Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Im Dunkel der Wälder” as Want to Read:
Im Dunkel der Wälder
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating

Im Dunkel der Wälder

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Sie war jung, schön und wohlhabend. Doch der Bombenanschlag, der ihren Freund getötet hatte, verbannt Elise in die absolute Dunkelheit. Sie ist bewegungsunfähig, blind und stumm -- doch ihr Geist ist rege wie immer, auch wenn außer ihrer Haushälterin und Pflegerin Yvette niemand daran zu glauben scheint.

Eines Tages beginnt ein kleines Mädchen mit ihr zu reden, ganz zutrau

...more
Paperback, 283 pages
Published September 1st 1999 by Wilhelm Goldmann Verlag GmbH (first published 1996)
more details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Im Dunkel der Wälder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Im Dunkel der Wälder

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 406)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  rating details
Mike Van Barneveld
Wat een geweldig verhaal. Ik had er nog nooit van gehoord en ik zou het wellicht in de boekwinkel links laten liggen, maar dat zou eeuwig zonde zijn geweest. Een echte whodunit maar in een heel eigen jasje. Een vrouw die wegens een aanslag verlamd, blind en stom geworden is speelt een cruciale rol in dit boek. Ze kan niet veel meer maar haar oren zijn nog goed en haar hersenen ook. Omdat ze niet veel kan, merken mensen haar ook niet vaak op. Zodoende krijgt ze mondjesmaat informatie te weten ove ...more
Cheryl
This was ace could not put it down
Sabine
Elise Andrioli ist jung, reich und verliebt. Gemeinsam mit ihrem Verlobten Benoit ist sie im Urlaub in Irland, als eine Bombe ihr Glück zerstört. Benoit stirbt bei der Explosion und Elise kehrt schwer verletzt nach Hause zurück. Sie hat überlebt, kann sich aber weder bewegen, noch sprechen oder sehen; sie ist gefangen in ihrem eigenen Körper und geistig voll da - was sie aber niemanden mitteilen kann. Sie wird zuhause von der älteren Yvette gepflegt, die sich sehr um Elise kümmert und auch sehr ...more
Cathy Cole
Death From the Woods was named France's Best Thriller of 1997, and the reason for that, without doubt, is the character of Elise Andrioli. Most people upon hearing that the main character is a blind, mute quadriplegic will probably avoid the book, thinking that it's too depressing. It is not because the story is told by Elise, and we get to see how smart and brave and funny she is. Her sense of humor is what is helping her to survive being unable to communicate with anyone. When Virginie shares ...more
Trish
This was a bestseller in France and I read it when it came out in English ten years ago. Many hundreds of books later, I still remembered the thrill I had at the risk the author had taken with her unusual murder mystery centered around a blind mute quadriplegic. I know, I know, how can this be? It was almost as if the author, sitting around with friends over several bottles of good wine, had taken a bet to see if she could construct a story about the most unusual of protagonists—one that cannot ...more
LJ
DEATH FROM THE WOODS (Suspense-France-Cont) – G
Aubert, Brigitte – 1st book
Berkeley Prime Crime, 2005, Paperback
As the result of a car bomb, Elise Andrioli is a blind, mute quadriplegic. Left by her caregiver, Yvette, in a park to wait, Elise is befriended by Virginie, a 7-year-old who tells Elise she knows who is killing young boys. When Elise is attached, she is faced with finding a way to communicate and to stay alive.
*** Translated from French, the story, for the most part, flows well and onl
...more
Maddy
RATING: None given
WHY: As a result of being near a car bombing in which her fiancé was killed, Elise Andrioli is now a quadriplegic, mute and blind--but she can hear. While out with her caretaker, she is approached by a little girl, Virginie, who tells her about several murders of young boys. Elise is unsure whether Virginie has witnessed the murders or somehow has a hand in them. V's family and their friends befriend Elise. Soon, Elise herself finds herself in danger, with no way of communicati
...more
Apollonia
Brigitte Aubert is an exceptional writer with amazing ideas. I'm reading her stand-alone novels in the order that they appeare(d). So this is my third experience with her novels. A very good and suspenseful read.
Still, somehow, I didn't like it as much as its predecessors.

