Start by marking “The Monster, And Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Monster, And Other Stories

The Monster, And Other Stories

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  92 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
- The Monster (1898) is the story of an African-American coachman who is branded a 'monster'after being hideously disfigured whilst saving his master's son from a fire. It explores the themes of prejudice, fear and isolation in small town America.

- The Blue Hotel (1898) is a fascinating Expressionist tale about a man who gets into trouble after staying at a hotel.

- His N
Published November 30th 2005 by Adamant Media Corporation (first published 1898)

To ask other readers questions about The Monster, And Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monster, And Other Stories

Joseph
Jun 07, 2015 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Monster and Other Stories by Stephen Crane and Published By Dover Thrift Editions is a collection of three short stories by Stephen Crane. This collection includes “Monster”, “The Blue Hotel”, and “His New Mittens.”

I admit, I never read Red Badge of Courage even though I should have at least twice through first twelve years of schooling. The book never came up in my college studies and graduate school as required reading, but I was interested in it although I had too much required reading to ge
Teresa
May 25, 2015 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Com uma escrita envolvente e preciosa, Stephen Crane concebe três histórias que vão muito além do que relatam.

O Monstro
Uma casa a arder. Uma criança presa no meio das chamas. Um homem que a salva, ficando transformado numa coisa. Um pai que leva ao limite a sua gratidão. Uma comunidade que tem medo de um homem apenas porque ele tem o rosto desfigurado.
O que é mais assustador? Um homem fisicamente destruído, ou a mente humana?

O Hotel Azul
Um homem chega a uma cidade e hospeda-se num hotel. Desc
Erin
May 08, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I found it from a list of books Ernest Hemingway recommended to an aspiring writer, which included one of these three short stories. This collection includes The Monster, The Blue Hotel (Hemingway's recommendation), and The New Mittens. I enjoyed all three stories. I thought Stephen Crane's writing style might be too old fashioned or inaccessible, but I found the stories easy to read and quite thought-provoking. Crane can really illustrate with his words, and is effecti ...more
Steve
May 18, 2016 Steve rated it liked it
Meghan
Sep 01, 2015 Meghan rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Whenever I need to feed illiterate, I read stories from the late nineteenth/early twentieth century. I'd like to think that earlier writers just really liked their thesauri, or maybe in the past people just really liked those Improve Your Vocabulary quizzes, but still, my goodness are there a lot of words I don't know.

The Monster and Other Stories, fitting into that last nineteenth/early twentieth century category has words I don't know. It has the word dude used in a non-surfer way. It has so
Carolyn Injoy
Jun 17, 2015 Carolyn Injoy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, reviewed, horror
I received a free kindle copy of The Monster and Other Stories by Stephen Crane, published by Dover Publishing from NetGalley in exchange for a fair review.

I gave this book of stories five stars. It's a classic. The Monster is the primary story & has dated language & social mores, but still stands the test of time. For a dose of mild horror, I recommend it.

Link to purchase: http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Other-S...
Fernando Guerreiro
Uma boa descoberta nas promoções e nos descontos. A escrita é fluída e agarra-nos desde o primeiro momento. Os contos estão carregados de significados e de portas que estão à espera da serem abertas para nos confrontarmos com alguns dos nossos medos. O ambiente das histórias é de início de século nos Estados Unidos e conseguem-se cheirar as tensões raciais e de classes da sociedade da época.

Recomendo.
Stella
May 15, 2014 Stella rated it it was ok
An interesting collection of short stories but sadly the star of this collection, "The Monster," left me feeling disappointed. The story has an interesting plot & a lot of promise that for me was ruined by the way it's minority characters were portrayed. I cringe to think that in Mr. Crane's day he was probably seen as writing Henry in a sympathetic light. But with the benefit of an era far removed from his own these efforts come up far short & as a modern reader I can't help but feel a ...more
Charles C VanCott
A Gen

The Monster presents a parable of unselfish sacrifice in an unforgiving world. In that world, "[a] matter of conscience," as one character points out, might he "one of the blunders of virtue."
Richard Givan
Apr 19, 2015 Richard Givan rated it liked it
Good writing, but dated language and style.
Sara
Apr 18, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing
Word by word, Stephen Crane is becoming one of my favorite writers. He has a knack for rendering in just the right syntax and diction just the right detail, and in doing so lodging deep in the reader’s mind the images he conjures as well as big-picture sentiments at the heart of being human. He does so skillfully without being overt. And here all these years I had thought of Crane as the guy who wrote The Red Badge of Courage which a lot people had to read in junior high school.
Norm
Oct 16, 2012 Norm rated it it was amazing
Stephen Crane is a mixture of Stephen Leacock and Edgar Allen Poe - small town life with a dark side. His story The Monster is surprising as it develops from a whimsical portrayal of whimsical small town life into a sinister tale which reveals the dark side of human nature. The best of all is that it has a CBC ending. For you non-Canadians that means you get to the end of the story and you say, "What? That's the ending? What kind of an ending is that?"
M.S. Hund
Feb 09, 2014 M.S. Hund rated it really liked it
Fearless and bombastic in style. Over the top, but in a confident and delightful way.
Gabriel
Jul 31, 2008 Gabriel rated it it was amazing
More than Red Badge of Courage, The Monster is my favorite Crane novel/novella. It is unfortunately not as well known as either Red Badge or Maggie (the inferior of the three). NOT horror, but it does discuss cruelty and segregation in ways that few other authors were doing in the late 1800's. If you are interested in Crane's works besides Red Badge, this is the book you should pick up.
Mark Stephenson
Mar 31, 2010 Mark Stephenson rated it it was amazing
Few readers will leave this short novel, an unsparing portrayal of human foibles in 'Whilomville, U.S.A.',entirely comfortable - which I suppose was Crane's intent. Was Dr. Trescott on Harper Lee's mind when she created Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird? This masterful story, published in 1899, not only amused and interested, but also moved me.
Kyle Sheffer
Jul 28, 2010 Kyle Sheffer rated it really liked it
Ended very abruptly, but loved the style of writing and it made me think about the little things that we let get in our way of accepting others around us for the good that they do.
Jackie
Apr 16, 2013 Jackie rated it liked it
The Blue Hotel was quite good, but The Monster was too heavy-handed for me.
Scott S
Scott S is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2016
Alva
Alva marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
John Sheridan
John Sheridan rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Henry Nieberg
Henry Nieberg rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Sandra Carvalho
Sandra Carvalho rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Linus Vieira
Linus Vieira marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Mario
Mario rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Janet
Janet rated it it was ok
Feb 28, 2016
James Ruggia
James Ruggia rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Jerry
Jerry marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Ambre Lee
Ambre Lee rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
19879
Stephen Crane was an American novelist, poet and journalist, best known for the novel Red Badge of Courage. That work introduced the reading world to Crane's striking prose, a mix of impressionism, naturalism and symbolism. He died at age 28 in Badenweiler, Baden, Germany.

More about Stephen Crane...

“He was submitting, submitting because of his fathers, bending his mind in a most perfect slavery to this conflagration.” 0 likes
“Each man in this stretcher party had gained a reflected majesty. They were footmen to death, and” 0 likes