Start by marking “Vertigo: A Novella” as Want to Read:
Vertigo: A Novella

Vertigo: A Novella

Luke and Anna decide on a sea-change. They leave the city, fleeing a past and a future that fill then with fear. On the coast they discover a natural world that is both destructive and rejuvenating. Events sweep them up and they must confront what they have tried to put behind them.

Veritgo is an enthralling short novel by one of Australia's leading writers.
Published 2008 by Black Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Vertigo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vertigo

Debbie Robson
Dec 26, 2015 Debbie Robson rated it it was amazing
I read the first paragraph - a straight forward, yet evocative one - and immediately had to read the book. I was appalled to discover that neither of my local libraries had a copy. It was Christmas Eve and I had my Mum staying so I bought the book online and read it on my laptop over the public holidays. (It should have gone to my iphone but that’s another story). Needless to say with all the hu ha I may have been setting myself up for disappointment. Luckily I wasn’t. Lohrey has definitely deli ...more
Dave Leys
Certainly fluent; some wonderful description of nature; to me felt rather mannered and like it had been worked over by editors and creative writing teachers for ever which I guess produces a certain effect -poetic - and I can see how it is a sensitive treatment of grief. However, to me the book distanced me - I never quite felt the odd shapes of humanity - perhaps I wanted another, more ragged book. The description of the bushfire is gripping. A quick, poetic read that has some resonance
Matthew Goodwin
Dec 01, 2015 Matthew Goodwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written and deeply moving.
Anne
Mar 15, 2017 Anne rated it really liked it
Beautiful prose which transports you to the equally beautiful, but unpredictable, Australian landscape. The story creeps along and culminates in an heart wrenching tale of loss, acceptance, and, finally, closure. I was deeply affected.
Lisa
Mar 12, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: australia, c20th, novella
Dionne
Oct 21, 2012 Dionne rated it really liked it
This is a fairly quick read, as a novella is supposed to be I suppose. The author explores themes of loss and a lot of the story is told through the metaphor of nature. The harsh reality of living in the Australian bush is explained, and with the renewal of the bush through fire, so the characters come through their own personal tragedy and they are ready to start again. There are some inconsistencies in the book—predominately the water being scarce but then the characters seem to act blase abou ...more
Siegrist
Mar 26, 2010 Siegrist rated it really liked it
I loved its economy. I loved its subject matter of a relationship that’s not in the heady states of beginning or collapse but in its shiftingly stable middle. The writing was lovely. I Lingered over ever sentence bur still chose to be late to work so I could finish it. The description of the bushfire was great and at its emotional core how children are the heart of it all.
Jacinta Fintan
Feb 01, 2009 Jacinta Fintan rated it liked it
Bought this book at lunch time and had finished it by bed. Its a quick but charming story about 30 something couple that head outta the city for a seachange. Reminded me of winton and garner with simple vivid descriptions and the smell of australianess. Will be huntin down the rest of Lohreys stuff.
Lynley
Dec 09, 2010 Lynley rated it really liked it
I didn't manage to read this short novel in one sitting, but it didn't matter. I was taken away by the writing, which is matched perfectly to the story: part fairytale, part ghostly, part thriller.

I'm left wondering if more books would be better this length.

I can't really work out why it's titled Vertigo, though it might come to me later, I suppose.
Isobel Blackthorn
Jan 12, 2016 Isobel Blackthorn rated it really liked it
Such elegant prose. I admit I struggle with the bleak tradition within literary fiction in Australia. The toned down, understated, matter-of-factness of it. The constrained passion and emotion. Yet the result is powerful and compelling.
Kathryn
Nov 30, 2012 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this short novel very much. There were many times I found myself re-reading sentences because they were so spare but beautiful. A couple of moments in the story grip the heart and the bushfire sequence is intense.
Sam Schroder
Jul 27, 2014 Sam Schroder rated it it was amazing
See samreads.wordpress.com
Genevieve Dingle
Jul 16, 2013 Genevieve Dingle rated it really liked it
Short story about a couple going through transitions, moving from the city to a small settlement by the sea, experiencing severe draught and then a bushfire. Beautifully crafted.
Jim
Nov 23, 2008 Jim rated it really liked it
well crafted tale of a 'seachange' and an awakening to living in the bush environment with an interesting undercurrent of loss and redemption which is tenderly resolved.
K
Jan 23, 2009 K rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, 2009, australian
Short but enjoyable little read about a couple's seachange. Elegant prose and a solid development of characterisation.
Lyn
Lyn rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2013
Caroline
Caroline rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2012
Jan Edwards
Jan Edwards rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Helen Doyle
Helen Doyle rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2017
margaret young
margaret young rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Rebecca Cornell
Rebecca Cornell rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2009
Befff
Befff rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Ginaaa
Ginaaa rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2017
Betik
Betik rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2014
Daniel Barbour
Daniel Barbour rated it it was ok
Mar 29, 2013
Mia Bailey
Mia Bailey rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2017
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Virginia
Virginia rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2014
Fatima
Fatima rated it did not like it
Feb 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Amanda Lohrey is a novelist and essayist. She was educated at the University of Tasmania and Cambridge. She lectured in Writing and Textual Studies at the Sydney University of Technology (1988-1994), and since 2002 at the School of English, Media Studies and Art History at the University of Queensland in Brisbane.
More about Amanda Lohrey...