Start by marking “Fighting the Current” as Want to Read:
Fighting the Current

Fighting the Current

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  59 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Theresa "Tee" Stanford figures her life is smooth sailing, but everything changes when a drunk driver hits her father, leaving him mentally disabled. With her last year of high school looming, Tee can no longer rely on her old dreams for the future.
Published September 1st 2004 by Lobster Press (first published January 9th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Fighting the Current, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fighting the Current

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by hoopsielv for TeensReadToo.com

Tee's senior year of high school should be filled with happy memories of friends, family, and college dreams. It's anything but that. A local drunk hit her father and he's in rehabilitation with the ability of a five-year-old. Since she doesn't have much of a relationship with her mother, Tee is living with an aunt who is a popular author.

It's time for Tee to put her life back together. She is a good student and wants to get an early acceptance to a pre
Bniceygresham
Apr 16, 2009 Bniceygresham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is about a girl whose father gets hit by a drunk driver and leaves him in an almost vegetative state. When her father finally comes out of the coma, he has the mind and the memory of a child. Throughout the book he gains his memory back but its not enough because the girl is facing many more problems than that. She thought senior year was supposed to be easy with a canoing trip but that was before she met Ethan, Ellie, and Dr. Spellman. She has to realize things on her own although nothing ...more
Purpleduck
This was a suprisingly good YA contemporary. I got this book a few years ago as a gift and it had been sitting on my shelf ever since. I had no idea what this book was about going in because I had never heard of it and I don't like reading the blurb on the back. This is one of the better YA contemporaries I've read. There's also the added bonus that it Canadian so it was nice reading about a setting I'm more familiar with.
Brittany
Jan 09, 2012 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great read. I found myself not really wanting to put it down. Although the book was good I thought the ending could have been a little better. It was almost like the end of the book was rushed, just to get it done. Overall the book was a great read though.
Willie Gresham
Dec 09, 2015 Willie Gresham rated it really liked it
About a girl whose father gets hit and it leaves him in a vegetative state. He recovers but has the memory of a child. He slowly gains his memory back but the girl must learn that she has to be independent of everyone if she wants to potential to hold on to her dreams.
Bernice
May 06, 2009 Bernice rated it really liked it
Haley Wieting
I really loved how Heather made you think about what would you have done if that happened to you. I also liked how everything was tied together and you could understand everything that was going on in the book.
Nichole Horton
Feb 28, 2011 Nichole Horton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was touched by this story. It was powerful and I couldn't put it down. I would leap at the opprutunity to read the book again (And Again).
Brayden
Jun 21, 2016 Brayden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This really was a beautiful book. I had read a previous book by this author and thought it was okay but this one blew me away.
De'ondre Prentiss
I read this book for a class project in my Drivers Ed Class. One of the best books I've read
Celine
Jul 20, 2012 Celine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I can't wait to read it again.
Klara
Klara rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Kathy
Kathy added it
Jul 28, 2016
Chloe
Chloe added it
Jun 23, 2016
Jacob Oommen
Jacob Oommen marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Breeze
Breeze added it
Jan 27, 2016
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Pamela Martinez
Pamela Martinez rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Claire
Claire added it
Sep 23, 2015
Raphaëlla
Raphaëlla rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Anjali
Anjali rated it really liked it
May 25, 2015
Sabreen
Sabreen marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Leng Teresa
Leng Teresa rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2015
Morgan Hasselman
Morgan Hasselman marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Laura rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Catherine Wen
Catherine Wen rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Heather Waldorf was born in Ottawa and raised in small-town Eastern Ontario. She now lives in Toronto with Moose, a twelve-year-old golden retriever. Heather is addicted to green tea, jigsaw puzzles, mystery novels and the TV show Bones. Also a lover of the great outdoors, she's never written a novel that doesn't, at some point, put the main character in a canoe.

Heather received her fine arts degr
More about Heather Waldorf...