Start by marking “The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Prose Poetry: Contemporary Poets in Discussion and Practice” as Want to Read:

A wide-ranging gathering of 34 brief essays and 66 prose poems by distinguished practitioners, The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Prose Poetry is as personal and provocative, accessible and idiosyncratic as the genre itself. With its pioneering introduction, this collection provides a comprehensive history of the development of the prose poem up to its current widespread ...more
Paperback
Published 2010 by Rose Metal Press

To ask other readers questions about The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Prose Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Prose Poetry

Keith Montesano
Jun 03, 2010 Keith Montesano rated it it was amazing
The prose poem has always been a form, admittedly, that I’ve never known much about. My reading of the prose poem has usually led to the question that I imagine I’m not the only one asking: “Isn’t there a way the line could actually be utilized here?”

The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Prose Poetry doesn’t try to explicitly answer that question. Instead, the essays within are used as catalysts to get into the minds of how actual poets write and discuss their prose poems. I don’t want to overuse
Ken
Jul 13, 2016 Ken rated it really liked it
If you're interested in exotic (or drab, maybe) birds like prose poetry, this is a fine place to sit and chat with 34 practitioners who tell us what prose poetry means to them. After each short essay, the writer/poet offers two to three of his or her own prose poems just to show us what s/he means.

As for definitions, good luck. The long and short of it is this: prose poetry is either both prose and poetry or neither prose nor poetry. Pick your poison or ambrosia. But it appears to be liberating
Brenda
Jun 01, 2010 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: poets and creative writing teachers
Shelves: favorites, poetry
In “Whatchamacallit & Me,” one of 34 essays in _The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Prose Poetry: Contemporary Poets in Discussion and Practice_, John Bradley quips:

“How many prose poets does it take to change a lightbulb?
Ask me later. We’re still debating the question, ‘What is a lightbulb?’” (150).

One might argue that Bradley fairly sums up the entire anthology with this statement, but the debate (hosted by Gary L. McDowell and F. Daniel Rzicznek) never grows tedious. Indeed, the collecti
R.l.
Dec 20, 2014 R.l. rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book is a treasure. You’ve heard the question, if you were stranded on a desert island, what one book would you want to have with you? This is the one I’m taking with me.
This book fed my two souls, the one that belongs to the writer part of me and the one that belongs to the reader part of me. Not only is it jam packed with gorgeous prose poetry, but the essays themselves are as evocative and sensual as the poems.
Also, this isn’t one of those books you buy only to be disappointed in t
Hobie
Feb 10, 2011 Hobie rated it it was amazing
I've been writing flash fiction for a few years and have Rose Metal's Field Guide to Flash Fiction (awesome). Since I tend to be fairly poetical in my stylings, I was intrigued when this volume was published. I purchased it on pre-order and I'm sure one day I'll buy a second copy, when this one is finally shot-out and brown from coffee stains.

If you're interested in the craft of prose poetry, I can't recommend this book highly enough. It's opened up a new genre to me.
Amorak Huey
Mar 31, 2013 Amorak Huey rated it liked it
This whole series is solid. Lots of advice, musing, helpful exercises. I would say all these books are perhaps best-suited as introductions to the forms -- they don't break a lot of new ground, so if you've already been reading and thinking in depth about the forms, you won't necessarily find many surprises here.
Gary McDowell
Apr 05, 2010 Gary McDowell rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
The book is available for order at the Rose Metal Press website. Check it out! http://www.rosemetalpress.com/Catalog...
Antonia
Feb 26, 2011 Antonia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
"I imagine one is drawn to write prose poems not by sloth, which is better purely practiced in hammocks, but by an urge to participate in a different kind of psychic energy than verse usually embodies." -- William Matthews

I really love this book! I wanted to read it to educate myself about prose poetry. I'm forever wishing some prose poem had line breaks (never again!). The book comprises 33 short personal essays about prose poetry and the writing of it, how the author came to write in this form
Casey Hampton
Jun 06, 2016 Casey Hampton rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
I know, right? But it's solid.

Maybe the final 1/5th wears a little thin, but I think this is a good thing. Careful readers and writers that reach, and that sort.
Blogbaas Van 'tVliegend Eiland
9/10
Abby Hagler
I picked this book up in my first semester of MFA in poetry. One of my teachers is in this book, so I was curious to read it. Turns out, I kept this book next to me for the next 4 months, constantly referring to it, picking up books from the other authors, reading their recommendations, and basing a couple of final project off of it. It's a really helpful book on prose poetics - probably one of the three most helpful books I've read on the subject.
Tara
Oct 20, 2011 Tara rated it it was amazing
Like Rose Metal’s field guide to flash fiction, this is a wonderful compilation of short essays from a wide range of writers about why/how they write prose poems, about what prose poetry is or isn’t, and about how the form fits into the larger literary landscape. Each essay ends with a couple of the author’s own prose poems.
Anna
Feb 09, 2016 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: writing, poetry
Not as informative about technique as I was hoping, but still an interesting read. The resources and further reading indexes provided an extensive list of prose poem collections to read in the future.
Scott Wiggerman
Nov 19, 2012 Scott Wiggerman rated it liked it
I found this interesting, but it left me feeling like half the poets writing prose poems don't know what makes their work prose poems. I expected more definition of the term, and many of the essays don't differentiate much between prose poems and prose.
Susan
Dec 01, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing
Excellent collection for anyone interested in writing prose poetry. Lots of different viewpoints and examples.
sd
sd rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Susan Sonnen
Susan Sonnen rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2013
Shishir
Shishir rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2012
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2010
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2013
Rusty
Rusty rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2010
Brian Bender
May 15, 2010 Brian Bender rated it it was amazing
A true spectrum of color. Please pick this up.
Robyn Groth
Robyn Groth rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2015
Alina Stefanescu
Alina Stefanescu rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Jose Araguz
Jose Araguz rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Marlin Jenkins
Marlin Jenkins rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2012
Karin Salisbury
Karin Salisbury rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Adam
Adam rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2010
Jami
Jami rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Close Calls With Nonsense: Reading New Poetry
  • The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Fiction: Tips from Editors, Teachers, and Writers in the Field
  • Letters to Wendy's
  • The Language of Inquiry
  • Writing the Australian Crawl
  • Legitimate Dangers: American Poets of the New Century
  • Great American Prose Poems: From Poe to the Present
  • The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Nonfiction: Advice and Essential Exercises from Respected Writers, Editors, and Teachers
  • The Life of Poetry
  • Twentieth Century Pleasures: Prose on Poetry
  • Midwinter Day
  • The Art of the Poetic Line
  • The Collected Prose
I live in Nashville, TN with my wife and our two young kids, Auden and Jorie. I'm an Assistant Professor of Creative Writing at Belmont University. I have a BA in English from Northern Illinois University, an MFA in Poetry from Bowling Green State University, and a Ph.D. in Contemporary Poetry and Creative Writing from Western Michigan University.

I am the author of Weeping at a Stranger's Funeral
More about Gary L. McDowell...