Start by marking “Long Tail Kitty” as Want to Read:
Long Tail Kitty

Long Tail Kitty (Long Tail Kitty #1)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  110 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Lark Pien's clever, precise, unique comics are favorites with graphic-novel fans, and Long Tail Kitty marks her debut in the children's-book world. Meet Long Tail Kitty and his friends and neighbors: a bee who's friends with the flowers (at least the nice ones); Good Tall Mouse, who likes ice skating; and a family of aliens who drop in for one night of fun. The warmth and ...more
Published September 9th 2009 by Blue Apple Books (first published April 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Long Tail Kitty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Tail Kitty

Tamara
Jan 05, 2011 Tamara rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Whoa. The "Food Fests Are the Best" chapter is basically my life and friends, translated into animals and comic book format. Eerie.

This would be a great inspiration book for budding comic book artists.

Favorite Quotes/Illustrations:

BEE: Just imagine what it would be like if you lost your tail! IMAGINE IT!
KITTY: I'D HAVE A BARE BUM! There would be nothing to keep my stripe up! My bellybutton would show!

Illustration of long tail kitty lost in the meadow, with only his cat showing above the tall
Skye Kilaen
May 28, 2015 Skye Kilaen rated it really liked it
I was familiar with Lark Pien through some of her previous work in comics, as well as the picture book Mr. Elephanter, so we checked out Long Tail Kitty from the library. The first chapter serves as a bit of introduction and prologue, before the chapters which include wacky fun as Long Tail Kitty: gets a bee sting (and meets some cranky flowers who like cookies), learns to ice skate, makes dinner with friends, and plays with visiting aliens. It’s great! I should buy it and pretend my son asked m ...more
Bruce
Jul 05, 2014 Bruce rated it it was amazing
Long Tail Kitty proudly shows off his hometown to the reader, encounters a bee and a field of talking flowers, ice skates on a pond with Good Tall Mouse, cooks up a feast with his neighborhood friends, and then entertains some friends from far away.

Pien’s delicately colored simple cartoons of the enthusiastic Long Tail Kitty’s childlike activities are a gentle and reassuring treat for young readers. Two pages at the end of the book show young artists how to draw Long Tail Kitty and his moods.
Robin
Really fun, cute, imaginative stories. I especially liked the foldout page of various play adventures with alien friends at the end. Lots of child appeal here. Great graphic novel for elementary age!
Apr 05, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I discovered Lark Pien for her work with Jennifer Holm and Sunny Side Up. I loved her style of muted colors and animated features on people who were 'comic' but not 'cartoony'. Her debut, Long Tail Kitty is adorable and has these same graphic qualities. Kitty is a likable character, fun and thoughtful and his loving temperament is seen in how he is drawn and interacts with others. This is a great beginning graphic novel, and I think adults would find him charming too.
Justyn Rampa
Jun 02, 2011 Justyn Rampa rated it it was amazing
Ha! So the very first chapter "Where I Live" is really misleading because it is boring with clunky writing. I was prepared to not enjoy this comic.

Fortunately for me every other chapter in the book is BRILLIANT!!! And by brilliant, I mean incredibly hip, funny, and modern writing for a children's story. This will be fun for parents to read to their children for sure! I don't really even know where to start when it comes to my favorite moments in the book. They included finding out some flowers l
Stella
Jan 20, 2015 Stella rated it it was amazing
Best random buy of my life! everything about this little graphic novel is lovely, and incredibly easy to relate to =) my favourite chapter: Though we are far, we are Friends.
Tanja
Oct 31, 2015 Tanja rated it really liked it
Extremely cute graphic novel for younger readers! Kids will love also the bonus pages at the end of the book which teach the reader how to draw Long Tail Kitty.
Abby Johnson
Um... this is an odd little book. It's really cute at times, but overall kind of slight. I'm sure some kids will dig this, but I guess it just wasn't my thing.
Cheri
Super cute, easy to read, and each chapter has a nice plot. I give this one a thumbs-up! Great for ages 5 to 8.
MonsterAteMy
Sep 05, 2014 MonsterAteMy rated it liked it
A+ for the delightful illustrations.
C for the rather boring stories.
paula
Cute cute, but up-to-date and witty too. Four short chapters introduce us to Long Tail Kitty's home and friends, with lots of playing and silliness. Always domestic in scale, but suffused with little fabulousnesses like talking flowers that like cookies, and a tall mouse in a rasta hat. No surprises except for tiny surprises.

Luxuriously produced, on toothy ivory paper that makes Pien's watercolor and ink drawings look freshly painted just for you. Yummy.

