Start by marking “Killing for Sport: Inside the Minds of Serial Killers” as Want to Read:
Killing for Sport: Inside the Minds of Serial Killers

Killing for Sport: Inside the Minds of Serial Killers

3.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  202 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Killing for Sport is the most valuable insight into the minds of serial killers you'll ever read. While other profilers tend to conceal the clear facts behind complex technical language and psychobabble, Pat Brown actually tells it like it is. Killing for Sport will intrigue you with its honest portrayal of the predator-next-door, how he hunts for him victims, why he likes ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Phoenix Books (first published March 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Killing for Sport, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing for Sport

Sneakend
"I was born with the devil in me. I could not help the fact that I was a murderer, no more than a poet can help the inspiration to sing..."
H.H. Holmes

The book is filled with quotes by serial killers (and other people), which I found at times quite distracting. In many places they even felt irrelevant. I suppose they are there to help guide the reader into the mind of serial killers, and all in all I enjoyed them more than the actual text by the author. Had the book been called "Quotes by serial
Dina (ReviewTime)
Sep 28, 2010 Dina (ReviewTime) rated it it was amazing
Shocking, compelling and at times deeply disturbing "Killing for Sport" is an eye opening view into the minds of serial killers. Unlike other books on the subject Author/Profiler Pat Brown simplifies the difficult to understand jargon and explains each aspect in common language. Her book gives the reader a interesting look into the life of a profiler and the world of the serial killer. Throughout her book Ms. Brown makes use of actual quotes from well known serial killers, which adds to the jaw ...more
Mark O'Brien
This is the kind of book that can only do more harm than good.

I suppose there is no law dictating that a serious topic is deserving of a serious tone. But in adopting a tone of flippancy, Brown is in danger of demeaning the very people she claims to be writing for: the families of victims.

Brown claims that it is her purpose to answer questions about serial killers with "no fluff, no psychobabble, and no ego trips." Well, there is no psychobabble.

Alarm bells began to ring at the title: Killing f
Shan
Mar 28, 2015 Shan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For some reason I was under the impression that I would learn something from this book.

Can women be serial killers? Yes.

Are all killers men? Nope.

What is a serial killer? Well, according to my research on Google, "A serial killer is a person who has murdered three or more people over a period of more than a month, with down time (a "cooling off period") between each of the murders." According to this book, someone who's killed one or more people. Why? Because if that person hadn't been caught, t
SenoraG
Nov 13, 2010 SenoraG rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Killing for Sport was a very enjoyable book. Written by a profiler who knows quite a bit about serial killers and how they operate.

Reading the book was like having a Q&A with the author and killers both. Ms. Brown asked questions that we all wonder about regarding how these murderers do what they do, then goes on to answer them.

The author tried to add light humor along with the information which at times I felt was in bad taste, but then again, murder is in bad taste. I understand that in t
Dave
Jul 21, 2016 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Review originally posted at Book of Bogan

A convenient set of Frequently (Apparently) Asked Questions about the lives, loves and crimes of serial killers, as written by someone with a particular agenda to push. Littered with quotes from serial killers themselves, as well as real world examples, Killing for Sport is a somewhat blandly-written look at the world of murderers.

