Start by marking “The Homeschool Liberation League” as Want to Read:
The Homeschool Liberation League

The Homeschool Liberation League

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  174 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
After a summer at Wilderness Camp, thirteen year-old Katya decides that she absolutely cannot go back to school. At school she can’t eradicate invasive alien plants, go on foraged-food-finding missions, or just be herself. Her parents, despite being “school kind of people,” are willing to give it a try, but Katya has to stick to their (just-like-school!) assignments. This ...more
Published July 9th 2009 by Dial Books

Deborah Heiligman
Jun 15, 2009 Deborah Heiligman rated it it was amazing
As a parent who (reluctantly) homeschooled a teenager I can tell you this book is spot on. As someone who loves to read novels that are gripping, have a main character you can love, I can tell you this is a book not to miss. I picked it up one Saturday morning and could not put it down until I finished it. I think the author captures beautifully the struggles of a teenager who is different, and particularly the struggles she has in a traditional school setting. I think if I had read this book wh ...more
Jan 03, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
I'm usually not one to be pro-constructivist education (I'm firmly in the "you need a good solid background before you Follow Your Bliss" camp) but this book captures what's right about homeschooling.

Katya's back from summer camp, feeling very much as though she's changed from the Kaity who'd gotten into trouble the year before, the Kaity who'd not cared about school, and the Kaity who'd gone out with Tyler. After walking out before the first day of school even starts, she engages in a campaign
Tana
May 30, 2010 Tana rated it did not like it
Lifesucking. I can't think of another way to describe this book that makes you want to sing "Born Free" and cause you to think of all the great quotes from Einstein and Churchill and Twain on true education and you marvel at the life of a teenage girl making real decisions and having real questions about life and finding real anwers from people she has networked by herself and then it sucks it all back and leaves you with the charred remains. This did a good job introducing those who haven't exp ...more
Hayden
Nov 15, 2009 Hayden rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, romance, chick-lit
Cute. This was really maybe a 3.5-er, but why not round up?

Everybody hates middle school, but Jessica REALLY hates it, and after an inspirational summer at a nature camp, she's determined to find a way to avoid 8th grade. She hits on the idea of homeschooling, and after initial resistance, her busy working class parents actually go for it. But her idea of homeschooling is very different from theirs, and drama ensues. Meanwhile, Jessica meets a cute boy, Milo, a violin prodigy who is homeschooled
Dianna
May 05, 2010 Dianna rated it liked it
Thirteen-year-old Kaity has just returned from nature camp and is about to go back to school. She goes back for the first day and leaves before the first bell even rings. She's going to homeschool, she decides. Oh, and she's changing her name to Katya.

Hmm, maybe I'm getting old, but I just didn't connect with this book. First of all, the spelling and capitalization problems and abbreviations in the text messages really bothered me. And they will. Forever.

Second, I thought Kaity/Katya was whiny.
BookKids
Nov 08, 2010 BookKids rated it really liked it
Shelves: midgrade, realistic
Kaity (who prefers the name Katya) runs away from school on the first day when she realizes that the person she is at school is not the person she wants to be. She doesn’t want to conform to middle school social pressures, and she doesn’t want to waste her time doing uninteresting busywork. What she wants to do is homeschool and spend most of her time intensively studying invasive plants.

From there, the book deals with her parents’ see-sawing views on homeschooling and her new homeschooled frien
Jasmine
Nov 09, 2014 Jasmine rated it really liked it
Shelves: dial
That was amazingly fun. A lovely depiction of the issues with middle school, whether you're in public school or homeschooled, and how to conquer your way out of it.
Aug 23, 2015 Sarah rated it it was ok
I was going back and forth between giving this book two or three stars. I settled on two because, while I did like the book, it was not at all what I was expecting, which made it a little less enjoyable.

I am thankful that Rosie was a very minor character and the fact that she has two "moms" was not constantly brought up so that I didn't feel hounded, but I do want to give a heads up to people who might want to know about that type of thing in books.

