Start by marking “Vertigo: A Novella” as Want to Read:
Vertigo: A Novella

Vertigo: A Novella

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Published 2008 by Black Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Vertigo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vertigo

Dionne
This is a fairly quick read, as a novella is supposed to be I suppose. The author explores themes of loss and a lot of the story is told through the metaphor of nature. The harsh reality of living in the Australian bush is explained, and with the renewal of the bush through fire, so the characters come through their own personal tragedy and they are ready to start again. There are some inconsistencies in the book—predominately the water being scarce but then the characters seem to act blase abou ...more
Sam Schroder
See samreads.wordpress.com
Maria
Jan 25, 2014 Maria added it
Reread for Australia Day. Perfect!
Siggy
I loved its economy. I loved its subject matter of a relationship that’s not in the heady states of beginning or collapse but in its shiftingly stable middle. The writing was lovely. I Lingered over ever sentence bur still chose to be late to work so I could finish it. The description of the bushfire was great and at its emotional core how children are the heart of it all.
Lynley
I didn't manage to read this short novel in one sitting, but it didn't matter. I was taken away by the writing, which is matched perfectly to the story: part fairytale, part ghostly, part thriller.

I'm left wondering if more books would be better this length.

I can't really work out why it's titled Vertigo, though it might come to me later, I suppose.
Jacinta Fintan
Bought this book at lunch time and had finished it by bed. Its a quick but charming story about 30 something couple that head outta the city for a seachange. Reminded me of winton and garner with simple vivid descriptions and the smell of australianess. Will be huntin down the rest of Lohreys stuff.
Kathryn
I enjoyed this short novel very much. There were many times I found myself re-reading sentences because they were so spare but beautiful. A couple of moments in the story grip the heart and the bushfire sequence is intense.
Genevieve Dingle
Short story about a couple going through transitions, moving from the city to a small settlement by the sea, experiencing severe draught and then a bushfire. Beautifully crafted.
Jim
well crafted tale of a 'seachange' and an awakening to living in the bush environment with an interesting undercurrent of loss and redemption which is tenderly resolved.
K
Short but enjoyable little read about a couple's seachange. Elegant prose and a solid development of characterisation.
Alice Petherbridge
Alice Petherbridge marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Vani
Vani marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Book Freak!
Book Freak! marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Helen Barter
Helen Barter marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Annelise Guest
Annelise Guest marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Camille's Bread The Philosopher's Doll Reading Madame Bovary Groundswell: The Rise of the Greens Voting for Jesus: Christianity and Politics in Australia