Start by marking “Andrew Lost On the Dog (Andrew Lost #1)” as Want to Read:
Andrew Lost On the Dog (Andrew Lost #1)

Andrew Lost On the Dog (Andrew Lost #1)

When Andrew’s latest invention, the Atom Sucker, goes haywire, Andrew and Judy are shrunk down to microscopic level! Andrew and Judy find themselves lost on their neighbor’s dog, where they encounter everything from colossal fleas to crab-like eyelash mites. Now they have to find their way back to the Atom Sucker and get unshrunk before it’s too late!
Published May 28th 2002 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published May 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Andrew Lost On the Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Andrew Lost On the Dog

Henry and Beezus by Beverly ClearyAttack Of The Tyrannosaurus by Rex StoneNeurology by April Chloe TerrazasEli the Minnow and The Coral Cave Adventure by David L. SterlingChemistry by April Chloe Terrazas
Best Books for Early Readers
24th out of 28 books — 23 voters
How to Steal a Dog by Barbara O'ConnorThe Million Dollar Shot by Dan GutmanThe Lemonade War by Jacqueline DaviesFreshman Phenom by C.E.  ButlerFirst Contact by Brent LeVasseur
Reluctant Readers 4th-5th Graders
8th out of 18 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Amber
Sep 26, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
My six year old science loving son absolutely devours these books. He likes to read but often chooses to play instead...these books have changed that! He is fascinated and delighted by them! I love seeing him with his nose in a book!
Dominique Woodbridge
This book was very interesting. It would be a great book for transitional readers who are interested in dogs, technology and adventure. This book would be used for independent reading. Students in third or fourth grade would love this book because it holds the readers attention and it is nonfiction. There are not pictures on every page, and the sentence length is about six to eight words. The words should be familiar to students in third or fourth grade. The font size is smaller than beginning r ...more
Krista
18. With the Fro
Lara Ivey
Jul 13, 2012 Lara Ivey rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-book
Andrew Dubble is a ten-year old inquisitive boy who loves to invent things. He has just finished creating the Atom Sucker when things go terribly wrong. He and Judy, his 13 year-old-cousin, end up being shrunk and the adventure begins. The neighbor, Mrs. Scuttle, has a dog named Harley. The two kids end up on Harley and learn all about a dog’s smelling ability, sneezing speed, and even eyelash mites from THUDD. THUDD is The Handy Ultra-Digital Detective that comes in quite handy to Andrew and Ju ...more
Bdalton
Dec 26, 2011 Bdalton rated it liked it
This is a cute story similar to "Honey, I shrunk the Kids" movie. The main character is Andrew, a boy inventor. His sidekick is a pocket sized robot that his uncle game him. His partner in adventure is Judy, his cousin. Andrew takes his new invention, a machine that shrinks things outside and it accidentally is triggered shrinking Judy and Andrew who find themselves on Harley the dog. There are lots of scientific information about dogs throughout the story and at the end of the book in an append ...more
ABC
Feb 08, 2010 ABC rated it it was ok
There are several things that are frustrating about this book!

1) A key character is a robot. The robot talks in weird fragments and mispronounces words. For example, Andrew became "Drewd" and Judy became "Oody." This is just so dumb and confusing. The robot is the one who tells Andrew and Judy interesting facts about science. "Dog roll in stinky stuff. Stinky stuff hide doggy smell."
While reading this book, I changed Thudd's words in to normal English.