Also, there was a lot of, shall we say, crass
Hanah
Apr 18, 2015 Hanah rated it really liked it
Donna
Nov 13, 2009 Donna rated it really liked it
Shelves: teens, tweens
A fun breezy read that gets in a lot of ideas about how people can learn in different ways. Its sure to get the reader thinking about learning for fun, rather than for a grade. Oh, and it sneaks in a sweet love story too.
Christi
Nov 18, 2012 Christi rated it it was ok
Was looking for something good for Grace. This definitely wasn't it. Not her style, but some of the content should NOT be in a youth book. I think this should have been upstairs with the teen reads.
Anne Hawn Smith
This is a great book about an extremely intelligent girl who is bored to tears with her school and wants to homeschool. She has great ideas for science projects which she desperately wants to continue, but she keeps being pulled back by her mind numbing school. She finally gets her parents to let her try homeschool, but they make her life so regimented with lesson plans they have found that she has only transferred her place of schooling and not they type of education she needs.

In the course of
Kelly Sprecker
Nov 23, 2009 Kelly Sprecker rated it really liked it
Milo: Dreamiest freshman around. Katya: Bratty eighth grader. However, still a likeable character. I home schooled grades 4-10, and the book is fairly true to the beginning of home schooling. It was nice to take a stroll down memory lane. I agree with the user who said they'd give this 3.5.

Annoyances:
GED
Her parents disapproving of GED's, wanting "more" for Katya. You can do anything you would like in life with a GED as long as you are determined.
Education
The lack of actual accredited courses m
E. Anderson
Aug 31, 2009 E. Anderson rated it liked it
Anyone who's ever been to middle school has, at least once, felt the dread of waking up in the morning, knowing it won't be long before you walk through the front doors of a prison-esque humiliatorium designed to stupefy and bore. Kaitlyn - now calling herself "Katya" - has had enough. This will be the year she escapes the dull classes of MVB Middle School (which have lead her to some, er, creative trouble-making). Inspired by her wilderness camp experience with homeschooled friend Rosie and men ...more
Madeline Smoot
Nov 03, 2010 Madeline Smoot rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade

Subrina Rafiq
Dec 02, 2010 Subrina Rafiq rated it it was amazing
Katya is determined, very curious, and a liar when needed. But, her world is not as good as it seems. Katya is going through the biggest crisis of her life. In the book The Homeschool Liberation League by Lucy Frank you will go into Katya’s weird world.
This book is about a girl named Katya. Katya has a problem she cannot go back to school after what happened at Wilderness Camp over the summer. Besides, school was just not her Katya’s thing. She would rather find weird fruits in the forest to m
Johanna
Sep 03, 2013 Johanna rated it did not like it
As a homeschooler walking through the teen section of the library, this book caught my eye. Yay! A book about other homeschoolers! Finally, something good that I can relate to!

Not so much.

Maybe my Christian homeschooler experience is a little too narrow. But nothing in this book was at all relatable to any part of my education. It's not like the girl, oh, hmm, maybe DISCUSSED her education with her parents. She was enrolled in middle school, but she just walked out on the first day of eighth gra
Ubalstecha
Kenzie
Sep 04, 2013 Kenzie rated it really liked it
[Rating Clarification: 3.5 (You know, because I'm all about half ratings :P)]

For those of you who haven't known me long enough to know: I'm homeschooled. So trying to ignore my curiosity for this book was the equivalent of saying no to nutella. It just doesn't work. I can't be the only one who has had this happen: You're happily browsing your library's bookshelves, and you see a title or cover that just snags your eye. You continue on, acting like you aren't totally checking out the book as look
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

After spending a great summer at Wilderness Discovery Camp, thirteen-year-old Katya doesn't want to go back to school and will do anything to avoid returning. She convinces her parents to try homeschooling for one month.

Homeschooling, she thinks, will allow her to explore what she wants to learn about. She even meets a cute boy named Milo and starts dating him. Best of all, she doesn't have to set foot in a stuffy school and learn what she's forced to study
Saronai
Jul 22, 2012 Saronai rated it really liked it
I read this book with my son. He read a few chapters to us, but I read most of them to him instead. He's only ten and interested in homeschooling, which we will be trying next year.

We both immensely enjoyed this book together. Nearly all the characters in it are interesting and I found its diversions from predictability refreshing. There were a few things I was so sure we'd have to endure in the story and I found myself pleased it didn't go there.

