1985

1985

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  496 ratings  ·  30 reviews
In characteristically daring style, Anthony Burgess combines two responses to Orwell's 1984 in one book. The first is a sharp analysis: through dialogues, parodies and essays, Burgess sheds new light on what he called 'an apocalyptic codex of our worst fears', creating a critique that is literature in its own right. Part two is Burgess' own dystopic vision, written in 1978...more
Published by Not Avail (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about 1985, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1985

1984 by George Orwell1066 and All That by W.C. Sellar2001 by Arthur C. Clarke1776 by David McCullough1215 by Danny Danziger
When Was That ? Specific Dates in Titles
24th out of 207 books — 59 voters
The World According to Garp by John IrvingA Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'EngleThe Stand by Stephen KingEye of the Needle by Ken FollettRumpole of the Bailey by John Mortimer
Best Books of 1978
9th out of 80 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Greg
I came across a reference to this book while thumbing through a biography on Anthony Burgess about five years ago. Since then I have kept my eyes opened looking in used book stores and those kinds of places for a copy of the book. I could have probably found the book to buy online, but I rarely ever do that kind of thing for myself. Last week though in a semi-ironic act I actually went to a library and saw that they had the book, so I took it out and finally got the read it.

The structure of the...more
Matthew
It is always interesting to see one good author's take on another. In this case Anthony Burgess, author of A Clockwork Orange and The Wanting Seed, evaluates and criticizes George Orwell's 1984. After extensive interviews and essays on the nature of Orwell's seminal work, Burgess pens his own short novella, entitled 1985 (to avoid plagiarism, so he says.) Burgess's view of the cacotopian future is much closer to his own vantage point in strike plagued late 70's Britain, than was Orwell's in the...more
Rex Cherry
Right-wing garbage. The loathsome politics seem to have adversely affected the quality of Burgess' writing as well.
Daniel Moskowitz
Geesus Christ!! Was that a richful Fucking waster. This Book has nothing, i repeat, NOTHING to do with 1984. It's a dystopian, or a Burgess wants it to be called Cacotopian, novel like 1984 and that's about it.

The book spends the first half, HALF!!!, in a review/critique of 1984 and how in the years since its inception how things have changed and how Orwell would write his vision if he did in '75 or whenever this book was written. But it doesn't even do that well.

It just rambles about the times...more
Christian Orr
Essentially, two books in one: (1) A thought-provoking and intellectually-stimulating critique & analysis of George Orwell's "1984"and (2) a mini-novel that's not so much a sequel as a re-write of "1984" With both segments, Anthony Burgess (of "A Clockwork Orange" fame) has the benefit of 30 years of hindsight that Orwell did not have, i.e. 1978 vs. 1948 (remember, Orwell originally intended to title his most famous work "1948," and only changed it to "1984" as the last minute after a sugges...more
Gemma Williams
This is Anthony Burgess' response to 1984. The first half is made up of critical essays dealing with the themes of the original and is fascinating. I especially liked the way Burgess takes on Orwell's portrayal of the proles as an inert mass and the way he sentimentalises them. But this isn't an attack on 1984, its a good indepth critical discussion.
The second half is Burgess' short novel 1985 - his version of the story. This view of the future involves a tyranny of trade unions, and enforced eq...more
Mohamed Elsonpaty
رواية معارضة لرائعة جورج أورويل 1984 تتصور فيها العرب والمسلمين قوة فاعلة غي العالم بفعل إحكامها على النفط ومن ثم المال.. الرواية فكرية بدرجة كبيرة حتى فقدت الرواية روائيتها.. إمتاع الرواية يأتي من فكرة قراءة رواية عام 2013 كتبت عام 1978 تتخيل فيه العالم عام 1985 !!!

على الهامش (الرواية بتصور العرب قوة جامدة أوي وبتغير في العالم كله بفلوسها وبترولها .. الكاتب مكنش يعرف اللي فيها جتنا نيلة!)
Raimo Wirkkala
It was a nice try at the time but, in retrospect, Burgess' vision of trade unions taking over England looks a little silly today. All in all, Orwell's harrowing fascist world of "1984" is the more compelling and, even today, the more plausible.
That being said, the novel is a good read and the preceding material about "1984" is very interesting.
Hodgesensei
Burgess successfully predicts what Orwell cannot: the hyper-sexualization of youth and the breakdown of family, the unionization of governmental agencies, and the Islamization of England. Sound familiar? And yet this was written in the 1970's!

The question is, is America next?
Derek Baldwin
A kind of pastiche/homage to Orwell's 1984. It doesn't bear the comparison too well but it's an interesting book. However I think that the thrust of Burgess's satire was already made far more potently in A Clockwork Orange and this doesn't add all that much.
Brent Legault
A sloppily-written, half-assed, woefully-conceived agenda piece. Burgess should have been publicly shamed for writing such vomit. And maybe he would have been, had he but lifted his nose out of his typewriter.
Bluecityladyy
If you have a bookshelf of books to read, put this one on the bottom shelf.
Adam Stone
Fascinating read. Recommended.
Ivana
Sep 22, 2013 Ivana added it
Shelves: science-fiction
The work of a pure genius.
Knjigoholičarka
Burgess-ova "1985" sastoji se iz dva dela: analitičke studije o Orvelovoj "1984" i Bardžisove novele o distopijskoj viziji godeine 1985-te.

