Start by marking “Flux” as Want to Read:
Flux

Flux (Xeelee Sequence #3)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  738 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Star Humans are microscopic, but their hopes and fears, and loves, are not. And the future of humans everywhere, on Earth and among the stars, depends on their courage in the face of attack by the mighty Xeelee, owners of the Universe.

A novel of the Xeelee Sequence from the acknowledged heir to the visionary legacy of Clarke and Wells, heralding a new Golden Age in scienc

Published December 6th 1993 by Collins (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Flux, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flux

Apatt
I try to read most books without reading the synopsis first, it is more fun discovering the story that way, but for Stephen Baxter’s books this never work out. Baxter has an immense imagination backed by a profound knowledge of science. He is also quite a good storyteller, definitely an ideal combo for writing hard sci-fi… but! I suspect he may find it difficult to conceive how little the layman understand scientific principles that he takes for granted. I imagine he hasn’t been a layman since t ...more
Kane
I wanted to like this book, I really did. But I didn't. It's certainly not because I don't enjoy hard sf. Far from it. The first two in Baxter's Xeelee sequence, while far from literary triumphs, at least kept my attention and were fun to read. I have to admit that after 160 pages of Flux, I was forced to do something I never do: skim through sections until I hit some meat, which was much closer to the end of the story than I would have liked. I didn't care about any of the storylines except one ...more
Jason
3 Stars

Flux by Stephen Baxter, Book 3 in the Xeelee sequence, did not live up to the first two novels. I made a huge mistake in that I should have never moved on to this book after immediately having read Timelike Infinity. I absolutely loved that book and was thrilled with the hard science, deep philosophy, and great characters. With such an emotional impact, I should have waited a bit to move on to this book. I am giving this read 3 stars only because the world building is that good.

It is sad
Chris
Incredible. Life inside the mantle of a star, where breathable "Air" is actually more nearly a liquid than a gas with a density nearly identical to a human body, where "humans" essentially swim instead of walk. In addition to the hard science fiction aspects, I really enjoyed the contrast between the primitive but wise outsiders with the cultured but ignorant people of the city.

I've enjoyed Baxter's novels, but this was the best so far. The climax kept pushing until the end, and the story had so
Helen
I loved the concept of this book, I loved the world and the "humans" in it and the feeling of a deep strangeness, of reading about a totally alien culture, at first without being aware of it. But it was so tiring! I know a little bit about quantum physics and possible ways of space travel and this was not the first example of excellent and well-researched science fiction I read. But I'm not a physicist, I don't have the energy to read every page of a book about 10 times until I finally understan ...more
Arnab
Here's a memorable quote from the book -

"Painfully slow,..." There. Yes. That's a quote. From the book. I'm not gonna give the context, since I think it is never out of place in the ENTIRE book, the storyline being good for about 1/5th or even 1/10th of its size.

And the science. It is all off. Flux lines! Flux lines can't hit you! They are not discrete as implied in the story multiple times. Smelling photons. Impossible because it depends on a faster than light physiology. Not to mention instant
Jose Solis
Me gustó mucho mas esta novela que las dos anteriores de la serie (Raft, Timelike Infinity). La premisa es intrigante: una comunidad de seres humanos viviendo dentro de una estrella de neutrones. Por supuesto, la historia lleva relación con el tema mas amplio de los enigmáticos Xelee y sus mega proyectos galácticos... Muy recomendable.
Roddy Williams
Peter
Promising but, disappointing: The most striking thing about this novel is the setting. The events take place within a thin layer just below the surface of a neutron star.

Somehow, life is possible within this environment and the main characters are a tiny race of beings created by humans to be able to live in the environment.

Within this world, the author creates a preindustrial society whose attitudes bear an odd resemblance to those on the planet Norfolk in Peter Hamilton's "Night's Dawn" series