Quite an array of different characters whose motivation(s)do not always seem very credible.
The same goes for the narrator and protagonist, a woman who, after an accident, has become completely immobile, blind and speechless.
...more
Vivi Vocat
J’ai bien aimé lire ce livre, car il y a un rôle principal inhabituel. L'héroïne est Elise Andrioli, aveugle, muette et tétraplégique. C'est génial de lire l'histoire du point de vue de quelqu'un qui ne peut pas parler, mais tout le monde lui fait de la confiance, de quelqu'un qui ne peut pas se défendre quand l'assassin s’approche.
Cependant, l'histoire était facile à deviner et elle est un tantinet exagérée.
Kharen
Death from the Woods is a super suspense novel by Brigitte Aubert released on 2001.

I simply admired this book and it sent goosebumps on me.

I read it on my Sophomore Year in College.

The story basically revolves around Elise Andrioli which has been a victim of a bomb shock and has been quadriplegic, mute and blind since then.

Eventually, she meets Virginie, a young mysterious girl.

Virginie whispered her a secret about ‘Death from the Woods’ that she has seen, adding the name of ‘Death’s’ next victi
...more
Elke
Elise is blind, mute and quadriplegic, being able only to move one finger. Then there is the little girl Virginie who tells her of a mysterious stranger from the woods killing small boys. Soon, Elise is caught in the middle of a murder investigation. But while she struggles to find out who the murderer is, the murderer has already noticed her...

The story is told from the pov of Elise who hears and notices everything around her, while she herself is almost invisible to others, sitting silently in
...more
Joan Carmichael
Absolutely great whodunnit! Elise is paralyzed from the neck down, can't speak but she can hear. How does she get involved with the dastardly murders that surround her? You won't be disappointed.
Julia
I read this book in one jet lagged night, with the effect that I didn't end up being able to turn off the light because I was scared. I mean, a blind, mute quadriplegic??? Involved in a murder mystery? It doesn't get much scarier than that. Just think... You're there, blind, mute, unable to move, and with the distinct feeling that you're not alone.... Aaaahhh! This does sound a little exaggerated, maybe that's why it only gets fours stars of me, but this was a one of a kind page turner that left ...more
Suzanne
Apr 20, 2009 Suzanne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jennifer, Krista, Emily, Emma
Recommended to Suzanne by: Cara Black (author interview)
Shelves: mysteries
Wow, this book puts the thrill in thriller! The protagnoist is a quadrapalegic who is also blind and mute. People start sharing their secrets with her since she is a safe holding vessel. Some of the scenes were so spooky my skin was crawling. I tried closing my eyes and imagining that I couldn't move and couldn't talk - unnerving.

