True Magick: A Beginner's Guide

True Magick: A Beginner's Guide

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  851 ratings  ·  24 reviews
How to incorporate ethics in magickal workings as well as in everyday life. Learn how to find an ethical teacher; how to strengthen magick through a healthy lifestyle; how to prepare for rituals; how to raise, channel and ground magical power and more.
Published January 8th 1990 by Llewellyn Publications (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about True Magick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Magick

Sec
Aug 15, 2013 Sec rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sec by: 444
I guess I’d like to start with the “good points” of the book, such as putting all the correspondence related items in the back of the book or opening up the discussion about how to try to deal with things from your childhood that may be affecting you now (like going to a fucking doctor and having professionals who have licenses help you and support you). And the few and far between good points in this book which are more like common helpful nuggets of advice. However, that does not mean this boo...more
Sara
Some very basic information about magical energy and such.
But a little too "new-age-y" for me.
Plus, I just can't spell magic with a k and not feel a little pretentious. Sorry. 8(
Mical
This was the first book I picked up when I began to explore alternative faiths and religions. The language is warm and open and the author encourages spiritual awareness and health more than anything. I highly recommend it to anyone, regardless of religion for its' insightful look at spiritual health and well being.
Robyn
This is one of the first books on Pagan practice that I picked up, and I found it to be a wonderful introduction. Pretty much all of the important stuff is in here, from the holidays and spell casting, to the ethical foundations of the religion. There is even a section explaining other earth based and magical paths, though it does not go into heavy detail. If you are curious about Magick, or paganism, this is a good start. I really felt as though I understood the basics of these ideas when I had...more
Kosjitov
Amber K's True Magic is certainly a book that I would recommend to the true beginner witch and seeker.

Of particular interest to me was that it explained a good range of magic systems/styles, how to prepare yourself for magic, and cautions the beginner what NOT to attempt on their own. This last is often neglected or omitted from other books and for that reason alone I felt the book was worth more than just the "It's OK" two stars.

The problems that keep it from being higher is that I don't like...more
Feen
The best book on true wicca I have come across. It doesn't deal much with "spells" and nonsense; it discusses the inner "magick" energy and will that we all have to change our lives for the better. Not by words or potions or burning herbs, but by figuring out what type of life will make you happy and focusing on how to accomplish that goal using your own strengths. Focus is the key and those things can help you focus, but they won't do the job for you. Amber K is the intelligent person's guru fo...more
Elizabeth
The book emphasizes magic's spiritual potential over its practical application. I'm guessing this is why the book isn't much of a magical "cookbook"—the author hasn't spent much time writing up one-size-fits-all spells for you to chant thoughtlessly. But over the course of the entire book, this left me wishing Amber K would slow down on discussing ethics, improving your health, the three-part model of the self, balancing the elemental star, etc., and go into further detail on how to sense energi...more
Josh Mcclanahan
This book was given to me by a friend when I expressed interest in his religion. I found it to be incredibly informative and an excellent introduction into the Wiccan lifestyle. After further studies of various traditions I realized that it truly was a "Beginner's Guide" though and would suggest it only to people who are new to the religion.

As it was the book that began an entire chapter of my life, I rate it rather high. Even though I no longer hold the beliefs I once did, this book will always...more
Anony-miss a-non-y-miss
This is what I've been looking for!

A lovely, easy-to-understand guide. Being new at Wicca, I find this guide (mostly for anyone who practices magick in general) a practical guide that helps me ease into my magickal endeavors and rituals. It explains the basic dos and dont's, how to do a spell, how to chew and process other spell books, etc.

