3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Lark Pien's clever, precise, unique comics are favorites with graphic-novel fans, and Long Tail Kitty marks her debut in the children's-book world. Meet Long Tail Kitty and his friends and neighbors: a bee who's friends with the flowers (at least the nice ones); Good Tall Mouse, who likes ice skating; and a family of aliens who drop in for one night of fun. The warmth and...more
Published September 9th 2009 by Blue Apple Books (first published April 1st 2009)

Tamara
Whoa. The "Food Fests Are the Best" chapter is basically my life and friends, translated into animals and comic book format. Eerie.

This would be a great inspiration book for budding comic book artists.

Favorite Quotes/Illustrations:

BEE: Just imagine what it would be like if you lost your tail! IMAGINE IT!
KITTY: I'D HAVE A BARE BUM! There would be nothing to keep my stripe up! My bellybutton would show!

Illustration of long tail kitty lost in the meadow, with only his cat showing above the tall...more
Bruce
Long Tail Kitty proudly shows off his hometown to the reader, encounters a bee and a field of talking flowers, ice skates on a pond with Good Tall Mouse, cooks up a feast with his neighborhood friends, and then entertains some friends from far away.

Pien’s delicately colored simple cartoons of the enthusiastic Long Tail Kitty’s childlike activities are a gentle and reassuring treat for young readers. Two pages at the end of the book show young artists how to draw Long Tail Kitty and his moods.
Justyn Rampa
Ha! So the very first chapter "Where I Live" is really misleading because it is boring with clunky writing. I was prepared to not enjoy this comic.

Fortunately for me every other chapter in the book is BRILLIANT!!! And by brilliant, I mean incredibly hip, funny, and modern writing for a children's story. This will be fun for parents to read to their children for sure! I don't really even know where to start when it comes to my favorite moments in the book. They included finding out some flowers l...more
paula
Cute cute, but up-to-date and witty too. Four short chapters introduce us to Long Tail Kitty's home and friends, with lots of playing and silliness. Always domestic in scale, but suffused with little fabulousnesses like talking flowers that like cookies, and a tall mouse in a rasta hat. No surprises except for tiny surprises.

Luxuriously produced, on toothy ivory paper that makes Pien's watercolor and ink drawings look freshly painted just for you. Yummy.

Full review on Pink Me: http://pinkme.type...more
Ellen
Long Tail Kitty has lots of simple adventures in this graphic novel for children. There's the grouchy bee that stings him in the flowers, there's ice skating in the woods, and there's a wonderful fold-out page detailing every adventure Long Tail Kitty and his alien friends accomplish in just one night. No complicated storyline or message, but the illustrations are fun and I especially love Long Tail Kitty's very prominent teeth. Also, the last page, showing readers how they can drawn Long Tail K...more
Marcy Morgan
By Lark Pien
2009 Blue Apple Books
ISBN # 978-1-934706-44-2
Genre: Graphic novel
Level: K-3

If I had just one word to describe this book: cute. The sweet little watercolor illustrations and silly text tell the tales of a friendly kitty who likes to play and have fun. Weather Long Tail kitty is out sniffing flowers and gets stung, meets a new friend ice skating, makes No-Worm Stew, or is playing alien imitators and fuzzy faces with friends, you will be sure to enjoy the laughable and l...more
Amitha
Adorable. Preschooler loved this!
Kimberly
Very cute illustrations. 3.5
Nick
A cute little graphic novel for younger kids. Unfortunately, the very young may not get the British-isms that turn up in a couple of places, but the story ought to make up for that one weakness.
The stories are silly and a bit nonsensical, but in a picture-book way. Bees with re-attachable stingers, giant mice and young aliens with a small flying saucer all wander through Long Tail Kitty's world.
The stories and the artwork are nothing special, but still work well in these silly tales.
Becky
Long Tail Kitty is utterly adorable, and so is this whole graphic novel! The fold-out on p. 40 is an astouding list of things to do with your imagination when bored, and the how-to-draw LTK at the end is a nice touch (hint: he's super-simple to draw, but check out how many expressions he has!). Lark Pien's style reminds me somehow of old, old cartoons, like the early Mickey Mouse.
Kaethe
Long Tail Kitty looks a bit like Ashley Spires' Binky (whom I adore) but the tone is more similar to Owly. These are quiet, sweet sorts of graphic novels. Quiet time books (yeah, I'm not even going to pretend that any book ever put any child to sleep, only ever me)

Library copy
Tressa
This is one of my son's first introductions to graphic novels, and while he chuckled a few times, I thought the stories were uninspiring and flat. If I had to pick a favorite it would be the one near the end about the alien children who come to visit. The others are just "eh."
I checked this out because it was about an orange, striped kitty. I liked it, it was cute and occasionally funny. It's more like the Owly series in that it's sweet, friendly, well-illustrated, and perhaps anime-influenced with certain characters, but not overwhelmingly so.
Westerville
"This would be a great inspiration book for budding comic book artists." - Tamara, Web Content Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
Chriss
Fun, sweet hardcover with four short stories featuring Long Tailed Kitty and her friends. My favorite is the second one, "What a Sting Can Bring". The art is a nice watercolor style that's different from most watercolor.
Sarah Sammis
Cute 3 chapter graphic novel for young readers about a cat and his friends. The first one is how he met a bee, the next how he went skating with a mouse and the third about making no-worm stew for his friends.
Robin
Really fun, cute, imaginative stories. I especially liked the foldout page of various play adventures with alien friends at the end. Lots of child appeal here. Great graphic novel for elementary age!
Dana
Cute graphic novel with simple and silly short stories. My 2nd grader loved it so I will recommend it often to younger elementary!
Kimberly
Cutest graphic novel ever.

Full review here: http://stackedbooks.blogspot.com/2011...
danelle
Any of the long tail kitty mini-comics are worth picking up. I love love love her story writing and the drawings are adorable.
Kate Hastings
Grades K-2. Meh. I thought the illustrations were fair and the storylines pretty simple. Still, it will appeal to this audience.
Missie Kay The Book Fix
Adorable illustrations, but the stories are a bit too pointless to keep anyone over the age of two interested.
Steven
Picked this up from a library sale, no idea what to expect of it, and it turned out very entertaining and ver cute.
Jason
3 1/2 stars- my favorite was Though We're Far We're Friends. cute, kind of zen.
sara frances
Very cute and funny. Extra points for using the phrase "for cereal!"
meg
Mar 20, 2010 meg rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children of all ages, crazy cat ladies, anyone with a heart
this just made my heart explode. i want to own it.
Inge
Cute/Silly/Quirky/Sweet/Innocent/Darling.
Snow
read for NoveList recommended reading lists
Julia
Very cute, fluffy graphic novel!
jen
freaking cute. love the illustrations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mr. Elephanter Long Tail Kitty Long Tail Kitty: Come Out and Play Nursery Rhyme Comics: 50 Timeless Rhymes from 50 Celebrated Cartoonists Flight, Vol. 4 (Flight, #4)