Start by marking “The Blacker the Berry” as Want to Read:
The Blacker the Berry

The Blacker the Berry (Wild Wild West Series #2)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  1,801 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
Tamara Holifield could never have guessed one little favor would change her entire world, but it does. When her best friend Charlotte's husband Ty asks her to come out to visit to cheer up the homebound pregnant woman, she readily agrees. The only problem with Ty's plan is Tamara's lack of a car. Luckily for her, he has a solution, in the form of his best friend, lawyer Ru ...more
Published October 2008 by Loose Id, LLC

Michelle Gilmore
I liked it. I liked Tamara as the heroine. She was plus sized and owned it. The entire story wasn't spent on her feeling insecure about her size, and Russell needing to make her feel better. Although I enjoyed the story overall, I felt like Russell's possessiveness was a bit too much too soon. He reminded me of one of those the alpha heroes you read about in a werewolf/ shifter novel with him thinking "mine" all the time. Where did that come from after just meeting each other through mutual frie ...more
Elise-Pinterest+Goodreads=The Perfect Book Boyfriend
I enjoyed this book because it had a plus sized heroine and the book kept the characters "real" without being completely urban. Somewhat rushed, especially towards the end, but a good story none the less. I am in the middle of a vampire series and this is a very good break from that.
BlebeTanja
Sep 11, 2011 BlebeTanja rated it really liked it
I loved the heroine, Tamara, right from page one. You see, all-the-authors-that-can't-produce-a-half-decent-herione-if-their-life-depended-on-it, this is how it's done! Woot woot!

“No, later.” Tamara lowered her voice to a mock whisper. “When the stinky boys aren’t around.”
“Oh, that’s easy.” Charlotte glanced up at her husband and batted her eyes. “Honey, poof. Be gone.”
Heeeheee! Hee. ._.

I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said I rolled on the bed with laughter while reading. You should've seen me,
Michelle
Aug 23, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
Holy hilarity cliched sexy goodness! I don't know how or why I picked up this book, but once I saw the title, I couldn't NOT read it. It delivered the goods - boy meets girl, they have sexy time and somewhere in between that's not clearly marked, they fall in love.

He's a cowboy and she's a brat. And of course, there's a little blond woman in the wings trying to complicate things. LMFAO.

I wouldn't exactly recommend this book, but I enjoyed it.
Shawnette
Jan 01, 2009 Shawnette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll have to agree with the other reviewer, “The Blacker the Berry” is definitely a HIGHLY erotic, yet emotionally charged romantic treat. Tamara and Russell are a PERFECT combination and their antics throughout kept me turning the pages to see what would happen next. The witty dialogue and sexually charged banter makes the story lively and at times LOL funny. There was NEVER a dull moment. Looking forward to reading more of Mrs. Matthews work.
Tina
This was very much a by the numbers romance -- guy and girl meet, they have a moment of conflict, they are attracted blah blah blah. I actually did not feel the build up of romance and connection that takes a story from being an "ok, fine" romance to a "sigh, that was great" romance.
Shayna
Mar 31, 2009 Shayna rated it it was amazing
Very funny and the chemistry between Tamara and Russell was hot!!
Mspraise50
May 16, 2013 Mspraise50 rated it it was amazing
I loved it great read.
Erotic Horizon
I didn’t let my mind settled before I was opening up this follow up book to FOR LOVE SAKE ONLY and from page one I was immersed. The two main characters in THE BLACKER THE BERRY really stepped up to the plate and make me see them as individuals rather than extensions of Ty and Charlotte.

Tamara Holifield is struggling on all fronts, she’s in a temp job that is barely paying the bills, she misses her best friend – who has upped and gotten married and moved to the middle of beyond and to top it off
Anino
Whenever I read an Interracial Romance book, I'm always saddled with this question: "Is this writer as good or as competent as other writers in different genres?"

Although I thought that this book was cute, for me, it wasn't fantastic. Perhaps I'm too much of a persnickety reader, but I'd rather spend 5 bucks on a book that's a 5 star read, instead of one that almost makes it to 3 1/2 stars.

