Off the Map: The Curious Histories of Place-Names

Off the Map: The Curious Histories of Place-Names

3.13 of 5 stars 3.13  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  14 reviews
How did the names of countries, cities, rivers, mountains, and entire peoples originate? Why do some names -- like the Red Sea, which is not red at all -- miss the target? The answers are in this armchair adventure that takes the reader through the history of place names, from the time of Ptolemy to the breakup of Yugoslavia.

Native names are only part of the fascinating st

Published November 1st 1999 by Kodansha America (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Off the Map, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Off the Map

Cheryl in CC NV
I have to be honest, I'm disappointed. I felt like the author had a bunch of notecards, and pretty much copied them down according to an outline. Needed an editor to tell him to use transitions, segues, a narrative, bullets, topic sentences... something! Lots of interesting tidbits, though, and lots of very cool historical maps.

I definitely recommend any of you who can get it from your library pick it up just to see what the cartographers have done with our globe over time.

An example of a notew...more
Ralph McEwen
I found the book a little dry. For a small book it covered a lot and the topic is dry. I am left feeling that all maps should come with a disclaimer that all sizes are approximated and names should be verified before traveling. There are some humorous stories and a lot of interesting facts (at least I hope they are facts). I was some what bothered finding out that even modern maps are subject to political pressure and suffer for it. It is said that history is written by the winners and I guess t...more
Eliza
This book is extremely unorganized. The author skips to different geographic places every paragraph, and there is no rhyme or reason for the sudden change. The book does not flow well, and does not seem to have a point, just that many place names have odd origins that don't make sense unless the roots are traced back, and that maps are extremely dependent on who it was that made them.

I would not recommend this book. Although parts were moderately interesting, the author disputes himself in place...more
Maureen
There was a lot of information in this book, so much so that I'm not sure I even held onto it. Some paragraphs contain information on unrelated things. While it's fun to know where names came from, I'm afraid there are just too many little tidbits of information here so that you don't really get a good grasp on the larger points he makes about how place names are created, reproduced, and so forth. I appreciate Nelson's efforts, but a lot more editing and more focused discussions, several case st...more
Quin
I decided to read this book as a break from novels (for the evening, at least), and it did the trick. It wasn't fantastic, but it was enjoyable overall. My biggest complaint would be that it was at times over-simplified. Some of the explanations of word origin and lingual differences, in particular, could have used more explanation and less "dumbing down". It was a really fast read, and I would think it would make a good book for an airplane or other several hour trip...
It contains lots of maps...more
Dave
I liked this book. It wasn't heavy reading. It was fast and interesting. I'm sure that Derek could have made this into a really scholarly work, but then who would want to read it? As it was, I found it fast enough of a read that I didn't loose interest.

I would recommend this to anyone who has ever stared at a map and wondered about how places must have gotten their names.

My one negative comment would be as to the quality reproduction of the maps that Derek included in the body of his text. If th...more
Erica
summary: places have names. some places have or have had more than one name. sometimes the history of those names is complicated. unfortunately, he went on. and on. and on, in a very disjointed, superficial listing of those names and how they were derived. i don't think there were 2 consecutive paragraphs in the book that stuck with any one topic. oh well. cool old maps though.
Jim
This book is a fun, quick read. It gives interesting and sometimes oddball explanations as to how hundreds of place names around the world came to be, but it could benefit by some beter organizational scheme either geographical or chronological. The author touches down at semingly randon points on the globe tells us a story or two and then moves on.
Watson
This would be a neat introductory text to map history, but it's kind of a rambling collection of cartographic and historical curiosities without much structure. There are some interesting anecdotes about place names and speculative maps, but nothing that really sets this book apart.
Kristen
Dec 17, 2012 Kristen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: map lovers
Lots of fun little tidbits, but not much organization. Though tackling place names of the entire world in one book of this size would be pretty impossible without a lot of jumping around anyway! It was interesting if you are a person who loves maps
Taylor
Great concept, lackluster delivery. As someone who loves maps, the topic pulled me in. As someone who loves good writing, I wasn't impressed.
Paul
Meh. One good thing about this book it is much shorter than Moby Dick.
Sara
enjoyable,fairly light read about geographic names.
Mary
Fascinating!
JLTRhatigan
JLTRhatigan is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2014
Kerrie
Kerrie marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Allan
Allan marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Andrea
Andrea added it
Jun 13, 2014
Andrea Resmini
Andrea Resmini marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Karl
Karl marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Coffee-drinker
Coffee-drinker marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Fans of Maps: December Group Read - Off The Map 16 16 Dec 14, 2011 12:44PM
The American State Fair The Ads That Won the War The Posters That Won the War Danger: Life And Death Stories From The Us Navy's Approach Magazine Moonshiners, Bootleggers & Rumrunners