Start by marking “Milk, Money, and Madness: The Culture and Politics of Breastfeeding” as Want to Read:
Milk, Money, and Madness: The Culture and Politics of Breastfeeding

Milk, Money, and Madness: The Culture and Politics of Breastfeeding

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  19 reviews
I commend the authors of Milk, Money, and Madness for the considerable contribution they have made by voicing their opinions, contributing their knowledge, stimulating debate and challenging conventional wisdom. Dr. Richard Jolly, Acting Executive Director UNICEF

Breastfeeding is a beautiful process. It involves the participation of both mother and child and cannot be dupli
Published November 30th 1995 by Bergin & Garvey Trade (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Milk, Money, and Madness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Milk, Money, and Madness

Beth
Oct 29, 2007 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All teen girls and all women!!!
This book is such an eye opening history into the practice of breastfeeding. It includes history of not only western culture, but worldwide culture on breastfeeding. It also goes into detail about infant formula companies, specifically Nestle and their immoral, unethical practices of marketing artificial breast milk (formula) to not only western countries, but more shocking, to third world countries, contributing to the deaths of thousands of babies every year.

This book convinced me to never ag
Susan
There is a lot of interesting information in this book, but it is like reading some ones dissertation...BORING!!! It did bring up a lot of questions for me about who's responsibility it is to make breastfeeding a priority and important in our culture. Americans are down right despicable when it comes to doing this one good thing for there children. It definitely took me from being pro-breastfeeding to a bit of a breastfeeding Nazi!
Kristy
This was great! I learned a lot about the deceptive marketing practices of the baby formula companies, about the history of baby formula, and about the ways that the formula companies work so hard with the hospitals to undermine the breastfeeding relationship between moms and new babies. It was empowering. My cousin said it best--boobs are for feeding babies, not for selling beer. Amen and amen!
Kristin
Excellent and shocking read. The history of wet nursing was pretty sad (women abandoning their own babies so they could be paid to nurse upper class babies) and formula companies are even more evil than I thought.
Susana
they need to update this shit regularly.
most recent research that is.

otherwise.
covers a broad variety of topics.
if with a somewhat fanatical tone.

but hey.
i get it.
Amie
I expected to enjoy this book more than I did. I was hoping for more contemporary culture and politics, what I found was a lengthy discussion of breastfeeding throughout the ages and cross world cultures, and then another lenghty discussion of cow's milk vs. human milk. These are certainly compelling topics, and the chapter about the composition of cow's milk spells out once and for all why formula will never be able to duplicate human milk which will forever be the superior source of nutrition ...more
Alpine
May 06, 2013 Alpine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all women, pregnant and lactating women, doulas, childbirth educators
I really enjoyed this book, particularly the history of artificial feeding and wet nurses. It was very well researched, with a clear woven together narrative. For example, the analysis of the economic benefits of workplace policies that promote breastfeeding drew on a number of sources. I found myself feeling angry while reading the book, mostly in responses to various baby-unfriendly actions ranging from wet nurses abandoning their own babies, to formula company tactics, to stories of women exp ...more
Becca
Mar 09, 2011 Becca added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish-it
I checked this out and started to read and skim it. This book intimidated me and looked boring. More like a textbook. I thought it would be something I could read while nursing me new son to learn more about the history of nursing and reaffirm that nursing was important (I assumed it would be pro-nursing, I honestly didn't read enough to find out if it is or not). Well, it turned out that my son can't nurse. Thousands of dollars, hours of doctors visits, and five months later I am still pumping ...more
Ashley
Great history and info but "current" things are about 20 years outdated. I would love if the authors would update this book!
Amy
Jul 06, 2008 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Oh my. I'd like to see a follow-up to this book. Mostly to see the new progress to limit formula companies and what new breastfeeding laws have been passed. Plus all the new research findings about breastfeeding and breastmilk. Anyways, it's a great book with lots of history. Did you know Rockefeller drank breastmilk in his old age??
Hannah
Definitely cemented most of my opinions about breastfeeding and it's importance. I learned a great deal about how we choose to feed our infants in this society and others. Although the book was a little dry, if it is a subject that interests you, you are a mom or mom-to be, I would recommend it.
Courtney
Loving it so far, I wish every person who was about to be a parent would read this, and maybe they could get this ridiculous notion that formula is just another, just as good option for feeding their baby.

Done, i enjoyed it.
Leahjoypro
This book has been on my to-read list for a while. Some really interesting info, background and statistics on Breastfeeding and the formula industry. However it's a bit dated at this point.
Amy
A phenomenal book on the culture of breastfeeding and the capitalism and consumerism that leads to formula feeding. A great expose of formula-manufacturers advertising tactics.
Joel
Best book we read during pregnancy. Makes you hate the free formula samples at doctors' offices even more.
Brittany
This book is fascinating and very informative...everyone should read this!
Candicelquist
LOVE this book. Could be updated though.
Kathy
A bit dated but still relevant. Good history.
Erin
Mar 08, 2009 Erin marked it as to-read
I love any book that stirs things up.
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Mina-Louise
Mina-Louise marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Kaye Friberg
Kaye Friberg marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
K.O.
K.O. marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Shirin Odar
Shirin Odar marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Sofia Paredes
Sofia Paredes marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Michelle Mohr
Michelle Mohr marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
  • The Politics of Breastfeeding: When Breasts are Bad for Business
  • Adventures in Tandem Nursing: Breastfeeding During Pregnancy and Beyond
  • So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide
  • Fresh Milk: The Secret Life of Breasts
  • Immaculate Deception II: Myth, Magic and Birth
  • The Breastfeeding Answer Book
  • Born in the USA: How a Broken Maternity System Must Be Fixed to Put Women and Children First
  • Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
  • Pushed: The Painful Truth About Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care
  • Birth and Breastfeeding: Rediscovering the Needs of Women During Pregnancy and Childbirth
  • Lying-In: A History of Childbirth in America, Expanded Edition
  • What Mothers Do: especially when it looks like nothing
  • The Breastfeeding Book: Everything You Need to Know About Nursing Your Child from Birth Through Weaning
  • Rediscovering Birth
  • The VBAC Companion: The Expectant Mother's Guide to Vaginal Birth After Cesarean
  • Obstetric Myths Versus Research Realities: A Guide to the Medical Literature
  • Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers
  • Your Best Birth: Know All Your Options, Discover the Natural Choices, and Take Back the Birth Experience
Murderous Medicine: Nazi Doctors, Human Experimentation, and Typhus A Woman's Guide to Yeast Infections Medicina asesina (Historia) Family care;: A guide, Primary Health Care Pioneer: The Selected Works of Dr. Cicely D. Williams