Start by marking “Speeches That Changed the World” as Want to Read:
Speeches That Changed the World

Speeches That Changed the World

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  370 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
This book contains over 50 momentous and thought-provoking speeches from a wide range of historical eras and nations that will inspire readers and give them a greater understanding of events of the time. Each speech is accompanied by a comprehensive introduction that explains its historical background, why it was significant and what happened as a result.
Published March 30th 2006 by Quercus Publishing Plc (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Speeches That Changed the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speeches That Changed the World

Steven S
Oct 14, 2014 Steven S rated it it was ok
Bukunya ok, kertas nya lumayan. Isinya yang kurang nyaman dibaca
Boris
Dec 27, 2015 Boris rated it really liked it
For every speech there's one or two pages of background information - historical and/or personal.

It's not a book to read from cover to cover (well, in my opinion).

Just pick, when you're in the mood, one or two of these speeches and savour it.
Take your time to let it sink in. Try to feel the speakers mood, motivation and intention. And then try to agree or disagree.

In short words: Enjoy :)
Peter McDonald
Sep 10, 2011 Peter McDonald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This is the best speech book I have because it comes with a set of recording on CD of some of hte modern speeches. It is just electric listening (and reading). Beautifully presented with some great speeches of men and women throughout time. Just love it and highly recommend ikt
Carl
Sep 05, 2012 Carl rated it did not like it
Shelves: history-politics
A compilation of influential speeches with poorly written lead ins that fail to give a decent context in which the speeches were given. The speeches themselves are wonderful, but I can't give the book credit for printing abridged versions of better men's words.
Dainius Jocas
Jul 28, 2014 Dainius Jocas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man labiausiai knygoje patiko istorinių asmenybių aprašymai - nauji faktai. Ir pačios istorinės asmenybės parinktos tokios, sakykim, svarbesnės britiškam pasaulio matymui.

Kalbose buvo aptariami visokie svarbūs įvykiai, kuriems, mano galva, neįtikėnai svarbus kontekstas. Pavyzdžiui, vienoje paskutinių knygos kalbų George W. Bush po rugsėjo 11-osios sakė, kad "<..> ir imtis visų įmanomų atsargumo priemonių apsaugoti mūsų piliečius nuo naujų antpuolių tiek tėvynėje, tiek visame pasaulyje." Sk
Keith Perena
Aug 21, 2014 Keith Perena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An impressive collection of speeches and back stories. I particularly like the ones from the 40's especially FDR's speech after the Pearl Harbor attacks, Molotov's electrifying speech regarding Operation Barbarossa,and Patton's "in-your-face" machismo towards Hitler.
Haley Grizzell
Dec 07, 2014 Haley Grizzell rated it really liked it
The selection of speeches greatly improved as the book went on. The first quarter of the book or so was almost entirely devoted to religious figures or presidents, so the speeches were all very familiar. I particularly enjoyed the elegy for Princess Diana, and "The Perils of Indifference."
Samer Chidiac
Jul 10, 2014 Samer Chidiac rated it it was amazing
It's always good to look back to the speeches that made us go through history. I loved the book as it made me travel in time and learn so much.
Pat Murphy
Aug 04, 2015 Pat Murphy rated it really liked it
A gift from my daughters. You can imagine the content. Some of the speeches I had heard, some not. All very good though.
Patrick Garrett
Jul 30, 2013 Patrick Garrett rated it liked it
I originally bought this book for a seminar on rhetoric. The book, I think, did me more good than the class did, because it has started many great conversations about the power of oratory among people who have come to the house. I constantly return to it as a reference to speeches delivered by speakers from Oppenheimer to Stalin. With so many copies available for such a small price, this would be a great addition to your coffee table--no matter how you take it. On the other hand, it is not autho ...more
SKN83
Apr 26, 2014 SKN83 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very informative and enlightening,
Tyler Bruns
Jan 08, 2014 Tyler Bruns rated it liked it
Many of these speeches changed the world, quelled conflicts, or even started wards. Powerful thing, speech is.
Indhisa
May 10, 2009 Indhisa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody
there's just something about great speakers whose words are so powerful and inspiring. yet too, there's something about great speakers whose charisma is spellbinding while delivering their speeches.

the book is really great for those in the writing industry, or those who simply need to be inspired.
Joredos
Oct 29, 2012 Joredos rated it liked it
I give three stars only for JFK,MLK,Nehru,Teresa and Mandela.Amazing contribution to the mankind.Real people devoted to serve in order for people.Another guys are freemasons and their lies follow another.Their speeches are dust in the eye and not real appeal to freedom.It is exactly opposite.
Kinara Shah
Jan 26, 2013 Kinara Shah rated it really liked it
Not even once in my life, I have doubted the power and influence of words. This book just strengthened it.
No matter what your age, you will find this book inspiring.
Though it could have been made more interesting. Minus one on the part of author.
P.S : This book is perfect for cold nights.
Josefine
You get it all. The background, the timeline, the speech. But I simply could not read it like a normal book. It was - I'm sorry - really boring. I will definitly keep it on my bookshelf, however, I will keep it as a schoolbook and read in it whenever i need specific information.
Michelle
Feb 07, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it
Each speech from Jesus Christ to Barrack Obama has a little history of the person and the reason behind the speech. Though I knew most of the people and their place in history, I had not heard or read most of the speeches. Very interesting.
Whitney
May 05, 2011 Whitney is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I love this sort of stuff, so this is right up my alley. But I wish it went back a little further and including things like Hammurabi's Code...
Yew Siang
Apr 04, 2013 Yew Siang rated it really liked it
Great book collating SOME of the greatest speeches from the greatest/worst people in history. But some speeches are incomplete.
Ben
Oct 19, 2013 Ben rated it really liked it
I read this and found it very insightful, it covers different eras and has some powerful speeches.
Rodrigo
Jan 21, 2016 Rodrigo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: minha-biblioteca
Bons discursos. Boas introduções. E capítulos pequenos que facilitam uma leitura esporádica.
Chas Bayfield
All the expected speeches and a few unsuspected ones. An interesting read.
Balaji Ravichandran
Jan 18, 2016 Balaji Ravichandran rated it liked it
A Nice collection of all the great speeches around the world...
Erotic Horizon
Sep 02, 2008 Erotic Horizon rated it it was amazing
Speeches That Changed the World by Simon Sebag Montefiore (2006)
Niall
Dec 14, 2010 Niall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really interesting read, with something for everyone.
Simon
Mar 25, 2013 Simon rated it really liked it
Thought provoking and worth reading again and again.
Noahmay
Jun 03, 2010 Noahmay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent speeches. A great reference.
Yosia
Jun 22, 2012 Yosia added it
oh yeah..
Jaki Booth
Jaki Booth marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
  • Contending Theories of International Relations: A Comprehensive Survey
  • A Very Short Introduction to Everything
  • Understanding the European Union: A Concise Introduction (European Union)
  • World War II: The Definitive Visual History: From Blitzkrieg to the Atom Bomb
  • Hitler and the Holocaust
  • Communism: A History
  • Peace & War: A Theory of International Relations
  • Political Process and the Development of Black Insurgency, 1930-1970
  • Collected Poems of Thomas Hardy (Wordsworth Poetry) (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
  • Castro
Simon Sebag Montefiore is the author of the prize winning books Jerusalem: the Biography' and Young Stalin and the novels Sashenka and now One Night in Winter. His books are published in over 40 languages and are worldwide bestsellers. He read history at Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge University, where he received his Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD).

The novel One Night in Winter is out now i
More about Simon Sebag Montefiore...