in America, and a great many in Europe as well. He was a lawyer, agronomist, musician, scientist, philosopher, author, architect ...more
More about Thomas Jefferson...