Full review on Pink Me: http://pinkme.type
Pinky
Oct 25, 2015 Pinky rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-15
Long Tail Kitty is a cute alternative to Chi's Sweet Home.
Ellen
Nov 09, 2010 Ellen rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Long Tail Kitty has lots of simple adventures in this graphic novel for children. There's the grouchy bee that stings him in the flowers, there's ice skating in the woods, and there's a wonderful fold-out page detailing every adventure Long Tail Kitty and his alien friends accomplish in just one night. No complicated storyline or message, but the illustrations are fun and I especially love Long Tail Kitty's very prominent teeth. Also, the last page, showing readers how they can drawn Long Tail K ...more
Marcy Morgan
Jul 02, 2011 Marcy Morgan rated it really liked it
Long Tail Kitty
By Lark Pien
2009 Blue Apple Books
ISBN # 978-1-934706-44-2
Genre: Graphic novel
Level: K-3

If I had just one word to describe this book: cute. The sweet little watercolor illustrations and silly text tell the tales of a friendly kitty who likes to play and have fun. Weather Long Tail kitty is out sniffing flowers and gets stung, meets a new friend ice skating, makes No-Worm Stew, or is playing alien imitators and fuzzy faces with friends, you will be sure to enjoy the laughable and l
Amitha
Jul 23, 2014 Amitha rated it really liked it
Adorable. Preschooler loved this!
Nina
Jan 05, 2015 Nina rated it it was ok
Meh.
kim song ng
Jul 12, 2014 kim song ng rated it liked it
Very cute illustrations. 3.5
Nick
Jun 02, 2010 Nick rated it really liked it
A cute little graphic novel for younger kids. Unfortunately, the very young may not get the British-isms that turn up in a couple of places, but the story ought to make up for that one weakness.
The stories are silly and a bit nonsensical, but in a picture-book way. Bees with re-attachable stingers, giant mice and young aliens with a small flying saucer all wander through Long Tail Kitty's world.
The stories and the artwork are nothing special, but still work well in these silly tales.
Cassidy
Long Tail Kitty is an excellent example of a kid's graphic novel. It's light-hearted and the illustrations are wonderful. It's easy to read and it is a nice crossover between comic books and novels. I would strongly recommend giving this book to younger kids as a way to get them involved with reading.
Bethe
Apr 22, 2015 Bethe rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Delightful and charming graphic novel starting long tail kitty and friends. LOVE the bee sting chapter and the horrifying thought that without a tail his stripe would fall off! So glad its still available for purchase!
Rebecca
Long Tail Kitty is utterly adorable, and so is this whole graphic novel! The fold-out on p. 40 is an astouding list of things to do with your imagination when bored, and the how-to-draw LTK at the end is a nice touch (hint: he's super-simple to draw, but check out how many expressions he has!). Lark Pien's style reminds me somehow of old, old cartoons, like the early Mickey Mouse.
Kaethe
May 22, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
Long Tail Kitty looks a bit like Ashley Spires' Binky (whom I adore) but the tone is more similar to Owly. These are quiet, sweet sorts of graphic novels. Quiet time books (yeah, I'm not even going to pretend that any book ever put any child to sleep, only ever me)

Library copy
Tressa
Apr 04, 2010 Tressa rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile
This is one of my son's first introductions to graphic novels, and while he chuckled a few times, I thought the stories were uninspiring and flat. If I had to pick a favorite it would be the one near the end about the alien children who come to visit. The others are just "eh."
Dec 30, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
I checked this out because it was about an orange, striped kitty. I liked it, it was cute and occasionally funny. It's more like the Owly series in that it's sweet, friendly, well-illustrated, and perhaps anime-influenced with certain characters, but not overwhelmingly so.
Westerville
Jan 07, 2011 Westerville rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, picture_book
"This would be a great inspiration book for budding comic book artists." - Tamara, Web Content Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
Chriss
Aug 01, 2010 Chriss rated it liked it
Fun, sweet hardcover with four short stories featuring Long Tailed Kitty and her friends. My favorite is the second one, "What a Sting Can Bring". The art is a nice watercolor style that's different from most watercolor.
Sarah Sammis
Cute 3 chapter graphic novel for young readers about a cat and his friends. The first one is how he met a bee, the next how he went skating with a mouse and the third about making no-worm stew for his friends.
Dana
Jan 14, 2011 Dana rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Cute graphic novel with simple and silly short stories. My 2nd grader loved it so I will recommend it often to younger elementary!
Kimberly
Apr 07, 2011 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Cutest graphic novel ever.

Full review here: http://stackedbooks.blogspot.com/2011...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Long Tail Kitty (2 books)
  • Long Tail Kitty: Come Out and Play