Sam analitički deo mi se dopao, iako se sa pojedinim Burgess-ovim stavovima baš i ne slažem. Uprkos tome, neki njegovi zaključci su naprosto sjajni, dok pojedini teraju na razmišljanje. A svako razmišljanje je, složićete se, korisno. Takođe, u ovom delu tada je i analiza društvenih događanja i previranja U Britaniji tokom četrdesetih godina, kao i povodi i i...more
Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1985:]. The first half of this volume is an interesting, occasionally incisive, albeit somewhat fragmented analysis of Orwell's 1984. It also serves, of course, as an indirect introduction of Burgess's own bleak novel, which forms the second half of the book. Burgess, whose views occasionally spill too far to the right for my tastes, premises that it is not a totalitarian state but unionism taken to its extreme which deprives the individual of his liberties, and sometim...more
gauldy
Kniha se symbolickým názvem od autora geniálního Mechanického pomeranče, která už až tak jedinečná není. A vlastně je to ironie, protože Burgess s odstupem času mluví zrovna o Pomeranči jako o laciné knížce.

Burgessova kniha se dělí do dvou částí - dalo by se prakticky říct na 1984 a 1985.
První polovina je odbornou statí pojednávající o nejslavnějším díle George Orwella, které nese stejný název. Dozvíme se, co geniálního Brita vedlo k napsání své dystopické vize, jakou má spojitost s poválečným...more
Kaethe
I think I'm the only one who's ever read this, but I loved Burgess' effort and his essay on 1984. I found it on the new books shelf at the UNCG library, where, geek that I am, I was hanging out with my boyfriend in high school. We'd just go and sit and read, or look up old Rolling Stones on microfiche. I picked a lot of random books of the shelf then and sat there, reading them. come to think of it, I probably spent more time just hanging out there in high school than I did in college, when I co...more
Aaron the Pink Donut
Really two books in one. The first part is a group of essays on 1984, its themes and language. Really great stuff. These essays alone would be worth the admission price. The second half is Burgess take on the theme: “1985” the jacket made it out to be a sequel, but it is really a slightly different beast from 1984. Not as flushed out in scope as Orwell’s vision. Burgess’s dystopia is a more practical one in certain aspects but not as frightening or as well thought out as Orwell’s. Not Burgess’s...more
Eoin Madigan
The first half of the book is a half-baked critique of Orwell's 1984. The second half is a novella seemingly written in response to 1984. It is quite poorly written and also half-baked. A frustratingly shallow read.
Joe
Read this when I was 12 or so, right after I read "1984" for the first time. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me then. In hindsight, neither did "1984", but it felt like it did much more than this book.

I'm 40 now, and I just reread "1984", for probably the 20th time, so I figured it might be a good time to revisit "1985". I've always liked Burgess, but I haven't read much of his stuff in a long time.
Chris
Mr. Burgess should have recognized that when it took him a hundred pages to criticize 1984 that he was in fact proving what a great novel it was. He even had to have another go at it in an epilogue. Give it up. 1984 is a great novel.

The novella 1985 is not. Not a whole lot of effort went into it.

Some of the criticism is insightful, but much of it is off the mark.
H Hammer
Of course anything by Burgess is better than most, so keep that in mind when you see the 3 stars I give this book. However, although normally I only read fiction and have not read any of his non-fiction, I loved Part 1 (1984) which is an amazing critique of Orwel's novel. Part 2, Burgess's own novel,a was not as amazing.
Ben Aaronovitch
I remember, it has been more than 20 years since I read this, that the essay that makes up the first half is fascinating and that the novella, the second half, serves as a text-book example as to why trying to create a plausible near future dystopia is always a hiding to nothing.
Maureen
This book is both a critical essay about Orwell's "1984," as well as a short novel acting as a sequel to Orwell's book. I found the essay a great companion to "1984"; I was not as impressed with the novella though.
Andrew
Only Anthony Burgess would try and rewrite 1985. The first half is a bunch of essays concerning 1984. Probably my favorite part of the book. The second half is Burgess's "rewrite" of 1984...not my cup of tea.
Myke
The critical essays on Orwell's 1984 were a good read but i can't say i thought much of Burgess' sequel to the original 1984.
Ahmed Diab
قرأت النسخة العربية منه بعنوان المسلمون قادمون لانتونى بيرجس كتاب جيد
Serge
Sep 05, 2008 Serge is currently reading it
now i know what comes after 1984
  • Bloodbrothers
  • The Kremlin Device (Geordie Sharp, #3)
  • The Paper Men
  • Literature: An Introduction to Reading and Writing
  • The Planiverse: Computer Contact with a Two-Dimensional World
  • Limbo
  • In Front of Your Nose: 1945-1950 (The Collected Essays, Journalism & Letters, Vol. 4)
  • A Modern Utopia
  • The Millstone
  • The Unteleported Man
  • Red Cell (Rogue Warrior, #2)
  • Dubbelspel
  • Het theater, de brief en de waarheid: een tegenspraak
  • Celtic Myths and Legends (Myths of the World)
  • De grote wereld
  • The Undutchables: An Observation of the Netherlands: Its Culture and Its Inhabitants
  • The Way Things Look to Me
  • We're in Trouble
Anthony Burgess was a British novelist, critic and composer. He was also a librettist, poet, playwright, screenwriter, essayist, travel writer, broadcaster, translator, linguist and educationalist. Born in Manchester, he lived for long periods in Southeast Asia, the USA and Mediterranean Europe as well as in England. His fiction includes the Malayan trilogy (The Long Day Wanes) on the dying days o...more
More about Anthony Burgess...
A Clockwork Orange The Wanting Seed Earthly Powers The Doctor is Sick A Dead Man in Deptford