This book had so much promise, but in the end it wasn't written as well as it could have been. It was good
Shelita
Oct 29, 2009 Shelita rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: rolanda, arlene
Shelves: ebooks
I LOVED this book! Fabulous! And too funny. I highly recommend this book if you like two stubborn people who fight it the whole way, interracial romance and cowboy lawyers, then this is the story for you!

I'm a bit miffed to find that my ebook didn't have the other story in it. Now I definitely gotta download that one too! Looking forward to it.
Lenlyn01
Jun 13, 2012 Lenlyn01 rated it it was amazing
This is a story of a cowboy falling for a true sista..well and it was done very tasteful. I thought they fell into bed rather quickly but the relationship grew to say the least. When they went into the anal sex type description thing was really jaw dropping to me but you could tell how much they was feeling each other. Loved it.
Frankly Frankie
Aug 11, 2016 Frankly Frankie rated it liked it
Quickie. Heroine was forthright but not much depth/backstory was included for the characters' lives. I skimmed a lot so there's no way I feel like I should've paid money for this.

Memorable quote: "The power of the black vagina strikes again."

Sex = hot.

Fin.
Serena
Decent story. Cowboy falls for plus sized sistah. I love how they played off of each other and how he made it clear that he wasn't a push over. Favorite scene was Sandra coming to the house. That was complete devastation to the nation lol. Oh and the book had hot interracial lovin.
Monica
Jun 08, 2013 Monica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book.

I loved Tamara and Russell and their word play. Tamara was sarcastic and witty which made the book fun. There were some steamy love scenes...the story progressed at a good pace...never a dull moment. I was routing for this couple.
A-W
May 17, 2011 A-W rated it it was amazing
This book was so hot and full of love and passion that i read it within 3 days after my order came in.
Nadia
Aug 07, 2009 Nadia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really like this book that much, the characters seemed underdeveloped and the plot in both stories (especially the second one rushed).
Neisau *Loves Alpha Males in any form*
SQUEEEEEEEEE! BEST READ IN A WHILE!
doctor who animated GIF

When I read the blurb......I didn't really buy it but man was I pleasantly surprised.

Tamara is a character I connect with cause she doesn't take any bullshit and she's comfortable in her own skin. And really? really? Russell is a tired of the hustle and bustle lawyer turned cowboy that drives a lexus! I thought nah won't buy it but LM did a stellar job in weaving his dialogue to make him damn near perfect.

“Who the hell do you think you’re talking to?”
“The bigg
S.T. Rucker
Dec 13, 2013 S.T. Rucker rated it really liked it
The fetishizing of interracial relationships is a turn off for me. It messes with my ability to suspend my disbelief. Lena Matthews stirs clear of overdoing it but almost has me putting the book down, particularly when Sandra confronts Tamara on that particular issue. Even so I was able to see that Matthews' intention was love and passion.

This is the first romance novel I've read in a while and I must say I kept reading until the end. I love the banter between Tamara and Russell, their jealousie
Micheale
Mar 21, 2014 Micheale rated it did not like it
First, what gave this E-book a problem was the format I had to download it in. I bought this from All Romance and it was ONLY available in a PDF type format, which I was unaware of until AFTER I bought it.

Second, the writing was juvenile and read more like a YA situation instead of an adult type. Too many shallow thoughts on the part of the hero, and not because of the heroine's weight! He just had little depth.

Lastly, I was intrigued by this city guy heading for ranching. Sorry, but nothing los
D.lee
Jan 28, 2012 D.lee rated it it was amazing
I am new to Lena Matthews books, but The Blacker the Berry was so good that I am a new fan.
I liked Ty and Charlotte story in For Love's Sake. It was a sweet story but a bit quick.
Russell and Tamara's story was my favorite. I loved the dialogue between these two characters and I could felt the romance. I especially like the fact that the characters were well developed and I felt I got a chance to get to know them. Additionally she dealt lightly with the issue of race without beating it to death.
T
Cheryl
Jun 12, 2010 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
This was a pretty good story as well. The was the sequel to for Love Sake Only. This book like the first was charming and funny. The main characters were very likable and not over the top. I love the fact that the women in this story was dark skinned and full figured. I also love the fact she also knew she was beautiful and sexy. She did not have low self esteem and was not out to look for someone to save her and to show her how beautiful she was. I love that she carried her weight in the story ...more
Domino (aka Meme)
this was a fun title to read. interracial romance with cowboys. didn't know i liked cowboys as much. hehe. it's actually two stories. starts off with one female lead and her love interest, then the second story is her best friend and her love interest; which happens to be the best friend of love interest #1. both stories were pretty good. i preferred the first one rather than the second. definitely had some steamy moments and some comical ones as well. i just have to admit i like the interracial ...more
Katerina
A surprisingly amazing short read!