2) The ending is REALLY bad because it is
Earline
Apr 24, 2015 Earline rated it really liked it
Reminds me of Honey I Shrunk the Kids meets The Magic School Bus :)
In the first installment of this series, Andrew's newest invention, The Atom Sucker, goes haywire and shrinks him, his robot, and his friend Judy down to microscopic level. They get sniffed by the neighbor's dog and their epic adventure across the lawn begins. Full of interesting facts and a list of great resources to learn more!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I must admit...I have mixed feelings about this book. I liked this book. It was kind of fun. Andrew accidentally shrinks himself, his cousin, and his robot buddy to insect size and they end up on a neighbor's dog. The reader learns a ton about dogs and people (their senses, and information about skin). However, the book ends with a "to be continued". Really? A to be continued? Many early readers don't always have access to sequels...and this one ends on a "cliff-hanger" of sorts. What happens wi ...more
August Ferndelli
Sep 13, 2015 August Ferndelli rated it it was amazing
What I liked best about it is there is a lot of stuff that is really interesting and creepy. It's about Andrew getting lost on a dog because of his invention, the atom sucker, and it'll shrink really tiny at 100. It started bouncing around and shrunk them (Andrew, his friend Judy, and his tiny robot in his pocket), and they have adventures on the dog and it's gross. It's good gross.
Brenda
Jan 29, 2015 Brenda rated it liked it
This is a good adventure/science fiction book for younger readers (7-9). It introduces lots of information about dogs and mites. The short chapters and illustrations will help less confident readers while the cute story will keep them focused and interested. It is also the beginning of a 16 book series which is a plus for reluctant readers or young readers who just can't find enough books to read! I highly recommend it.
Matthew
This is not my favorite piece of science fiction, but it would work well as a beginning science fiction series. Andrew Lost shrinks his cousin and himself and must navigate the world as miniscule speck on his dog's nose. It's one of those series that doesn't wrap itself up at the conclusion of the first book, so the series has to be read in order. The annoying sidekick machine called THUDD spits out endless information to aid them, but he speaks a rudimentary caveman-like version of English that ...more
Andrea Dillon
Aug 19, 2014 Andrea Dillon rated it really liked it
Started reading this series with the kids (age 4 and 5). They really got into it but we all kinda got creeped out by the things we learned (follicle mites ewww...interesting but EWWW). Starting the second book soon!
Kellie
Sep 28, 2014 Kellie marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Shannon
Mar 18, 2016 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
03/16: Oh my! Trying to manually bring over all of my reviews from Shelfari. Suffice it to say the boys read and enjoyed many many books in this series. I'll not bother bringing all of them over.

05/12: David reading and enjoying this whole series.

Amazon Book Description:
Karen
The science concepts included in the very short texts is quite interesting and could help encourage non-fiction readers to read fiction.
Jen Bojkov
Sep 27, 2015 Jen Bojkov rated it liked it
Good early chapter book series. Not too long with illustrations. Good for kids who want action and cliff hangers.
Sweet's Family Bookshelves
Mar 13, 2014 Sweet's Family Bookshelves rated it really liked it
My 7 year old giggled her way through this book. We learned a few things that even I didn't know. Eyelash mites for example. Look it up. Not while eating, though. (Lesson learned!) Cute and educational. Already picked up next book in the series for her.
Mitran Kumar
Jan 06, 2015 Mitran Kumar rated it did not like it
It's a very disgusting words in the book. I didn't like it much.
Julie Harris
Apr 23, 2015 Julie Harris rated it it was amazing
This rating is from my daughter (she read it at school).
Bmack
Jul 16, 2013 Bmack rated it really liked it
This is a paperback series book that is geared to first and second graders. It is about a young boy named Andrew who loves to invent things. In this book he invented an amazing shrinking machine. Andrew and his cousin Judy find themselves shrunk to the size of specks when his machine accidentally goes wild. They actually land on the neighbor’s dog and Andrew’s pocket robot, Thudd, who is like a walking encyclopedia, fills us in on all kinds of fun science facts about dogs. A very cute series and ...more
Nobies57
May 19, 2010 Nobies57 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-ya
Andrew's latest invention is an Atom Crusher that basically takes the empty space out of atoms and, in doing so, shrinks things. Of course he and his sister and his pocket computer, THUD, wound up shrunk and in the nose of the neighbor's dog. The book teaches science concepts in a fictional story format. In this one we learn all about hair folicals, skin flacks, dust mites and other types of microscopic skin things. It's cute and might be a nice break for Magic Treehouse readers.
Kristine Hansen
Aug 23, 2016 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
I'm not sure I want to pet a dog ever again.

OK for that matter, I'm amazed at just how many microscopic icky things there are on absolutely everything. I'm not a science girl, but found this approach to teaching something about what's not visible to the naked eye, to be unique and interesting. For the homeschooler, pair this with some actual microscope time, and a unit on biology. Cool book. Cool concept.

