Start by marking “The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)” as Want to Read:
The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)

The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Politics are about to become deadly.

As the controversial mayor of the beautiful coastal community of Santa Rite, Madison "Maddy" Glenn likes to face things head-on. But nothing can prepare her for a hostile visit from the chief of police-or his terrible news. Lisa Truccoli, Maddy's friend and the treasurer of her last campaign, has been kidnapped. All that remains at the c
Published September 14th 2004 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about The Incumbent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Incumbent

Kiera Healy
I enjoyed the set-up of this political thriller, but it soon descended into nonsense. The mayor of a small Californian town is embroiled in a mystery when people who worked for her campaign team start disappearing. The resolution is telegraphed early, and is really, really stupid. Like, I can't get over how stupid it is. I feel like I got stupider reading the end of this book. I'm not the most intelligent girl in the world. I can't afford to lose valuable braincells over dumb pieces of writing!

W
Steve
This book would have made a mediocre novella, as it is it makes an awful novel. The plot takes way to long to unfold. It isnt until the last quarter of the book that you actually find out what is going on. There are way to many instances of "filler"; that is, parts of the story that have no point other than to increase page count. This whole novel could have been 50 pages and lost nothing. A very disappointing read.
Lyle Wenger
The book kept my interest, and definitely during the middle of the book, i couldn't put it down. The end seemed anticlimatic, and unfortunately predictable.
Jasmyn
Maddy Glenn is the mayor of a small town, Santa Rita, in California. Small town politics are her daily business until her campaign treasurer is abducted. The only clue is a Madison Glenn business card with 4 drops of blood on it. And of course that's not all. As the crimes continue with more and more clues linking Maddy to the case, things begin to get dangerous. Police escorts, private investigators, angry fathers, and a van that seems to be following her all add up to lots of stress.

I really e
Matt
A cute story whose title got me thinking there would be great political intrigue, but there was not. I do not think I am too far off in calling it 'cute' as it was a quick read, but had little deep drama and the story was basic. While some say they knew who did it in Chapter 3, I just wanted to see why... neither ended up being highly intriguing.

I suppose small town mayors are not meant to have highly political lives, but in this story, it was as though her position was secondary. A hip, young m
Kristopher Mcclanahan
REVIEWS OF UNUSUAL SIZE

---Re--- When Mayor Madison "Maddy" Glenn's confidants, advisors and friends start disappearing mysteriously, with only cryptic clues remaining, and signs that the abductor knows more than they should, Maddy must make a choice. Hide in fear or carry on like she has always done things, confronting the abductions and even a killer bravely and headfirst.

---Outstanding--- This was an interesting idea, and I thought the small town in California where it was set to be very appea
This was a pretty good mystery. It was fast paced and there was some interesting tension between the main character and the lead detective. I'm not sure if this is part of a series, but if not, I thought the characters were well developed enough to continue on. Especially to flesh out that tension I mentioned. Confusing though was the Christian message. I don't know if this book is listed under Christian fiction, as it seemed that the Christian message was just tossed in randomly two or three pl ...more
Jerry
I've read quite a bit of Alton Gansky's works, and, although The Incumbent is good, it isn't as great as some of his other works, especially Dark Moon. The story of The Incumbent was mostly engaging, the writing and characterization were great, and it made for an enjoyable whodunit; however, there were a few tedious spots and the ending felt a bit rushed. Thankfully, Before Another Dies, the next entry in the Madison Glenn series, is an improvement over this premiere novel. Fans of Mr. Gansky's ...more
Dori
This is one of those books that you can't find anything really wrong with; but it also doesn't jump right out and grab you either. I was intrigued by certain elements of the story at various times in regards to the kidnappings and murder. However, I also felt like the more interesting story was the side story of Celeste's father. I kept waiting for it to tie in somehow to the main story but it never really did.
The end was predictable, as well. I don't know that I would recommend it or not. Wasn
Bill
This is published by a Christian book publisher. There really was only one small part that had anything to do with religion and in context with the story it made sense. It was overly smack you in the head preachy as well. The main character is the mayor of a medium sized town, she is a strong minded, independent woman and is interesting as a character. Overall I thought it was pretty good. It was a free Friday pick from BN for the Nook and I'm probably going to read the next one.
Shannon
I enjoyed this book - got if for free from B&N Free Fridays. Can't beat that price. It was a light read but a decent story. The main characters were likeable and the 'bad' characters not likeable...As I neared the end I was thinking the suspect(s) would be introduced late and I would be disappointed but there was a good twist and all was resolved in a pretty satisfactory way. I would recommend this book for anyone that's looking for a light read and enjoys 'mysteries'.
Shane Keener
I enjoyed this book. While the title suggests it will be a political thriller, it was more of a crime story. The gist is that this small town Mayor is connected to several abductions in her town, but can't understand why. I'll leave it at that.

