Start by marking “Cole Porter” as Want to Read:
Cole Porter

Cole Porter

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  111 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
In his life and in his music, Cole Porter was "the top"—the pinnacle of wit, sophistication, and success. His songs—"I Get a Kick Out of You," "Anything Goes," and hundreds more—were instant pop hits, and their musical and emotional depths have made them lasting standards.

William McBrien has captured the creator of these songs, whose life was not merely one of wealth and p
Published December 5th 2000 by Vintage (first published October 6th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Cole Porter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cole Porter

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom RiggsAtonement by Ian McEwanCoraline by Neil GaimanGray Street by A. WoodThe Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
Shades of Gray
33rd out of 314 books — 24 voters
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldA Moveable Feast by Ernest HemingwayThe Sun Also Rises by Ernest HemingwayA Farewell to Arms by Ernest HemingwayThe Waste Land by T.S. Eliot
Midnight in Paris
33rd out of 61 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

La Tonya  Jordan
Jul 23, 2016 La Tonya Jordan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to La Tonya by: Palladium Bookies
Shelves: good-read
This book had a slow start for the first 100 pages. The book starts to get interesting when Cole graduates from Yale and starts his musical career. The life of Cole Porter was complex and high society. The lifestyle of the fabulous wealthy in the era of the early 1900's was that of servants, travel, luxuries, automobiles, on-going parties, etc. that this country may never see again. Cole Porter was raised in this lifestyle; therefore, finding defeat in his choice career in the beginning was humb ...more
Margaret
Mar 21, 2011 Margaret rated it it was ok
I'm of two minds about this biography. On the one hand, it's clearly well-researched and tries to offer a well-rounded portrait of Porter, with all due respect for his musical and literary genius and sympathy for his personal issues (though less for his wife Linda, whom I felt didn't get enough space).

On the other hand, it's simply poorly written. The narrative flow is choppy and interspersed with irrelevant factoids. The prose is stilted and excessively formal, with formulations like "[t]hey qu
David
Feb 15, 2008 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The very best bio of the great songwriter, and the only one who gets all the boyfriends mentioned.

A must read. Why? Well as Cole would say "You don't sing enough, you don't dance enough, you don't drink the great wines of France enough. You're not wild enough, you're not gay enough, you don't let me lead you astray enough."
Thomas Armstrong
Dec 18, 2014 Thomas Armstrong rated it liked it
I enjoyed this biography of Cole Porter. It was a fun read, vicariously living his sophisticated, urbane, cosmopolitan life along with all his eminent and eccentric friends. Call me naive, but I didn't know he was homosexual and that his marriage was a non-sexual union. Porter seemed to enjoy his gay lifestyle, but it must have been very trying to have to separate that life from his public and marriage life. I picked up the book because I've enjoyed his songs, especially Begin the Beguine (mysti ...more
Cathy Day
If you love Cole Porter, read this book alongside George Eells THE LIFE THAT LATE HE LED. McBrien's biography is incredibly thorough; he tracked down many, many people who knew Cole. Eells, however, was friends with Cole, and it shows in his biography, published shortly after Cole's death. The problem, of course, is that Eells never mentions that his subject was gay. Twenty years later, McBrien's book fills in that gap (and a few others) in wonderfully readable ways.
Demi
Jan 13, 2009 Demi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amaaaaaazing
Very helpful for someone who wanted to know the true Cole - not just the man of De-Lovely. Learned much about his life both with his male lovers and his wife, Linda, as well as the success of his music, his relationships with his colleagues, and above all, the incessant and endearing dandyism that went along with his clever personality.

Truly engaging.
Michael Armijo
Nov 02, 2010 Michael Armijo rated it liked it
This is simply a ride down memory lane.

