Start by marking “The Blacker the Berry” as Want to Read:
The Blacker the Berry

The Blacker the Berry

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  1,527 ratings  ·  84 reviews
Tamara Holifield could never have guessed one little favor would change her entire world, but it does. When her best friend Charlotte's husband Ty asks her to come out to visit to cheer up the homebound pregnant woman, she readily agrees. The only problem with Ty's plan is Tamara's lack of a car. Luckily for her, he has a solution, in the form of his best friend, lawyer Ru ...more
Published October 2008 by Loose Id, LLC

Beast by Pepper PaceThe Grunt by Latrivia S. NelsonLove Script by Tiffany AshleyDmitry's Closet by Latrivia S. NelsonHer Russian Billionaire by Theodora Taylor
Best Interracial Reads
10th out of 464 books — 354 voters
The Grunt by Latrivia S. NelsonDmitry's Closet by Latrivia S. NelsonBeast by Pepper PaceGo Fetch! by Shelly LaurenstonHer Russian Billionaire by Theodora Taylor
Love Story (BW/WM)
14th out of 309 books — 275 voters

More lists with this book...

Michelle
I liked it. I liked Tamara as the heroine. She was plus sized and owned it. The entire story wasn't spent on her feeling insecure about her size, and Russell needing to make her feel better. Although I enjoyed the story overall, I felt like Russell's possessiveness was a bit too much too soon. He reminded me of one of those the alpha heroes you read about in a werewolf/ shifter novel with him thinking "mine" all the time. Where did that come from after just meeting each other through mutual frie ...more
Elise-Pinterest+Goodreads=The Perfect Book Boyfriend
I enjoyed this book because it had a plus sized heroine and the book kept the characters "real" without being completely urban. Somewhat rushed, especially towards the end, but a good story none the less. I am in the middle of a vampire series and this is a very good break from that.
Rockatang3 (BlebeTanja)
I loved the heroine, Tamara, right from page one. You see, all-the-authors-that-can't-produce-a-half-decent-herione-if-their-life-depended-on-it, this is how it's done! Woot woot!

“No, later.” Tamara lowered her voice to a mock whisper. “When the stinky boys aren’t around.”
“Oh, that’s easy.” Charlotte glanced up at her husband and batted her eyes. “Honey, poof. Be gone.”
Heeeheee! Hee. ._.

I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said I rolled on the bed with laughter while reading. You should've seen me,
Michelle
Holy hilarity cliched sexy goodness! I don't know how or why I picked up this book, but once I saw the title, I couldn't NOT read it. It delivered the goods - boy meets girl, they have sexy time and somewhere in between that's not clearly marked, they fall in love.

He's a cowboy and she's a brat. And of course, there's a little blond woman in the wings trying to complicate things. LMFAO.

I wouldn't exactly recommend this book, but I enjoyed it.
Shawnette
I'll have to agree with the other reviewer, “The Blacker the Berry” is definitely a HIGHLY erotic, yet emotionally charged romantic treat. Tamara and Russell are a PERFECT combination and their antics throughout kept me turning the pages to see what would happen next. The witty dialogue and sexually charged banter makes the story lively and at times LOL funny. There was NEVER a dull moment. Looking forward to reading more of Mrs. Matthews work.
Tina
This was very much a by the numbers romance -- guy and girl meet, they have a moment of conflict, they are attracted blah blah blah. I actually did not feel the build up of romance and connection that takes a story from being an "ok, fine" romance to a "sigh, that was great" romance.
Shayna
Very funny and the chemistry between Tamara and Russell was hot!!
Marcia Walkerdine
I loved it great read.
Erotic Horizon
I didn’t let my mind settled before I was opening up this follow up book to FOR LOVE SAKE ONLY and from page one I was immersed. The two main characters in THE BLACKER THE BERRY really stepped up to the plate and make me see them as individuals rather than extensions of Ty and Charlotte.

Tamara Holifield is struggling on all fronts, she’s in a temp job that is barely paying the bills, she misses her best friend – who has upped and gotten married and moved to the middle of beyond and to top it off
Anino
Whenever I read an Interracial Romance book, I'm always saddled with this question: "Is this writer as good or as competent as other writers in different genres?"

Although I thought that this book was cute, for me, it wasn't fantastic. Perhaps I'm too much of a persnickety reader, but I'd rather spend 5 bucks on a book that's a 5 star read, instead of one that almost makes it to 3 1/2 stars.

This book had so much promise, but in the end it wasn't written as well as it could have been. It was good
Shelita
Oct 29, 2009 Shelita rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: rolanda, arlene
Shelves: ebooks
I LOVED this book! Fabulous! And too funny. I highly recommend this book if you like two stubborn people who fight it the whole way, interracial romance and cowboy lawyers, then this is the story for you!

I'm a bit miffed to find that my ebook didn't have the other story in it. Now I definitely gotta download that one too! Looking forward to it.
Lenlyn01
This is a story of a cowboy falling for a true sista..well and it was done very tasteful. I thought they fell into bed rather quickly but the relationship grew to say the least. When they went into the anal sex type description thing was really jaw dropping to me but you could tell how much they was feeling each other. Loved it.
Micheale
First, what gave this E-book a problem was the format I had to download it in. I bought this from All Romance and it was ONLY available in a PDF type format, which I was unaware of until AFTER I bought it.