There were some disjointed story lines that you end up wondering why they were included. However, there were some great scenes that left me laughing, incensed and wanting more.
ReaderNation
Kindle freebie I've had for a long time - just getting around to it. So far, it is an easy read. More as time goes by --

Well, time went by. Like I said, it was free - so the price was right. It began well; interesting, and had the potential to be a quality thriller. However, the characters were blah for me, the whole left-field god talk killed it. The end was abrupt with a pretty bow.
Joanne Flanagan
Interesting mystery with a religious/faith based twist at the end. It was so subtle that I don't know why the author added it other than to say it was a religious book. The mystery itself was o.k.
Eva
Loved this particular series from Alton Gansky. Easy reading, enjoyable, but with enough twists to keep it interesting. This series is quite different from his other books which I also like.
Sabrina
I'm not a fan of proselytising. Often quoting scripture and a religious epiphany or conversion is an important part of a story line. Not in this book. I was just annoyed.
Ozzy
Nice crime solving book. Something different from what I usually read but it was interesting enough to keep me wanting to read more until the crime was solved.
Carol
Kindle Freebie Very good first of a series. Entertaining even though I figured out the "bad" guy by the third chapter.
Ona
It was a free e-book from B&N and it shows. Gratuitous proselytizing and stereotyped characters.
John
Good mystery. Well developed plot, and minimal 'adult' content. Thanks for a solid book.
Linda
Apr 28, 2010 Linda added it
As a lover of mysteries, this is a really good one.
Jedrek Kostecki
I can't believe I actually read this book.
Kay Hilling
Predictable, but interesting. A quick read.
Soepodcast Rekoske
Ashlanne mentioned in Podcast 98
Carol Pennie
This was a great story! Quick read.
Eddie Snipes
Great character development.
Taylor Kent
Taylor Kent marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
  • Farraday Road (Lije Evans Mysteries #1)
  • Exposure
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Saving Sailor: A Quirky Girl, A Faithful Dog, and One Unforgettable Summer (A.J., #1)
  • Snow Melts in Spring
  • The Real Enemy
  • The Homeplace
  • The Hunters
  • Hostile Intent (Delvin, #1)
  • Made of Honor
  • Breach of Trust (Call of Duty, #1)
  • Sympathy Between Humans (Sarah Pribek #2)
  • One Night in Boston (One Night, #1)
  • Scent (Sensations, #1)
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
  • Triple Exposure
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • Rooms
Alton Gansky is the author of 30 books--24 of them novels, including the Angel Award winner Terminal Justice and Christy Award finalist A Ship Possessed. A frequent speaker at writing conferences, he holds a BA and MA degrees in biblical studies. Alton and his wife reside in Southern California.
More about Alton Gansky...
A Ship Possessed (J.D. Stanton #1) Vanished (J.D. Stanton #2) Beneath the Ice (Perry Sachs #2) Submerged (Perry Sachs #3) A Treasure Deep (Perry Sachs #1)