I guess as one of the most horrifying types of criminal in society - the serial killer - these murderers are at least a curios
Mark
Oct 10, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Killing for Sport is an excellent overview of the subject of the losers who kill. Profiling is vastly overrated by Hollywood and the media in general. It can be a useful tool, but most profilers are not much better than a psychic. The good ones are those who spend time with a case, learn all there is to know and then don't over-state their conclusions. Brown did categorically state that there is no murder case that has been solved by a psychic. The good psychics are those who have done their due ...more
Sonnic
Jul 02, 2007 Sonnic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brown demystifies the world of serial killers and profiling in a no-jargon, no mumbo-jumbo book. Contains good tips for not becoming a crime victim. A much easier read and more informative in many ways than most books on profiling.
Melanie Franklin
Not as detailed as I expected. If you already have a basic understanding of serial killers, this book is pretty much common knowledge.
Twi
Feb 04, 2013 Twi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written slightly creepy to know so much about serial killers but informative.
Nicole
Interesting and disturbing at the same time.
Bea
Sep 06, 2014 Bea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think the author offered different point of view to public knowledge. Very good book, well written, easy to understand and without necessary discussion around. Very straight, based on experiences. I enjoyed every minute of the reading, even by enjoying I mean ability to feel what's behind the words. It's easy to say "torture" but to understand what led author to use the word is the point. Even many people can read this without any feeling, I'm glad I'm not one of them. And that's enjoying.
Scott Wright
Dec 17, 2014 Scott Wright rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Non-fiction book that gives a bit of a look at serial killers. A bit arrogant in the presentation. "I'm correct and all others are wrong." Perhaps in her time she may be correct in her field, but not the end all in all. She is a profiler yet, hasn't profiled any of the big ones that she sites in the book it seems. I enjoyed the learning of it however and it tied in well with my criminal justice investigations class.
Shawn Scarano
May 18, 2010 Shawn Scarano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like I said in my prior review before I finished this book, this is definatly geared more twords the layman with easy to understand references and no large have to lookup medical vocabulary as well. However it still is a good read. It looks at the serial killers mind, how it works, what drives him or her, what he/she looks for in a victim and how to avoid becoming one. Giving tips to the reader as well as ideas and street smart reasonings. If you are into the psychology behind the crime and are ...more
Angel
Jan 29, 2016 Angel rated it it was ok
I'm not a fan of this one. She had some good points, but seemed bent on knocking the FBI and their methods through the whole thing. it got a little old.
Trish Mayfield
This book is poorly written and treats the reader as an imbecile. Too much dumbing-down makes for a poor read.
Jamie
Mar 07, 2016 Jamie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Not what I was expecting at all... More of a text book read on common knowledge. Made it 75% through and threw in the towel.
Jlsimon
Apr 20, 2015 Jlsimon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book answers tons of questions about myths and facts regarding serial killers. To be honest, it wasn't anything I didn't already know. But it is interesting the things that are thought to be fact based on the television rendition of the serial killer profiling programs. That being said, I enjoyed the author's wit and humor, but got pretty bored of the review by the end of the book. It's a good thing it was a short one or I never would have finished it.
Brisbride13
May 25, 2013 Brisbride13 rated it it was ok
The title lead me to believe this book was going to be a detailed look into the minds of serial killers; not some silly Q&A format with some grey boxes on the side with quotes from the killers. it grabbed my attention very early on, the voice behind the book, but once I flipped forward and discovered the entire book was written the same way, I lost interest. However, I did stick with it. Would not recommend it.
Andrei Taylor
Mar 13, 2013 Andrei Taylor rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is honestly the least scientific book I have ever read. Pat Brown has a killer living below her then magically becomes a "expert" on killers.

Her writing is sensational, her examples are weak and her overall outlook is grim. I became infatuated with the inner workings of Serial Killers and I had high hopes for this book, I was terribly disappointed.
George
Nov 30, 2011 George rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating. Written in a Q & A style that leads the reader through the world of the Serial Killer in all their forms. Wonderful quotes from Manson, Dahmer, Bundy, Gacy, and others are liberally used throughout the book. A wonderful follow up volume to the author's "The Profiler".
Stephen
Nov 07, 2013 Stephen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Its ok, its interesting enough but it left a lot out. If you go on wikipedia and search for a specific serial killer it will tell you more information. It doesn't touch on any of the serial killers for long enough so you can get a clear picture of what they did in detail.
Yea, just ok.
Eric
It's more the author's style and tone I disliked more than the content. Although the content was a little ho-hum for people well-versed in true crime.
Edelhart Kempeneers
Wat tegengevallen. The Sociopath Next Door van Martha Stout en The Psychopath Test van Jon Ronson zijn stukken beter.
Michael
Jun 08, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fucking scary as hell, seriously disturbing shit
Patricia Wedertz
thought provoking
Anne Goebel
Anne Goebel marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Emvaias
Emvaias marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Richard Fasano
Richard Fasano rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
  • Erased: Missing Women, Murdered Wives
  • Lustmord: The Writings and Artifacts of Murderers
  • Special Agent: My Life On the Front Lines as a Woman in the FBI
  • The Killer Book of Serial Killers: Incredible Stories, Facts, and Trivia from the World of Serial Killers
  • Cruel Death
  • Journey Into Darkness
  • Beyond Belief: The Moors Murderers. The Story of Ian Brady and Myra Hindley.
  • Burned Alive: A Shocking True Story of Betrayal, Kidnapping, and Murder
  • No, Daddy, Don't!: A Father's Murderous Act of Revenge
  • I: The Creation of a Serial Killer
  • Bad Boy: The True Story of Kenneth Allen McDuff, the Most Notorious Serial Killer in Texas History
  • The Last Victim: A True-Life Journey into the Mind of the Serial Killer
  • Pure Murder
  • The Ultimate Evil: The Truth about the Cult Murders: Son of Sam and Beyond
  • Fatal: The Poisonous Life of a Female Serial Killer
  • Charles Manson Now
  • Kiss Me, Kill Me and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #9)
  • Hunting Humans: The Rise of the Modern Multiple Murderer