Gross out factor? Perfect for those reluctant reader boys....
Christin
Aug 08, 2011 Christin rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Sorry for those of you who don't care about kids books but I am always looking for something good that both of my boys will like and understand and hold their attention. They seemed to really like this book. It had a lot of pics which was good for Rylan and was easy for them both to understand. It had little science facts throughout that Brycen really liked. The only downside is that it ended to be continued so I think that the books have to be read in order.
Kate Hastings
Dec 21, 2013 Kate Hastings rated it it was amazing
Grades K-3. RL 500. A friend recommended this series for my son who is a picky reader. This has all the gross of captain underpants and all the education of magic tree house. I love the science facts that are tucked into this really hilarious story of a boy, his friend, and a robot that are accidentally shrunk down to the size of something smaller than a pencil point.
Joenna
Mar 08, 2011 Joenna rated it liked it
Shelves: 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd
Part of "Andrew Lost" series. When ten-year-old Andrew invents a shrinking machine, he does not expect to be sucked into the machine along with his cousin Judy, only to end up in a dog's nose.

Similar to Captain Underpants with gross humor. Reminds me of Magic Tree House Human Body, but without the "in your face" educational facts.

Rachel Graft
Jun 19, 2011 Rachel Graft rated it liked it
My son and I found this book at the local bookstore in town in the kids section. Ryan enjoyed his first novel.

Book 1 On The Dog is very interesting and THUDD is pretty cute - Ryan likes how he speaks - MEEP!!!

on to Book 2 In The Bathroom - we need to find out how Andrew (Drewd) & Oody (Judy) Unshrink themselves.
Shelley
Jul 13, 2012 Shelley rated it liked it
I've been reading this series with my boys, and they LOVE these books. Part adventure, part science, these books have been so engaging for my boys. They read each one, then want me to read it out loud to them at night. So if you've got young boys, you might want to give this series a try.
Indah W
Jul 15, 2010 Indah W rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
Ini buku sebenernya bagus and seruu.. cuman part yang ngeselinnya itu adalah karena pas lagi seru2nyaa.. BERSAMBUNG KE BUKU SELANJUTNYA!! *grr.com*!!

Oh iya, btw.. mantapsnya buku ini adalah karenaa.. secara ngga nyadar jadi belajar ilmu anatomi tubuh anjing :p
J
Mar 04, 2009 J rated it liked it
Kind of lame that this book has no sort of resolution. You have to read the second book - and, as it turns out, the third and fourth book - to find out what happens to the protagonists. Get this at the library, don't pay for such a blatant trick.
  • Great-Grandpa's in the Litter Box (The Zack Files #1)
  • It Came from Beneath the Bed! (Tales from the House of Bunnicula, #1)
  • Stink and the Midnight Zombie Walk (Stink, #7)
  • Marvin Redpost: Kidnapped at Birth? (Marvin Redpost, #1)
  • Stop That Hamster! (Ready, Freddy!, #12)
  • Horrible Harry and the Drop of Doom
  • Just Grace and the Snack Attack (Just Grace, #5)
  • The Rat Brain Fiasco (Splurch Academy for Disruptive Boys, #1)
  • Attack of the 50-Ft. Cupid (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #2)
  • Knights of the Kitchen Table (Time Warp Trio, #1)
  • Charge Of The Triceratops (Dinosaur Cove, #2)
  • Anna Hibiscus' Song
  • The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries, #1)
  • The Mystery of the UFO (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #2)
  • On The Road
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Third-Grade Detectives #1-2: The Clue of the Left-Handed Envelope & The Puzzle of the Pretty Pink Handkerchief
  • Ogres Don't Hunt Easter Eggs (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids Holiday Special, #5)

Andrew Lost (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Andrew Lost In the Bathroom (Andrew Lost, #2)
  • Andrew Lost In the Kitchen (Andrew Lost, #3)
  • Andrew Lost In the Garden (Andrew Lost, #4)
  • Andrew Lost Under Water (Andrew Lost, #5)
  • Andrew Lost In the Whale (Andrew Lost, #6)
  • Andrew Lost On the Reef (Andrew Lost, #7)
  • Andrew Lost In the Deep (Andrew Lost, #8)
  • Andrew Lost In Time (Andrew Lost, #9)
  • Andrew Lost On Earth (Andrew Lost, #10)
  • Andrew Lost With the Dinosaurs (Andrew Lost, #11)