I love this book, and I'm still reading it!
Alan
Nov 02, 2007 Alan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning Wiccans/Witches and Elders
Shelves: refer-to-often
While it is a "101" style book, this book can be an absolutely excellent reminder to those of us who have been Witches for a long while. We sometimes forget to remember how gifted we are, how wonderful it can be to work magick, and the fundamentals involved in working effective magick. This book is an excellent reader for both Elder and Studen alike.
Rebecca Volterman
I think this is an essential book for any Pagan or Wiccan to read. The author lays out the fondation of why we practice magic beautifuly and simply. She also gives help in balanceing your energys and finding your style of magic practice. I could go on and on about this book after having read it twice. It is one I will refer back to many times.
Jamie Mustard
This is the first book that I have read on my journey to the Pagan/Wiccan. Very good book for beginners and it has taught me a lot about myself and it has put meaning to things that I already believed in but didn't understand. I recommend to anyone as a first read if your looking to learn more about Pagan/Wiccan beliefs.
Harmony Chezum
An amazing book, very easy to read with a fresh and enigmatic look at wiccanism. Good for both beginners as well as the more advanced practitioner, True Magick, is a fresh look at the energies that surround us, and the power within us all to make our lives a happier and better place to live.
Wade
Personally, I greatly approve of this books *initial* appearance on the Pagan book-scene (published a little over fifteen-years ago, now); rather than it's more recent incarnation, due to the amount of confounding New Age nonsense that it presently contains!
Marika Charalambous
It's actually a good introduction to magick for the total newbie. There are many gems to be found in this book, no matter what type of magick you're practicing or path you're walking (Wiccan or not, pagan or not).
Morgan Lee-Anne
Is a very good book about the basics of magick and how it can effect your life -- and how you can use it to help yourself and others in a positive way. A very good book so far.
Naytari Oak
Very good! I met Amber K at Panthea Con where I bought her book. I would recommend as a first book to read if interested in learning the craft.
R. C.
One of the many 101 books I expect to read as I search for books I can give to my kids on Pagan topics.
Kari
This is a classic book! I highly recommend this book for anyone wanting to know more about Magick.
Kerr Cuhulain
An excellent book for those staring out in Pagan spirituality. I highly recommend it.
Arlene Allen
Probably one of the best books on pagan practice and magick, ever.
Crystal Vassil
Jan 31, 2008 Crystal Vassil rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Beginners to the path of Wicca
Shelves: religion
Great guide for beginners.
Karen
great beginners book
Jessica
Nov 15, 2011 Jessica is currently reading it
Halfway done.. great informative book. Easy to read thus far.
Sherri Fletcher
Sherri Fletcher marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Jerome Roberts
Jerome Roberts marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
  • Moon Magick: Myth & Magic, Crafts & Recipes, Rituals & Spells
  • The Truth About Witchcraft Today
  • Wicca: A Year and a Day: 366 Days of Spiritual Practice in the Craft of the Wise
  • Embracing the Moon: A Witch's Guide to Rituals, Spellcraft and Shadow Work
  • The Encyclopedia of Magickal Ingredients: A Wiccan Guide to Spellcasting
  • Wicca For One: The Path Of Solitary Witchcraft
  • The Elements of Ritual: Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle
  • Green Witchcraft: Folk Magic, Fairy Lore & Herb Craft
  • To Stir a Magick Cauldron: Witch's Guide to Casting and Conjuring (RavenWolf to)
  • The Inner Temple of Witchcraft: Magick, Meditation and Psychic Development (Temple of Witchcraft, #1)
  • Natural Magic
  • A Witch's Guide To Faery Folk: How to Work With the Elemental World
  • Natural Witchery: Intuitive, Personal & Practical Magick
  • The Circle Within: Creating a Wiccan Spiritual Tradition
Amber K is an author of books about magick, Wicca and Neopaganism, and a third degree priestess of the Wiccan faith. She was initiated at the Temple of the Pagan Way in Chicago, Illinois and served on the Council of Elders there, and has taught the Craft throughout the United States and Europe for over 24 years. She has served as National First Officer of the Covenant of the Goddess for three term...more
More about Amber K...
Coven Craft: Witchcraft for Three or More Candlemas: Feast of Flames Ritualcraft: Creating Rites for Transformation and Celebration How to Become a Witch: The Path of Nature, Spirit & Magick Heart of Tarot: An Intuitive Approach