Start by marking “Milk, Money, and Madness: The Culture and Politics of Breastfeeding” as Want to Read:
Milk, Money, and Madness: The Culture and Politics of Breastfeeding

Milk, Money, and Madness: The Culture and Politics of Breastfeeding

I commend the authors of Milk, Money, and Madness for the considerable contribution they have made by voicing their opinions, contributing their knowledge, stimulating debate and challenging conventional wisdom. Dr. Richard Jolly, Acting Executive Director UNICEF

Breastfeeding is a beautiful process. It involves the participation of both mother and child and cannot be dupli
Published November 30th 1995 by Bergin & Garvey Trade (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Milk, Money, and Madness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Milk, Money, and Madness

Beth
Oct 29, 2007 Beth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All teen girls and all women!!!
This book is such an eye opening history into the practice of breastfeeding. It includes history of not only western culture, but worldwide culture on breastfeeding. It also goes into detail about infant formula companies, specifically Nestle and their immoral, unethical practices of marketing artificial breast milk (formula) to not only western countries, but more shocking, to third world countries, contributing to the deaths of thousands of babies every year.

This book convinced me to never ag
Kristy
Jan 20, 2009 Kristy rated it really liked it
This was great! I learned a lot about the deceptive marketing practices of the baby formula companies, about the history of baby formula, and about the ways that the formula companies work so hard with the hospitals to undermine the breastfeeding relationship between moms and new babies. It was empowering. My cousin said it best--boobs are for feeding babies, not for selling beer. Amen and amen!
Susan
May 27, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
There is a lot of interesting information in this book, but it is like reading some ones dissertation...BORING!!! It did bring up a lot of questions for me about who's responsibility it is to make breastfeeding a priority and important in our culture. Americans are down right despicable when it comes to doing this one good thing for there children. It definitely took me from being pro-breastfeeding to a bit of a breastfeeding Nazi!
Kristin
Sep 26, 2009 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and shocking read. The history of wet nursing was pretty sad (women abandoning their own babies so they could be paid to nurse upper class babies) and formula companies are even more evil than I thought.
Susana
Sep 24, 2007 Susana rated it really liked it
they need to update this shit regularly.
most recent research that is.

otherwise.
covers a broad variety of topics.
if with a somewhat fanatical tone.

but hey.
i get it.
Amie
Oct 26, 2007 Amie rated it liked it
I expected to enjoy this book more than I did. I was hoping for more contemporary culture and politics, what I found was a lengthy discussion of breastfeeding throughout the ages and cross world cultures, and then another lenghty discussion of cow's milk vs. human milk. These are certainly compelling topics, and the chapter about the composition of cow's milk spells out once and for all why formula will never be able to duplicate human milk which will forever be the superior source of nutrition ...more
Alpine
Mar 30, 2013 Alpine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all women, pregnant and lactating women, doulas, childbirth educators
I really enjoyed this book, particularly the history of artificial feeding and wet nurses. It was very well researched, with a clear woven together narrative. For example, the analysis of the economic benefits of workplace policies that promote breastfeeding drew on a number of sources. I found myself feeling angry while reading the book, mostly in responses to various baby-unfriendly actions ranging from wet nurses abandoning their own babies, to formula company tactics, to stories of women exp ...more
Becca
Aug 20, 2008 Becca added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish-it
I checked this out and started to read and skim it. This book intimidated me and looked boring. More like a textbook. I thought it would be something I could read while nursing me new son to learn more about the history of nursing and reaffirm that nursing was important (I assumed it would be pro-nursing, I honestly didn't read enough to find out if it is or not). Well, it turned out that my son can't nurse. Thousands of dollars, hours of doctors visits, and five months later I am still pumping ...more
Amy
Jun 20, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Oh my. I'd like to see a follow-up to this book. Mostly to see the new progress to limit formula companies and what new breastfeeding laws have been passed. Plus all the new research findings about breastfeeding and breastmilk. Anyways, it's a great book with lots of history. Did you know Rockefeller drank breastmilk in his old age??
Hannah
May 28, 2009 Hannah rated it really liked it
Definitely cemented most of my opinions about breastfeeding and it's importance. I learned a great deal about how we choose to feed our infants in this society and others. Although the book was a little dry, if it is a subject that interests you, you are a mom or mom-to be, I would recommend it.
Courtney
May 01, 2008 Courtney rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
Loving it so far, I wish every person who was about to be a parent would read this, and maybe they could get this ridiculous notion that formula is just another, just as good option for feeding their baby.

Done, i enjoyed it.
Erin
Mar 08, 2009 Erin marked it as to-read
I love any book that stirs things up.
Amy
Mar 29, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
A phenomenal book on the culture of breastfeeding and the capitalism and consumerism that leads to formula feeding. A great expose of formula-manufacturers advertising tactics.
Kathy
Feb 11, 2009 Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A bit dated but still relevant. Good history.
Leahjoypro
Mar 11, 2009 Leahjoypro rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
This book has been on my to-read list for a while. Some really interesting info, background and statistics on Breastfeeding and the formula industry. However it's a bit dated at this point.
Joel
Nov 22, 2012 Joel rated it it was amazing
Best book we read during pregnancy. Makes you hate the free formula samples at doctors' offices even more.
Janina Micca
Nov 03, 2016 Janina Micca rated it it was amazing
Insightful. I am a breastfeeding mother and a peer counsellor to other mums, and this is my bible. Never had a book opened my eyes more than MMM.
Brittany
Feb 18, 2008 Brittany rated it really liked it
This book is fascinating and very informative...everyone should read this!
Ashley
Apr 26, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it
Great history and info but "current" things are about 20 years outdated. I would love if the authors would update this book!
Candicelquist
Jan 15, 2008 Candicelquist rated it it was amazing
LOVE this book. Could be updated though.
Cheryl  Madigan
Cheryl Madigan rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2008
Ibrahim
Ibrahim rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2015
Rujen lee
Rujen lee rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2009
Misty
Misty rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2011
effie
effie rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2009
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2010
Edda
Edda rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2012
Keelia
Keelia rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2017
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Nov 08, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Politics of Breastfeeding: When Breasts Are Bad for Business
  • Adventures in Tandem Nursing: Breastfeeding During Pregnancy and Beyond
  • So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide
  • Immaculate Deception II: Myth, Magic and Birth
  • Fresh Milk: The Secret Life of Breasts
  • The Breastfeeding Answer Book
  • Birth and Breastfeeding: Rediscovering the Needs of Women During Pregnancy and Childbirth
  • Born in the USA: How a Broken Maternity System Must Be Fixed to Put Women and Children First
  • Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
  • The Breastfeeding Book: Everything You Need to Know About Nursing Your Child from Birth Through Weaning
  • Lying-In: A History of Childbirth in America, Expanded Edition
  • Pushed: The Painful Truth About Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care
  • Rediscovering Birth
  • Medications and Mothers' Milk 2006 (Medications and Mother's Milk)
  • What Mothers Do: especially when it looks like nothing
  • The VBAC Companion: The Expectant Mother's Guide to Vaginal Birth After Cesarean
  • Obstetric Myths Versus Research Realities: A Guide to the Medical Literature