Speeches That Changed the World

Speeches That Changed the World

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  24 reviews
This book contains over 50 momentous and thought-provoking speeches from a wide range of historical eras and nations that will inspire readers and give them a greater understanding of events of the time. Each speech is accompanied by a comprehensive introduction that explains its historical background, why it was significant and what happened as a result.
Published March 30th 2006 by Quercus Publishing Plc (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Speeches That Changed the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speeches That Changed the World

Denis Vukosav
‘Speeches That Changed the World’ prepared by Simon Sebag Montefiore is a collection of forty-eight historic speeches that confirmed, criticized and influenced social changes. The collection represents exceptionally good overview of history, from Jesus of Nazareth to Barack Obama's speech after winning the presidential election.

In collection, among others, can be found speeches of Prophet Mohammed, Oliver Cromwell, George Washington, Susan B. Anthony, Patrick Pearse, Lenin, Gandhi, Hitler, Stali...more
Peter McDonald
This is the best speech book I have because it comes with a set of recording on CD of some of hte modern speeches. It is just electric listening (and reading). Beautifully presented with some great speeches of men and women throughout time. Just love it and highly recommend ikt
Carl
A compilation of influential speeches with poorly written lead ins that fail to give a decent context in which the speeches were given. The speeches themselves are wonderful, but I can't give the book credit for printing abridged versions of better men's words.
Dainius Jocas
Man labiausiai knygoje patiko istorinių asmenybių aprašymai - nauji faktai. Ir pačios istorinės asmenybės parinktos tokios, sakykim, svarbesnės britiškam pasaulio matymui.

Kalbose buvo aptariami visokie svarbūs įvykiai, kuriems, mano galva, neįtikėnai svarbus kontekstas. Pavyzdžiui, vienoje paskutinių knygos kalbų George W. Bush po rugsėjo 11-osios sakė, kad "<..> ir imtis visų įmanomų atsargumo priemonių apsaugoti mūsų piliečius nuo naujų antpuolių tiek tėvynėje, tiek visame pasaulyje." Sk...more
Samer Chidiac
It's always good to look back to the speeches that made us go through history. I loved the book as it made me travel in time and learn so much.
Patrick Garrett
I originally bought this book for a seminar on rhetoric. The book, I think, did me more good than the class did, because it has started many great conversations about the power of oratory among people who have come to the house. I constantly return to it as a reference to speeches delivered by speakers from Oppenheimer to Stalin. With so many copies available for such a small price, this would be a great addition to your coffee table--no matter how you take it. On the other hand, it is not autho...more
SKN83
Very informative and enlightening,
Tyler Bruns
Many of these speeches changed the world, quelled conflicts, or even started wards. Powerful thing, speech is.
Indhisa
May 10, 2009 Indhisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody
there's just something about great speakers whose words are so powerful and inspiring. yet too, there's something about great speakers whose charisma is spellbinding while delivering their speeches.

the book is really great for those in the writing industry, or those who simply need to be inspired.
Joredos
I give three stars only for JFK,MLK,Nehru,Teresa and Mandela.Amazing contribution to the mankind.Real people devoted to serve in order for people.Another guys are freemasons and their lies follow another.Their speeches are dust in the eye and not real appeal to freedom.It is exactly opposite.
Kinara Shah
Not even once in my life, I have doubted the power and influence of words. This book just strengthened it.
No matter what your age, you will find this book inspiring.
Though it could have been made more interesting. Minus one on the part of author.
P.S : This book is perfect for cold nights.
Josefine
Jul 23, 2014 Josefine added it
Shelves: gave-up
You get it all. The background, the timeline, the speech. But I simply could not read it like a normal book. It was - I'm sorry - really boring. I will definitly keep it on my bookshelf, however, I will keep it as a schoolbook and read in it whenever i need specific information.
Michelle
Each speech from Jesus Christ to Barrack Obama has a little history of the person and the reason behind the speech. Though I knew most of the people and their place in history, I had not heard or read most of the speeches. Very interesting.
Whitney
May 05, 2011 Whitney is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I love this sort of stuff, so this is right up my alley. But I wish it went back a little further and including things like Hammurabi's Code...
Yew Siang
Great book collating SOME of the greatest speeches from the greatest/worst people in history. But some speeches are incomplete.
Ben
I read this and found it very insightful, it covers different eras and has some powerful speeches.
Rodrigo
Bons discursos. Boas introduções. E capítulos pequenos que facilitam uma leitura esporádica.
Chas Bayfield
All the expected speeches and a few unsuspected ones. An interesting read.
Erotic Horizon
Speeches That Changed the World by Simon Sebag Montefiore (2006)
Niall
A really interesting read, with something for everyone.
Simon
Thought provoking and worth reading again and again.
Noahmay
Excellent speeches. A great reference.
Yosia
Jun 22, 2012 Yosia added it
oh yeah..
Jake Roese
Jake Roese marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
  • The Tragedy of Great Power Politics
  • Usage and Abusage: A Guide to Good English
  • The Wicked Wit of Winston Churchill
  • Universe: The Definitive Visual Guide
  • Unspeak: How Words Become Weapons, How Weapons Become a Message, and How That Message Becomes Reality
  • The Art of Pixar: 25th Anniv.: The Complete Color Scripts and Select Art from 25 Years of Animation
Simon Sebag Montefiore is the author of the prize winning books Jerusalem: the Biography' and Young Stalin and the novels Sashenka and now One Night in Winter. His books are published in over 40 languages and are worldwide bestsellers. He read history at Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge University, where he received his Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD).

The novel One Night in Winter is out now i...more
More about Simon Sebag Montefiore...
Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar Jerusalem: The Biography Young Stalin Sashenka One Night in Winter: A Novel