The Search for Nefertiti: The True Story of an Amazing Discovery

The Search for Nefertiti: The True Story of an Amazing Discovery

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Her power was rivaled only by her beauty. Her face has become one of the most recognizable images in the world. She was an independent woman and thinker centuries before her time. But who was Egypt's Queen Nefertiti?

After years of intense research, Dr. Joann Fletcher has answered the questions countless researchers before her could not. While studying Egyptian royal wigs,...more
Published September 21st 2004 by William Morrow

Nefertiti by Michelle MoranThe Heretic Queen by Michelle MoranRiver God by Wilbur SmithFlow Down Like Silver by Ki LongfellowCleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran
Best Books About Egypt
271st out of 320 books — 343 voters
KIYA by Katie HamsteadNefertiti by Michelle MoranNefertiti by Joyce A. TyldesleyAkhenaten by Naguib MahfouzNefertiti by Philipp Vandenberg
Akhenaten & Nefertiti
19th out of 21 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Isis
Feb 24, 2011 Isis rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Academics, scholars, undergraduates, amateur historians
Recommended to Isis by: No one
As an Egyptologist and historian, I approached this book with great excitement - to me the discovery of Nefertiti would be an event of monumentally exciting proportions - and I couldn't wait to see the evidence that Fletcher had to prove her contentious theory. I perhaps should not have approached the book with such high expectations, as the book didn't match them.

There are both good and bad points to recommend and detract from the quality of this book. The topic, of course, is fascinating, the...more
Nikki
I am not having good luck with books today. The Search for Nefertiti opens with an autobiography of Joann Fletcher, which I found rather over-written and just ridiculous. What Egyptologist could just "take or leave" the pyramids (or at least, admit that they don't care for them)? Who comments, with surprise, that Egypt is "hot!"? I pulled away from the book and trawled through some reviews, and have to conclude this isn't worth the time: I've read a lot of theories about Nefertiti before, publis...more
David
I've always been an ardent admirer of strong women, women who know what they want and will fight to protect their interests, and Nefertiti, wife of the heretic Pharaoh Akhenaten, was one such. Semiramis of Ninevah was another. This book is pretty thick and has a fair helping of archaeology in it, but it reads like a detective story, bringing the distant past to life and putting flesh and character onto the bones and mummy wrappings. After she and her husband died the Egyptians reverted to form,...more
Lindsey Strachan
I was desperate for this book to come out so that it could read it, and I have to say it has disappointed me a little. With all the talk of had Nefertiti's mummy been found or not, I really expected Joann Fletcher to make more of an argument in this book. In fact, the only real examination of her finds and theories are in the last two, shortest chapters of the book. Rather than providing a thorough examination of her reasons for believing the mummy is Nefertiti, the chapters covering this are to...more
Mike Porter
I met the author, researcher and Egyptologist, Joann Fletcher on a Med. cruise ship in 2011, heard her speak about her work that resulted in her conclusion that she'd found and identified the mummy that was Nefertiti, one of the few female Egyptian Pharaohs. Joann was an entertaining and compelling speaker and her book lives up to her reputation with me. Her detective work was assisted by her husband, a forensic chemist, but the investigative work and the writing is all the author's.

She writes...more
Alicia
A fascination and factual account of the search for Nefertiti. It comes complete with a decent history of both Egyptian archeology as well as part of the history of ancient Egypt itself. Parts of the book were a little dry, but the overwhelming amount of information available made up for it as I would pause to take time to digest everything. Well worn the read.
Jo
Fletcher is an archaeologist specialising in Ancient Egypt and this book centres around her discovery and investigation into an unidentified mummy in one of the tombs in the Valley of the Kings. I know very little about Ancient Egypt and those that peopled it so I can't say how correct any of this. ALl I know is that reading the book I felt myself swept up by Fletcher's total love and excitement for her work. Plus it's always nice to see a fellow Yorkshire native doing well in their chosen field...more
Brigitte
With the release of the DNA tests done on mummies of the 18th Dynasty, including Tutankhamen, I wanted to go back and read this book. Turns out that the mummy that Dr. Fletcher claims is Nefertiti truly is the mother of King Tut; BUT, there is no conclusive evidence that this mummy is Nefertiti. It's quite a mess, but Dr. Fletcher gives a good overview of the whole Armana period and she is adamant that the mummy is Nefertiti.
Ariel
This book was amazing. It had a lot information about Nefertiti and the Amarna dynasty in between the information about Fletcher's discovery, but I didn't mind that because I enjoy reading that sort of stuff. Anyone who is interested in Ancient Egypt and its culture will probably enjoy this book. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recommend it!
Jessica
A nice choice for fellow addicts of the many History/Discovery Channel specials about ancient Egypt - Dr. Fletcher works a nice blend of "targeted for a popular audience" and "I can still support my arguments like an actual academic." And yes, Egyptology fans, it does feature a cameo by Mr. Did Someone Say Pharaohs? himself, Dr. Zahi Hawass.
Em Biddle
this book was amazing, I loved the insight into Dr Fletchers life, growing up being inspired by Ancient Egypt, I loved the special attention given to Queens especially that of the New Kingdom. My only criticism would be that the book strays somewhat from its title, but that isn't even really a fault!!