The thing that held me back from awarding a 5 was that there was a small section in the middle of the book that dragged somewhat. I will definitely check out more of th
...more
Celinethesword
un tres bon polar, a ne pas lire lorsqu'on est seule chez soi. J'ai adoré et j'ai eu du mal a le poser pendant les deux jours qu'on duré ma lecture. C'est bien écrit et surtout on ne s'attend pas du tout au déroulement du livre. L'auteur a pris un sacré risque en faisant tenir le role principale a une tetraplégique et c'est assez intéressant de voir comment l'intrigue se déroule autour de ce caractere hors du commun. Un tres bon livre a lire au coin du feu avec une bonne tasse de thé .
Holly Lindquist
This French whodunit features an unusual heroine, a mute and blind woman confined to a wheelchair. By chance, she hears a disturbing tale from a neighborhood girl about who may be behind some recent child murders in the area. Now she has to try to solve the mystery, with the added challenges of her extreme disability and the fact that the killer may be on to her. Fortunately she's very clever and very brave...
Vanlilith
Thriller classico nella forma ma innovativo nei contenuti - Non pensavo che un thriller con protagonista una donna tetraplegica potesse essere cos� avvincente e allo stesso tempo ricco di ironia. La Aubert dimostra maestria nello scrivere un giallo rispettandone i canoni classici e allo stesso tempo creando dei personaggi e dele situazioni uniche che reggono e non annoiano n� intristiscono.
Guna
This book was the winner of France's Grand Prix de Litterature Policiere. It is told from the point of view of a girl who survived a terrorist bomb, but as blind, mute, and quadriplegic. She gets involved in serial killings and mutilations of young children, and is subjected to terror herself. This was an absorbing mystery.
Jennifer
I loved this book so much. I became completely wrapped up in the plot and characters that I stayed up till 3am when I had to get up for work at 6:30am. I couldn't help it, I fell in love with Elise and her amazing inner narrative. I'm not a fan of mysteries or really thrillers but this pulled me in from the start.
Babs
Good book until the ending. Wasn't real happy with how it played out but not sure what the alternative could have been. The story was told by a young lady who'd been hit by a car bomb and left a quadraplegic, unable to move, see, or speak. I liked how the author was able to make this part so interesting. It worked.
Julie
Okay, this book really creeped me out. So well written that I could put myself in the lead character's shoes (and she was a blind and paralyzed). Truly frightening without being too morbid. I will see if we have anything else by this author but she is French and this was translated to English.
Christina
Oct 21, 2007 Christina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a good mystery.
this book is very different from anything I have ever read, and I haven't read anyhting like it since. It's really spooky and keeps you reading. you know how sometimes you read before you go to bed and you say "ok, one more chapter". well with this book you will say that over and over. :)
Colleen
I think the author was very talented to make an interesting mystery where the protagonist could neither see nor speak nor move. I would have given it higher grades for its ingeniousness but found the ending to be somewhat of a let down
Dennis Fischman
The story is told from a very unusual perspective. That both makes the book intriguing and makes the plot hard to follow. Plus, more and more I find I don't like books about serial killers as much as other mysteries.
Jennifer
Decent thriller. The main character, a blind & mute quadripalegic, was interesting. I really didn't care for any of the other characters. While I was surprised at the identity of the murderer, the book was just ok.
Lynn
So I wanted to read this for a while, and now I'm wondering what all the fuss was about. Not suspenseful at all, to me. And what! Is with all! The exclamation points?!
Justine
Een geweldig spannend boek, wat boeit tot de laatste pagina. Veel onderhuidse spanningen, en hele goeie verhaallijn. Top.
Sori
One of the few books where I'm sad at the end because I no longer get to read about the main character.
Mfly
Don't be turned off by the kid thing. It's actually funny and...unlike any other mystery, really.
Wendy
I REALLY enjoyed this book. It was gut wrenching nail biting fun. Suspenseful. Read this book!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Sans feu ni lieu
  • Love in Plain Sight (Senses and Sensations, #2)
  • Heartsight
  • Broken (1NightStand, #100)
  • Officer Down
  • Bindings (The Books of Magic, #2)
  • The High King's Daughter (Circle of Magic, #6)
  • 2666 (Part 5: The Part About Archimboldi)
  • O Guerreiro-Lobo (A Saga das Pedras Mágicas, #2)
  • Midnight's Choice (Switchers, #2)
  • Knight of Pleasure
  • crépuscule des dieux, Le (Amos Daragon, #3)
  • Un bon petit diable
  • See You Soon
  • Kill Chain (Evan Delaney, #5)
  • Jane Eyre's Husband - The Life of Edward Rochester
Les Quatre Fils du Dr. March Death from the Snows Funérarium Une âme de trop Requiem Caraibe (Seuil Policiers) (French Edition)

Share This Book

“Gekkenhuizen worden gebouwd om mensen die er niet opgesloten zitten te laten geloven dat ze nog bij hun verstand zijn. (Michel Eyquem de Montaigne)” 2 likes
More quotes…