Occasionally, the book came off as a thinly veil
Carrie
Feb 19, 2010 Carrie rated it liked it
After spending a summer at nature camp, Katya hates the idea of having to start middle school. It’s boring, she isn’t allowed to learn about what she wants to learn about, and even though she’s trying to turn over a new leaf, she knows she’ll go back to causing trouble just to have something to do. Her solution? Homeschooling. She’ll be able to spend as much time outside with plants and animals as she wants.

Her parents, of course, have a slightly different plan. Once Katya has finally convinced
Ava R.
Jun 03, 2015 Ava R. rated it it was amazing
This book was THE BEST book I have ever read!!! If you set your mind to reading the book, and go along, you could finish it quickly. One thing I loved about the book is that it doesn't make you think a lot. Although every once and a while there are a few paragraphs that make you think!!! Love it!!!!!
Chelita Lundell
Apr 12, 2016 Chelita Lundell rated it it was amazing
I relished in the "freedom" the main character experienced on her first day of "unschooling" herself. I myself know what "that" feels like as a homeschooling mom. ;) A very sweet book about all of the ways American children can learn.
Jodi
Jan 26, 2011 Jodi rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschool
This was a cute story. Homeschooling (or thinking about homeschooling) parents and tween/teens will enjoy this book. The author does a great job showing what most homeschooling parents go through: the worrying over whether or not we are doing what's best for our kids; the way parents change their homeschooling style the longer they've been at it, etc. And also both sides of the public school/homeschool coin: school not being the right place for all teens to learn/homeschooling not totally workin ...more
Addie Bishop
Dec 15, 2014 Addie Bishop rated it really liked it
Cute and easy-to-read book.
Katie K
Jan 11, 2010 Katie K rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this book but I really liked it and I already have a handful of kids at the library who I think would like it too. It's an interesting set-up and definitely a timely one. I also liked that Frank puts the emphasis on the importance of finding the right situation for you, whether it be homeschooling or public school or a combo of both. The romance between Milo and Katya was sweet but the cast of public school friends felt unfinished.
Erin Sterling
After spending an amazing summer at Wilderness Camp and making a good friend who is homeschooled, Katya decides that she needs to be homeschooled as well. While her parents are reluctant, specifically because they both have their own work and do not feel capable of homeschooling, Katya convinces them to let her try. Katya forms the Homeschool Liberation League with her new friends Milo and Francesca. The book is cute and sweet but nothing special.
laaaaames
Apr 02, 2010 laaaaames rated it it was ok
Younger than I expected, though that's not why I didn't love it. Mostly it's just a mess to me - so much going on, doesn't seem harnessed into a true structure or anything. Also I thought the Dimitri plotline was going to be more interesting/heartbreaking than it turned out to be.

I did like the admission that maybe some schools pretty much suck and are bad for kids. I know my grade school did/was!

(read: 36)
Jenn Estepp
Jan 25, 2016 Jenn Estepp rated it liked it
fun fact: one of the reasons i don't have kids is because i'm pretty sure i'd want to homeschool them. and do so for reasons very familiar to katya, the heroine of this book. overall, i thought her story was decent, although i expected to be a little more enamored of it than i actually was, as the characters grate a bit at times and occasionally veer towards stereotype.
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret UFOs
  • The Bloodstone Chronicles: A Journey of Faith (Journeys to Fayrah, #1-4)
  • The Adventures of Caterwaul the Cat: Feline Pie
  • Blimpo: The Third Circle of Heck
  • Free Range Learning How Homeschooling Changes Everything
  • Donald Duck: A Christmas for Shacktown (The Carl Barks Library, #11)
  • Instead of Education: Ways to Help People Do Things Better
  • Crows & Cards
  • Leopards' Gold (Chronicles of the Red King #3)
  • Pursued (Left Behind: The Kids, #5-8)
  • Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense
  • Unschooling Rules: 55 Ways to Unlearn What We Know about Schools and Rediscover Education
  • The Well-Adjusted Child: The Social Benefits of Homeschooling
  • Robot Zot!
  • The Cowgirl Aunt of Harriet Bean (Harriet Bean, #3)
  • I, Lorelei
  • Rising Star (Fame School, #2)
  • Eruption (Storm Runners, #3)