Second, the writing was juvenile and read more like a YA situation instead of an adult type. Too many shallow thoughts on the part of the hero, and not because of the heroine's weight! He just had little depth.

Lastly, I was intrigued by this city guy heading for ranching. Sorry, but nothing los
Serena
Decent story. Cowboy falls for plus sized sistah. I love how they played off of each other and how he made it clear that he wasn't a push over. Favorite scene was Sandra coming to the house. That was complete devastation to the nation lol. Oh and the book had hot interracial lovin.
Monica
I love this book.

I loved Tamara and Russell and their word play. Tamara was sarcastic and witty which made the book fun. There were some steamy love scenes...the story progressed at a good pace...never a dull moment. I was routing for this couple.
Nadia
I didn't really like this book that much, the characters seemed underdeveloped and the plot in both stories (especially the second one rushed).
A-W
This book was so hot and full of love and passion that i read it within 3 days after my order came in.
S.T. Rucker
The fetishizing of interracial relationships is a turn off for me. It messes with my ability to suspend my disbelief. Lena Matthews stirs clear of overdoing it but almost has me putting the book down, particularly when Sandra confronts Tamara on that particular issue. Even so I was able to see that Matthews' intention was love and passion.

This is the first romance novel I've read in a while and I must say I kept reading until the end. I love the banter between Tamara and Russell, their jealousie
CandyCorn
It was just ok. I could understand the attraction but the relationship wasn't believable to me. I didn't see a reason for them to be together long-term. I wish there was more chemistry and good dialog between the two. Also, female lead character was a little frustrating.

This is my first book by this author. I may give the first book a try.

2.75 Stars
D.lee
I am new to Lena Matthews books, but The Blacker the Berry was so good that I am a new fan.
I liked Ty and Charlotte story in For Love's Sake. It was a sweet story but a bit quick.
Russell and Tamara's story was my favorite. I loved the dialogue between these two characters and I could felt the romance. I especially like the fact that the characters were well developed and I felt I got a chance to get to know them. Additionally she dealt lightly with the issue of race without beating it to death.
T
Cheryl
This was a pretty good story as well. The was the sequel to for Love Sake Only. This book like the first was charming and funny. The main characters were very likable and not over the top. I love the fact that the women in this story was dark skinned and full figured. I also love the fact she also knew she was beautiful and sexy. She did not have low self esteem and was not out to look for someone to save her and to show her how beautiful she was. I love that she carried her weight in the story ...more
Constance
A++ for the plus size woman who scored a gorgeous nice man who is self-sufficient , strong, and caring. Highly recommended!
Yolanda
I loved it. Russell and Tamara were a cute couple. really enjoyed it. i look forward to reading about her friends story.
Danielle
Oh this read so satisfied my cowboy loving heart. I loved it! I could do snapshots of Russell all day and night!
Tangela
What a true friend. She went to visit a very pregnant friend who was on bed rest and found love on a ranch.
Katerina
A surprisingly amazing short read!

I cannot come up with a single thing I did not like about it!
I even read the one and two star reviews on this site, looking at the complaints other readers had about the story, and I got the impression that I must have read a different book!
I can definitely say that I wasn't reading this through rose-coloured glasses...
So if you are contemplating about reading this book or not, make sure you get yourself a copy of the version I have read.;-)

This was my first boo
Lisa
Cowboys oh boy! I thought this was a pretty good read. I do recommend.
Domino (aka Meme)
this was a fun title to read. interracial romance with cowboys. didn't know i liked cowboys as much. hehe. it's actually two stories. starts off with one female lead and her love interest, then the second story is her best friend and her love interest; which happens to be the best friend of love interest #1. both stories were pretty good. i preferred the first one rather than the second. definitely had some steamy moments and some comical ones as well. i just have to admit i like the interracial ...more
P.
Funny and a quick read.
Jodi
Lved this book.
  • Trolling Nights
  • The Ugly Girlfriend (The Lonely Hearts, #1)
  • Love Script
  • Special Forces
  • The Sweetest Taboo (Redemption, #5)
  • The Reinvention of Chastity
  • Winning Dawn
  • Thierry's Angel (Chevalier Men #1)
  • Closer To You: Lee (The Drace Brothers #3)
  • Kincade's Rose (The Megalodon Team, #1)
  • Juicy
  • Rock Star (Rockers of Storm Crow #1)
  • Windows (Italian Knights, #1)
  • The Sweet Spot
  • Mr. Fix-It
  • The Real Thing
  • I'll Be Your Shelter
Lena Matthews spends her days dreaming about handsome heroes and her nights with her own personal hero. Married to her college sweetheart, she is the proud mother of two children, three evil dogs, and a mess of ants that she can't seem to get rid of.

When not writing she can be found reading, watching movies, lifting up the cushions on the couch to look for batteries for the remote control and plot
More about Lena Matthews...
Call Me (Joker's Wild, #1) Happily Even After (The Second Time Around #1) He's So Shy (Bad Boys, #1) Head Over Heels (Urban Fairytales, #1) Seven Minutes in Heaven (Naughty Games, #1)