Start by marking “The Road To Agra” as Want to Read:
The Road To Agra

The Road To Agra

Lalu journeys to Agra to take his sister to a doctor, a journey of 300 miles.
Published 1961 by Criterion Books (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Road To Agra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road To Agra

Solveig
Aug 13, 2013 Solveig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Som barn hørte jeg boken som et hørespill på radio. Historien hadde jeg glemt, men husket at den gjorde inntrykk på meg. Da jeg i voksen alder fant boken på et loppemarked måtte jeg bare kjøpe den, og jeg leste den for vår yngste datter. Det er en spennende og god historie om søskenkjærlighet og om en gutt og en jente i India med et brennende ønske om å sette seg et mål og nå det. Det er en så bra historie at vi leser den høyt igjen.
Maeta
Aug 31, 2011 Maeta rated it it was amazing
I read this in grade school and dearly loved it. I must have checked it out of the library 6 or 7 times over 2 years.
Amber
Jun 22, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing
What a lovely little book!
I found this book (with the same cover as pictured here,) at the local Goodwill for about a dollar. Such an old book, I thought, must have been very special to someone to have lasted so long in a bookshelf before being donated--and I was right, it is a special book.

The story is about a 13 or 14 year old boy named Lalu and his 7 year old sister, Maya, set in India. Maya has been lucky enough to receive a spot at the local school, and Lalu is determined to learn to read
Shaeeza Haniff
Jun 01, 2011 Shaeeza Haniff rated it really liked it
I read this book some time ago and fell in love with it. A young, smart girl with beautiful eyes wants to learn to read and write. This story tells of her journey with her brother and their faithful companion on the Road to Agra. A well told tale of adventure, luck and determination. I think this book is a must have for every young reader.
Carolann
Feb 11, 2008 Carolann rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I read this story when I was a teen, and absolutely loved it. While I have forgotten the details of the story, I recall the profound impact it had on me, and the incredible images of India it instilled.
Cicip
Mar 12, 2008 Cicip rated it really liked it
Shelves: satya
how life was so difficult, how should we love our younger brother, how should we help our parents no matter is the condition.
Shani
Oct 03, 2015 Shani rated it really liked it
A lovely story of hardships endured and final triumph of a brother's commitment to his sister's well-being. Set in India.
glynes
Aug 21, 2012 glynes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another child's bookclub find, probably the first non-silly book I ever read. A very moving story that has stayed with me all my life.
Lise
Lise rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2010
MA Eisele
MA Eisele rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2015
Eva Cahyono
Eva Cahyono rated it it was ok
Oct 28, 2014
Bjørnar Tuftin
Bjørnar Tuftin rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Czaffex
Czaffex rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2015
Morten Halvorsen
Morten Halvorsen rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2013
Kai
Kai rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
A.m.
A.m. rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2013
Old_sox
Old_sox rated it it was ok
Sep 30, 2011
Trude Arnøy
Trude Arnøy rated it really liked it
May 20, 2013
Norbert
Norbert rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2014
Julia
Julia rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2011
Sumaiya
Sumaiya rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2013
Emmatemma
Emmatemma rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Ine Drage
Aug 11, 2013 Ine Drage rated it it was amazing
My favourite childhood book !
Lacinda.taylorgmail.com
Lacinda.taylorgmail.com rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
karen
karen rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2007
Sudib
Sudib rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2014
Nonik
Nonik rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Mats Lervåg
Mats Lervåg rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Aimée Sommerfelt was a Norwegian author of numerous children's books and young adult novels.

She was most famous for her 1959 work The Road to Agra. In 1961, it became her first book to be published in the United States, being translated into English by Evelyn Ramsden. For The Road to Agra, Sommerfelt won the Jane Addams Children's Book Award and the Josette Frank Award.

Her books usually highlighte
More about Aimée Sommerfelt...