I was more curious about Cole Porter's life because I, too, am in love with the lyrics and music he created. Songs like ANYTHING GOES, YOU'RE THE TOP, I LOVE PARIS to name a few are classics to no end. I like a book that takes me back in time, but I'd prefer a good story. I was a bit disappointed how the book became too informational with naming of who's who and who did what vs. a classic story. There are definitely stories behind the stories that would be
David
Jun 28, 2010 David rated it liked it
I can't put my finger on what's lacking from this biography. The language isn't particularly noteworthy but it's good enough. Maybe it's Cole Porter himself: a very talented rich guy who wrote some of the most popular and memorable songs in the English language -- a great entertainer, which is an extremely valuable thing, but mostly he devoted himself to enjoying himself, partying and living the high life, a number of doomed love affairs, a snob who was also very generous to his friends, a homos ...more
Chris
Aug 20, 2008 Chris rated it liked it
This is an interesting biography of Cole Porter; arguably the definitive one: well-researched and authoritative. While McBrien does a good job of detailing Porter's lifestyle and explaining his loving but sexless marriage, you learn little about the approach Porter took to songwriting or about his historical importance as a composer.
Jill Hutchinson
I'm not sure why I didn't particularly like this book. I am interested in Porter and his music......wonderful songs which have become a part of American popular music history and are still enjoyed today. But, the book did not keep my attention.....was it the writing style, the overuse of lyrics in the text, the not-very likable persona of the subject?.....I don't know but I was disappointed. There was an overabundance of people in Porter's life and they are all here....some you know, some you do ...more
Sarah Alawami
Sep 07, 2015 Sarah Alawami rated it really liked it
An exhaustive biography of the famous composer is what this is. Iv'e always wanted to know more about him, and you get to know a lot more in this worth wile read.
Michael Pearce
Apr 14, 2016 Michael Pearce rated it liked it
I love his music and he was certainly an interesting character. This book, however, was poorly written and difficult to read. There were so many details that were simply not interesting and about minor characters - so unnecessary. A tighter piece of writing would have made this a much more enjoyable read.
Violet
Oct 01, 2015 Violet rated it really liked it
very slow, very honest, you have to really be a Cole Porter fan to dig through this one
KJ
Sep 08, 2012 KJ rated it liked it
On the plus side, any biography of one of America's finest songwriters has to be worth a read and McBrien has the advantage of being able to reveal what was previously hidden about Porter's life, i.e. his pool parties and numerous homosexual liaisons.

On the minus side, McBrien's style is truly NOT a thing of beauty. Using absurd archaisms like 'cicerone', he writes like an elderly opera queen on a spree.
Ronald
Jun 26, 2014 Ronald rated it really liked it
Excellent in-depth narrative of his life.
Susan
Aug 22, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
He is my favorite musical composer. I read this book to learn more about his life and work. I thought this was a good biography of a man who led a very complicated life, but at the same time created AWESOME musical theatre.
Barbara
I enjoyed learning more about Cole Porter and his life, music, and lyrics. I felt that the book moved a little slow sometimes, but overall if you're a fan of Porter's work, an interesting read.
Shawn Thrasher
Oct 23, 2013 Shawn Thrasher rated it it was ok
I finished this one, but I'm not sure why. Cole Porter's life was interesting; I think the hints of gay sex and orgies kept me reading. The author is an awful name dropper.
Joel
Sep 01, 2014 Joel rated it liked it
Interesting book though waay too much name dropping of those in the elite circles Porter frequented.
Claudia
May 31, 2010 Claudia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very dry look at Cole Porter's life & work.
Jesse Bornemann
Aug 06, 2011 Jesse Bornemann marked it as to-read
i heart cole
Jerry Drook
Jerry Drook is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Sam
Sam added it
Jul 18, 2016
Faz
Faz marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Marsha
Marsha marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Teresa Ramseur
Teresa Ramseur marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
John Winston
John Winston marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Juliana
Juliana marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Saarah
Saarah marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
  • Really the Blues
  • Good Night and Good Riddance: How Thirty-Five Years of John Peel Helped to Shape Modern Life
  • Moondog, The Viking of 6th Avenue: The Authorized Biography
  • Always Magic in the Air: The Bomp and Brilliance of the Brill Building Era
  • I Celebrate Myself: The Somewhat Private Life of Allen Ginsberg
  • Can't You Hear Me Calling: The Life Of Bill Monroe, Father Of Bluegrass
  • Deconstructing Sammy: Music, Money, Madness, and the Mob
  • Howling at the Moon: The Odyssey of a Monstrous Music Mogul in an Age of Excess
  • The Man Comes Around: The Spiritual Journey of Johnny Cash
  • Heroes And Villains: The True Story Of The Beach Boys
  • Leonard Bernstein
  • Songwriters On Songwriting: Revised And Expanded
  • Million Dollar Bash: Bob Dylan, the Band, and the Basement Tapes
  • The Shakespeare Riots: Revenge, Drama, and Death in Nineteenth-Century America