Ardee
Innovative projection of the future of humanity, but kind of a mish mash as a novel. The characters are so-so, the real focus of the book is that they're microscopic, and genetically engineered to live in an unnatural environment. Once that idea is spelled out, it's mainly the interaction of the characters to keep you involved, and Baxter isn't that great at dialog or interpersonal development. You really don't care about any of the characters, their emotions are so repressed. When you finally g ...more
Todd
Yes, there are some very questionable "scientific" ideas in this book, but then again, any sufficiently advanced technology would seem like magic to us, yadda yadda yadda. :) Ignoring that to a certain extent, this was a fascinating idea told with all of Baxter's usual flair.
Tfitoby
The third book in Stephen Baxter's Xeelee sequence is his most straight forward and entertaining book of the three so far. Gone is the overwhelming physics info dumps, replaced with an Asimov-esque adventure tale, a story of a culture clash and the exploration of similar themes to the effect of the Empire in Asimov's universe.
Kieren Bonner
i really enjoyed this book i have been working through the entire xeelee sequence and this book really helped me grasp a deeper understanding of the universe that stephen baxter has built.
Lee Belbin
About a 200m spherical world inhabited by 'humans'. Some 'steam punk' aspects. The usual comparisons of 'modern' vs tribal worlds. Easily put down.
Misanthropist
Read as part of the Xeelee, an omnibus volume. Review in Spanish: http://hiyokonojinsei.dreamwidth.org/...
Rob Katovcic
Not as gripping as the previous two in the series.
David Ramirer
stephen baxter kann wirklich gute science fiction schreiben, das hat er in etlichen büchern eindrucksvoll unter beweis gestellt. hier allerdings hat er danebengetroffen und ein restlos aufgeblasenes miniaturuniversum geschaffen. die story könnte verlustfrei auf die hälfte entdampft werden und wäre immer noch langweilig. schade: das lesen dieses buches war zeitverschwendung.
Andreas
As he did in Raft, Baxter plays with an idea in this novel. Heavily modified humans have colonized the mantle of a neutron star. The micro story taking up most of the novel is rather pedestrian, but the setting is magnificent. The macro story is about the fulfillment of a long lost purpose. Fun idea but not such a fun read.

Lord Humungus
Probably my favorite book in the Xeelee/Ring Cycle, and one of my favorite Baxter books. Incredibly imagined with a showstopper ending (at least for me). I didn't know it was part of the sequence when I read it and this made it all the more unusual. The only reason Time Ships gets more stars is because Time Ships was also incredibly fun and entertaining.
Joe
Started to read this book (the 3rd in Baxter's Xeelee Sequence), but it was, even for me, a little too "out there" and after a couple of chapters, it really just wasn't working, so I set it aside and moved onto the next book (Ring).
Mikel
This was my first Stephen Baxter book. It took a while to understand his style but once I did, WOW. For hard core scifi readers I highly recommend this book.
Kristin Lundgren
I'd been looking for this one for a long tiem - part of the Xeelee sequence. It's about tiny "humans" who have adapted to live in the heart of a neutron star.
Scott
An entertaining read about a race of human-made mini humans who live within a star. Nothing ingenious or incredible but a good read for a vacation.
Stephen
Great mental workout but a rather unsatisfying ending. Hopefully Ring will sort out the rest.
Evgeny Petrov
The worst in four books Xelee sequence. You can skip this book and to miss nothing.
Tim
Interesting, but ultimately just a small cog a big, incomprehensible picture.
Sam
A bit of a slow start, but still an enjoyable read.
Amillo
gave up around page 200
very good setting but boring plot
Nathaniel
Nathaniel marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
What's The Name o...: Young Woman lives in a Neutron Star [s] 4 27 Oct 19, 2011 02:13PM
  • Tides of Light (Galactic Center, #4)
  • Marrow (Marrow, #1)
  • Sunstorm (A Time Odyssey, #2)
  • Zima Blue and Other Stories
  • Quarantine (Subjective Cosmology Cycle, #1)
  • The Naked God 2: Faith (Night's Dawn 3)
  • Dark Light (Engines Of Light, #2)
  • Tangents
  • Starquake
  • Zero Point (Owner Trilogy, #2)
  • The World Of Ptavvs (Known Space)
  • The River of Time
20295
Stephen Baxter is a trained engineer with degrees from Cambridge (mathematics) and Southampton Universities (doctorate in aeroengineering research). Baxter is the winner of the British Science Fiction Award and the Locus Award, as well as being a nominee for an Arthur C. Clarke Award, most recently for Manifold: Time. His novel Voyage won the Sidewise Award for Best Alternate History Novel of the ...more
More about Stephen Baxter...

Xeelee Sequence (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Raft (Xelee Sequence, #1)
  • Timelike Infinity (Xelee Sequence, #2)
  • Ring (Xeelee Sequence, #4)
  • Vacuum Diagrams (Xeelee Sequence, #5)
  • Making History & Reality Dust (Xelee Sequence, #6)
  • Riding the Rock (Xelee Sequence, #7)
  • Coalescent (Destiny's Children, #1)
  • Exultant (Destiny's Children, #2)
  • Transcendent (Destiny's Children, #3)
  • Resplendent (Destiny's Children, #4)
Manifold: Time (Manifold, #1) The Time Ships Manifold: Space (Manifold, #2) Flood (Flood, #1) Ring (Xeelee Sequence, #4)