Start by marking “The Monster, And Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Monster, And Other Stories

The Monster, And Other Stories

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  12 reviews
- The Monster (1898) is the story of an African-American coachman who is branded a 'monster'after being hideously disfigured whilst saving his master's son from a fire. It explores the themes of prejudice, fear and isolation in small town America.

- The Blue Hotel (1898) is a fascinating Expressionist tale about a man who gets into trouble after staying at a hotel.

- His N
Published November 30th 2005 by Adamant Media Corporation (first published 1898)

To ask other readers questions about The Monster, And Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monster, And Other Stories

Teresa
Com uma escrita envolvente e preciosa, Stephen Crane concebe três histórias que vão muito além do que relatam.

O Monstro
Uma casa a arder. Uma criança presa no meio das chamas. Um homem que a salva, ficando transformado numa coisa. Um pai que leva ao limite a sua gratidão. Uma comunidade que tem medo de um homem apenas porque ele tem o rosto desfigurado.
O que é mais assustador? Um homem fisicamente destruído, ou a mente humana?

O Hotel Azul
Um homem chega a uma cidade e hospeda-se num hotel. Desc
Erin
I really liked this book. I found it from a list of books Ernest Hemingway recommended to an aspiring writer, which included one of these three short stories. This collection includes The Monster, The Blue Hotel (Hemingway's recommendation), and The New Mittens. I enjoyed all three stories. I thought Stephen Crane's writing style might be too old fashioned or inaccessible, but I found the stories easy to read and quite thought-provoking. Crane can really illustrate with his words, and is effecti ...more
Fernando Guerreiro
Uma boa descoberta nas promoções e nos descontos. A escrita é fluída e agarra-nos desde o primeiro momento. Os contos estão carregados de significados e de portas que estão à espera da serem abertas para nos confrontarmos com alguns dos nossos medos. O ambiente das histórias é de início de século nos Estados Unidos e conseguem-se cheirar as tensões raciais e de classes da sociedade da época.

Recomendo.
Stella
An interesting collection of short stories but sadly the star of this collection, "The Monster," left me feeling disappointed. The story has an interesting plot & a lot of promise that for me was ruined by the way it's minority characters were portrayed. I cringe to think that in Mr. Crane's day he was probably seen as writing Henry in a sympathetic light. But with the benefit of an era far removed from his own these efforts come up far short & as a modern reader I can't help but feel a ...more
Richard Givan
Good writing, but dated language and style.
Sara
Word by word, Stephen Crane is becoming one of my favorite writers. He has a knack for rendering in just the right syntax and diction just the right detail, and in doing so lodging deep in the reader’s mind the images he conjures as well as big-picture sentiments at the heart of being human. He does so skillfully without being overt. And here all these years I had thought of Crane as the guy who wrote The Red Badge of Courage which a lot people had to read in junior high school.
Norm
Stephen Crane is a mixture of Stephen Leacock and Edgar Allen Poe - small town life with a dark side. His story The Monster is surprising as it develops from a whimsical portrayal of whimsical small town life into a sinister tale which reveals the dark side of human nature. The best of all is that it has a CBC ending. For you non-Canadians that means you get to the end of the story and you say, "What? That's the ending? What kind of an ending is that?"
M.S. Hund
Fearless and bombastic in style. Over the top, but in a confident and delightful way.
Gabriel
More than Red Badge of Courage, The Monster is my favorite Crane novel/novella. It is unfortunately not as well known as either Red Badge or Maggie (the inferior of the three). NOT horror, but it does discuss cruelty and segregation in ways that few other authors were doing in the late 1800's. If you are interested in Crane's works besides Red Badge, this is the book you should pick up.
Mark Stephenson
Few readers will leave this short novel, an unsparing portrayal of human foibles in 'Whilomville, U.S.A.',entirely comfortable - which I suppose was Crane's intent. Was Dr. Trescott on Harper Lee's mind when she created Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird? This masterful story, published in 1899, not only amused and interested, but also moved me.
Kyle Sheffer
Ended very abruptly, but loved the style of writing and it made me think about the little things that we let get in our way of accepting others around us for the good that they do.
Jackie
The Blue Hotel was quite good, but The Monster was too heavy-handed for me.
Candi
Candi marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
João Carlos
João Carlos marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Joseph Smigelski
Joseph Smigelski marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Kadie
Kadie marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Marjolein
Marjolein marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Mallory Heart Reviews
Mallory Heart Reviews marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Sharon Riedel
Sharon Riedel marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Jim Stout
Jim Stout marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Joanna
Joanna is currently reading it
Jan 25, 2015
Gregory Rothbard
Gregory Rothbard marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Evan Quinlan
Evan Quinlan marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
19879
Stephen Crane was an American novelist, poet and journalist, best known for the novel Red Badge of Courage. That work introduced the reading world to Crane's striking prose, a mix of impressionism, naturalism and symbolism. He died at age 28 in Badenweiler, Baden, Germany.

More about Stephen Crane...
The Red Badge of Courage The Red Badge of Courage and Selected Short Fiction  Maggie: A Girl of the Streets The Open Boat and Other Stories The Open Boat