Start by marking “America Afire: Jefferson, Adams, and the First Contested Election” as Want to Read:
America Afire: Jefferson, Adams, and the First Contested Election

America Afire: Jefferson, Adams, and the First Contested Election

America Afire is the powerful story of the election of 1800, arguably the most important election in America's history and certainly one of the most hotly disputed. Former allies Adams and Jefferson, president versus vice president, Federalist versus Republican, squared off in a vicious contest that resulted in broken friendships, scandals, riots, slander, and jailings in ...more
Published September 18th 2001 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about America Afire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about America Afire

Eric_W
Nov 29, 2008 Eric_W rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The American news media really did us all a disservice in the 2000 election with its caterwauling about constitutional crises, and how the world would come to an end because they were not allowed to predict the outcome of the election before the polls closed and – heaven forbid – we might have to wait a few weeks to discover the outcome. A shame they never read any history.

Our past is riddled with contests much more contentious than those of recent vintage. Take 1800, for example. John Adams mu
Todd Van Meter
Aug 12, 2011 Todd Van Meter rated it it was amazing
"America Afire" is about the contested U.S. Presidential election of 1800, its effects upon our country and political system, and the ability of our nation to weather a constitutional crisis and challenges similar to those we have experienced in recent presidential elections. I've always had an interest in Thomas Jefferson, the staid Virginia gentleman (sometimes), as well as Aaron Burr, the dashing war hero and politically expedient scoundrel. You get both in this well written and enjoyable boo ...more
Ron Rordam
Feb 14, 2014 Ron Rordam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While there is a great deal of background leading up to the election of 1800, I thought it was necessary for a full understanding of the times. The main take away, the more things change, the more they remain the same. The Hamilton-Jefferson feud really was not different than current political rants.

The only real complaint. It is the "College of William and Mary" NOT William and Mary College.
Tom Meyer
Feb 03, 2010 Tom Meyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this book thinking that I was merely doing my due diligence and that I probably already knew most of the stuff in it. Was I ever wrong. By treating the Election as his subject, Weisberger is able explore subjects that most biographies of the period miss, especially a number of minor characters, like the Pinckney brothers, who are mentioned in other works but never get their due.

Good reading and highly enlightening.
Phillip
May 24, 2013 Phillip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for anyone interested in this period of history. I've read a dozen books about the post-Revolution to early Constitution period, and this is one of the best. At first I thought this was a short book, but it hits every topic: Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Hamilton, Federalist/Republican, Britain/France, Burr, and the rest. I wanted to re-read this again more slowly because it really gives a lot of information about the issues during the Constitutional Convention. Great book!
Brad Lucht
Jul 25, 2013 Brad Lucht rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story of the election of 1800, when President John Adams (Federalist) campaigned against his Vice President, Thomas Jefferson (Republican).

This book chronicles how the two party system in American politics came to be, and how the divisions of today seem tame compared to the bitter fight that took place just 24 years after our country gained its independence. Indeed, the election of 1800 was a fight for the very future of our country.
William Monaco
May 25, 2013 William Monaco rated it it was ok
I think this book had a lot of promise, but in the end it turned out to try to cover too much history. I thought it was a book about the election of 1800, but this wasn't really discussed until 2/3 of the way into the book. I did enjoy the politics and backroom deals, especially when Jefferson and Burr tied in electoral votes. But there was too much minutia leading up to the description of the election. Overall an okay book, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Jeremy
Feb 15, 2010 Jeremy rated it really liked it
Amazing book on an extraordinary time in America. Brought to life a lot of interesting characters of the Revolution and made sense out of a convoluted time in our history. Easy and fun to read book.
John
Feb 18, 2008 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
history
Drew
America Afire: Jefferson, Adams, and the Revolutionary Election of 1800 by Bernard A. Weisberger (2000)
Nov 17, 2014 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting saga of the beginnings of the electoral process. Our founding fathers were not the saints we were taught to revere them as, and some were downright anti-democracy.
Penny
Penny rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2012
Robert Speziale
Robert Speziale rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Harry
Harry rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2012
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Joseph Thompson
Joseph Thompson rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2013
Laura rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2012
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2014
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Erik
Erik rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2007
Olydawg
Olydawg rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2016
Adam
Adam rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2009
Kathryn Leigh
Kathryn Leigh rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2013
David Longo
David Longo rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2015
Dino
Dino rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Louie Saenz
Louie Saenz rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2014
Jon
Jon rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2017
Jerome
Jerome rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2012
Brad Mcdowell
Brad Mcdowell rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • A Magnificent Catastrophe: The Tumultuous Election of 1800, America's First Presidential Campaign
  • Miracle at Philadelphia: The Story of the Constitutional Convention, May to September 1787
  • Adams Vs. Jefferson: The Tumultuous Election of 1800
  • What Kind of Nation: Thomas Jefferson, John Marshall, and the Epic Struggle to Create a United States
  • The Birth of Modern Politics: Andrew Jackson, John Quincy Adams, and the Election of 1828
  • Passionate Sage: The Character and Legacy of John Adams
  • The Perils of Peace: America's Struggle for Survival After Yorktown
  • America's First Dynasty: The Adamses, 1735-1918
  • The Age of Federalism: The Early American Republic, 1788-1800
  • An Artist in Treason: The Extraordinary Double Life of General James Wilkinson
  • An American Crisis: George Washington and the Dangerous Two Years After Yorktown, 1781-1783
  • The Long Fuse: How England Lost the American Colonies 1760-1785
  • Treacherous Beauty: Peggy Shippen, the Woman behind Benedict Arnold's Plot to Betray America
  • Affairs of Honor: National Politics in the New Republic
  • Blood of Tyrants: George Washington & the Forging of the Presidency
  • John Jay: Founding Father
  • History of the United States During the Administrations of James Madison
  • The Founding Fathers Reconsidered
Bernard Allen Weisberger is an American historian. Weisberger taught American history at several universities including the University of Chicago and University of Rochester, where he was chair of the department. He has written more than a dozen books and worked on documentaries with Bill Moyers and Ken Burns. His Charles Ramsdell Prize winning article "The Dark and Bloody Ground of Reconstruction ...more
More about Bernard A. Weisberger...