I cannot come up with a single thing I did not like about it!
I even read the one and two star reviews on this site, looking at the complaints other readers had about the story, and I got the impression that I must have read a different book!
I can definitely say that I wasn't reading this through rose-coloured glasses...
So if you are contemplating about reading this book or not, make sure you get yourself a copy of the version I have read.;-)

This was my first boo
Layla
Jan 02, 2016 Layla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laugh out loud funny

This book was hilarious. I thought Tamara was spunky, outgoing, and true to her word. She didn't sugarcoat anything and I really liked that. It seems like Russell was almost the strong, silent type until he met Tamara. He was stubborn, but so was she. It was refreshing to see a couple actually have a fight/argument instead of the woman being upset, but immediately relenting because he kissed her or called her "baby."
Ashley
Mar 05, 2009 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Ok, so THIS book was amazing! I absolutely adored the story of Charlotte and Ty but I feel in love with the story of Tamara and Russell. So thank you so much, if you were one of the people who asked Lena Matthews to continue their story and thank you Lena Matthews for writing two stories that I can see myself reading over and over again. And I rarely read books more than once.

Thank you for making me want to go out and find my own cowboy!
raeneysa
Jan 29, 2011 raeneysa rated it it was amazing
Out of all the IR romance novel i read i'm am moving this novel to number one, considering her dark desire by Charisma Knight not any more. anyway tamara was very head strong the relationships for a second though i she was wear the parts, but russell was no punks and i like the fact.Now i have to read one part of this for lover sake with charlotte and ty over all i got a good laugh and enjoy my self with novel.
Genney Blass
May 26, 2013 Genney Blass rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I truly enjoy this book, they sarcasm, they straight forward honesty between Russell and Tamara. Russell was definitely one of my favorite Cowboy-Lawyer-Alpha Male! He gets what he wants and Tamara was just scared of being hurt and heartbroken, but at the end He proved her wrong. Their characters totally clicked from the beginning. Bravo to Ms. Matthews another fine book. Thank you.
Naaz Summer
Oct 20, 2013 Naaz Summer rated it really liked it
Good one !! This story is very nice specially chars are good and their conversation is well written... I like their fight and hot love scenes though their bonding also is well written..
Overall good read if u like hot guys with strong mind and girls who know what they want.. both h/h are not shy to tell their wants .. and develop of the char, story and all around other chars are also nice..!

Go for it if you like Sweet, cute and hot romance !!
Lizzie
I will have to write a better review later. Just know that this book was alluring, will grab your heart and demand your complete attention. Lena did an awesome job spotlighting some of the problems that interracial couples face without being offensive or taking away from the romance of either couple, from either story. Way To Go Lena!
  • The Beauty Within
  • The Ugly Girlfriend (The Lonely Hearts, #1)
  • Closer To You: Lee (The Drace Brothers #3)
  • Love Script
  • Kincade's Rose (The Megalodon Team, #1)
  • Thierry's Angel (Chevalier Men #1)
  • The Reinvention of Chastity
  • The Sweetest Taboo (Redemption, #5)
  • Juicy
  • Winning Dawn
  • Special Forces
  • Wild Wishes
  • Windows (Italian Knights, #1)
  • The Sweet Spot
  • What White Boyz Want
  • Rock Star (Rockers of Storm Crow #1)
Lena Matthews spends her days dreaming about handsome heroes and her nights with her own personal hero. Married to her college sweetheart, she is the proud mother of two children, three evil dogs, and a mess of ants that she can't seem to get rid of.

When not writing she can be found reading, watching movies, lifting up the cushions on the couch to look for batteries for the remote control and plot
More about Lena Matthews...

Wild Wild West Series (3 books)
  • For Love's Sake Only
  • Mischief And Mistletoe (Wild Wild West)