Start by marking “The Owlstone Crown” as Want to Read:
The Owlstone Crown

The Owlstone Crown

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  93 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
This afternoon would be great for skating, but Timothy and Verity Tibbs must work in a frozen field, digging parsnips for mean Maw and Paw Grimble to boil into bad-tasting medicine. What a life! When private detective Lewis O. Ladybug brings news from another world, everything changes. Gran and Gramp are in trouble, and it's up to Timothy and Verity to rescue them. Led to ...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Front Street, Incorporated (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Owlstone Crown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Owlstone Crown

The Gormenghast Novels by Mervyn PeakeThe Quincunx by Charles PalliserLady Susan by Jane AustenThe Stolen Child by Keith DonohueScaramouche by Rafael Sabatini
Best Unappreciated Books
371st out of 1,420 books — 2,350 voters
Matilda by Roald DahlHowl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne JonesAlanna by Tamora PierceA Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'EngleLioness Rampant by Tamora Pierce
Children's Fantasy of the 1980s
94th out of 95 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrick
I loved this as a kid! My mom helped me remember the author and we found this today. Little orphans doomed to a life of parsnip farming with their evil relatives escape through a moonbeam or something to another world where their grandparents are still alive, but held prisoner by an evil dictator with a funky crown, and the evil dictator has big ships shaped like owls that fly around and drop big mudballs as owl poop on their enemies' houses. It was pretty sweet.

Read this again. It doesn't hold
Nora
Jul 12, 2008 Nora rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers for read-aloud, kids 8 and older
Recommended to Nora by: Aunt Helene
Shelves: older-elementary
I can't figure out why this book didn't catch on and become an instant success-- well known by kids, teachers and librarians. The story is fun and memorable. A great fantasy for 3rd to 5th grades but slightly shorter and easier to read than others written for this age group. The adventure isn't overly complex with extensive vocabulary, which can challenge my students. The Owlstone Crown will get kids' attention from the first page in a read-aloud. It's unique! (And how many times can we say that ...more
Amanda
May 24, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-ya
I desperately want to find this again. My third grade teacher read it to my class, and then I read it over and over during the next two years. Have only found it in a library once since then.

5/24/2011 - I finally found this again in a library! I of course checked it out and have already read it. Unfortunately, while I still enjoyed it and it's one of the few books that I would actually love to see a film adaptation, it wasn't as wonderful as I remembered (isn't that what always happens?).
Renee
Jun 26, 2008 Renee rated it it was amazing
I read this when I was pretty young, and then found myself with the urge to read it again periodically over the years. I cannot say too much about the plot without giving anything away, but Timothy and Verity Tibb are two protagonists who will delight any child (or the young at heart, at the risk of sounding cliche).
Amy Jones
Feb 05, 2010 Amy Jones rated it really liked it
Another one of the books that has stuck with me. This is a children's book, and I read it as a children (er, child). But the phrase "room to bloom," which is prominent in the story, has stuck with me, and I often use it as metaphor for feeling too constrained.
Edward
Apr 23, 2008 Edward rated it really liked it
This book went out of print for a number of years, I actually had to turn to ebay to find a copy. Its a very creative childrens story about two children who embark upon a quest to find their parents. Their guide is a talking ladybug who happens to be a detective...
J. Aleksandr Wootton
Mar 29, 2013 J. Aleksandr Wootton rated it it was ok
Suitable to read aloud to children up to age 6, and as such stories go, not bad. Hardly an enduring classic. Picked this one up for free somewhere along the way; read it; promptly added it to my used-bookstore pile.
Tana
Mar 07, 2009 Tana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember getting this with a school book order it was most likely the book that made me fall in love with reading. I hope I can find it in print so my daughters can read it.
Kat V
Aug 30, 2013 Kat V rated it it was ok
it was different to what i normally read but i'd rather stick to realistic fiction
Mary McCoy
May 14, 2012 Mary McCoy rated it it was amazing
My favorite children's book of all time.
Tracey L.H.
Feb 21, 2008 Tracey L.H. rated it liked it
Another childhood favorite!
Danielle Ortiz
Danielle Ortiz rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Olivia
Olivia rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Saoirse Sterling
Saoirse Sterling marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Justin
Justin added it
Feb 04, 2016
Nick Daponte
Nick Daponte marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Mojomama13
Mojomama13 rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Peggy
Peggy added it
Oct 24, 2015
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2015
Mary Clayton
Mary Clayton rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2015
Emily
Emily added it
May 20, 2016
Douglas Busic
Douglas Busic rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2015
Asnate
Asnate marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
David Brown
David Brown marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Daniel Hunt
Daniel Hunt rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2015
Hao Xu
Hao Xu marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015