Start by marking “Echoes of the White Giraffe” as Want to Read:
Echoes of the White Giraffe

Echoes of the White Giraffe

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  19 reviews
In this sequel to Year of Impossible Goodbyes, the unforgettable heroine, Sookan, is now a refugee in Pusan, South Korea, where she strives to make her world normal again. "This inspirational work possesses a confidence and quiet triumph with universal reverberations." -- Publishers Weekly, starred review
Published February 1st 1995 by Yearling (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Echoes of the White Giraffe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Echoes of the White Giraffe

Rachel
A captivating sequel to my mind, which further's Sookan's journey into the uncertain South Korea, teen years, and attempts at creating normalcy. Always a pleasure to get a taste into another culture's history through the eyes of an intriguing character.
Nancy Bielski
I was so glad there was a follow up to Year of Impossible Goodbyes! It wasn't as good, but, as I said, it was nice to know what happened to the family.
Lisa
Sookan, who is now fifteen, is becoming older. And with age, comes responsibility. Her mother always tells her not to mess up or people will say things hurtful comments. They will say "she [Sookan] is like that because she doesn't have a father or older brothers." At school, Sookan joins a singing group, there she meets Junho. Junho is quiet and collected, he's also very smart. Junho and Sookan instantly become "everlasting friends". Thinking about her future, Sookan decides she wants to study i ...more
Cheyenne
Echos of the White Giraffe is the story of a girl who was forced to move because of the Korean War. She ends up on top of a mountain that she has to climb every day on her way home from school. I think it's a good book because she finds a new friend that she can rely on, and it was probably really hard on her, so she really needed somebody to rely on.
Ling Fang Ye
Sookan, a fifteen years old girl who lives in Pusan, Korea, a refugee. She got separation from her father and brothers because of civil war, she didn't get any information from them, but Sookan and her mother hope they can go home every day and her mom write down the information about her father and her brothers and post them on the board of refugee information center, hope can get additional clues about them. In school, she got to know a boy, Junho. Junho is very nice to her. But last, she go t ...more
Shenek
Isn't it amazing how life goes on... (this is the sequel to Year of Impossible Goodbyes).

My favorite part of this book was the fact that I've been to the places mentioned and it made the book clearer and the places more meaningful. It felt very authentic in the attitudes, thoughts, and outlook of the people. It made the book feel deeper since I have a little bit more of an insider's perspective.

At the end of this book the author moves to America because she wants to see what Americans and other
Rah~ri
Dec 08, 2007 Rah~ri rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids
picked this up
at the store tonight.
didn't mean to read it all yet.
but it flowed like the finest of poetry
and just carried me along.
to be able to touch ever so lightly,
gently, such a harsh subject as war ?
and to still keep the elemants of life so ever present
and to convey the continuity of "life"
even amidst all the destruction...?
What an important thing
for young(or oldish) readers to see.
great little book.
sweetly written.
still left with a slight lump in my throat
and much to think about.
glad i g
Erin Sterling
3.5. Set in South Korea in the 1950s, Sookan and her mother and younger brother are living in a refugee camp in Pusan on the top of a mountain, separated from her father and older brothers. Sookan adjusts to life, making friends and developing a crush on a boy from a prominent family. I was enthralled by the first half of the story and realized (rather embarrassingly) that I do not have much knowledge of Korean history, but the second half seemed to speed along too quickly through the years and ...more
Mandy
As someone's true to life experience as a refugee during the Korean War I learned more of traditional customs and social expectations in Korea through this quick read. I was struck by the simplicity of Sookan's appreciation for the small blessings in her life as a refugee.
Bert Edens
Interestingly enough, I read the first and third book in this series before reading the second book. So in many ways, I already knew what would happen in this book. That in no way distracted from the story, as I love Choi's writing and the way she guides Sookan through her trials and tribulations.

Definitely a wonderful story.
Phil's mom gave me this to read about what life was like for the people who had to leave their homes during the Korean War. It is very well written even though I found out later it is meant as a children's book. It is second in a series of 3-although unfortunately, I read it first.
Brittany
Like Sing Down the Moon, I do not remember much from this book. I o remember some of the story and I read it once and tried for a good long while to find it so I could read it again. It's safe to say I was extremely pleased.
Asmaa
it was one of the first novels I read when I was 12-years old, it inspired me to read and drawn me to the seas of books.
Gaosheng Yang
This book is great it's touching and sad. This book makes me think how important family and friends are in life.
sarah
about a girl living after she escaped communisim of russians. interesting story.
Vanessa
Youth fiction! Read this during self-selected reading time at school.
JoAnn
I didn't like it as much as the first book though....
Liz Heskett
they got free.
Tina Langston
So glad I read it!
Volunteer Library
Volunteer Library marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Jewels
Jewels marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
  • Young Joan
  • Ruby Lu, Brave and True
  • My Daniel
  • How a Book Is Made
  • The Memoirs of Lady Hyegyŏng: The Autobiographical Writings of a Crown Princess of Eighteenth-Century Korea
Year of Impossible Goodbyes Gathering of Pearls Halmoni and the Picnic Yunmi and Halmoni's Trip BEST OLDER SISTER, THE (FCC) (Yearling First Choice Chapter Book)