Start by marking “Speeches That Changed the World: The Stories and Transcripts of the Moments That Made History” as Want to Read:

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  20 reviews
This book contains over 50 momentous and thought-provoking speeches from a wide range of historical eras and nations that will inspire readers and give them a greater understanding of events of the time. Each speech is accompanied by a comprehensive introduction that explains its historical background, why it was significant and what happened as a result.
Published August 1st 2006 by Booksales

To ask other readers questions about Speeches That Changed the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speeches That Changed the World

Jan
I think a more appropriate title of this book would be: "Speeches That Were Made During World-Changing Events (although some of the events included here were questionably world-changing - I'm looking at you St. Francis of Assisi's sermon to the birds)."

A lot of the speeches in this book were given by white men, which annoyed me to no end. They were also heavily focused in the 20th century. And they were extremely western-focused, with white men from the U.K. and the U.S. receiving most of the pr
MN
This book contains some interesting and phenomenal speeches made by different people belonging to different time periods. Speeches of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), Jesus(Pbuh), Winston Churchill, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Mother Teresa, Queen Elizabeth I etc are my favourites from the book.
Mike
Although it starts at a meandering pace with excerpts from the Bible and the Koran (certainly relevant, but questionable as to whether they should be included as speeches, as they're passages from books, whereas everything else here is presented as a transcript of a speech), Speeches That Changed the World trots through words from the likes of Queen Elizabeth I, George Washington and Napoleon Bonaparte before settling in upon reaching the 20th century, which constitutes 75% of the book's content ...more
Josh
Dec 05, 2012 Josh added it
The book i read was "Speeches That Changed The World" by Simon Sebag Montefiore. The purpose in writing this book i think is to inforom the reader on major speeches around the world not just in the untited states, but all across the world. If i had to choose a theme i thought the author was trying to make in writing this book would be, anyone can do anything if they put their mind to it and try there best to accomplish what ever goal that they have. This book is a description because it talks ab ...more
Hosam Mahmoud

This book is a compilation of such important speeches by

Prophet Moses
Jesus Christ
Prophet Mohammad
St. Francis (of Assisi, 1220, founder of the Franciscan movement)
King Charles I
Oliver Cromwell
Thomas Jefferson
Napoleon Bonaparte
Abraham Lincoln

and may others (48 in total). Each chapter consists of two parts (of
about equal length):

-- a biography (written by the authors of the book)

-- one or more speeches by each of the biographees,

and for the more recent speakers, a photo of high qua
Jared
Speeches are made to be heard, not read. I wanted the text of a few of these so I could learn to give them Any speech I had heard before was great because I could remember the voice inflections and such. Unknown speeches were often well written, and I could imagine how they were given, but its a lot harder to catch the magic. Content is excellent however with some accompanying dialogue that helps put each speech in context.
Bikewriter
I really liked this book of important snippets of world history. The compilation puts each speaker's situation into summary perspective in a way that enlightens the reader without overburden. Each speaker speaks for herself/himself with no added judgmental commentary by the compiler. The text is enlightening and inspiring.
Steve Rangoussis
May 25, 2010 Steve Rangoussis rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: History buffs, presenters, leaders.
This is a compilation of 48 famous speeches. Really mostly excerpts, but it is a good taste of impactful speeches minus the rhetoric. I am giving this one only 3 starts because there are some inaccuracies and the criteria selection of the 48 is questionable. Other than that, worth the read.
Brad
This book contains all the great speeches that have impacted the history of the world in some way, shape, or form. Not only does it provide the transcript of the speeches, but it also provides a background for the reader to understand the context in which the speech was given.
Becky
A fascinating walk through history. I almost enjoyed the short bios and historical context more than the actual speeches themselves. My favorite speech was by Elie Wiesel warning us of "indifference."
Valerie Mooney
Aug 28, 2008 Valerie Mooney rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone. Especially if you enjoy history
Full of monumental speeches made by some of the most influential people in history.

I HIGHLY recommend this collection of speeches.

Plus, Winston Churchill is on the cover!!
Donna
I thought it was fascinating...a great glimpse at history through the speeches of the times. The historical snippets that accompanied each speech and gave each context were helpful.
Autumn
An excellent collection of influential speeches. You hear quotes from these speeches so much...it was nice to finally read them in full context.
Kathryn
From Jesus to Martin Luther King, Jr. to Elie Wiesel ... and many more in between. Amazing!!! Loved it!
Benjamin
This piece of literature was full of history and the art of public speaking. I truly enjoyed it.
Esther
Corinda is selecting which speeches we will be reading and discussing.
Mati
Must read for every History lover
Dan
Oct 12, 2011 Dan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: memoirs
Was interesting to read but got a little boring after a while.
Andrea
Sep 12, 2010 Andrea is currently reading it
Powerful stuff..
Jonathan
Nov 21, 2009 Jonathan added it
Shelves: non, fiction
None
Lucri
Lucri marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
#DieAdler
#DieAdler marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Ghayoor Mulk
Ghayoor Mulk marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Murdoch Maxwell
Murdoch Maxwell marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Esther
Esther marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Tegan
Tegan added it
Apr 13, 2015
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
  • The World's Great Speeches
  • The Case Against Barack Obama: The Unlikely Rise and Unexamined Agenda of the Media's Favorite Candidate
  • The American Patriot's Almanac
  • Franklin Delano Roosevelt: Champion of Freedom
  • The Arab-Israeli Wars: War and Peace in the Middle East
  • Writings
  • Great Love Poems
  • The Real Benjamin Franklin (Vol. 2 of the American Classic Series)
  • John A: The Man Who Made Us (The Life and Times of John A. Macdonald - Volume One: 1815-1867)
  • The Constitution in Exile: How the Federal Government Has Seized Power by Rewriting the Supreme Law of the Land
  • Writings of Abraham Lincoln
  • History's Worst Decisions
  • A Call to Conscience: The Landmark Speeches
  • Adams-Jefferson Letters
  • Alexander
  • Miracle of Scarlet Thread
  • Memoirs
  • Power to the People
More than a mere renaissance man, Jefferson may actually have been a new kind of man. He was fluent in five languages and able to read two others. He wrote, over the course of his life, over sixteen thousand letters. He was acquainted with nearly every influential person in America, and a great many in Europe as well. He was a lawyer, agronomist, musician, scientist, philosopher, author, architect ...more
More about Thomas Jefferson...
The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States Writings: Autobiography/Notes on the State of Virginia/Public & Private Papers/Addresses/Letters The Jefferson Bible: The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth (Little Books of Wisdom) Autobiography of Thomas Jefferson Declaration of Independence, Constitution of the United States of America, Bill of Rights and Constitutional Amendments