Cole Porter

Cole Porter

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In his life and in his music, Cole Porter was "the top"—the pinnacle of wit, sophistication, and success. His songs—"I Get a Kick Out of You," "Anything Goes," and hundreds more—were instant pop hits, and their musical and emotional depths have made them lasting standards.

William McBrien has captured the creator of these songs, whose life was not merely one of wealth and p...more
Published December 5th 2000 by Vintage (first published October 6th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Cole Porter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cole Porter

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldThe Sun Also Rises by Ernest HemingwayA Moveable Feast by Ernest HemingwayParis France by Gertrude SteinThe Waste Land by T.S. Eliot
Midnight in Paris
30th out of 60 books — 27 voters
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom RiggsAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtAtonement by Ian McEwanThe Things They Carried by Tim O'BrienThe Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
Shades of Gray
74th out of 108 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

David
The very best bio of the great songwriter, and the only one who gets all the boyfriends mentioned.

A must read. Why? Well as Cole would say "You don't sing enough, you don't dance enough, you don't drink the great wines of France enough. You're not wild enough, you're not gay enough, you don't let me lead you astray enough."
Margaret
I'm of two minds about this biography. On the one hand, it's clearly well-researched and tries to offer a well-rounded portrait of Porter, with all due respect for his musical and literary genius and sympathy for his personal issues (though less for his wife Linda, whom I felt didn't get enough space).

On the other hand, it's simply poorly written. The narrative flow is choppy and interspersed with irrelevant factoids. The prose is stilted and excessively formal, with formulations like "[t]hey qu...more
David
I can't put my finger on what's lacking from this biography. The language isn't particularly noteworthy but it's good enough. Maybe it's Cole Porter himself: a very talented rich guy who wrote some of the most popular and memorable songs in the English language -- a great entertainer, which is an extremely valuable thing, but mostly he devoted himself to enjoying himself, partying and living the high life, a number of doomed love affairs, a snob who was also very generous to his friends, a homos...more
Cathy Day
If you love Cole Porter, read this book alongside George Eells THE LIFE THAT LATE HE LED. McBrien's biography is incredibly thorough; he tracked down many, many people who knew Cole. Eells, however, was friends with Cole, and it shows in his biography, published shortly after Cole's death. The problem, of course, is that Eells never mentions that his subject was gay. Twenty years later, McBrien's book fills in that gap (and a few others) in wonderfully readable ways.
Demi
Very helpful for someone who wanted to know the true Cole - not just the man of De-Lovely. Learned much about his life both with his male lovers and his wife, Linda, as well as the success of his music, his relationships with his colleagues, and above all, the incessant and endearing dandyism that went along with his clever personality.

Truly engaging.
Chris
This is an interesting biography of Cole Porter; arguably the definitive one: well-researched and authoritative. While McBrien does a good job of detailing Porter's lifestyle and explaining his loving but sexless marriage, you learn little about the approach Porter took to songwriting or about his historical importance as a composer.
Michael Armijo
This is simply a ride down memory lane.

I was more curious about Cole Porter's life because I, too, am in love with the lyrics and music he created. Songs like ANYTHING GOES, YOU'RE THE TOP, I LOVE PARIS to name a few are classics to no end. I like a book that takes me back in time, but I'd prefer a good story. I was a bit disappointed how the book became too informational with naming of who's who and who did what vs. a classic story. There are definitely stories behind the stories that would be...more
Jill Hutchinson
I'm not sure why I didn't particularly like this book. I am interested in Porter and his music......wonderful songs which have become a part of American popular music history and are still enjoyed today. But, the book did not keep my attention.....was it the writing style, the overuse of lyrics in the text, the not-very likable persona of the subject?.....I don't know but I was disappointed. There was an overabundance of people in Porter's life and they are all here....some you know, some you do...more
KJ
On the plus side, any biography of one of America's finest songwriters has to be worth a read and McBrien has the advantage of being able to reveal what was previously hidden about Porter's life, i.e. his pool parties and numerous homosexual liaisons.

On the minus side, McBrien's style is truly NOT a thing of beauty. Using absurd archaisms like 'cicerone', he writes like an elderly opera queen on a spree.
Ronald
Excellent in-depth narrative of his life.
Susan
He is my favorite musical composer. I read this book to learn more about his life and work. I thought this was a good biography of a man who led a very complicated life, but at the same time created AWESOME musical theatre.
Barbara
I enjoyed learning more about Cole Porter and his life, music, and lyrics. I felt that the book moved a little slow sometimes, but overall if you're a fan of Porter's work, an interesting read.
Shawn Thrasher
I finished this one, but I'm not sure why. Cole Porter's life was interesting; I think the hints of gay sex and orgies kept me reading. The author is an awful name dropper.
Claudia
Very dry look at Cole Porter's life & work.
Jesse Bornemann
Aug 06, 2011 Jesse Bornemann marked it as to-read
i heart cole
Frank
Frank marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Alex Duarte
Alex Duarte marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Britt
Britt marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Joel
Joel is currently reading it
Jun 10, 2014
Adrian
Adrian marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
TravelJunkie
TravelJunkie marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Hope
Hope marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Me Again: Uncollected Writings of Stevie Smith Stevie: A Biography of Stevie Smith Stevie Smith: A Bibliography