Excellent Read!!
Cassidy Campbell
It was interesting at times, but overall I think the book suffers from "information overload". It went into way too much detail regarding hair, wigs, etc. Overall, it's a decent book, replete with fascinating information about ancient Egypt...if you have the patience to slog through the overly detailed/slightly boring portions.
Penny
Read in preparasrtion for our trip to
Egypt. The author is an authority on
wigs and hairstyles. I wasn't aware that
this is one aspect of archeology. It seems
that the pharoahs had problems with lice too.
Nits and eggs were found on their wigs and
hair.
Russamun82
An exciting and well interesting book. Her easy to read style made for a comfy read. It does make me wonder where Nefertiti really is and saddens me to think that the chances of finding out in my life time are slim.
✿ Deni
I tried to read this book a few years ago and failed, so I thought it was time to try again, well I have only one word to describe the process: BORING!

Richard v
A fantastic book, and would be understandable even for those who do not know much about Ancient Egypt, as much detail and background is given. Fascinating!
Dara
Great history of Egypt, but pure supposition that Nefertiti has been found. I was rather disappointed. Hopefully her book on Cleopatra is better.
Amandahlynn
That was hysterical when the evidence came out that the mummy she was convinced was Nefertiti turned out to be a dude.
Kaye
I just could not get into this book. The writer's style and tone was all over the place.
Ed
The author's engaging persona moves this forensic mystery along. Nefertiti!
Cheri
Not as interesting as I had hoped....gave it up.
Melisende d'Outremer
Loved it - looking forward to her new book on Cleopatra.
₵oincidental   Ðandy
₵oincidental Ðandy marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
S.L. Stevens
S.L. Stevens marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Trisha
Trisha is currently reading it
Apr 06, 2014
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
  • Nefertiti: Unlocking the Mystery Surrounding Egypt's Most Famous and Beautiful Queen
  • Temples, Tombs & Hieroglyphs: A Popular History of Ancient Egypt
  • How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs: A Step-by-Step Guide to Teach Yourself
  • The Empire of Darkness (Queen of Freedom, #1)
  • Selene of Alexandria
  • The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt: The History of a Civilisation from 3000 BC to Cleopatra
  • The Affair of the Poisons: Murder, Infanticide, and Satanism at the Court of Louis XIV
  • The Greatest Traitor: The Life of Sir Roger Mortimer, Ruler of England 1327-1330
  • Antony And Cleopatra
  • She Wolves: The Notorious Queens of Medieval England
  • Queen of the Conqueror: The Life of Matilda, Wife of William I
  • Cleopatra: A Biography
  • Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs: Official Companion Book to the Exhibition sponsored by National Geographic
  • Tomb of Tutankhamen
  • The Murder of Tutankhamen
  • Nefertiti: The Book of the Dead (Rai Rahotep, #1)
  • KIYA: Hope of the Pharaoh (KIYA Trilogy, #1)
  • Tudors (The History of England, #2)
Cleopatra the Great: The Woman Behind the Legend Chronicle of a Pharaoh: The Intimate Life of Amenhotep III The Egyptian Book of Living and Dying: The Illustrated Guide to Ancient Egyptian Wisdom Ancient Egypt: Life, Myth and Art Egypt's Sun King: Amenhotep III - An Intimate Chronicle of Ancient Egypt's Most Glorious Pharoah